Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Oakland: Concerned?
(09-02-2015, 11:44 PM)TGISunday Wrote: Followed by Hall, maualuga, Peko, Johnson on D.

Sad, really.

Hall might want to forget that one, too.

Now I have to look it up to get Gus's exact words... ah here we go:

STOKLEY! DOWN THE SIDELINE! CAN THEY CATCH HIM!? STOKLEY! WWWWOOOOOOOWWWWWWWW!!!!!!!!!

God I miss him in an NFL booth. 
Reply/Quote
(09-02-2015, 06:18 PM)clevelandsdad Wrote: New here, thanks for having me!

When the average NFL fan of a good NFL team see's a game with Oakland on the schedule, they usually circle that one as the game I might be able to miss for work, family etc. Even as a Bengals fan, I always feel good about playing them.

But like every year, Week 1 provides an air of uncertainty. This year, I believe it is accentuated with young Derek Carr seemingly budding, his new plethora of weapons (Cooper, Crabtree), and the human heat-seeking missile Khalil Mack. History also doesn't seem to favor us in Oakland, although I don't believe that matters too much.

As a Bengals fan, is there reason for genuine concern for this matchup? We definitely have a better roster, and better matchups across the field. But I'm always afraid of that Week 1 upset.

Concerned? Yes....the Bengals are 0-10 in Oakland.
Reply/Quote
If the Bengals come out and execute to their abilities, they will win going away. If they come out sloppy and unfocused the Raiders will smell blood, the crowd will go ape shit, and the Bengals will get trounced.
Reply/Quote
Things that worry me about the Raiders game:

1. We're 0-10 in Oakland (I don't think we've been there recently though - so these results aren't very relevant to 2015)
2. Derek Carr reminds me a lot of Dalton (that's pretty much a good thing - Carr is solid)
3. Latavius Murray, Amari Cooper and Crabtree make for a decent group of weapons

That's about it. Their defense finished dead last in '14 and the offense finished 31st. The Bengals are sooooo much more talented that this game shouldn't be close. I expect a big day for our offense. It's okay to be confident in your team every now and then. It won't be a jinx. If this were a playoff game, it'd be different.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(09-03-2015, 02:30 AM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Things that worry me about the Raiders game:

1. We're 0-10 in Oakland (I don't think we've been there recently though - so these results aren't very relevant to 2015)
2. Derek Carr reminds me a lot of Dalton (that's pretty much a good thing - Carr is solid)
3. Latavius Murray, Amari Cooper and Crabtree make for a decent group of weapons

That's about it. Their defense finished dead last in '14 and the offense finished 31st. The Bengals are sooooo much more talented that this game shouldn't be close. I expect a big day for our offense. It's okay to be confident in your team every now and then. It won't be a jinx. If this were a playoff game, it'd be different.

Dalton and Carr have very similar stats for their rookie seasons.

The Bengals are gonna do just fine as long as their heads are in the game.
Reply/Quote

When the average NFL fan of a good NFL team see's a game with Oakland on the schedule, they usually circle that one as the game I might be able to miss for work, family etc. Even as a Bengals fan, I always feel good about playing them.

But like every year, Week 1 provides an air of uncertainty. This year, I believe it is accentuated with young Derek Carr seemingly budding, his new plethora of weapons (Cooper, Crabtree), and the human heat-seeking missile Khalil Mack. History also doesn't seem to favor us in Oakland, although I don't believe that matters too much.

As a Bengals fan, is there reason for genuine concern for this matchup? We definitely have a better roster, and better matchups across the field. But I'm always afraid of that Week 1 upset.

They have a good pass rush, and we have a weakness at Center.  I'm a little concerned.  
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
We suck on the west coast. Regatdless of how good they are or have ever been, west coast games kill us.

Reply/Quote
(09-03-2015, 07:43 AM)HarleyDog Wrote: We suck on the west coast. Regatdless of how good they are or have ever been,  west coast games kill us.

The Bengals are undefeated with Dalton as QB playing on the west coast. The more you know.
Reply/Quote
(09-02-2015, 07:12 PM)Shady Wrote: Not to sound like Marvin, but there are no gimmes in this league. Oakland is good enough to beat us if we don't play well.

That said, winning a game in Oakland would be a nice monkey to get off our backs.

This.

And it is really test #1 of can this team avoid coming out flat against a what is sure to be a very fired-up Oakland squad. 
Reply/Quote
(09-03-2015, 08:07 AM)Brownshoe Wrote: The Bengals are undefeated with Dalton as QB playing on the west coast. The more you know.

They lost @Denver (assuming they count) in Andy's second NFL game, but yeah, they've only played a small handful of games out west over the last 4 years and have won most of them. Not sure where some of these myths come from on here.
Reply/Quote

Well this will be Daltons first chance at winning in Oakland... he and the team during his tenure have been doing well at breaking the bad streaks.. This one will fall next. I think our D outmatches their O... And overall our O should outmatch the D...

Then theres that elusive one at the end of the season they still have to conquer.
Reply/Quote
(09-03-2015, 09:24 AM)djs7685 Wrote: They lost @Denver (assuming they count) in Andy's second NFL game, but yeah, they've only played a small handful of games out west over the last 4 years and have won most of them. Not sure where some of these myths come from on here.

I know we won vs Seattle his rookie year... in Seattle... But didnt we lose a close one to the 49ers out west that same year?
Reply/Quote
(09-03-2015, 10:16 AM)XenoMorph Wrote: I know we won vs Seattle his rookie year... in Seattle... But didnt we lose a close one to the 49ers out west that same year?
That was in Cincinnati....  I was there with my pops.  Nobody knew how good SF was yet.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(09-03-2015, 10:16 AM)XenoMorph Wrote: I know we won vs Seattle his rookie year... in Seattle... But didnt we lose a close one to the 49ers out west that same year?

We did lose the 49ers game, but it was a home game.

2011 - Lost @Denver. Won @Seattle
2012 - Won @San Diego
2013 - Won @San Diego
2014 - No west coast road games

Meh, we really don't go out west very often.
Reply/Quote
(09-03-2015, 10:22 AM)djs7685 Wrote: We did lose the 49ers game, but it was a home game.

2012 - Won @San Diego
2013 - Won @San Diego

Cincinnati is closer to the east coast than Denver is to the west coast, so are we an east coast team?
Reply/Quote
Amidst some awful seasons, the Raiders have had a knack for pulling off some solid home wins. 2014 they beat Kansas City and 2013 they beat Pittsburgh at home.

Having said that, I think it is a bonus that the Bengals get the Raiders early in the season as the 2015 Raiders remind a bit of the early Marvin teams here. Building, improving the overall talent level, but not quite there yet. If the Bengals play well, they will win. But, if they do not, a loss to Oakland would not be surprising.

At the end of the day, you get to play 16 games. IMO, the Bengals will win more of those than not no matter whom they are against.
Reply/Quote
(09-03-2015, 10:42 AM)Brownshoe Wrote: Cincinnati is closer to the east coast than Denver is to the west coast, so are we an east coast team?

That's why I said "assuming they count" the first time I mentioned Denver. Geographically, they are one of the most western teams we've played in the past 4 years. I doubt many people count them as a west coast trip, but I threw the information out there anyway.

We rarely go out west, so to compile any sort of data it would be nice having more than just 1 or 2 games to go by. Either way, we're either 3-0 or 3-1 on those trips over the past 4 seasons which is obviously not "never winning out west" as some people will claim, so you're correct either way.
Reply/Quote
(09-03-2015, 10:49 AM)djs7685 Wrote: That's why I said "assuming they count" the first time I mentioned Denver. Geographically, they are one of the most western teams we've played in the past 4 years. I doubt many people count them as a west coast trip, but I threw the information out there anyway.

We rarely go out west, so to compile any sort of data it would be nice having more than just 1 or 2 games to go by. Either way, we're either 3-0 or 3-1 on those trips over the past 4 seasons which is obviously not "never winning out west" as some people will claim, so you're correct either way.

Well considering there are only 5 west coast teams I would assume that we wouldn't be going out there a lot anyways. (Seahawks, 49ers, Arizona, Chargers, Raiders)
Reply/Quote
(09-03-2015, 10:54 AM)Brownshoe Wrote: Well considering there are only 5 west coast teams I would assume that we wouldn't be going out there a lot anyways. (Seahawks, 49ers, Arizona, Chargers, Raiders)

We're going out west as many times in 2015 as we have in the past 4 years combined. Interesting, but I guess that happens when you play both the AFCW and NFCW in the same season.

If we end up losing a couple of those games, I highly doubt it will have anything to do with some perceived inability to perform on the west coast. I'm sure there will be plenty of people saying otherwise though, if that happens of course.
Reply/Quote
(09-03-2015, 10:22 AM)djs7685 Wrote: We did lose the 49ers game, but it was a home game.

2012 - Won @San Diego
2013 - Won @San Diego

Gotcha... Yeah i think Overall You could consider Denver a West team. but they are more of a mountain time zone... Still Denver is its own beast. 2 hour difference and a mile high. lol...

This brings to mind a question i had but havent had time to look up the answer too yet.

if anyone wants to look it up before i do....
What stadiums havent we won a game in during Daltons tenure. Or Marvins if you want to go back even more.
Reply/Quote