Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3.5 Average
OL hits and sacks - Joe Goodberry
Big picture Williams is the only good young lineman we have and he's played 10 games in two years. Hopkins was average at best an he's coming of a week 17 ACL and Price is a 1st round bust going into year 4. The guard position is brutal too XSF was a backup with Dallas and the 5 games he played for us he didn't pass the eye test for me and PFF had him at a 59.1 overall. I think Spain is slightly below average on a good day. Need to draft multiple lineman in my opinion if the value is there.
Reply/Quote
(04-13-2021, 05:35 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: Whoever came up with that plan should be fired. Or Burrow gets one free shot at hitting then in their nuts.

If it was Turner, then he already was.   Cool
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(04-13-2021, 05:27 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Side note..  Is it just me, or is anyone else's mind conditioned to automatically read that as WTF when they see it?

See the same thing every time.

(04-13-2021, 05:32 PM)BenZoo2 Wrote: Yup.  But when it comes the WFT WTF is very appropriate

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lol

So true.

(04-13-2021, 05:41 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: I have come to just call them DC. 

Not because of any wistfulness of their old name, but simply because their new name is absolutely stupid, long, sounds like it belongs in MLS, and the only one that doesn't follow the naming convention of the NFL.

The entire thing was stupid, let alone how long does it take to pick out a name for your NFL football team?
Reply/Quote
(04-13-2021, 06:02 PM)lone bengal Wrote: Big picture Williams is the only good young lineman we have and he's played 10 games in two years. Hopkins was average at best an he's coming of a week 17 ACL and Price is a 1st round bust going into year 4. The guard position is brutal too XSF was a backup with Dallas and the 5 games he played for us he didn't pass the eye test for me and PFF had him at a 59.1 overall. I think Spain is slightly below average on a good day. Need to draft multiple lineman in my opinion if the value is there.

From what I recall, I believe he could have played some toward the end of 2019, but there was no real reason to given the team's record and wanting to hold onto the 1st overall pick. As such, they chose to leave him on IR.
I don't really count his rookie year at all, since that seemed to be a team decision to get his shoulder surgery for long-term purposes.
And when looking at his 2020 injury, I wouldn't really say it's because he's "injury prone."
He got his right knee taken out from behind as the QB stepped up in the pocket.
Those kinds of injuries can happen whether you're "injury-prone" or not.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(04-13-2021, 06:12 PM)ochocincos Wrote: From what I recall, I believe he could have played some toward the end of 2019, but there was no real reason to given the team's record and wanting to hold onto the 1st overall pick. As such, they chose to leave him on IR.
I don't really count his rookie year at all, since that seemed to be a team decision to get his shoulder surgery for long-term purposes.
And when looking at his 2020 injury, I wouldn't really say it's because he's "injury prone."
He got his right knee taken out from behind as the QB stepped up in the pocket.
Those kinds of injuries can happen whether you're "injury-prone" or not.

Agreed, plus I also like Adeniji who is young. It isn't all sunshine and rainbows but the OL isn't THAT far off IMO.

Draft Sewell and we will have a talented OT that can also play Guard to start off to not throw him to the wolves immediately.

Grab Meinerz, Creed Humphrey, Carman, Spencer Brown etc in the 2nd or 3rd and we will be sitting pretty good barring injury.

Extend Reiff next year if he plays well. Spain and XSF could be good with an entire Offseason in Pollack's system.
Reply/Quote
If we can make it through the season without Jordan seeing the field that’s going to be extremely beneficial to our entire offense. He is so, so bad.

Reply/Quote
(04-13-2021, 07:13 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: If we can make it through the season without Jordan seeing the field that’s going to be extremely beneficial to our entire offense. He is so, so bad.

Like to see us add enough depth to the OL group that we just cut him. 

He is just brutal.

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

Reply/Quote
(04-13-2021, 07:18 PM)Murdock2420 Wrote: Like to see us add enough depth to the OL group that we just cut him. 

He is just brutal.

They won’t. Between working with Willie, and Pollack coming in I’m sure they want to see if there’s any salvaging him. I just hope it only in practice.

Reply/Quote
(04-13-2021, 02:49 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: How many of these are on the OL for blown assignment or the QB for holding the ball to long?  do they have that break down? or sacks within 2.5 seconds

Saw somewhere that said PFF has 9 sacks attributed to Joe Burrow.

So ~28% of the sacks Burrow took were his own fault according to them. The OL was terrible and I don't like Taylor's offense, but that's way too many unnecessary sacks taken by a QB. 

Hopefully it was just him being a rookie and he cleans it up rather than following the Andrew Luck path.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(04-13-2021, 07:36 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Saw somewhere that said PFF has 9 sacks attributed to Joe Burrow.

So ~28% of the sacks Burrow took were his own fault according to them. The OL was terrible and I don't like Taylor's offense, but that's way too many unnecessary sacks taken by a QB. 

Hopefully it was just him being a rookie and he cleans it up rather than following the Andrew Luck path.

I think Burrow will learn. Thanks for this, thought one of his biggest weaknesses last year was taking unnecessary hits and sacks.
Reply/Quote
Burrow definitely needs to cut down the coverage sacks, but almost anyone is going to be an upgrade over last year’s version of AJ. So hopefully having a better starting WR will help a lot with that.

Reply/Quote
(04-13-2021, 07:36 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Saw somewhere that said PFF has 9 sacks attributed to Joe Burrow.

Ehh. Hard to say. He may eliminate a few of those but that’s just the type of player he is I think. He is going to keep fighting to make a play. And I would rather not coach that out of him.
Reply/Quote
(04-13-2021, 07:56 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Burrow definitely needs to cut down the coverage sacks, but almost anyone is going to be an upgrade over last year’s version of AJ. So hopefully having a better starting WR will help a lot with that.

True. A younger WR core should help along with better blocking and a run game.

(04-13-2021, 08:00 PM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: Ehh. Hard to say. He may eliminate a few of those but that’s just the type of player he is I think. He is going to keep fighting to make a play. And I would rather not coach that out of him.

That one play he made last year was ridiculous where he made multiple Defenders miss and hit Tee on the sideline...

Special quality, agree, don't want that stuff coached out of him.
Reply/Quote
(04-13-2021, 08:06 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: True. A younger WR core should help along with better blocking and a run game.

That one play he made last year was ridiculous where he made multiple Defenders miss and hit Tee on the sideline...

Special quality, agree, don't want that stuff coached out of him.

Also, the play against Tennessee where he juked about 5 guys and almost ran for the first himself. I’ll take some occasional sacks to get stuff like that.

Reply/Quote
(04-13-2021, 08:15 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Also, the play against Tennessee where he juked about 5 guys and almost ran for the first himself. I’ll take some occasional sacks to get stuff like that.

It might end in a sack sometimes but these types of plays also could end in miracle plays that win games and inspire the 
other players. No doubting the try in Joe Burrow that is for damn sure. He is the type of QB that players want to play with.

Guy could be the best and I am not even kidding. Happy he is on my team just need to protect the man.
Reply/Quote
We can talk about pass blocking all we want but run blocking was just as bad. The IOL has to be fixed. If we can run the ball on a consistent basis then the passing game will open up.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(04-13-2021, 09:55 PM)J24 Wrote: We can talk about pass blocking all we want but run blocking was just as bad. The IOL has to be fixed. If we can run the ball on a consistent basis then the passing game will open up.

For sure.
Reply/Quote
(04-13-2021, 12:41 PM)Big Boss Wrote: His tweets about Michael Jordan specifically are deeply disturbing.  Led ALL offensive linemen in QB hits allowed.

MJ is a dumpster fire.
Reply/Quote
(04-13-2021, 12:37 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Joe Goodberry posted the following information regarding what each OL allowed in terms of hits and sacks on their QB.

I can't post his other tweets because he uses the F word in there, so I'll just post the metrics and you can access his twitter for the actual posts.

Williams - 6 hits, 3 sacks
Su'a Filo + Spain - 5 hits, 2 sacks
Hopkins - 1 hit, 1 sack
Reiff - 7 hits, 1 sack

Other guys from last year:
Jordan - 15 hits, 3 sacks (led all guards in QB hits allowed)
Hart - 8 hits, 4 sacks
Redmond - 2 hits, 3 sacks
Johnson - 5 hits, 2 sacks
Adeniji - 2 hits, 4 sacks

^ Brilliance and makes me even more on team Chase. Not even a single doubt in my mind at this point.

I wouldn't even be made w a RB, TE, Edge, or whatever in the 2nd and then someone like Creed Humphry in the 3rd, or the OT, Hudson from UC. Lots of options. Some of these top O line guys will fall out of round 2 into the 3rd or even 4th. It is a DEEP O line class.
Reply/Quote
(04-13-2021, 10:57 PM)PDub80 Wrote: ^ Brilliance and makes me even more on team Chase. Not even a single doubt in my mind at this point.

I wouldn't even be made w a RB, TE, Edge, or whatever in the 2nd and then someone like Creed Humphry in the 3rd, or the OT, Hudson from UC. Lots of options. Some of these top O line guys will fall out of round 2 into the 3rd or even 4th. It is a DEEP O line class.

I’m with you on taking Chase, but if we don’t go OL in the 2nd we riot.

Reply/Quote