Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Oakland: Concerned?
(09-03-2015, 11:27 AM)XenoMorph Wrote: Gotcha... Yeah i think Overall You could consider Denver a West team.  but they are more of a mountain time zone... Still Denver is its own beast.  2 hour difference and a mile high. lol...

This brings to mind a question i had but havent had time to look up the answer too yet.

if anyone wants to look it up before i do....
What stadiums havent we won a game in during Daltons tenure.  Or Marvins if you want to go back even more.

Off the top of my head, I'd say Candlestick Park, Three Rivers Stadium, Cinergy Field, etc. Ninja
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(09-03-2015, 11:27 AM)XenoMorph Wrote: Gotcha... Yeah i think Overall You could consider Denver a West team.  but they are more of a mountain time zone... Still Denver is its own beast.  2 hour difference and a mile high. lol...

This brings to mind a question i had but havent had time to look up the answer too yet.

if anyone wants to look it up before i do....
What stadiums havent we won a game in during Daltons tenure.  Or Marvins if you want to go back even more.

Miami?... Gillette in Foxboro. Georgia Dome? Oakland.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(09-03-2015, 11:27 AM)XenoMorph Wrote: if anyone wants to look it up before i do....

I'd be interested to see the data over 12 years with Marvin (though I'm not sure how much it would really mean), but only 4 years with Andy wouldn't tell us too much whatsoever. Outside of our division, we probably haven't played in many stadiums more than 1 time, some of them a total of 0 with Andy. We only have 5 away games per year outside of the division in the regular season.
Reply/Quote
If we lose to Oakland it will bring a whole new meaning to the term "deflate gate" with your 2015 Bengal expectations.
Reply/Quote
This is a game they should win.  Unfortunately, there has been a history of playing down to the competition over the last couple years.  The hope has to be that the team has matured and that this won't be the case this year.  Throw in the "never having won in Oakland" and the team should have plenty of motivation.
Reply/Quote
I'm sorry, but the fact that we have never won in Oakland means nothing to this team. There is only one player on this team (Whitworth) that has ever even played in Oakland with the Bengals. That is probably the farthest thing from these guys minds.

Now the west coast factor is another story. But the Bengal's entire history in Oakland doesn't really have much to do with this team. It might mean more to the fans and the owner, but it should not affect the outcome of this game whatsoever.

I'm more worried about coming out flat in another big game. I know it's Oakland, but it's also the season opener. This is a HUGE game. If we somehow lay another egg in an important game, it will only prove what most intelligent Bengals fans already believe. Fire Marvin!

The sooner the better...
Reply/Quote
(09-03-2015, 12:41 PM)clevelandsdad Wrote: I'm sorry, but the fact that we have never won in Oakland means nothing to this team. There is only one player on this team (Whitworth) that has ever even played in Oakland with the Bengals. That is probably the farthest thing from these guys minds.

Now the west coast factor is another story. But the Bengal's entire history in Oakland doesn't really have much to do with this team. It might mean more to the fans and the owner, but it should not affect the outcome of this game whatsoever.

I'm more worried about coming out flat in another big game. I know it's Oakland, but it's also the season opener. This is a HUGE game. If we somehow lay another egg in an important game, it will only prove what most intelligent Bengals fans already believe. Fire Marvin!

The sooner the better...
I disagree.  I think they should use it as motivation.  I saw "A Football Life" with Warren Sapp.  He said that they were in San Diego and he was getting dressed for breakfast when ESPN said the Bucs had never won on the west coast.  He said that he went to Brooks' room and they went to the team breakfast and announced "this s%#t stops today, we win today no matter what".  I think this team could benefit from some of that fire.  Go in there with a little chip on their shoulders.
Reply/Quote
(09-03-2015, 01:01 PM)OrlandoBengal Wrote: I disagree.  I think they should use it as motivation.  I saw "A Football Life" with Warren Sapp.  He said that they were in San Diego and he was getting dressed for breakfast when ESPN said the Bucs had never won on the west coast.  He said that he went to Brooks' room and they went to the team breakfast and announced "this s%#t stops today, we win today no matter what".  I think this team could benefit from some of that fire.  Go in there with a little chip on their shoulders.

I'm not against them using it as motivation. I'm all for a little extra fire under their a**.

All I am saying is that the Bengals' history in Oakland has absolutely nothing do with how this game will turn out. This is a completely different team in a completely different time period than any previous games with Oakland. Now, us losing to Pittsburgh or New England this year (hypothetically), we clearly see that the recent history of this team shows that we struggle with them. However, we have no recent history with Oakland with this Bengals team. 

History is a non-factor in this scenario.
Reply/Quote
Some people will come up with any reason why we, as fans, can't be confident going into a game. If we can't be confident against the Raiders, when can we have confidence in this team?

Sure, "any given Sunday", but lets be real. The Bengals have no business losing to the Raiders.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(09-03-2015, 03:08 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Some people will come up with any reason why we, as fans, can't be confident going into a game. If we can't be confident against the Raiders, when can we have confidence in this team?

Sure, "any given Sunday", but lets be real. The Bengals have no business losing to the Raiders.

And if we lose (somehow), we know all fans will put the blame on Andy "Scapegoat" Dalton. Even if he has 250 yards, 2 TDs and 0 picks, the media and fans will say he should have had 350 yards with 3 TDs. It's never enough for young Andy.
Reply/Quote
(09-03-2015, 03:41 PM)clevelandsdad Wrote: And if we lose (somehow), we know all fans will put the blame on Andy "Scapegoat" Dalton. Even if he has 250 yards, 2 TDs and 0 picks, the media and fans will say he should have had 350 yards with 3 TDs. It's never enough for young Andy.

That's not true and it's just trying to bait a fight that doesn't need to happen.

Even Andy's biggest detractors give the guy credit when he plays well on a given week.
Reply/Quote
(09-03-2015, 12:21 PM)GodFather Wrote: If we lose to Oakland it will bring a whole new meaning to the term "deflate gate" with your 2015 Bengal expectations.

game 1 doesnt dictate the season... nor should it level your expectations...

but it is very nice to have that week 1 win last year was great vs the ravens. (the win)

but the year before we lost last second to the bears and 2013 was argueably better than 2014.

2009 (i believe was the year we got Burnt by Stokley week 1 as the time ran out) went on for our first ever sweep of the division.

I expect a win in the black hole.
Reply/Quote
(09-03-2015, 12:21 PM)GodFather Wrote: If we lose to Oakland it will bring a whole new meaning to the term "deflate gate" with your 2015 Bengal expectations.

2012 and 2013 called and would like to respectfully disagree with you.
Reply/Quote
(09-02-2015, 08:18 PM)Frank Pembleton Wrote: yes

I'm very concerned

Oakland is going to be ready....and angry

Will Cincy come out with that same intensity? who knows

Maybe you're a troll or sumptin? Tsss.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
Simply stated - ANY road game in the NFL is reason for concern. It's extremely difficult to win on the road. That being said, going on the road to the West Coast is a reason for even more concern for a Bengals fan.

I think we have a much better team, but the much better team does't always win.
Reply/Quote
(09-03-2015, 04:12 PM)Who Dey Time Wrote: 2012 and 2013 called and would like to respectfully disagree with you.

Until I asked how those playoffs went. Then they hung up embarrassed. 
Reply/Quote
(09-02-2015, 10:00 PM)BengalD Wrote: I'm out in Hawaii with work for the next few weeks so the only football that I'm really being exposed to right now is west coast team stuff. Watched the cards raiders game here on tv last weekend and I'm really concerned.  The raiders looked to be a much improved team over the last few years especially as it related to the starting units that played the first half for both teams.  If our offense is sluggish (as they sometimes are - still cant figure how that squad goes jeckyl and hyde),  the Bengals can very easily lose to an improved and hungry team.  Think the Bengals will have their hands full.

Bengald - I have lived in Hawaii over 20 yrs.  Been watching Bengal games at a bar called Champions for many years.  I wont be there Week 1 since it is a late game but come by Week 2 (9/20) if you are still out here.   Games start at 7am then 8am after daylight savings, takes getting used to.

Bengals better cover 3.5 v Raiders!!
Reply/Quote
Historically, the Bengals suck when playing out west. I do believe the Bengals have never beaten the Raiders out west.

Yes, there's cause for concern
Song of Solomon 2:15
Take us the foxes, the little foxes, that spoil the vines: for our vines have tender grapes.
Reply/Quote
(09-03-2015, 10:16 AM)XenoMorph Wrote: I know we won vs Seattle his rookie year... in Seattle... But didnt we lose a close one to the 49ers out west that same year?

Heading out west to play the Niners in this season in their new Levis Stadium. Looking forward to that one
Reply/Quote
We can say anything we want but how about we go out west and punch someone in the mouth?
Reply/Quote