Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3.5 Average
OTAs
(05-28-2024, 04:57 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Go to the 2 minute mark and tell me what you think when he says:

"When they do call me and I go back" when talking about his contract.

Matter of fact, don't. I don't want you jumping to conclusions.

Sounds like normal "It's about to be my turn" talk to me.

Are you making the assumption, that when he makes the above statement, that he isn't at OTA's because of contract stuff?  He has to know it isn't his turn yet.  Cede and Justin haven't been paid.  I think it is quite possible if not most likely that the two parts of the sentence are run on and unrelated.  "When they do call me.." uncertain...."and I go back........" very certain.  One is not contingent upon the other.  Or at least that is a viable interpretation.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Reply/Quote
(05-28-2024, 06:40 PM)Stewy Wrote: Sounds like normal "It's about to be my turn" talk to me.

Are you making the assumption, that when he makes the above statement, that he isn't at OTA's because of contract stuff?  He has to know it isn't his turn yet.  Cede and Justin haven't been paid.  I think it is quite possible if not most likely that the two parts of the sentence are run on and unrelated.  "When they do call me.." uncertain...."and I go back........" very certain.  One is not contingent upon the other.  Or at least that is a viable interpretation.

Do you have any idea why he's not there? 

I think it's because he's still playing on his rookie deal when he's eligible for a long-term extension. All the National talking heads assert he's not there because he's still playing on a rookie deal when he's eligible for a long-term extension (NFL Live led with it today). Jamarr himself stated last week: "when they call him, he'll go back".

Who knew I'd be flying solo on this in Jungle Noise; where no one else has any idea why JC is not in TC; except for Sunset who stated it could be planned by the team. 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(05-28-2024, 05:05 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: As Xeno said it is a prove it deal. You calling Trent Brown a backup and a borderline camp body is ridiculous. He is one of the best pass 
protecting starting swing Tackles in the NFL when healthy. He just hasn't proved he can stay healthy which is why he is on a prove it deal.

I said his contract screamed backup and camp body at worst. His contract. Not the player.....

You guys are putting way too much into a 4m non guaranteed contract. That isn't guaranteed starting RT money like some are acting.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(05-28-2024, 07:25 PM)jj22 Wrote: I said his contract screamed backup and camp body at worst. His contract. Not the player.....

You guys are putting way too much into a 4m non guaranteed contract. That isn't guaranteed starting RT money like some are acting.

It would be nice to know why TB is a no-show. Seems he was here at the beginning, but I could be mistaken.

I agree TB's contract doesn't lock him in as a starter. Who knows maybe Mims wins the RT gig and we have one of the best swing tackles in the NFL. 

Reply/Quote
(05-28-2024, 06:55 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Do you have any idea why he's not there? 

I think it's because he's still playing on his rookie deal when he's eligible for a long-term extension. All the National talking heads assert he's not there because he's still playing on a rookie deal when he's eligible for a long-term extension (NFL Live led with it today). Jamarr himself stated last week: "when they call him, he'll go back".

Who knew I'd be flying solo on this in Jungle Noise; where no one else has any idea why JC is not in TC; except for Sunset who stated it could be planned by the team. 

I'm actually not saying you're wrong ,but you seem hell bent on their only being one answer.  The only part of this you're flying solo on is your 100% certainty.
Reply/Quote
So far I'm not so worried about Chase but Nico getting up to 75M & 52M guaranteed over 3 just adds to the ire for Tee. We fans my take a stern attitude but he can drag his feet and miss valuable time. Chase has been a team player but you know his agent has to see this weakness and wonder if Cincy could take the PR of a 3rd star (2nd at the same position) having issues, no matter if he's seemingly waiting on JJ. At some point, if Chase's camp is willing to talk before JJ sets the market you have to be willing to make it work. I get the "don't worry" attitude, but it would really go a long way for morale to have Chase signed.
Reply/Quote
(05-28-2024, 08:04 PM)Stewy Wrote: I'm actually not saying you're wrong ,but you seem hell bent on their only being one answer.  The only part of this you're flying solo on is your 100% certainty.

I'm just asking for another answer. It was "jumping to conclusions", "making too much of it" to assert he's a "no show" because of his contract situation.

Seems if it were something else; we'd hear Zac say "I know he'll stay in shape and be ready to go when he gets here". 

But yeah, I have no problem being the only one saying he's a "no show" because of contract situation; or "hell bent" as you put it. 

Reply/Quote
(05-28-2024, 08:41 PM)phil413 Wrote: So far I'm not so worried about Chase but Nico getting up to 75M & 52M guaranteed over 3 just adds to the ire for Tee.  We fans my take a stern attitude but he can drag his feet and miss valuable time.  Chase has been a team player but you know his agent has to see this weakness and wonder if Cincy could take the PR of a 3rd star (2nd at the same position) having issues, no matter if he's seemingly waiting on JJ.  At some point, if Chase's camp is willing to talk before JJ sets the market you have to be willing to make it work.  I get the "don't worry" attitude, but it would really go a long way for morale to have Chase signed.

Let's not "jump to conclusions". It could be the team asked him not to show up so the young WRs could get more snaps or it could be nothing to do with the contract; he's just a "no show" because Justin Jefferson hasn't gotten a new contract, or it could be he really wants to be there but........

Reply/Quote

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
(05-28-2024, 09:49 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Let's not "jump to conclusions". It could be the team asked him not to show up so the young WRs could get more snaps or it could be nothing to do with the contract; he's just a "no show" because Justin Jefferson hasn't gotten a new contract, or it could be he really wants to be there but........

Dude,, you need a xannie!  Mellow
Reply/Quote
(05-28-2024, 09:53 PM)pally Wrote:  

Pulling for Ossai big time. Would love to see him finally live up to his potential. That would be a huge boost for this defense with him and Murphy coming on.
Reply/Quote
[Image: sdw0s3o91ul6mxs1nrvr.jpg]Seems they want Mims to block them 2 at a time:

Reply/Quote
(05-29-2024, 12:11 AM)bfine32 Wrote: [Image: sdw0s3o91ul6mxs1nrvr.jpg]Seems they want Mims to block them 2 at a time:

[Image: giphy.gif]

Popcorn
Reply/Quote
(05-28-2024, 09:49 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Let's not "jump to conclusions". It could be the team asked him not to show up so the young WRs could get more snaps or it could be nothing to do with the contract; he's just a "no show" because Justin Jefferson hasn't gotten a new contract, or it could be he really wants to be there but........

I thought I read he was off doing a kids camp somewhere
Reply/Quote
(05-29-2024, 10:17 AM)Sled21 Wrote: I thought I read he was off doing a kids camp somewhere

It was here in Cincinnati last week.

Reply/Quote
(05-29-2024, 10:17 AM)Sled21 Wrote: I thought I read he was off doing a kids camp somewhere

Yeah, he did a 1-day at Princeton High School. It's where he did the interview I linked earlier. 

Reply/Quote
(05-28-2024, 09:45 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I'm just asking for another answer. It was "jumping to conclusions", "making too much of it" to assert he's a "no show" because of his contract situation.

Seems if it were something else; we'd hear Zac say "I know he'll stay in shape and be ready to go when he gets here". 

But yeah, I have no problem being the only one saying he's a "no show" because of contract situation; or "hell bent" as you put it. 

I mean, is Chase a no-show due to his contract?  Most likely, though at this point it's probably a "I'm not risking a 9 figure contract at voluntarily OTA's" sort of situation.  He's already hooked up with Joe this off-season and he knows that he's a Bengal for the next 2, almost guaranteed to be 3, years, so it's likely little more than that.  Everyone would like him to be there, but guys miss voluntaries all the time.  Look at Trey last year.  If he starts missing mandatories, it's an issue, but the guy is an elite player.  He'll be fine.

I'm more concerned with Brown, as he's been fairly inconsistent during his career and is on a one year prove-it deal.  He needs to get his chemistry down with the rest of the line.
Reply/Quote
(05-28-2024, 03:16 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: It wouldn't be the first time a first round rookie beat out an "established" vet in camp. 

We aren't talking about him coming in and taking Andrew Whitworths job here, we are talking about Trent Brown. 

If Mims out plays and out works Brown in camp, then by all means...give him the job.

It certainly wouldn't be the first time but we're talking about outliers with this. 

The focus for the FO is to protect their franchise QB who has missed significant parts of 2/4 years here, which is obv why they brought Brown in. You can look at it a million different way, re; contract, injuries, etc. When healthy, he's an above average tackle and that's what they're banking on. Mims could come in and blow people away, he certainly has the measurables but that's not nearly as likely as Brown staying healthy and playing well. We've seen it before, guys like Russell Wilson blow up in preseason and supplant the FA QB that was just signed to big bucks but that happens so infrequently that you can't really bank on it. As much potential as Mims has, when is the last time something like that happened to the Bengals? It's just so infrequent around the entire NFL that it's not really even something that's near the forefront of my thinking.

To me, the best case scenario is for Brown to start and play well and for the Bengals to be able to get Mims a decent amount of snaps throughout the season so that he's more ready should an injury happen later, and then he'll be set to step into the starter role next year. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(05-28-2024, 07:25 PM)jj22 Wrote: I said his contract screamed backup and camp body at worst. His contract. Not the player.....

It's not really debatable that he's been an above average T in his career with multiple teams. His issue is availability. That's where the contract numbers come from. 

I would def like to see Mims play well in the preseason to alleviate and fears that might be there with Brown not being able to play more than 500 snaps this year but his contract says nothing about his ability to protect the QB.

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote