Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Oakland: Concerned?
(09-06-2015, 02:07 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Don't know why so many people are so high on the Raiders.

Last year they only won 3 games.

Their defense ranked dead last in points allowed.  

Their offense was actually able to score more points than one other team, but they were still dead last in yards gained.

They may have one or two good players, but overall they are a disaster of a team.  A total dumpsterfire.

I'm assuming off-season improvements don't matter? In theory then, why should anyone be scared of us attempting to go into the playoffs? Once we get there, we're a total dumpster fire. 
[Image: Bch_OOih_CIAARIjw_jpg_large.jpg]
Reply/Quote
Depends on a couple key players. Can Dre Kirk actually play as good as he says he can? Is Geno really back? Whose our middle linebacker? Is our d line gonna be back like it was when we had Michael Johnson?

I have faith Dalton, Hill and the offense will be good enough. So most of my concerns are defensive.
Reply/Quote
(09-07-2015, 12:14 AM)Bengals23 Wrote: I'm assuming off-season improvements don't matter?

They might.  Please tell me who they added that will make such a huge difference.

They have a new head coach who has had 3 winning seasons in his 9 year career.

They have a second year QB who now has to start over with a new OC and scheme.

And they only signed a couple of decent free agents in NT Dan Williams and OC Rodney Hudson.
Reply/Quote
(09-07-2015, 02:03 AM)fredtoast Wrote: They might.  Please tell me who they added that will make such a huge difference.

And they only signed a couple of decent free agents in NT Dan Williams and OC Rodney Hudson.

They now have offensive weapons that have the potential to produce. Derek Carr is entering his 2nd year, and even with a new OC, will be a bit more polished than he was as a rookie. If you don't know, their OC is Bill Musgrave, who handled Philadelphia's up-tempo offense the past few seasons. That plays exactly into Carr's skill set as that is the type of offense he flourished in here at Fresno State.

Carr has two new starting WR's (Cooper/Crabtree) that are going to be miles ahead of what they had last year in James Jones and Andre Holmes. Latavius Murray is now the unquestioned starter and they have a nice 3rd down back in Helu Jr. If they can get Marcel Reece involved, their offense can be productive. 

Defense is a question mark, but we have to see if Del Rio can do something with that. I expect Khalil Mack to be dominant and make that defense better as a whole.
[Image: Bch_OOih_CIAARIjw_jpg_large.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(09-07-2015, 02:03 AM)fredtoast Wrote: They might.  Please tell me who they added that will make such a huge difference.

Hmm, under-performing HC, newish 2nd round QB, ho-hum FA signings, losing culture, dynamic #1 WR....ye gods, the Raiders are the Bengals circa 2012!
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(09-07-2015, 02:40 AM)Bengals23 Wrote: They now have offensive weapons that have the potential to produce. Derek Carr is entering his 2nd year, and even with a new OC, will be a bit more polished than he was as a rookie. If you don't know, their OC is Bill Musgrave, who handled Philadelphia's up-tempo offense the past few seasons. That plays exactly into Carr's skill set as that is the type of offense he flourished in here at Fresno State.

Carr has two new starting WR's (Cooper/Crabtree) that are going to be miles ahead of what they had last year in James Jones and Andre Holmes. Latavius Murray is now the unquestioned starter and they have a nice 3rd down back in Helu Jr. If they can get Marcel Reece involved, their offense can be productive. 

Defense is a question mark, but we have to see if Del Rio can do something with that. I expect Khalil Mack to be dominant and make that defense better as a whole.
Cooper is the only one who would be miles ahead (1st round talent, lets see his ability in the regular season. Dont doubt hes good, just need to see in the reg. season too). Crabtree only excels in the 5-7 yard range which could be good for Carr since he only averaged 5.5 yards a throw last season. But Crabtree is no where near his 2012 self and isn't the #1 on this team anymore (never really played up to his 1st rounder expectations except in 2012). His other seasons show he's just like Jones, and Holmes is eventually becoming that player. Or it looks like it, lets see how his hand injury affects him.

Maybe the new OC will spark something, but other than Cooper their offense is similar. Murray could be a productive back like he was with his 82 attempts last season, but its hard to say he'll put up better #s than McFadden certainly. But again it all comes down the OC and the gameplan. 
Reply/Quote
Found this article about Del Rio vs Lewis back in 2011. It is an article about the NFL's "head coach survivors".

Del Rio's team got worse, and he was released, The Bengals drafted Dalton and Green, and began a run of success... It's interesting to look back at the piece because of when it was written, you will have to look for yourself.

http://jacksonville.com/sports/football/jaguars/2011-10-06/story/jack-del-rio-marvin-lewis-are-nfls-ultimate-head-coaching

Something I found humorous was the last line

"Del Rio and Lewis will both need to win more to keep their jobs. But while Del Rio is under a mandate from Weaver to make the playoffs, Brown only said he expects to have a "better year" than season's 4-12, though he didn't specify how much better. Brown said that if the Bengals are better, Lewis' contract, "might get longer real fast."

Now they meet up again, and it makes me happy that the Jaguars have been in stagnant disarray while we have gotten to the playoffs the last for yours... It gives you a smidgeon of confidence in the organization.. or it does for me anyways.

Now Del Rio is in Oakland, trying again, and I can't help but feel a bit more confident about the game knowing that while Del Rio and Lewis are almost clones of eachother, Lewis has the slight edge on him.
Reply/Quote

Remember the year we got AJ and Dalton? People had us being the worst team in the league, if you dont believe me, search it up yourself. Theres a thing called offseason and teams tend to get better
Reply/Quote
(09-08-2015, 12:46 AM)Element Wrote: Remember the year we got AJ and Dalton? People had us being the worst team in the league, if you dont believe me, search it up yourself. Theres a thing called offseason and teams tend to get better

I remember that very well.  I also remember that that 2011 Bengals team went 1-6 against winning teams with our only victory coming against a weak 9-7 Titans team.

Last year the Raiders were not just bad, they were extremely bad.  They were 32nd in points allowed and 31st in points scored.  Even if they make huge strides like the '11 Bengals did they will still get beaten up by teams like us this year.
Reply/Quote
(09-08-2015, 12:46 AM)Element Wrote: Remember the year we got AJ and Dalton? People had us being the worst team in the league, if you dont believe me, search it up yourself. Theres a thing called offseason and teams tend to get better

True, but the difference between the 2010 and 2011 teams is not as wide as the 5-win differential would lead you to believe.  Remember, the final records for the 2010 opponents were as follows:

14-2
12-4
2-14
5-11
10-6
13-3
7-9
12-4
10-6
4-12
11-5
11-5
12-4
5-11
9-7
12-4

I'm no saying 2010 wasn't a lousy year, but how many games do you think the 2011 squad would have won against that slate?
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote