Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
O-Line Cost Us a Championship
(02-14-2022, 06:40 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: Eli Apple isnt bad, he's ok

Waynes is bad. One has improved, one has regressed

I dont think Waynes is bad as much as he was rusty having missed most of the last two years to injury.  I do think it's time we moved on from Waynes.  He takes up way too much cap space for what he contributes which is almost nothing.   Apple is below average. We need someone better back there next year to help take the defense up a notch.
Reply/Quote
A major college HOF coach and top ten all time with 3 NC’s told me one time that a poor OL really effects what an OC can do play call wise. I think we had a chance to take complete charge after that shocker first play Higgins TD and then the next play Stafford throws the INT at the LA 32. We needed a TD there to make it 24-13. Instead they settled for a field goal.
Reply/Quote
(02-14-2022, 12:56 PM)Oasis5055 Wrote: If mixon rushed for 4.8 a carry then Zach Taylor’s schme and game calling cost them the Super Bowl.

Play action would have worked. Not one play action pass called

Mixons biggest gain were a designed cutback against the d and a run out of the eye with a handoff from burrow under center. Why didn’t they keep this formation to get the rams line from bull rushing them the whole night?

Taylor game planned for a shotgun run and shoot offense that played right into the rams strength the whole night. It just shows he is not flexible and from a tactical
Level not able to come up with a good game plan

Let’s face it folks look at his record before and without burrow

They got here becuase of burrow and the d. It was inspite of  Taylor not because of him

I agree with this. I think the 2 major factors for our loss were the protection obviously. But close behind that was our offensive game planning/playcalling. We were clearly out coached in the Mcvay vs Taylor category. If we build this line up while continuing to add pieces to the defense and another skill player we can continue to win inspite of Taylor. 

Taylor got us to the Superbowl and I don't want to hate but he needs literally everything for his offense to be successful. The line turned into trash yesterday and with the game on the line and just one dang yard to gain. Taylor's solution is to just drop back in the pocket and do nothing different. Get creative on the last play heck get creative on 3rd down. 
Reply/Quote
(02-14-2022, 07:01 PM)007BengalsFan Wrote: I dont think Waynes is bad as much as he was rusty having missed most of the last two years to injury.  I do think it's time we moved on from Waynes.  He takes up way too much cap space for what he contributes which is almost nothing.   Apple is below average. We need someone better back there next year to help take the defense up a notch.

There's no way Waynes is not gone. When Awuzie left the field yesterday Waynes wasn't even the next man up.
Reply/Quote
(02-14-2022, 07:18 PM)NUGDUKWE Wrote: There's no way Waynes is not gone. When Awuzie left the field yesterday Waynes wasn't even the next man up.

He's most definitely cut.

If we trade Boyd as well, this team could be absolutely rolling in cap space.

We could do soooo much to upgrade this roster.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(02-14-2022, 12:45 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Defense was incredible. Stuffed the run as well as I've ever seen. Limited Stafford.

Our WRs combined for over 200 yards and 2 TDs.

Burrow was good, but limited on what plays we could run.

Mixon rushed for 73 on 4.8 per carry and even threw a TD.

ST was great once again.

---------------

But.....our "offensive" line gave up 7 sacks and had our offense game planning around it's limitations.

Burrow was sacked 70 times overall this season and it took awhile, but the injury people were worried about might have happened again. To the other knee.

Chase was great. Fix. The. Line.

Worth noting too that we can't just address the starting OL either.
The depth behind the starters is terrible.

Multiple FAs AND multiple high draft picks need to go toward the OL.
And no, I don't mean just any players to fill a quota.
Identify good players who can fit the scheme without a lot of needed coaching.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(02-14-2022, 06:16 PM)pally Wrote: Isaiah Prince...the bad among the bad

Ouch.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
I'm sorry and yes the line is the main reason we lost, BUT, Burrow threw to the wrong man several times and hung on to the ball taking numerous sacks that should not have been. When you see the line collapse like ours did, it doesn't take a genious to throw the rock away. On the other hand, we let 1 person destroy a 5 man front that should have been double teaming this fool on every play! Their defense made changes and we did NOT!!!!

Reply/Quote
(02-14-2022, 07:20 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: He's most definitely cut.

If we trade Boyd as well, this team could be absolutely rolling in cap space.

We could do soooo much to upgrade this roster.

I love Boyd and I really don't want to trade him. But this offensive line is going to be really hard to fix. If we could trade him for a solid offensive line piece that could be really valuable. But it would still hurt.
Reply/Quote
(02-14-2022, 06:16 PM)pally Wrote: Isaiah Prince...the bad among the bad

And this is why I find it so interesting to see people lump Hopkins in with the other guys to replace.
Hopkins has been arguably the best or second-best pass blocker on the team since the bye.
The team needs to prioritize the FAs based on the weakest links first.
The weakest links are clearly going to be:
1) RG (unless you have confidence Carman is going to take a massive leap, but the coaches didn't even have confidence to start him by season's end)
2) RT
3) LG

Replace Hopkins only after getting those 3 spots solidified.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(02-14-2022, 07:47 PM)NUGDUKWE Wrote: I love Boyd and I really don't want to trade him. But this offensive line is going to be really hard to fix. If we could trade him for a solid offensive line piece that could be really valuable. But it would still hurt.

Trade him for a 2nd or 3rd rounder then. You can usually get a good contributor at WR with a Day 2 pick.
Then you can use that $7.3 mill in savings toward an OL.

If this happened, gimme Wan'Dale Robinson from UK in Rd 2 as the new slot receiver. Holy moly, that would be a hell of a young receiving corp.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
Each one of our olinemen got beat. Jonah, Spain, Hopkins...all of them.

I wouldn't be opposed to blowing it up and starting over with a new o-line. CANNOT be any worse than what we have!
[Image: n881eg.png]
Reply/Quote
(02-14-2022, 07:59 PM)ochocincos Wrote: And this is why I find it so interesting to see people lump Hopkins in with the other guys to replace.
Hopkins has been arguably the best or second-best pass blocker on the team since the bye.
1) RG (unless you have confidence Carman is going to take a massive leap, but the coaches didn't even have confidence to start him by season's end)
2) RT
3) LG

Replace them all. None are championship caliber. Trey Hopkins might be the best among the bunch but he’s a C student in a room full of D and F students. In this case the best isn’t good enough. We’ve set the bar too low.
Reply/Quote
(02-14-2022, 08:02 PM)Capt.Morgan Wrote: Each one of our olinemen got beat. Jonah, Spain, Hopkins...all of them.

I wouldn't be opposed to blowing it up and starting over with a new o-line. CANNOT be any worse than what we have!

Agree. +1.

Ask yourself this: Which current Bengal offensive linemen could start in Los Angeles, Tennessee, San Francisco, or Kansas City? Those are the four best offensive lines the Bengals faced all year.

The answer is zero.
Reply/Quote
(02-14-2022, 08:05 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: Agree.  +1.

Ask yourself this:  Which current Bengal offensive linemen could start in Los Angeles, Tennessee, San Francisco, or Kansas City?  Those are the four best offensive lines the Bengals faced all year.

The answer is zero.

Spain could start for Rams, Jonah would have started for banged up Trent Williams. Charlie Weis on Sirus XM suggested we keep Jonah and spend all our money on 4 quality lineman and draft 2 in first 2 rounds as backups
Reply/Quote
Bengals can’t go into next season starting Adjani and Prince on the right side. They also can’t afford to gamble on Carman taking a massive leap going into next season. If any of those three are starting opening day then the offensive line wasn’t properly addressed.
Reply/Quote
If 5 of the linemen are the worst in the league the problem proabably is with your talent evaluation or coaching schemes. Run and shoot offenses always leads to more sacks
Reply/Quote
(02-14-2022, 12:45 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Defense was incredible. Stuffed the run as well as I've ever seen. Limited Stafford.

Our WRs combined for over 200 yards and 2 TDs.

Burrow was good, but limited on what plays we could run.

Mixon rushed for 73 on 4.8 per carry and even threw a TD.

ST was great once again.

---------------

But.....our "offensive" line gave up 7 sacks and had our offense game planning around it's limitations.

Burrow was sacked 70 times overall this season and it took awhile, but the injury people were worried about might have happened again. To the other knee.

Chase was great. Fix. The. Line.

Yes sir Shake. Couldn't of had an example of a game to really point out what needs to be done with this team.

Fix the O-line and this team can win the whole thing next year. We WILL be better than we were this year, sure of it.

We are a young team with relatively young coaches so we can learn and fine tune what we do.

Add a mixture of Scherff, James Daniels, Armstead, Moses in Free Agency...

No excuses.
Reply/Quote
(02-14-2022, 07:59 PM)ochocincos Wrote: And this is why I find it so interesting to see people lump Hopkins in with the other guys to replace.
2) RT
3) LG

His grade from yesterday was a 50.9.   His grade from regular season was 51.4.  That is bad no matter how you look at it.  Just because he wasnt as bad as the rest of the O-line doesnt mean he was good. Hopkins needs to be replaced as does Spain, Adeniji and Prince. 
Reply/Quote
We've been saying for 5 years - The Bengals will fix the line this offseason. It's not easy to do.
Reply/Quote