Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Nugent will cost us at least 1 game this year
(08-19-2016, 01:46 PM)OrlandoBengal Wrote: Seriously though, were you not that way last year?  And even somewhat the year before?  I know I hold my breath every time he walks on the field.

Nothing can be done for you.  If you feel this way about Nugent then you will feel the same with any other kicker in the league.
Reply/Quote
(08-19-2016, 02:48 PM)kevin Wrote: Nugent is the 2nd most accurate kicker in Bengals history just behind Shayne Graham. I'm not going to post again those stats in this same thread...I am going to say that some of you are far too concerned about preseason football. ...As long as he gets the off season rust off and returns to his normal, accurate self in time for The Jets game is all I care about......A lot of Bengal starters looked pretty rusty and sloppy in preseason game 2. I'm not one bit surprised. I have seen the Bengals much worse in Preseason Game 2 before. The cut back in training camps and practices from what the NFL use to have also adds to it. ....Just as long as they are ready to go to New York in 3 weeks, that is all I care about. It would be nice to come out of New York with a win. We have a rough schedule considering we lose a home game this year. 8 on road, 7 at home, 1 in London England which to me is a neutral site, not a home game. All I care about is getting out of New York with any kind of win at all. The Bengals have not played well in New York for most of their franchise history. It would be a nice win. If I was worried about Preseason Game 2, I would have to worry about the play of the majority of the team, but I know this is why they have practices and preseason games.

Well if all you are concerned about is the regular season then you should be concerned that Nuge has finished 24th or worse in FG% in the last 3 years and has only been in the top 20 once in his Bengal career.

The upside is: I've heard a kicker's 12th year is where he finally puts it all together.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(08-19-2016, 03:09 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Well if all you are concerned about is the regular season then you should be concerned that Nuge has finished 24th or worse in FG% in the last 3 years and has only been in the top 20 once in his Bengal career.

The upside is: I've heard a kicker's 12th year is where he finally puts it all together.

Nugent is the 2nd most accurate kicker in Bengals history with over 100 attempts,  just behind Shayne Graham.....and Nugent has never missed inside the 30 for Bengals. In Bengals History he is the most accurate inside the 30 and past the 50...in between 30 and 50 he is the 2nd most accurate behind Shayne Graham. ....So I'm not worrying about preseason too much. 
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
(08-19-2016, 03:16 PM)kevin Wrote: Nugent is the 2nd most accurate kicker in Bengals history with over 100 attempts,  just behind Shayne Graham.....and Nugent has never missed inside the 30 for Bengals. In Bengals History he is the most accurate inside the 30 and past the 50...in between 30 and 50 he is the 2nd most accurate behind Shayne Graham. ....So I'm not worrying about preseason too much. 

That's why I posted regular season stats. If all the other teams had old Bengal kickers, you might have a point.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
He's our guy for this season. Get your defibrillators primed.

Reply/Quote
He isnt off to a good start. He needs to have a solid performance next two preseason games, because kickers are kind of like pitchers mentally. If he doesn't improve the next two preseason games, then I dont see how anyone can not worry going into the season. He just needs to get better quickly so he doesnt have a mental slump going into the season.
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

Reply/Quote
(08-19-2016, 02:48 PM)kevin Wrote: Nugent is the 2nd most accurate kicker in Bengals history just behind Shayne Graham.  I'm not going to post again those stats in this same thread...I am going to say that some of you are far too concerned about preseason football. ...As long as he gets the off season rust off and returns to his normal, accurate self in time for The Jets game is all I care about......A lot of Bengal starters looked pretty rusty and sloppy in preseason game 2.  I'm not one bit surprised. I have seen the Bengals much worse in Preseason Game 2 before. The cut back in training camps and practices from what the NFL use to have also adds to it. ....Just as long as they are ready to go to New York in 3 weeks, that is all I care about.  It would be nice to come out of New York with a win. We have a rough schedule considering we lose a home game this year.  8 on road, 7 at home, 1 in London England which to me is a neutral site, not a home game. All I care about is getting out of New York with any kind of win at all. The Bengals have not played well in New York for most of their franchise history. It would be a nice win.  If I was worried about Preseason Game 2, I would have to worry about the play of the majority of the team, but I know this is why they have practices and preseason games.

He's a kicker? I mean there is nothing about kicking in pre-season that will be different from the regular season. You think he wasn't giving it his full attention? Cmon. 

As for being our most accurate kickers, you won't stay "most accurate" if we don't move on when your skills start to diminish. Is that what is happening now with Mike? I dunno. Possibly. He's old for football (34) but some kickers play until 40. It depends on the guy. I trust the coaches to know whether he really is losing it from training camp but it still looks really bad missing 7 points over two weeks. 

Reply/Quote