Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Offensive Game Strategy vs. Buffalo
(12-28-2022, 05:06 PM)KillerGoose Wrote: I think you're looking at the wrong column, or maybe I am still misunderstanding what you're trying to communicate here. YCO is yards after contact. We're wanting to look at yards per attempt. At bare minimum, I am talking about YPA, not YCO. 

Are you trying to talk about yards before contact by direction? Up the middle is better there, but that isn't anything new. You'll always get more consistent yardage up the middle, but you will have less big plays (hence 3.6 yards per carry). Running to the tackles will net you bigger plays (hence 4.4 yards per carry), but also bigger losses, so a higher standard deviation. 

Are you looking at the team totals, or Mixon’s numbers? They’re both listed on the same page. Also, I’m on rushing by direction team season totals
Reply/Quote
(12-28-2022, 06:24 PM)BIGDADDYFROMCINCINNATI Wrote: Are you looking at the team totals, or Mixon’s numbers?  They’re both listed on the same page.

I am looking at the team totals, but the story is the same for both of them. 
Reply/Quote
Are you on Rushing by direction team season totals?
Reply/Quote
(12-28-2022, 06:31 PM)BIGDADDYFROMCINCINNATI Wrote: Are you on Rushing by direction team season totals?

Lol yes. I am using the exact same link you are using. I don't know what you're looking at, but rushing between the guards has not been the most successful for Cincinnati. 
Reply/Quote
(12-28-2022, 06:31 PM)BIGDADDYFROMCINCINNATI Wrote: Are you on Rushing by direction team season totals?

Going back to your original point, the Bengals aren't most successful when running between the guards. They're most successful running between the RG and RT and outside the RT. 4.9 and 4.5 respectively. 

Running between the guards is only getting them just below 3.4.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(12-28-2022, 11:04 AM)Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 Wrote: A week after losing our best run blocker, I doubt ZT goes run heavy. I mean, I'd love to be wrong, but Taylor throws on 1st and goal from the 2. We threw it almost 60 times with a 22-0 halftime lead vs a team whose DE combo have the most combined sacks in the league. In short, he is overly pass happy.

And,,poor tackling can come into play on receivers, too. Miss a tackle on Chase and.......

Very true and his overly pass happy tactics very nearly caused us the game last week. 
Reply/Quote
(12-28-2022, 06:37 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Going back to your original point, the Bengals aren't most successful when running between the guards. They're most successful running between the RG and RT and outside the RT. 4.9 and 4.5 respectively. 

This is why I am still in shock we couldn't run the football in the 3rd q with a 22 point lead on 2nd and 2.  no runs, pick 6 instead and a momentum swing that nearly costed us the game.  Run the ball and clock, win 30 to 6.. Be overly pass happy and come an eye lash close to losing. 
Reply/Quote
(12-28-2022, 11:04 AM)Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 Wrote: A week after losing our best run blocker, I doubt ZT goes run heavy. I mean, I'd love to be wrong, but Taylor throws on 1st and goal from the 2. We threw it almost 60 times with a 22-0 halftime lead vs a team whose DE combo have the most combined sacks in the league. In short, he is overly pass happy.

And,,poor tackling can come into play on receivers, too. Miss a tackle on Chase and.......

First of all, the Bengals did not throw the ball "almost 60 times with a 22-0 halftime lead." In fact, they threw the ball relatively few times once they had the lead. And Burrow threw the ball only 52 times all game, not "almost 60 times."

The Bengals got their lead of 22-0 by passing the ball. Burrow hit his first 11 passes. He had 3 TD passes in the first half. He was 13 for 15 in the first quarter. He was 28 of 36 for 284 yards in the first half. If we had run the ball in the first half, the Bengals probably never would have built such a lead. Then in the second half, he threw the ball only 16 times (versus 36 in the first half) and the Bengals never scored again.

The Bengals have the best receiving corps in the NFL and passing is the Bengals' identity. Why fans want to take the ball out of Burrow's hands, and the receivers, and give it to the running backs, who are 5th from the bottom in yards per carry, is beyond me. 
Reply/Quote
(12-28-2022, 06:51 PM)M.W. Wrote: This is why I am still in shock we couldn't run the football in the 3rd q with a 22 point lead on 2nd and 2.  no runs, pick 6 instead and a momentum swing that nearly costed us the game.  Run the ball and clock, win 30 to 6.. Be overly pass happy and come an eye lash close to losing. 

The Bengals are one of the worst running teams in the NFL. They are elite at passing. They tried running the ball in the 2nd half, passing only 16 times, and they failed miserably at running the ball. They averaged 3.0 yards per carry in the New England game. They failed consistently in short-yardage situations running. Burrow is elite. Taking the ball out of his hands and putting the game in the hands of the Bengals running backs is not a winning formula for this team. Our passing strengths outweigh every team we face. The Bengals running game is stopped by virtually every team we face. They are 5th from the bottom in yards per carry.  Teams are delighted when the Bengals run the ball.
Reply/Quote
(12-28-2022, 07:47 PM)Nepa Wrote: First of all, the Bengals did not throw the ball "almost 60 times with a 22-0 halftime lead." In fact, they threw the ball relatively few times once they had the lead. And Burrow threw the ball only 52 times all game, not "almost 60 times."

The Bengals got their lead of 22-0 by passing the ball. Burrow hit his first 11 passes. He had 3 TD passes in the first half. He was 13 for 15 in the first quarter. He was 28 of 36 for 284 yards in the first half. If we had run the ball in the first half, the Bengals probably never would have built such a lead. Then in the second half, he threw the ball only 16 times (versus 36 in the first half) and the Bengals never scored again.

The Bengals have the best receiving corps in the NFL and passing is the Bengals' identity. Why fans want to take the ball out of Burrow's hands, and the receivers, and give it to the running backs, who are 5th from the bottom in yards per carry, is beyond me. 

Great points. Although I don’t think our crappy YPC is due to our RB corps. It’s due to 1 of them and that’s Mixon. When he was out, our ground game seemed on point.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(12-28-2022, 07:58 PM)Nepa Wrote: The Bengals are one of the worst running teams in the NFL. They are elite at passing. They tried running the ball in the 2nd half, passing only 16 times, and they failed miserably at running the ball. They averaged 3.0 yards per carry in the New England game. They failed consistently in short-yardage situations running. Burrow is elite. Taking the ball out of his hands and putting the game in the hands of the Bengals running backs is not a winning formula for this team. Our passing strengths outweigh every team we face. The Bengals running game is stopped by virtually every team we face. They are 5th from the bottom in yards per carry.  Teams are delighted when the Bengals run the ball.

Zac is going to do what they are given. Belichick is old school stop the run. Too many on here are getting their panties in a wad because some have mentioned the run game. It’s not about taking the ball out of our receivers or Joe’s hands. It’s about being able to have some run game to be successful. When teams rush 3 and drop 8 you’ve got to be able to run the ball.
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
(12-28-2022, 06:37 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Going back to your original point, the Bengals aren't most successful when running between the guards. They're most successful running between the RG and RT and outside the RT. 4.9 and 4.5 respectively. 

Collins & Cappa are our best run blockers so this computes. 
Reply/Quote
(12-28-2022, 06:33 PM)KillerGoose Wrote: Lol yes. I am using the exact same link you are using. I don't know what you're looking at, but rushing between the guards has not been the most successful for Cincinnati. 
At first, I was looking at MR 244, and RT 239, not considering the YPA.
OK, I have 
       YDS   YPA
LG  137     3.5
ML  153     3.3
MR  244     4.4- Highest amount of total yards
RG  145      3.9
Average 3.775

LE    116      3.7
LT  70        3.2  Our worse YPA, and lowest amt of total yards
Average  3.45-YPA

Rt  131        4.7
RE  239      5.4  Our best YPA
Average  5.05-YPA
Reply/Quote
Tiger
In January

Offensively: Protect the football/Run the football / Score Early & Often

Defensively: Rush the passer / Stop the run / Create turnovers

Special Teams: No Big Plays & Just be the kicker I know

Zac: Don't get cute & I almost forgot... Challenge the plays that matter & not the ones that don't!!!
Reply/Quote
I'm not saying go run-heavy, but I think we need to establish the run to keep the chains moving and keep Allen on the sideline as much as possible. 
Reply/Quote
(12-28-2022, 08:59 PM)Emeritus Wrote: Tiger
In January

Offensively: Protect the football/Run the football / Score Early & Often

Defensively: Rush the passer / Stop the run / Create turnovers

Special Teams: No Big Plays & Just be the kicker I know

Zac: Don't get cute & I almost forgot... Challenge the plays that matter & not the ones that don't!!!

Exactly, you have to know how to run the damn ball come January. 
Reply/Quote
JOSH ALLEN the last 10 weeks:

Rank

Passer Rtg: 85.5- 26th

Turnovers: 12- Most in league

Completion%- 60.6- 30th

Yards/Pass: 6.9- 21st

Pass YPG: 227.7- 12th

Pass TD: 15- T-8th
"Knowledge is preferable to ignorance. Better by far to embrace the hard truth than a reassuring fable. "
---CARL SAGAN
Reply/Quote
(12-28-2022, 07:58 PM)Nepa Wrote: The Bengals are one of the worst running teams in the NFL. They are elite at passing. They tried running the ball in the 2nd half, passing only 16 times, and they failed miserably at running the ball. They averaged 3.0 yards per carry in the New England game. They failed consistently in short-yardage situations running. Burrow is elite. Taking the ball out of his hands and putting the game in the hands of the Bengals running backs is not a winning formula for this team. Our passing strengths outweigh every team we face. The Bengals running game is stopped by virtually every team we face. They are 5th from the bottom in yards per carry.  Teams are delighted when the Bengals run the ball.

The Bengals are absolutely not "One of the worst running teams in the NFL."  The Bengals have a PFF grade of 84.4, and are ranked #11. They're right at the top 1/3 of the league. 
Reply/Quote
(12-28-2022, 10:48 PM)BIGDADDYFROMCINCINNATI Wrote: The Bengals are absolutely not "One of the worst running teams in the NFL."  The Bengals have a PFF grade of 84.4, and are ranked #11. They're right at the top 1/3 of the league. 

They absolutely are. PFF grades are silly and unreliable at best, an absolute joke at worst. PFF grades are about the only metric you will find that paints Cincinnati as a good running team. The Bengals are a bottom tier rushing offense, there isn’t much way around it.
Reply/Quote
(12-28-2022, 11:07 PM)KillerGoose Wrote: They absolutely are. PFF grades are silly and unreliable at best, an absolute joke at worst. PFF grades are about the only metric you will find that paints Cincinnati as a good running team. The Bengals are a bottom tier rushing offense, there isn’t much way around it.

Come on now.  Even running at the interior of our line we're averaging 3.775 * 2= 7.55.  That's 3rd and a long 2, and I'll take that all day long.  We are night and day better once we went to gap down, man on, 2-level backer blocking, and dismissed the zone blocking scheme. Our runs in the RPO have been decent. 
Reply/Quote