Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Offensive Line Through 2 Games
Well this off season's biggest focus for improvement was the OL. There has been PLENTY of debate on here on whether it was addressed properly or not.

Let the numbers speak for themselves..

Burrow sacks so far.

* 2nd & 7, Shotgun, play-action
* 1st & 10, Under Center, play-action
* 3rd & 5, Shotgun
* 3rd & 3, Shotgun
* 3rd & 10, Shotgun
* 2nd & 1, Shotgun, Empty
* 2nd & 10, Shotgun, Empty (busted play)
* 2nd & 10, Shotgun, Empty

In addition to 16 QB hits according to ESPN stats.

So I guess it wasn't addressed so well after all the back and forth this offseason debates.

My only hope is we don't have Burrow get knocked out for a second year in a row and eventually become Andrew Luck 2.0 because of an inept front office addressing this issue. We have a Quarterback who can become one of the greats if allowed with protection. Instead, he looks like he will be a casualty of war from lack of protection if this trend continues throughout the year.
Reply/Quote
(09-20-2021, 04:01 PM)GodFather Wrote: Well this off season's biggest focus for improvement was the OL. There has been PLENTY of debate on here on whether it was addressed properly or not.

Burrow sacks so far.

* 3rd & 5, Shotgun
* 3rd & 3, Shotgun
* 3rd & 10, Shotgun

So I guess it wasn't addressed so well after all the back and forth this offseason debates.

My only hope is we don't have Burrow get knocked out for a second year in a row and eventually become Andrew Luck 2.0 because of an inept front office addressing this issue. We have a Quarterback who can become one of the greats if allowed with protection. Instead, he looks like he will be a casualty of war from lack of protection if this trend continues throughout the year.

Now list who is charged with each of those sacks
Reply/Quote
(09-20-2021, 04:08 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Now list who is charged with each of those sacks

I have the following
Hopkins 2
Sample Mixon Perrine Williams 
The other 3- sacks not sure
Reply/Quote
(09-20-2021, 04:26 PM)impactplaya Wrote: I have the following
Hopkins 2
Sample Mixon Perrine Williams 
The other 3- sacks not sure

I'd say that's about right....and Mixon's last whiff was INT #3.

"Better send those refunds..."

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(09-20-2021, 04:08 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Now list who is charged with each of those sacks

Frank Pollack runs the OL and RB's so your answer to the amazing turnaround you proclaimed this offseason is responsible. 
Reply/Quote
(09-20-2021, 04:31 PM)GodFather Wrote: Frank Pollack runs the OL and RB's so your answer to the amazing turnaround you proclaimed this offseason is responsible. 

Ultimately, you are correct. I like what they've done as far as running the ball, but the pass pro has been bad from RBs/TEs. The line itself has been around average. 

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(09-20-2021, 04:01 PM)GodFather Wrote: Well this off season's biggest focus for improvement was the OL. There has been PLENTY of debate on here on whether it was addressed properly or not.

Burrow sacks so far.

* 3rd & 5, Shotgun
* 3rd & 3, Shotgun
* 3rd & 10, Shotgun

Good information, but many of these sacks are on the backs, TE's, and/or Burrow himself, not necessarily the OL.  Thuney or Sewell would not stop Joe Mixon from blowing his assignments.

Out of 10 sacks this year, only 4 are on the OL(2 on Hopkins, 1 each on Jonah and Reiff).  That's still not great through 2 games, but manageable.  Assignment errors are killing them in pass pro.  When you look at when the sacks occurred, only 2 were in obvious passing situations (3rd and 4+).  3 of them came off play action that didn't fool anybody.  
Reply/Quote
(09-20-2021, 04:45 PM)Whatever Wrote: Good information, but many of these sacks are on the backs, TE's, and/or Burrow himself, not necessarily the OL.  Thuney or Sewell would not stop Joe Mixon from blowing his assignments.

Out of 10 sacks this year, only 4 are on the OL(2 on Hopkins, 1 each on Jonah and Reiff).  That's still not great through 2 games, but manageable.  Assignment errors are killing them in pass pro.  When you look at when the sacks occurred, only 2 were in obvious passing situations (3rd and 4+).  3 of them came off play action that didn't fool anybody.  

And the 16 QB hits?
Reply/Quote
(09-20-2021, 04:01 PM)GodFather Wrote: So I guess it wasn't addressed so well after all the back and forth this offseason debates.

There won't be any debate next offseason. TeamShinyNewToy I believe have learned their lesson on how to build an offense. If they haven't by now seeing what is happening to Burrow for a 2nd year in a row, they will have by end of year.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(09-20-2021, 04:50 PM)jj22 Wrote: There won't be any debate next offseason. TeamShinyNewToy I believe have learned their lesson on how to build an offense. If they haven't by now seeing what is happening to Burrow for a 2nd year in a row, they will have by end of year.

Chase was a great pick, so “team shiny new toy” was right about that. If only there was another way to add players to your team besides the draft…

The lazy narrative that it was OL at #5 or bust is letting Tobin and the team off the hook for not doing more in FA. Which where you acquire actual proven players, that could have protected Joe, RIGHT NOW. Not down the road.

They should have signed a center at the very least in addition to Reiff (and maybe another OG). Banking of Hopkins to be ready was clearly a mistake. But unless you wanted to use a top 5 pick on IOL, FA is where they failed. Not the draft.

Reply/Quote
(09-20-2021, 05:07 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Chase was a great pick, so “team shiny new toy” was right about that. If only there was another way to add players to your team besides the draft…

The lazy narrative that it was OL at #5 or bust is letting Tobin and the team off the hook for not doing more in FA. Which where you acquire actual proven players, that could have protected Joe, RIGHT NOW. Not down the road.

They should have signed a center at the very least in addition to Reiff (and maybe another OG). Banking of Hopkins to be ready was clearly a mistake. But unless you wanted to use a top 5 pick on IOL, FA is where they failed. Not the draft.

I agree with most of this. Our failure in FA should have forced our hand in the draft. It didn't, and instead they doubled down on the failure. Chase is a great player. But if I had to choose I choose the Franchise QB, which we are on the verge of not having. 

So we are about to have all these weapons (worthy of the draft slot no doubt), with no Franchise QB.... That is where we are headed. That's what our future is looking like the next couple years. 

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(09-20-2021, 04:48 PM)GodFather Wrote: And the 16 QB hits?

4 per PFF(2 on XSF, 1 each on Reiff and Hopkins).  I strongly suspect ESPN is including sacks as QB Hits based on this.
Reply/Quote
In 10 games in 2020, they had Burrow getting sacked 4 times per game and hit 8.9 times per game.

Wheres the big improvement?
Reply/Quote
(09-20-2021, 05:15 PM)Whatever Wrote: 4 per PFF(2 on XSF, 1 each on Reiff and Hopkins).  I strongly suspect ESPN is including sacks as QB Hits based on this.

They actually said getting hit 16x in addition to the sacks, and again thats according to ESPN.
Reply/Quote
(09-20-2021, 06:55 PM)GodFather Wrote: They actually said getting hit 16x in addition to the sacks, and again thats according to ESPN.

Yeah, hard to say what they are considering a hit, as every site calculates it differently.  

PFF has Burrow at 22 DPR, which includes sacks, by comparison.
Reply/Quote
I swear, whenever I hear Callahan talk, or see a quote from him, he’s usually saying things I wish Taylor would say…

Reply/Quote
(09-20-2021, 08:15 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: I swear, whenever I hear Callahan talk, or see a quote from him, he’s usually saying things I wish Taylor would say…

Whenever I see Zac's lips move I swear I hear, "So what's it going to take for me to get you into this car?"
Reply/Quote
O-line has not been properly maintained for multiple years now, so this is no big surprise.

Although they do look improved somewhat so hopefully they can get it together eventually.

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(09-20-2021, 05:13 PM)jj22 Wrote: I agree with most of this. Our failure in FA should have forced our hand in the draft. It didn't, and instead they doubled down on the failure. Chase is a great player. But if I had to choose I choose the Franchise QB, which we are on the verge of not having. 

So we are about to have all these weapons (worthy of the draft slot no doubt), with no Franchise QB.... That is where we are headed. That's what our future is looking like the next couple years. 

Through 2 games...

Sewell=0 Sacks, 3 QB Hits, 7 Total Pressures

Jonah=1 Sack, 0 QB Hits, 3 Total Pressures
Spain=0 Sacks, 0 QB Hits, 0 Total Pressures
Hopkins=2 Sacks, 1 QB Hit, 4 Total Pressures
XSF=0 Sacks, 3 QB Hits, 7 Total Pressures
Reiff=1 Sack, 1 QB Hit, 3 Total Pressures

Sewell hasn't allowed a sack yet, but Goff is only taking a sack on 14.3% of Pressures.  Burrow is taking a sack on a ridiculous 40.9% of his pressures.  He was at 21.9% last year by comparison.  
Reply/Quote
(09-20-2021, 08:15 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: I swear, whenever I hear Callahan talk, or see a quote from him, he’s usually saying things I wish Taylor would say…

Same here. I think Callahan is a smart dude.

Also agree that we should of gotten a Center like Linsley in the Offseason instead of acting like Hopkins was going to be ready.

Just should of done this as a precaution. Our OL has been average, not terrible. It has been Hopkins, the RB's and the TE's that
have been the problem. This is my biggest problem with the scheme being played and it isn't all on Taylor either, Burrow has a 
say on if he has a RB in the backfield helping him out. Think he is still learning this and empty sets don't work like they did at 
LSU in the pros. Our entire Offense needs to watch what the Chiefs do, that way they can make teams pay for blitzing too often.

Not like Burrow cannot figure this out like Mahomes and the Chiefs do. I am pretty sure he can.
Reply/Quote