Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
OLine Help for Joey!!!
I've already seen so many posts from fans on here that the Bengals will be the same 'Ole Bengals and not do anything to protect Burrow through FA and/or the Draft....blah blah blah. You guys are just plain crazy if you think they won't upgrade everywhere on their OL with his injury. (Burrow's career could be over with another catastrophic injury allowed by the line).
They already started by bringing in a better OL coach. That was Step 1.
Step 2 is FA. I'm sure the Bengal brass saw that Brady was the most untouched QB in the League this year. I'm sure they saw how Cleveland's line became the best OL in the league as well for Mayfield. I'm sure they also saw how the OL demise in Pitt led to their downfall at the end in getting dominated by DL in Cleveland.
How did both TB and CLEVE make it work? FA and the Draft!
The Bengals brass is smart enough to realize that if they don't do something drastic to protect Burrow after this injury, they've lost their only hope for Playoffs/Super Bowl for years to come. They will not let that happen.

FREE AGENCY: You can certainly expect at least 1 High priced FA Tackle/Guard this time around, and at least (2) total FAs.
It will either be Thuney, Moton, Trent Williams, Scherff, Okung, Daryl Williams, Beachum, Alex Mack...etc...
Guess What? Most teams will be up against the Cap this year; so, the Bengals will be able to bring in at least 1 and maybe 2 FA's from the Top 100 this year.

Draft: Of course, best case scenerio is getting Sewell or Slater. But, even if they do take a WR with their 1st pick, they'll still be able to land a prospect like Mayfield, Cosmi, Leatherwood, Eichenberg, Tucker, Jenkins, Wyatt Davis, Trey Smith, or Deonte Brown in the 2nd or 3rd Rounds.

Mark my word folks, they will do combinations of these this year and they know they have to do it or it's all over. If Burrow gets hurt again next year BECAUSE of their OL, it will be unforgivable for their Franchise and for Burrow.

P.S. I also expect them to resign at least Spain, and will most likely end up cutting Hart and others.

New Dey!!
Reply/Quote
(01-26-2021, 11:48 PM)JerseyDD09 Wrote: I've already seen so many posts from fans on here that the Bengals will be the same 'Ole Bengals and not do anything to protect Burrow through FA and/or the Draft...

I'd be interested to know where you saw that. 

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
I agree with you but time will tell. Step 1 was the coach, Step 2 will be a FA signing or 2.
As much as I like Sewell I also agree there are plenty of OL help later in the draft.
I actually hope they draft 2 tackles later on in the draft, 1 can play Guard.
I would want my guards to be able to play tackle if needed.
Reply/Quote
Came on here excited to hear we got someone. Imagine my disappointment. :)

I think this draft is deep enough at o-line that I don't panic if FA doesn't give us all the answers.
Reply/Quote
(01-27-2021, 01:18 AM)rfaulk34 Wrote: I'd be interested to know where you saw that. 

Read all the comments from everyone on the Paul Dehner Thread where he talks about OL help. It's depressing listening to all the posts from everyone saying they won't do this or won't do that as usual. The Bengals would be absolutely crazy not to protect their #1 asset after what happened this year. 
So, I hope the Bengals prove all the negative folks on here wrong after FA and the Draft. We'll just have to see I guess....
Reply/Quote
(01-27-2021, 02:14 AM)JerseyDD09 Wrote: Read all the comments from everyone on the Paul Dehner Thread where he talks about OL help. It's depressing listening to all the posts from everyone saying they won't do this or won't do that as usual. The Bengals would be absolutely crazy not to protect their #1 asset after what happened this year. 
So, I hope the Bengals prove all the negative folks on here wrong after FA and the Draft. We'll just have to see I guess....

I think people just don't want to get their hopes up and then it ends "business as usual".
Reply/Quote
If they protect Burrow next year and improve the DL, I believe an above. 500 record is very possible. I was going to say playoffs but wasn't there a 10-6 team that missed the playoffs this year?
For God gave us a spirit not of fear but of power and love and self-control.
2 Timothy 1:7

Reply/Quote
(01-27-2021, 01:18 AM)rfaulk34 Wrote: I'd be interested to know where you saw that. 

Hobson
Reply/Quote
If the Bengals re-sign Spain, get a good FA OT/OG, and then draft one within the first 3 rounds, I'll be satisfied.
Knowing the Bengals have typically preferred paying OTs more than OGs in the past, I could see them going after OT in FA vs OG and then drafting OG. They could feel that if they re-sign Spain, they'd have two starting-caliber OGs in Spain and XSF so as to not force the rookie to start.

I think the team can then use Day 3 of the draft to get more offensive weapons.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(01-26-2021, 11:48 PM)JerseyDD09 Wrote: I've already seen so many posts from fans on here that the Bengals will be the same 'Ole Bengals and not do anything to protect Burrow through FA and/or the Draft....blah blah blah. You guys are just plain crazy if you think they won't upgrade everywhere on their OL with his injury. (Burrow's career could be over with another catastrophic injury allowed by the line).
They already started by bringing in a better OL coach. That was Step 1.
Step 2 is FA. I'm sure the Bengal brass saw that Brady was the most untouched QB in the League this year. I'm sure they saw how Cleveland's line became the best OL in the league as well for Mayfield. I'm sure they also saw how the OL demise in Pitt led to their downfall at the end in getting dominated by DL in Cleveland.
How did both TB and CLEVE make it work? FA and the Draft!
The Bengals brass is smart enough to realize that if they don't do something drastic to protect Burrow after this injury, they've lost their only hope for Playoffs/Super Bowl for years to come. They will not let that happen.

FREE AGENCY: You can certainly expect at least 1 High priced FA Tackle/Guard this time around, and at least (2) total FAs.
It will either be Thuney, Moton, Trent Williams, Scherff, Okung, Daryl Williams, Beachum, Alex Mack...etc...
Guess What? Most teams will be up against the Cap this year; so, the Bengals will be able to bring in at least 1 and maybe 2 FA's from the Top 100 this year.

Draft: Of course, best case scenerio is getting Sewell or Slater. But, even if they do take a WR with their 1st pick, they'll still be able to land a prospect like Mayfield, Cosmi, Leatherwood, Eichenberg, Tucker, Jenkins, Wyatt Davis, Trey Smith, or Deonte Brown in the 2nd or 3rd Rounds.

Mark my word folks, they will do combinations of these this year and they know they have to do it or it's all over. If Burrow gets hurt again next year BECAUSE of their OL, it will be unforgivable for their Franchise and for Burrow.

P.S. I also expect them to resign at least Spain, and will most likely end up cutting Hart and others.

New Dey!!

Smart enough? LOL

The Bengals brass has gone an entire generation without a playoff win. Fans have to be in their mid 30s or older to even faintly remember a playoff win from their childhood.
Reply/Quote
(01-27-2021, 01:23 AM)SuperBowlBound! Wrote: I agree with you but time will tell. Step 1 was the coach, Step 2 will be a FA signing or 2.
As much as I like Sewell I also agree there are plenty of OL help later in the draft.
I actually hope they draft 2 tackles later on in the draft, 1 can play Guard.
I would want my guards to be able to play tackle if needed.

just read they are sticking to that old boring logo.....maybe a harbinger to sticking to guys like Hart, Jordan and others 
BUT I HOPE YOU ARE RIGHT!  it makes sense to me but lets not forget they have some glaring need elsewhere too
Edge rushers, a speedy WR and a GOOD TE. 
Reply/Quote
(01-27-2021, 12:21 PM)ochocincos Wrote: If the Bengals re-sign Spain, get a good FA OT/OG, and then draft one within the first 3 rounds, I'll be satisfied.
Knowing the Bengals have typically preferred paying OTs more than OGs in the past, I could see them going after OT in FA vs OG and then drafting OG. They could feel that if they re-sign Spain, they'd have two starting-caliber OGs in Spain and XSF so as to not force the rookie to start.

RT in FA and G in the draft isn't the worst strategy by a long shot.

If we go the other way around we'd likely be restricting our choices in the draft as we'd have to get the T in rounds 1 or 2 if we want a week 1 starter.
If we need a G we should be able to pick one up in the 2nd or 3rd who can start but re-signing Spain would provide an insurance policy. If a T is there in round 1 or 2 we could still take them and potentially slide them/Jonah inside. It would seem to be the cheapest way to provide draft flexibility.

FA RT such as Moton or D Williams
re-sign Spain
Round 1 Chase (or trade down and take Pitts)
Round 2 D playmaker
Round 3 Guard

It would also free up money to attack some of the second or third tier FAs/cap casualties who unexpectedly don't find quite the market they wanted - the Mackenzie Alexanders of 2021 free agency. Maybe one splash signing in free agency for a top tier O-lineman and then a handful of mid-tier guys on one year prove it deals - CB, Edge, WR, G. It wouldn't preclude us from drafting their long term successors as they'd mainly be on one year deals and we could maybe even sign multiple players at those positions and let them battle it out. Dre Kirkpatrick played on a one year $1.05m deal last year, Dennard a $1.01m deal. Former first round picks who have started for a number of years in the NFL but are out of favor. I'm not saying them specifically but other teams' versions of them: throw several of them at a problem position and see who sticks. Other teams will have their equivalents of Carlos Dunlap, Shawn Williams etc whose contracts have become too expensive or for whom scheme changes mean it is time to move on. Stock up on the experienced starters or rebound candidates at bargain prices (Mike Daniels was a a great depth signing last year) and use it to improve the depth. I'd rather sign half a dozen of these than one mid-tier FA on a bloated deal.
Reply/Quote
(01-27-2021, 12:21 PM)ochocincos Wrote: If the Bengals re-sign Spain, get a good FA OT/OG, and then draft one within the first 3 rounds, I'll be satisfied.

I agree with Ocho here, if we go this route I will be happy.
Reply/Quote
(01-26-2021, 11:48 PM)JerseyDD09 Wrote: FREE AGENCY: You can certainly expect at least 1 High priced FA Tackle/Guard this time around, and at least (2) total FAs.

I'll believe it when I see it.

To the fans the OL has been bad since Whit and Zeitler left, then Boling and Glenn bailed when they saw Turner and Taylor coming.

To the front office and Taylor the OL is not as bad as the fans say and they've stated this several times over the past two years.

Reply/Quote
I would expect that they at least draft Sewell if he's there.  Having said that, I am not convinced that they go out and find a stud T, G or both. MB has never spent much on FA OL.  I can't even remember who we ever went out and got in FA that was any damn good?  Bobbie Williams maybe?

The fact remains that they shook the dice last year bringing back a terrible 2019 OL.  They knew Joe Burrow was special, but they just couldn't help themselves and went out and did it anyway.  A coaching change and a draft pick is probably the most we can hope for.  If they don't dramatically fix the   OL (besides Jonah), how the hell is Burrow not going to be hurt once again?

The FO has to do their part in improving the OL and not just put it all on coaching and the draft.  This team goes where Burrow goes.  Plain and simple.
"Our offensive line is going to surprise a lot of people" - Mike Brown (7-26-21)
Reply/Quote
(01-27-2021, 02:14 AM)JerseyDD09 Wrote: Read all the comments from everyone on the Paul Dehner Thread where he talks about OL help. It's depressing listening to all the posts from everyone saying they won't do this or won't do that as usual. The Bengals would be absolutely crazy not to protect their #1 asset after what happened this year. 
Why did the Bengals not their franchise QB last year? All the money spent on FA last year should've been spent on Oline starters and backups. Defense should've been fixed this year.

We wouldn't have our uber talented QB working on rehab. He could be working on arm strenth, footwork and timing...

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
The only thing I hate worse than Pittsburgh football...

...is Pittsburgh fans!!

SLIM--gone, but never forgotten...

Original Bengals message boards
Rep Points: 4726

Reply/Quote
Both Lapham and Dehner have said inside info says the franchise will be targeting Offensive Line in free agency specifically Offensive Tackle (Both mentioned Taylor Moton). They will have the cash for a major outside signing especially if they release Geno and Hart.

Right now all we can do is hold our breath and wait to see what happens. We do know as a franchise they aren't afraid to pay their tackles.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(01-27-2021, 05:04 PM)Synric Wrote: Both Lapham and Dehner have said inside info says the franchise will be targeting Offensive Line in free agency specifically Offensive Tackle (Both mentioned Taylor Moton). They will have the cash for a major outside signing especially if they release Geno and Hart.

Right now all we can do is hold our breath and wait to see what happens. We do know as a franchise they aren't afraid to pay their tackles.

Sure hope they are correct on Moton, that would be a great move.
Reply/Quote
Last year had a weak FA class on OL. So they spent 150 million on defense last year and unfortunately a lot of that got injured. Also last seasons OL draft class was nothing special, although I would still have invested more picks than they did. The major problem was retaining Turner and his obviously defective technique and scheme.
Reply/Quote
(01-27-2021, 04:35 PM)BengalChris Wrote: I'll believe it when I see it.

To the fans the OL has been bad since Whit and Zeitler left, then Boling and Glenn bailed when they saw Turner and Taylor coming.

To the front office and Taylor the OL is not as bad as the fans say and they've stated this several times over the past two years.

Yeah, I'm sure Boling was so stressed from Turner, his body magically developed a blot clot issue, which became life-threatening <_<

And a completely selfish malcontent, who still hasn't been signed by anyone, also quit because he ran into a douchebag like himself, right?

Come on; Turner is an absolute POS it seems, but he probably had little to do with the above guys (definitely had 0 to do with Boling).

(01-27-2021, 04:56 PM)2MinutesHate Wrote: I would expect that they at least draft Sewell if he's there.  Having said that, I am not convinced that they go out and find a stud T, G or both. MB has never spent much on FA OL. [/b]I can't even remember who we ever went out and got in FA that was any damn good??[/b] Bobbie Williams maybe?[/b]

Really?

- Darrick Brilz
- Braham
- O'Dwyer
- Richmond Webb (albeit at the end of his career, still really good though)
- John Jackson (albeit at the end of his career)
- Bobbie
- Mathis
- Cook
- Winston
- Pollak

Surely there are more, but these are just off the top of my head.

We started drafting guys and building the lines from '99 on, so FA OL has tapered off over the past 10-20 years; when you had decent lines every year in that time period, there really isn't a need to get a FA OL (especially if you're drafting guys who are playing at a high level, which we had).

The only FA misses on OL from 2005-2016, really, were Mike McGlynn, Marshall Newhouse and Jeff Faine. That's it.

Miller, X-Man and Spain have been decent, but nothing better than average/replacement-level; this year, we need FA OL more than ever and I think the team knows it as well, hence all the Moton talk (would prefer him over Williams all day, IMO).

We'll see how things shake out, but the fact is that until the last 3-4 years, we've had really good Olineman on the whole (as randoms like Bodine, Ghiaciuc, Andrews were the worst guys on decent lines), since the mid-late 90s.
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote