Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
O linemen still on the board.
(04-30-2021, 04:41 PM)muskiesfan Wrote: Agreed. I don't see many people saying that there isn't OL talent still available or that there's a lack of it in the draft. The problem is the lack OL talent on the team. We need to address the OL now. I have no problem with taking Chase first if at least the 2nd and 3rd pick are on OL. At best, our starters are an average OL. Our back ups are absolutely terrible and we're only 1 injury away from them protecting the franchise.

Agree we need at least a couple picks on OL but I won't freak out if we don't go OL in the 3rd if there is a crazy talent there 
and go back to OL in the 4th. Say Creed Humphrey, Milton Williams and Spencer Brown or something alike.

BTW Reiff is younger than Whit was when we let him go and I sure hope we learned from that mistake.

Just referencing TJ528's post. Think we will extend him if he plays well.
Reply/Quote
Landon Dickerson

Wow - watched his tape and interviews.....his injury history is just too much to swallow potentially, but I love the guys play, attitude, intelligence, personality, etc. He's big nasty and loves to put people on the ground.

But damn....the injury history.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Two ACL tears for a line position is a really tough sell.
Everything in this post is my fault.
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2021, 05:11 PM)Stewy Wrote: Landon Dickerson

Wow - watched his tape and interviews.....his injury history is just too much to swallow potentially, but I love the guys play, attitude, intelligence, personality, etc.  He's big nasty and loves to put people on the ground.

But damn....the injury history.

I know, he would be my pick for sure without that injury history.

So I take Creed.
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2021, 05:04 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: BTW Reiff is younger than Whit was when we let him go and I sure hope we learned from that mistake.

Most OL guys dont age like Whitworth...  Hes the unicorn lol
Reply/Quote
I seriously wouldn't be surprised if the Bengals drafted BPA and drafted the defensive side of the ball. I've been watching tape of all the eligible Lineman I'd be happy with most...
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2021, 05:04 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Agree we need at least a couple picks on OL but I won't freak out if we don't go OL in the 3rd if there is a crazy talent there 
and go back to OL in the 4th. Say Creed Humphrey, Milton Williams and Spencer Brown or something alike.

BTW Reiff is younger than Whit was when we let him go and I sure hope we learned from that mistake.

Just referencing TJ528's post. Think we will extend him if he plays well.

Nate, if i'm correct Whit was 34 yo when we let him walk in 2016.  Reiff I thought i seen somewhere is 33 years old or will be this season. 

Do you think they're going to give a 10+M multi year contract to someone 34yo+ if they didn't give it to Whit?  I mean if Reiff has a good year I'm all for it but we all know how this franchise operates.  We thought they'd open the wallet for an interior OL guy this off season...nope still thinking like they didn't 10 years ago with Steinbach and Zeitler. 
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2021, 05:16 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: Most OL guys dont age like Whitworth...  Hes the unicorn lol

True.

(04-30-2021, 05:18 PM)TJ528 Wrote: Nate, if i'm correct Whit was 34 yo when we let him walk in 2016.  Reiff I thought i seen somewhere is 33 years old or will be this season. 

Do you think they're going to give a 10+M multi year contract to someone 34yo+ if they didn't give it to Whit?  I mean if Reiff has a good year I'm all for it but we all know how this franchise operates.  We thought they'd open the wallet for an interior OL guy this off season...nope still thinking like they didn't 10 years ago with Steinbach and Zeitler. 

Pretty sure Whit was at least 36 pushing 37 when we let him go and as we saw it was a huge mistake.

Yes, Reiff is 33 and if he plays well we can give him a couple more years. Just hope this FO learns from its mistakes.

You could be right and they don't, we will see. This Offseason was the year of 1 year deals, players were taking 1 year deals
all over the NFL this year. It wouldn't surprise me if they signed some of these guys like Reiff intending to extend them next
year. 

On your last point, Zeit was WAY overpaid by the Stains and some could argue the same with Steinbach. We definitely need 
to hold interior O-line play in a higher regard though that is for damn sure. Glad they brought back Spain.
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2021, 05:18 PM)TJ528 Wrote: ..nope still thinking like they didn't 10 years ago with Steinbach and Zeitler. 

Bengals have paid guards like Boling well before.  Steinbach and Zeitler were not just paid well.  They were given contracts pretty close to the highest n the league at their position.

In fact most people agree Steinbach was over paid.  So if the Bengals had made him the highest paid OG in the league in order to keep him you would probably be bitching about how stupid they were to do that.
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2021, 05:16 PM)Socal Bengals fan Wrote: I seriously wouldn't be surprised if the Bengals drafted BPA and drafted the defensive side of the ball.  I've been watching tape of all the eligible Lineman I'd be happy with most...

I'll log off the forums till the end of the draft if they do that, not because I'll disagree or agree with the pick, but because I don't want to hear the whining.
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2021, 05:38 PM)Stewy Wrote: I'll log off the forums till the end of the draft if they do that, not because I'll disagree or agree with the pick, but because I don't want to hear the whining.

I don't think it matters at this point, I doubt they can fix this o-line with a second and third rounder.  I would say the odds of getting an above average player in round 2 are probably 50% at best, and 3rd rounders are probably like 25%.  So if we draft one in the 2nd and 3rd we have about a 75% chance of getting 1 good lineman.  I think we are weak at 3 spots so most likely we go into the year with 3 legit starting caliber NFL lineman.  Maybe there are some free agents out there still that we have an eye on.
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2021, 05:47 PM)AtomicBlaze Wrote: I don't think it matters at this point, I doubt they can fix this o-line with a second and third rounder.  I would say the odds of getting an above average player in round 2 are probably 50% at best, and 3rd rounders are probably like 25%.  So if we draft one in the 2nd and 3rd we have about a 75% chance of getting 1 good lineman.  I think we are weak at 3 spots so most likely we go into the year with 3 legit starting caliber NFL lineman.  Maybe there are some free agents out there still that we have an eye on.

Wow - you really aren't paying attention to what's left in this draft if that's what you think.  Multiple evaluators and "what's left on the boards" analysis today have predicted there are at least 4-6 first day OLine starters and 8-12 future starters with just 2nd rnd or low 2nd round grades left on the board.

I know you're among the Sewell butt hurt crowd, but at least try to sound like you actually follow the draft and try to make posts with more than pure emotion.
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2021, 05:53 PM)Stewy Wrote:  there are at least 4-6 first day OLine starters and 8-12 future starters with just 2nd rnd or low 2nd round grades left on the board.

I think those numbers are too high, but I guarantee there will be at least one highly rated O-lineman left at #38 and that is all we need.
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2021, 10:55 AM)Synric Wrote: If Teven Jenkins is gone I can see a trade back for Wyatt Davis. I just believe he is a perfect fit for the Bengals.

Love Davis...when healthy
Reply/Quote
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cw8M4FOFRV0

Hope Pollack gets HIS GUY for round 2 and destroys tables like this.
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2021, 05:55 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I think those numbers are too high, but I guarantee there will be at least one highly rated O-lineman left at #38 and that is all we need.

https://www.nfl.com/news/best-remaining-prospects-available-in-the-2021-nfl-draft

Based on this list of the Top 150 players remaining in the draft I scrolled up till I found the first OLineman predicted to be a starter, which was Trey Smith of Tennessee at Rnk 122.

There are 22 OLinemen ranked as eventual or day 1 starters at or above Rnk 122.

So while this is just NFL.com's evaluation, it does show the breadth of talent left and that my numbers probably weren't too high.

PFF has 18 first day/eventual potential OLIne starters left in their top 100 remaining - https://www.pff.com/news/draft-ranking-100-best-available-2021-nfl-draft-prospects-tracker

Bottom line - there is alot of talent left that could provide immediate impact.
Reply/Quote