Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
O-Line Cost Us a Championship
(02-14-2022, 09:07 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: We've been saying for 5 years - The Bengals will fix the line this offseason. It's not easy to do.

True, but it is easier if we'd stop shopping at bargain barn for o-line.
[Image: n881eg.png]
Reply/Quote
Shattered. Yes O Line needs beefing up big time. Too may 2 and 1, 3 and 1 and 4 and 1’s left behind. Not enough time to throw and way too much smacking our quarterback around allowed. So glad we went Chase last draft but we need some quality in FA and the draft for the line this off-season.
Reply/Quote
O-line showed true grit and determination but was proven to be made of paper mâché like many on here suspected.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
I like Boyd, but maybe trade him and bring in Gronk on a cheap contract and going to 2 TE sets might help the running game and protect Burrow more. Use some savings to sprinkle some good FA OL and high draft OL and problem solved.
Reply/Quote
(02-14-2022, 08:02 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: Replace them all. None are championship caliber. Trey Hopkins might be the best among the bunch but he’s a C student in a room full of D and F students. In this case the best isn’t good enough. We’ve set the bar too low.

It’s insane to even suggest cutting Jonah Williams. At the very least you try and move him inside or to RT if you can land a better LT.

Reply/Quote
Orlando Brown Jr and center Ryan Jensen
Reply/Quote
(02-14-2022, 07:59 PM)ochocincos Wrote: And this is why I find it so interesting to see people lump Hopkins in with the other guys to replace.
Hopkins has been arguably the best or second-best pass blocker on the team since the bye.
The team needs to prioritize the FAs based on the weakest links first.
The weakest links are clearly going to be:
1) RG (unless you have confidence Carman is going to take a massive leap, but the coaches didn't even have confidence to start him by season's end)
2) RT
3) LG

Replace Hopkins only after getting those 3 spots solidified.

I dont disagree but Trey is ranked 35th out of 39 at Center. And in my humble opinion Center is so valuable, have we had a Center that was a true leader since Braham?
Reply/Quote
Alot of memes coming out showing Chase wide open for a TD on Burrows last play. Burrow just needed 1 more second literally
-Housh
Reply/Quote
This is just sad

Reply/Quote
(02-14-2022, 12:45 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Defense was incredible. Stuffed the run as well as I've ever seen. Limited Stafford.

Our WRs combined for over 200 yards and 2 TDs.

Burrow was good, but limited on what plays we could run.

Mixon rushed for 73 on 4.8 per carry and even threw a TD.

ST was great once again.

---------------

But.....our "offensive" line gave up 7 sacks and had our offense game planning around it's limitations.

Burrow was sacked 70 times overall this season and it took awhile, but the injury people were worried about might have happened again. To the other knee.

Chase was great. Fix. The. Line.

Special teams was far from great. Huber needs a gold watch and sent on his merry way. Coverage was pretty decent but only because Huber was kicking short punts all night.
Reply/Quote
This team has to dip into FA to fix this line. We don’t have, correction Burrow dosent have time to hope every draft pick pans out. Not saying we shouldn’t draft Oline, we just shouldn’t depend on draft picks only. Someone should be on the phone with Armstead, Jenson and Sherff’s agents asap.
Reply/Quote
We just needed this line to be at least average and I think we would have a title. Just average!!
Reply/Quote
(02-15-2022, 04:29 AM)hoosierbengal Wrote: We just needed this line to be at least average and I think we would have a title. Just average!!

You are correct. We win by 2 TDs with an average line.  SAD.
Reply/Quote
I'm still waking up thinking "20-16". That score is stuck in my head, but I think the real one is "17-13" with a chance to put them away.
Reply/Quote
(02-14-2022, 06:16 PM)pally Wrote: Isaiah Prince...the bad among the bad

I'm heading into my 7th Annual "Fix-The-OL" Offseason, so I am clearly all on board with adding 3 good OL in FA and drafting another in the 1st round and am not surprised by most of those images.... but holy shit did Mixon not improve as a blocker like we hoped when Gio left.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(02-14-2022, 10:53 PM)casear2727 Wrote: I dont disagree but Trey is ranked 35th out of 39 at Center. And in my humble opinion Center is so valuable, have we had a Center that was a true leader since Braham?

On the whole year, yes.
But since Week 11, he's rated as 10th best C in pass blocking, according to PFF.

Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(02-15-2022, 09:15 AM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: .. but holy shit did Mixon not improve as a blocker like we hoped when Gio left.

This is why Perine sees as many snaps as he does
Reply/Quote
(02-14-2022, 09:04 PM)007BengalsFan Wrote: His grade from yesterday was a 50.9.   His grade from regular season was 51.4.  That is bad no matter how you look at it.  Just because he wasnt as bad as the rest of the O-line doesnt mean he was good. Hopkins needs to be replaced as does Spain, Adeniji and Prince. 

His grade in the Super Bowl was the highest among all the OL.
And as many have said before, his regular season has been vastly skewed by the first half before the bye week, as he was not fully recovered from his Dec 2020 injury yet.

Look. Is Hopkins bad in the run game? Yes. But he's either the best or second-best pass blocker on the team.
And when you're looking at improving the OL, you start with the weakest points first.
Teams will always scheme toward your weakest link(s), and that's RG and RT right now.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
Worst O-line performance in the history of the Super Bowl...brought you by the worst owner in the history of professional sports.

[Image: gJUO1Ok.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(02-14-2022, 12:45 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Defense was incredible. Stuffed the run as well as I've ever seen. Limited Stafford.

Our WRs combined for over 200 yards and 2 TDs.

Burrow was good, but limited on what plays we could run.

Mixon rushed for 73 on 4.8 per carry and even threw a TD.

ST was great once again.

---------------

But.....our "offensive" line gave up 7 sacks and had our offense game planning around it's limitations.

Burrow was sacked 70 times overall this season and it took awhile, but the injury people were worried about might have happened again. To the other knee.

Chase was great. Fix. The. Line.

While I completely agree with the overall sentiment, it is crucial to understand that there were no fewer than four guys that they though could have held down the other guard position from Spain:  Adeniji, 2nd round pick Carman, D'Ante Smith.  Heck, they were even saying how improved Mike Jordan was early in preseason, but I think now that was a tactic.  

Regardless, I just hate the "they didn't do anything"....to more of a "they weren't successful with their approach".  

I mean, look back at Ogbuehi, Fisher, Glenn, Price, and Williams.  All but Fisher were first round (Glenn was a first round swap of picks) and only Williams has proven to be a solid player.  Reiff was a solid addition before injury as well.

I would hope they would get a FA for the RT and the RG spot and if that costs them a large chunk of their FA dollars, so be it.  Bates to me is an automatic yes.  
Reply/Quote