Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
OJ Howard
Eh, Howard wouldn't have made that big of a difference this year.

The bengals added a lot of speed on defense the last 2 years and that is paying a good return on investment.

They tried with the OL two years ago, but they should have at least retained whit on the tag for one year to allow the young guys to develop... more.

I'm just tired of our first round pick not contributing in the first year, regardless of position. Luckily this year we got a few players in later rounds producing at high levels. But the last first round pick to really contribute year 1 was Green/zeitler (and I guess eifert)

I just hope ross is healthy after the bye and can do for the bengals what hill does for the cheifs. 1-3 carries, and catch 4-6 balls a game. But all the motioning that hill does in KC keeps defenses and edge rushers on their toes.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(10-11-2017, 10:35 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: It sucks that Ross is off to a bad start, but it's not like Howard is doing much to be envious about. 4 catches (on 9 targets) in 4 games.

Could be rookie struggles, but either way we're probably better off with Kroft right now.

TB uses Charles as mainly a blocker.

Brate is their receiving TE and he has a bunch of TD's.

People would be complaining about Charles only being used as a blocker here. He's been rather disappointing.
Reply/Quote
(10-11-2017, 10:59 PM)Deanlj69 Wrote: I sure do miss Gresham

Gresham was horrible. Drops. He was uninterested in putting effort into blocking although he did decent at it.

Gresham had amazing hands as a rookie...then seemed to get worse and less reliable the longer he was here.

I think he had concentration issues.
Reply/Quote
(10-12-2017, 09:50 AM)ochocincos Wrote: Since at least Marvin Lewis came to Cincinnati, every TE the Bengals have had was expected to be at least serviceable as a blocker. It's why we never saw anything out of Chase Coffman. He never saw the field because he couldn't block. If you can't block, you won't be used much on the Cincinnati Bengals offense.

EDIT - And that's why Howard would have been a great fit on this team. He excelled at blocking at Alabama. He was probably the best blocker out of all the TEs in the draft. On top of that, he was very athletic and has a ton of potential as a receiving weapon. It's just behind his blocking ability right now.

I could have sworn that Howard wasn't very good as a blocking TE? Doesn't matter now though, he plays for another team.
Reply/Quote
He was considered a freak athlete that didn't produce big numbers in college because Alabama didn't know how to use him.
Reply/Quote
(10-12-2017, 12:31 AM)Synric Wrote: Andy Dalton is one of very QBs to throw for 3000+ yards 20+ TDs in hist first 3 years. He's one of what very few QBs to take his team to the playoffs 5 times in a row.

You seem to call him a mediocre QB alot lol. Just saying pot kettle man.

I liked Gresh, but I could see why people wanted him gone. Dude just had a knack for fumbling the ball, dropping a pass and/or causing a penalty that would result in the end of an offensive drive. 

So, when it comes to Gresh I'm kind of bfine's side here, but damn, way to use his own logic against him. Proprs (and rep) to you, sir. ThumbsUp
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
Definately seems like it would of been the better pick for us right now after Ross not being able to play and Eifert going down.

Was for the pick at the time as well.
Reply/Quote
(10-12-2017, 12:30 PM)PhilHos Wrote: I liked Gresh, but I could see why people wanted him gone. Dude just had a knack for fumbling the ball, dropping a pass and/or causing a penalty that would result in the end of an offensive drive. 

So, when it comes to Gresh I'm kind of bfine's side here, but damn, way to use his own logic against him. Proprs (and rep) to you, sir. ThumbsUp

Seem to remember Gresh also had "unknown injuries or illnesses" his last season here. Lap even called him out for it.... 
Reply/Quote
(10-12-2017, 12:31 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Definately seems like it would of been the better pick for us right now after Ross not being able to play and Eifert going down.

Was for the pick at the time as well.

Don't give up on Ross yet!
Reply/Quote
(10-11-2017, 11:40 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Kroft receptions first 2 years in the league: 21

Gresh receptions first 2 years in the league: 108

Tyler Kroft in 2017: 14 catches for 139 yards and 2 TDs on 17 targets
Jermaine Gresham: 12 catches for 90 yards and 0 TDs on 18 targets

Tyler Kroft contract: 2 years and 1.37 million remaining (including 2017)
Jermaine Gresham contract: 4 years and 28 million

Tyler Kroft is much more productive and way cheaper.

Why should we want Gresh again?

(10-12-2017, 12:25 AM)Synric Wrote: So your narrative is even though he's this amazing receiving TE Arizona just refuses to use him that way...he then resigned in ARZ to be ill used as a receiver.

That makes me chuckle.

Exactly. If Gresh were such a talented receiver, he'd be a fool to sign in a place that lowers his value. Twice.

(10-12-2017, 12:31 AM)Synric Wrote: Andy Dalton is one of very QBs to throw for 3000+ yards 20+ TDs in hist first 3 years. He's one of what very few QBs to take his team to the playoffs 5 times in a row.

Dalton holds every meaningful season record in franchise history and is now 3rd in Bengals history in passing yards. Clearly he's a talented QB.  Cool

(10-12-2017, 02:26 AM)The Caped Crusader Wrote: Funny how people defend Gresham quicker than Dalton...

Ain't it? I've always found it funny that some of the same people who vigorously defend Marvin, Gresh or a mediocre RB like Ced Benson take the opposite side on Dalton (and Palmer).

Dalton and Palmer are better at their positions than any of those guys were at their's. Not to mention talent at QB is harder to find than talent at any of those positions.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(10-12-2017, 12:33 PM)sandwedge Wrote: Don't give up on Ross yet!

I haven't man, i am still one of the people on here that think he could be the most explosive player in this
Draft when it is all said and done if he can stay healthy. My only concern with him was the injuries, that is
the thing, he is still a rookie and they are taking it slow.

He was one tough mutha in college playing through the shoulder injury and then the knee injuries.

If we are talking potential for the player, Ross definately has the edge in my opinion over Howard. Just
agreeing with the ones using this hindsight. Eifert looking done sucks but Kroft has stepped up and Uzi on
that one big play last game.

In the end once Ross gets out there full go he could really shut some guys up on here with his skills.
Reply/Quote
(10-12-2017, 12:46 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: I haven't man, i am still one of the people on here that think he could be the most explosive player in this
Draft when it is all said and done if he can stay healthy. My only concern with him was the injuries, that is
the thing, he is still a rookie and they are taking it slow.

He was one tough mutha in college playing through the shoulder injury and then the knee injuries.

If we are talking potential for the player, Ross definately has the edge in my opinion over Howard. Just
agreeing with the ones using this hindsight. Eifert looking done sucks but Kroft has stepped up and Uzi on
that one big play last game.

In the end once Ross gets out there full go he could really shut some guys up on here with his skills.

Agreed. If a WR and TE both pan out...the WR impacts the game more.

With all that said...our offense DESPERATELY needs Speed.
Reply/Quote
(10-12-2017, 04:30 AM)grampahol Wrote: Sure does a lot of good to argue over players not on this team. 
Right now I'm focusing on the guys we have, not the ones we don't have.
Kroft is turning out to be a pretty good TE. He can block and can catch.  He's not a huge TD threat, but oh well.  He seems to be a real go-to guy on 3rd down which is huge. 
Uzamah? I'm not as sold on him.  He's dropped several passes though not this season because he hasn't been on the field much yet.
The book is still open on Ross. I'm not going to try to predict his future, but it would be nice to have him healthy and producing at a high level. 
As for Eifert.. ehhh.. He's not on the field and healthy anymore. It was nice while it lasted and it's possible he might make it back this season, but I seriously doubt it. The bengals site seems to have written him off for season ending surgery. He's certainly not in any kind of shape to bargain for a huge contract next year..

1 drop in his career.

Just 1.
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
I don't really get this has OJ howard really impressed anyone ?
Reply/Quote
(10-12-2017, 01:52 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: I don't really get this has OJ howard really impressed anyone ?

Maybe it's his name? Ninja
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote

That's different because he ummm, you know it's ummm, ...........ok, it's exactly the same thing !
Reply/Quote
(10-11-2017, 10:40 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I was/am not a fan of the Ross pick, but if you're going to look back at least pick someone that is doing something, such as David Njoku

I agree about Njoku. That said, the main reason Howard isn't getting many looks is because Winston has chemistry with Brate. That and the rookie thing. Howard may be putting up numbers under different circumstances.
Reply/Quote
Has OJ Howard even played this year?

Njoku has been playing all year long, so compare Ross to Njoku at least.

I'd rather have Ross right now since at he time we had Eifert, and now we have Kroft playing well and making plays for us. We don't need some huge godly talent at TE, we just need a guy who can play and make some catches to extend drives and possibly catch a couple TDs. Kroft has been that type of player and that's what we need right now.

I loved the Gresham pick. I think it was the right move to let him go in FA. He made a lot of crucial mistakes and got lost in games where we needed him the most. He played with a lot of passion when he was getting passes thrown to him and just didn't care when he wasn't getting looks. When he had back surgery I think the Bengals did the right thing in letting him go find a team who might give him what he was looking for.
Reply/Quote

That's gonna leave a mark...

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(10-12-2017, 06:08 PM)Gdale_Bengal Wrote: Has OJ Howard even played this year?

Njoku has been playing all year long, so compare Ross to Njoku at least.

I'd rather have Ross right now since at he time we had Eifert, and now we have Kroft playing well and making plays for us. We don't need some huge godly talent at TE, we just need a guy who can play and make some catches to extend drives and possibly catch a couple TDs. Kroft has been that type of player and that's what we need right now.

I loved the Gresham pick. I think it was the right move to let him go in FA. He made a lot of crucial mistakes and got lost in games where we needed him the most. He played with a lot of passion when he was getting passes thrown to him and just didn't care when he wasn't getting looks. When he had back surgery I think the Bengals did the right thing in letting him go find a team who might give him what he was looking for.

Njoku is a good TE. I liked him at Miami...but he's on an offense with very few weapons.

Howard is on an offense with Mike Evans and Desean Jackson with an established TE.
Reply/Quote