Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
O-line still available
Even though they didn't land Zeitler, Thuney or even one of my personal favorites, Matt Feiler...there are still some good options out there to be had including guys like Turner or Jackson at G, Schwartz at RT, and Andrews, Reiter or Martin at C. Even Trent Williams is still available the last time I checked, although I don't think the Bengals would be players for him, sadly.

They spent a lot on defense last year and pretty much ignored the o-line. Hopefully, they add a couple of these guys. I feel like Jackson is a good fit, Schwartz would be a solid addition if he's healthy and I really like the idea of David Andrews as well. 
Reply/Quote
I just hope that it wasn't their plan to wait til all the good players were gone and then grab some second or third tier players.

I also hope that they're not just waiting until after final cuts to grab some players on the cheap.

Hopefully we at least make some attempts to improve the line and give Burrow some protection.
Reply/Quote
(03-16-2021, 02:54 AM)Bengalholic Wrote: Even though they didn't land Zeitler, Thuney or even one of my personal favorites, Matt Feiler...there are still some good options out there to be had including guys like Turner or Jackson at G, Schwartz at RT, and Andrews, Reiter or Martin at C. Even Trent Williams is still available the last time I checked, although I don't think the Bengals would be players for him, sadly.

They spent a lot on defense last year and pretty much ignored the o-line. Hopefully, they add a couple of these guys. I feel like Jackson is a good fit, Schwartz would be a solid addition if he's healthy and I really like the idea of David Andrews as well. 

If we got Jackson/Turner/Warford at G and picked up David Andrews* at C and got another WR I'd be pretty content with the free agency. Just my dream scenario was 2 G's 
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Reiff and Spain would go a long way toward shoring up the pass protection.  

For a moon shot/backup I'd take a look at Julien Davenport who started for an 11 win Texans team just a few years ago.

Looking at Nick Martin might not be a horrible idea if they don't expect Hopkins to be ready or want to transition one to guard.
Reply/Quote
(03-16-2021, 02:54 AM)Bengalholic Wrote: Even though they didn't land Zeitler, Thuney or even one of my personal favorites, Matt Feiler...there are still some good options out there to be had including guys like Turner or Jackson at G, Schwartz at RT, and Andrews, Reiter or Martin at C. Even Trent Williams is still available the last time I checked, although I don't think the Bengals would be players for him, sadly.

Feiler for 7 mill was a good deal tho.
Reply/Quote

Unless I missed a signing Villanueva is still available also
Reply/Quote
Looks like this will.be a offensive heavy draft for the Bengals
Reply/Quote
I liked the Hendrickson signing, but I would trade FAs with the Chargers in a heartbeat.

Corey Linsley
Matt Feiler
vs
Trey Hendrickson
Chidobe Awuzie

...which one of those seems like a better job by the FO who needs to protect their young franchise QB better? Because both teams came into the FA with the same need, but have taken vastly different approaches.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(03-16-2021, 01:52 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: I liked the Hendrickson signing, but I would trade FAs with the Chargers in a heartbeat.

Corey Linsley
Matt Feiler
vs
Trey Hendrickson
Chidobe Awuzie

...which one of those seems like a better job by the FO who needs to protect their young franchise QB better? Because both teams came into the FA with the same need, but have taken vastly different approaches.

We signed Hendrickson then eh? Awesome.  Rock On

Like him over Lawson. Still a lot of good OL out there. We can still have a good FA.
Reply/Quote
Sign Melvin Ingram or Hassan reddick and either Gabe Jackson or Trae turner and then I’m happy
Reply/Quote
(03-16-2021, 01:52 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: I liked the Hendrickson signing, but I would trade FAs with the Chargers in a heartbeat.

Corey Linsley
Matt Feiler
vs
Trey Hendrickson
Chidobe Awuzie

That is my only gripe. 
Reply/Quote
With Defense the Main Focus at start of Free Agency, Bengals are setting themselves to Focus on Blocking in The Draft. ESPN, CBS, NBC, have Bengals taking Sewell near top of Round 1. That would give Bengals bookend Tackles of Williams and Sewell. Of course they need to level up at Guard and Center up the Gut also.

Improved Defense and Improved Blocking would do wonders for what has been the worst team in the trenches in NFL since 2017 season. Protecting Joe Heisman at QB, who they broke with poor blocking, That must be the #1 priority. A short injured career for Joe Burrow like a Greg Cook sets Bengals back light years on New Dey Rebuild.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
(03-16-2021, 02:21 PM)kevin Wrote: With Defense the Main Focus at start of Free Agency, Bengals are setting themselves to Focus on Blocking in The Draft.  ESPN, CBS, NBC, have Bengals taking Sewell near top of Round 1.  That would give Bengals bookend Tackles of Williams and Sewell.  Of course they need to level up at Guard and Center up the Gut also.

Improved Defense and Improved Blocking would do wonders for what has been the worst team in the trenches in NFL since 2017 season.

I have issues if Bengals are waiting for the draft to fill the needs of the OL. Firstly, these guys have not proven they can excel or even hang at an NFL level. Our history of OL draftees are proof that is a bad decision and the FO should know that. They need to shore up this line in FA imo. 

Reply/Quote
[Image: EwnbV5lXMAEiPH-?format=jpg&name=small]

Reply/Quote
(03-16-2021, 02:27 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: [Image: EwnbV5lXMAEiPH-?format=jpg&name=small]

It's funny but also sad.... cause it's true

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

Reply/Quote
(03-16-2021, 02:24 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: I have issues if Bengals are waiting for the draft to fill the needs of the OL. Firstly, these guys have not proven they can excel or even hang at an NFL level. Our history of OL draftees are proof that is a bad decision and the FO should know that. They need to shore up this line in FA imo. 

That would mean Mike Brown who on Max Montoya and about 15 years later on Zeitler said of both, " WHY SHOULD I PAY A GUARD ", that would mean Mike has changed or something around Bengals has changed.  I would hope seeing Top Pick Heisman Franchise QB carried off field injured due to no blocking might wake them up on bringing in Blocking.   I am all for good veteran blockers if Mikey gets off the cheap finally.  Otherwise, load up in the draft early and often on Blocking. Do something, because we have worst O Line in NFL over the last 4 years ever since Whit and Zeitler were not kept. Football 101 even in grade school is, WE MUST PROTECT THE QUARTERBACK.

1968 Bengal Fan
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
(03-16-2021, 02:33 PM)kevin Wrote:  WE MUST PROTECT THE QUARTERBACK.

AT ALL COST!

Reply/Quote
We really need to give up on getting a good or even decent O-lineman in free agency. Ownership does not now, nor has it ever since Daddy Dearest died, cared about paying interior linemen their worth.
Reply/Quote
Mentioned in the FA forum but....

The #Raiders are releasing Pro Bowl center Rodney Hudson, source said, a surprise in Las Vegas as their O-line receives a nearly complete facelift.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(03-16-2021, 03:49 PM)jj22 Wrote: Mentioned in the FA forum but....

The #Raiders are releasing Pro Bowl center Rodney Hudson, source said, a surprise in Las Vegas as their O-line receives a nearly complete facelift.

Can we just sign him, Gabe Jackson and one more decent OG and draft Sewell rd 1? Probably not gonna happen but it would be nice.
Reply/Quote