Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ocho fight

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
(06-07-2021, 09:05 AM)TecmoBengals Wrote: Chad should get a few extra ring of honor votes out of this.

I went Chad & Lapham with my votes. Since there are no Super Bowl winners, I went with the 2 that have entertained me the most.
Reply/Quote
(06-07-2021, 10:31 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Chad has kept himself in great shape.  He might possibly make an NFL roster.  (Darrell Green played CB when he was 42.  Willie Gault ran a 10.7 hundred meters when he was 45.)  But no way Chad would still be a top receiver.

But I sure as hell would like to see him try and comeback.  His Bengal career ended on a down note, and just look at what we have at WR behind our top 3.

He looks to be in fabulous shape! I would be all about Chad being in camp for a tryout. If for nothing else than the talking point. Would be awesome to see.
Reply/Quote
(06-07-2021, 10:55 AM)PDub80 Wrote: He looks to be in fabulous shape! I would be all about Chad being in camp for a tryout. If for nothing else than the talking point. Would be awesome to see.

Taylors seat is so hot he will barely be able to sit down during training camp.  I am sure he would love the distraction.

And to be honest, I would too.  I really soured on "Ochocinco" after that '08 off season, but I would still welcome "Chad Johnson" back for training camp.

And I am 100% serious about the WRs behind our top 3.  Even at 43 Chad could still be better than one of them.
Reply/Quote
(06-07-2021, 11:06 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Taylors seat is so hot he will barely be able to sit down during training camp.  I am sure he would love the distraction.

And to be honest, I would too.  I really soured on "Ochocinco" after that '08 off season, but I would still welcome "Chad Johnson" back for training camp.

And I am 100% serious about the WRs behind our top 3.  Even at 43 Chad could still be better than one of them.

Regarding WR depth..

- I have high hopes for Mike Thomas being a good #4, but Tate looks to be more of a specific scenario type of player.

- The kid from SF, Taylor, has some potential behind Boyd. He had a very good rookie season and then just fizzled out of San Fran. I know he was out 2019 with injury, but that doesn't explain the drop in targets and production...

ROOKIE 2017: 60 targets & 43 catches 
2018: 41 & 26
2019: DNP INJURED
2020: 21 targets for 10 catches

^ I'm sure missing 2019 put Taylor behind and the 49ers found a strong replacement and Taylor just didn't have a place.

- The intriguing guy to me is Scotty Washington. As a developmental guy to see out there, I'm hoping he can really grow and learn with the guys on the roster. I think the pace and expectations will be high from the Bengals top 3 and, as the saying goes, iron sharpens iron.

- My hopes and dreams involve CJ & Sample becoming very viable targets, limiting the use of 11 personnel and allowing for more 12 sets (2 TEs) and a more prominently featured rushing attack.

^ If fully healthy, this leaves limited roles for Thomas, Tate, Taylor, & Washington to where maybe they are just there for rotational use. At 43, could Chad take the pounding of a possession receiver? I have no doubts he could get open on shorter routes and still catch. But the play to play beating is my question.

Really curious as to what the Bengals 5 wide ends up looking like. Will that be based on the scenarios like down and distance? Or will it be a reliable same 5 guys? Right now it would probably be the big 3 and Thomas + Tate? or would a TE (or 2) be tossed in instead? An RB (Evans? Mixon?).

I appreciate Taylor having a super flexible offense... but at what point do the Bengals declare who and what they really are as an offensive unit? Jack of all trades, masters of none?
Reply/Quote
(06-07-2021, 10:31 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Chad has kept himself in great shape.  He might possibly make an NFL roster. 

Not a chance.
Reply/Quote
(06-07-2021, 12:02 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: Not a chance.

Ya I don’t think people realize his body wouldn’t be able to handle being smacked by guys half his age. Sure, he can run routes and catch balls, but he wouldn’t be able to take the tackles or outrun those guys.

AJ Green is 32 and people thought he looked geriatric on the field. Chad is 43.
Reply/Quote
I don't want to think about Chad, at 43 years old, taking a brutal hit from a linebacker.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(06-06-2021, 11:22 PM)CKwi88 Wrote: How far boxing has fallen.

Not specific to the Chad "fight", just the event in general.

For real.... Mayweather is better than this. He should be anyway.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(06-07-2021, 12:16 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: Ya I don’t think people realize his body wouldn’t be able to handle being smacked by guys half his age. Sure, he can run routes and catch balls, but he wouldn’t be able to take the tackles or outrun those guys.

AJ Green is 32 and people thought he looked geriatric on the field. Chad is 43.

Ray Brown played O-line at age 43. (2005)

Darrell Green played CB at 42. (2002)

Jerry Rice played WR at 42. (2004)

Jim Marshall played DE at 42 (1979)

Trey Junkin played LB at 41 (2001)

Jackie Slater played OT at 41 (1995)
Reply/Quote
(06-07-2021, 12:36 PM)jason Wrote: For real.... Mayweather is better than this. He should be anyway.

"Money May" has always said he would do anything for the money.
Reply/Quote
(06-07-2021, 11:51 AM)PDub80 Wrote: Regarding WR depth..

- I have high hopes for Mike Thomas being a good #4, but Tate looks to be more of a specific scenario type of player.

What makes you think Thomas would be a good WR4 at this point?
He's been in the league 5 seasons and has a whole 23 receptions for 276 yards.
He also turns 27 in August, so he doesn't really have many years left to blossom.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(06-07-2021, 02:11 PM)ochocincos Wrote: What makes you think Thomas would be a good WR4 at this point?
He's been in the league 5 seasons and has a whole 23 receptions for 276 yards.
He also turns 27 in August, so he doesn't really have many years left to blossom.

Who's a better alternative for #4 WR?

Thomas possesses....

Versatility: He can play any of the spots. He knows the offense. He is certainly more well rounded than Tate and I have no idea what Scotty Washington is/will be this season. Also seems like Stanley Morgan is a special teams ace and isn't being looked at as the #4.

And, last year he had 21 targets... by far the most of his entire career. clearly the Bengals gave him a chance to be a WR and not just special teams and then resigned him.

Sooooo, who else is the better choice for WR #4 given the roster composition as of today? 
Reply/Quote
(06-07-2021, 10:31 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Chad has kept himself in great shape.  He might possibly make an NFL roster.  (Darrell Green played CB when he was 42.  Willie Gault ran a 10.7 hundred meters when he was 45.)  But no way Chad would still be a top receiver.

But I sure as hell would like to see him try and comeback.  His Bengal career ended on a down note, and just look at what we have at WR behind our top 3.

That would be fabulous of Chad came back and made the team.
Reply/Quote
(06-06-2021, 11:22 PM)CKwi88 Wrote: How far boxing has fallen.

Not specific to the Chad "fight", just the event in general.

I'm glad Chad is having fun and he is and always has been one that loves to entertain.  But indeed these matches are not really what I consider boxing.  They are as described, exhibition matches, where the career fighter is paid very well to toy around with the challenger for the duration of the match.  Just like that youtube guy fighting Mayweather.   As long as people are willing to pay for it then it will continue and it isn't much different than professional wrestling.  If people find that entertaining then good for them I guess. 

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ    Yeah
Reply/Quote
(06-07-2021, 02:20 PM)PDub80 Wrote: Who's a better alternative for #4 WR?

Thomas possesses....

Versatility: He can play any of the spots. He knows the offense. He is certainly more well rounded than Tate and I have no idea what Scotty Washington is/will be this season. Also seems like Stanley Morgan is a special teams ace and isn't being looked at as the #4.

And, last year he had 21 targets... by far the most of his entire career. clearly the Bengals gave him a chance to be a WR and not just special teams and then resigned him.

Sooooo, who else is the better choice for WR #4 given the roster composition as of today? 

Tate may be more limited in where he can play, but Boyd is very versatile and I believe Higgins and Chase are (or can be) as well.
I'd think Tate can play either outside spot if called upon.
I'd prefer Trent Taylor in the backup slot role over Thomas. He's had 79 rec for 731 yards and 3 TDs across 3 seasons.
There are also other WRs to add in FA still who would be an improvement over Thomas.
Thomas is really just a ST guy in my eyes.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(06-07-2021, 10:53 AM)PDub80 Wrote: I went Chad & Lapham with my votes. Since there are no Super Bowl winners, I went with the 2 that have entertained me the most.

A big  Who Dey on the Chad vote. He's an all-time great WR and I'm in full agreement about the entertainment value. Coming out of the '90s and into the 2000s Chad made it fun to watch and root on the Bengals. He made it entertaining to root for the team.
Reply/Quote
(06-07-2021, 02:26 PM)George Cantstandya Wrote: I'm glad Chad is having fun and he is and always has been one that loves to entertain.  But indeed these matches are not really what I consider boxing.  They are as described, exhibition matches, where the career fighter is paid very well to toy around with the challenger for the duration of the match.  Just like that youtube guy fighting Mayweather.   As long as people are willing to pay for it then it will continue and it isn't much different than professional wrestling.  If people find that entertaining then good for them I guess. 

This thread is in Jungle Noise so I decided against the long rant, but you're exactly right. All this talk of "Chad held his own in the ring" or "Paul went the distance with Mayweather" that you see on social media is asinine. If Maxwell wanted to drop Chad in the first, he would have. He let him know that much in round 4. Mayweather literally held up a knocked out Paul.

Power to all of them. They made boatloads of money for minutes of glorified sparring on PPV. But take as much stock in Chad's prowess as a fighter from this fight as you do from him hitting his ex-wife.

(06-07-2021, 12:36 PM)jason Wrote: For real.... Mayweather is better than this. He should be anyway.

I thought the same of Mayweather when he became more concerned about protecting his unblemished record than fighting actual contenders. 

But now being retired from real boxing? Go get that money. The guy just took home 30+ million to carry a guy eight rounds. I can't hate 'em for that.
Reply/Quote
(06-07-2021, 11:06 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Taylors seat is so hot he will barely be able to sit down during training camp.  I am sure he would love the distraction.

People will scoff at this, but tbh he probably would be better than our depth guys. Both he and TO look like they could still play. Obviously they wouldn't be stars...but as depth guys who could get you 20 catches in a season? Sure. The NFL just won't give old guys a shot for some reason. Maybe it'd just reek of desperation.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(06-07-2021, 03:23 PM)CKwi88 Wrote: This thread is in Jungle Noise so I decided against the long rant, but you're exactly right. All this talk of "Chad held his own in the ring" or "Paul went the distance with Mayweather" that you see on social media is asinine. If Maxwell wanted to drop Chad in the first, he would have. He let him know that much in round 4. Mayweather literally held up a knocked out Paul.

Power to all of them. They made boatloads of money for minutes of glorified sparring on PPV. But take as much stock in Chad's prowess as a fighter from this fight as you do from him hitting his ex-wife.

I thought the same of Mayweather when he became more concerned about protecting his unblemished record than fighting actual contenders. 

But now being retired from real boxing? Go get that money. The guy just took home 30+ million to carry a guy eight rounds. I can't hate 'em for that.

I really hate to get into a debate on the legitimacy of these events, but Jake Paul wasn't worried about not embarrassing Nate Robinson. I think you're just letting your obvious hatred of Chad influence your opinion.

Pretty much every talking head had nothing but positive remarks about Chad. He held his own. Him getting knocked down at the end had everything to do with Chad slipping, and nothing to do with Maxwell "letting him know". Chad wasn't disciplined at the end, and he paid for it.

I do think these events are pretty dumb and embarrassing, but I don't think the guys in the ring somehow aren't trying. As for Mayweather, he wasn't protecting Paul...he was just playing a safe defensive fight against a much larger opponent. To knock Paul out, he would've needed to take risks. He's not going to risk losing his undefeated record in embarrassing fashion to a YouTuber.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote