Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3.5 Average
OTAs
(05-28-2024, 03:00 PM)RunKijanaRun Wrote: Why is Rankins not there?

Probably by design so the young IDL can take more snaps.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(05-28-2024, 02:33 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: In that world, TBrown would have to be injured in preseason. Brown is an established NFL commodity. Mims has measurable and potential but even if he comes out in preseason and blows everyone off the LoS, you go with the established vet to start. If Brown gets injured or simply falls off a cliff, i can see Mims getting in early but not other than that. 

I love the Mims pick more than anyone, but I agree Rfaulk. Trent Brown when healthy might be the best pass protecting swing Tackle in 
the NFL. He will start at RT come the regular season unless he is hurt no matter how great Mims looks. 

BTW, agree with Holic that it is no big deal with Ja'Marr and the others not being there at voluntaries. All this does is give our young players
more work which is a great thing. The proven players can do what they want at this point. I would like them to be there to give pointers but
we don't know the specifics.
Reply/Quote
(05-28-2024, 02:33 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: In that world, TBrown would have to be injured in preseason. Brown is an established NFL commodity. Mims has measurable and potential but even if he comes out in preseason and blows everyone off the LoS, you go with the established vet to start. If Brown gets injured or simply falls off a cliff, i can see Mims getting in early but not other than that. 

It wouldn't be the first time a first round rookie beat out an "established" vet in camp. 

We aren't talking about him coming in and taking Andrew Whitworths job here, we are talking about Trent Brown. 

If Mims out plays and out works Brown in camp, then by all means...give him the job.
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
(05-28-2024, 03:06 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: I love the Mims pick more than anyone, but I agree Rfaulk. Trent Brown when healthy might be the best pass protecting swing Tackle in 
the NFL. He will start at RT come the regular season unless he is hurt no matter how great Mims looks. 

BTW, agree with Holic that it is no big deal with Ja'Marr and the others not being there at voluntaries. All this does is give our young players
more work which is a great thing. The proven players can do what they want at this point. I would like them to be there to give pointers but
we don't know the specifics.

You guys are acting like Trent Brown is an untouchable player. There's a reason he signed so late in free agency on a 1 year 4 million dollar contract. 

He's an OK player and I'm fine with him starting, but in no way am I just defaulting to him regardless of how Mims looks. 
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
(05-28-2024, 03:16 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: We aren't talking about him coming in and taking Andrew Whitworths job here, we are talking about Trent Brown. 

Whose pay screams backup at best.... borderline camp body. 

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(05-28-2024, 03:20 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: You guys are acting like Trent Brown is an untouchable player. There's a reason he signed so late in free agency on a 1 year 4 million dollar contract. 

He's an OK player and I'm fine with him starting, but in no way am I just defaulting to him regardless of how Mims looks. 

Injuries are the only reason Trent Brown was so cheap. As far as the player goes dude is about as good as it gets as a pass protector.

Run blocking? Sure, Mims might already be a better run blocker than Trent Brown. I understand what you mean, but I think we are in a 
great spot regardless and Mims will be starting at RT sooner or later because Trent Brown has such trouble staying healthy.

My bet is Trent Brown is the starting RT come the opener against the Pats.
Reply/Quote
(05-28-2024, 03:23 PM)jj22 Wrote: Whose pay screams backup at best.... borderline camp body. 

BS
Reply/Quote
(05-28-2024, 03:24 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: BS

4m non guaranteed? That isn't starting RT money by no means. And if a portion of that was workout and offseason participation money...... Which is typically wrapped up in the announced contract amount.....

We may be talking vet minimum being all that's left.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
T Brown is on a Prove it deal
Reply/Quote
(05-28-2024, 02:58 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Because he's not there?

You think Ja'Marr is 'sitting out' because of a 'contract stance'. 

Except that Ja'Marr has said his process won't start until Jefferson is done because he doesn't want to go first. So, what exactly is the contract stance that Ja'Marr is sitting out for? Is he trying to pressure the Vikings?   Rolleyes

Like I said, I just think people are jumping to conclusions with this one.
Reply/Quote
(05-28-2024, 03:55 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: You think Ja'Marr is 'sitting out' because of a 'contract stance'. 

Except that Ja'Marr has said his process won't start until Jefferson is done because he doesn't want to go first. So, what exactly is the contract stance that Ja'Marr is sitting out for? Is he trying to pressure the Vikings?   Rolleyes

Like I said, I just think people are jumping to conclusions with this one.

According to you...

Without jumping to conclusions things we know:

JaMarr is in the final year of his rookie contract 

JaMarr wants a new contract

JaMarr is skipping (not sitting out, just not showing up) OTAs even though he's been in town

IMO I'd say his "not showing up" is related to contracts

Others have said it's possibly "by design" to give the other WRs more reps, but I'm "jumping to conclusions". 

Here's Adam Scheftner doing the same:
https://x.com/AdamSchefter/status/1795478827453272186

Reply/Quote
(05-28-2024, 04:42 PM)bfine32 Wrote: According to you...

Without jumping to conclusions things we know:

JaMarr is in the final year of his rookie contract 

JaMarr wants a new contract

JaMarr is skipping (not sitting out, just not showing up) OTAs even though he's been in town

IMO I'd say his "not showing up" is related to contracts

Others have said it's possibly "by design" to give the other WRs more reps, but I'm "jumping to conclusions". 

Here's Adam Scheftner doing the same:
https://x.com/AdamSchefter/status/1795478827453272186

This isn't even the first time he's chosen not to participate in voluntary offseason activities. Last year, he skipped the cardio / lifting portion of the offseason program because he wanted to 'get some real work in besides conditioning and some of the other personal stuff I wanted to work on most.'

You didn't really explain the 'contract issues' either. If Ja'Marr is waiting on Jefferson as he's said...then what are the issues exactly as it pertains to the Bengals and Ja'Marr? Seems kind of hard to negotiate when you're waiting on another player's contract to get done first, wouldn't you say? So, what would Ja'Marr be sitting out over?
Reply/Quote
(05-28-2024, 04:49 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: This isn't even the first time he's chosen not to participate in voluntary offseason activities. Last year, he skipped the cardio / lifting portion of the offseason program because he wanted to 'get some real work in besides conditioning and some of the other personal stuff I wanted to work on most.'

You didn't really explain the 'contract issues' either. If Ja'Marr is waiting on Jefferson as he's said...then what are the issues exactly as it pertains to the Bengals and Ja'Marr? Seems kind of hard to negotiate when you're waiting on another player's contract to get done first, wouldn't you say? So, what would Ja'Marr be upset about in your theory?

Go to the 2 minute mark and tell me what you think when he says:

"When they do call me and I go back" when talking about his contract.

Matter of fact, don't. I don't want you jumping to conclusions.

Reply/Quote
DO NOT tune into NFL Live right now; they're jumping to conclusions

Reply/Quote
(05-28-2024, 03:26 PM)jj22 Wrote: 4m non guaranteed? That isn't starting RT money by no means. And if a portion of that was workout and offseason participation money...... Which is typically wrapped up in the announced contract amount.....

We may be talking vet minimum being all that's left.

As Xeno said it is a prove it deal. You calling Trent Brown a backup and a borderline camp body is ridiculous. He is one of the best pass 
protecting starting swing Tackles in the NFL when healthy. He just hasn't proved he can stay healthy which is why he is on a prove it deal.
Reply/Quote
(05-28-2024, 04:57 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Go to the 2 minute mark and tell me what you think when he says:

"When they do call me and I go back" when talking about his contract.

Matter of fact, don't. I don't want you jumping to conclusions.

Doesn't mean much of anything unless you discount his own statements, such as:

When asked if Jefferson getting his extension done is a prerequisite for his signing, he answered, "Hell, yeah" 

“I’m not talking nothing about no contract yet, man,” Chase said. “I need to see some numbers from him.”

"I gotta wait for other receivers like CeeDee Lamb and Justin Jefferson to get paid."

'Chase said he is waiting on Minnesota Vikings receiver Justin Jefferson to sign a contract extension before he signs one of his own.' -

"Lord knows I want to do that," Chase said. "I mean, but we'll see what happens."
Reply/Quote
(05-28-2024, 05:10 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: Doesn't mean much of anything unless you discount his own statements, such as:

When asked if Jefferson getting his extension done is a prerequisite for his signing, he answered, "Hell, yeah" 

“I’m not talking nothing about no contract yet, man,” Chase said. “I need to see some numbers from him.”

"I gotta wait for other receivers like CeeDee Lamb and Justin Jefferson to get paid."

That's hilarious, you just discounted his own statement from last week by saying "It doesn't mean much of anything". Because of something he laughed about in Jan

This is silly....You roll with "we don't know" or "he's not sitting out  he's just not there because Jefferson hasn't signed a contract" 

As I said DO NOT watch the current episode of NFL Live. They start out with "What's the biggest story at Bengal's OTAs". You're not going to believe what they listed one as. 

Reply/Quote
(05-28-2024, 05:05 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: As Xeno said it is a prove it deal. You calling Trent Brown a backup and a borderline camp body is ridiculous. He is one of the best pass 
protecting starting swing Tackles in the NFL when healthy. He just hasn't proved he can stay healthy which is why he is on a prove it deal.

Trent brown was the 11th highest rated tackle in 2023, when he played. You are spot on, outside of injury, Trent brown is locked in as our RT. 10 guys in the NFL played T better than Trent brown last year. IF mims had a full collegiate career worth of plays/experience, maybe…. But he would be on a HOF trajectory if he came in a a top 10 OL his rookie year. I hope he develops into that, but I don’t expect anything close to that in year 1. No one should.

T-11. TRENT BROWN: NEW ENGLAND PATRIOTS: 80.2

Now set to hit free agency this offseason, the hulking tackle struggled to put together a full season once again in 2023. He played just 11 games — including two with fewer than 35 total snaps — but when healthy, he was at the top of his game.

The Patriots tackle posted career highs in offensive grade (80.2) and run-blocking grade (80.7) and gave up just 17 total pressures on 346 pass-blocking snaps, showing there is definitely something left in the tank.
Reply/Quote
(05-28-2024, 05:20 PM)bfine32 Wrote: That's hilarious, you just discounted his own statement by saying "It doesn't mean much of anything".

This is silly....You roll with "we don't know" or "he know sitting out  he's just not there because Jefferson hasn't signed a contract" 

As I said DO NOT watch the current episode of NFL Live. They start out with "What's the biggest story at Bengal's OTAs". You're not going to believe what they listed one as. 

I don't think that video makes the point you were hoping it did. Doesn't sound like a player taking a 'contract stance.'
Reply/Quote
(05-28-2024, 05:34 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: I don't think that video makes the point you were hoping it did. Doesn't sound like a player taking a 'contract stance.'

You can only lead a horse to water; if it refuses to drink; it just stays thirsty. 

Reply/Quote