Thread Rating:
  • 6 Vote(s) - 3.67 Average
***Official Bengals Free Agency Thread***
So far 1 for Lawson (4th round)

https://overthecap.com/compensatory-picks/

Hearing another 4th for WJIII

Nick Korte

@nickkorte

This signing adds a 4th round 2022 compensatory pick on the board to the Bengals.

Quote Tweet

Adam Schefter

@AdamSchefter
· 16h
WFT giving William Jackson a three-year, $42 million deal, per source. twitter.com/adamschefter/s
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
(03-17-2021, 02:56 PM)Joelist Wrote: Now go and reread what I posted. We may have ultimately lost out but lowballing him out of the gate insulted him and killed any chance. You make realistic market level offers at the outset and if the player is needed then you overpay - this notion of always trying to get a bargain is self defeating. 

Does it really matter if we were the 2nd highest bidder or the 32nd highest bidder?  He wasn't coming here with that kind of an offer from KC.

If we made a "competitive" offer, people would just complain that he just used us for leverage.

Seriously, are we complaining about not getting moral victories in FA?

And we do not know what the offer was, if there even was one, and if he had any actual interest in coming here.  What we have is supposed 4th or 5th hand information from someone claiming to know his sister.  
(03-17-2021, 03:10 PM)TJ528 Wrote: Isnt Erickson basically todays Query? lol I like him but dang

Yeah..LOL but at least he isnt our leading receiver   LMAO
(03-17-2021, 03:05 PM)TecmoBengals Wrote: Can you imagine hopping on The Bengals Board in 1993 with the intention of discussing Jeff Query as the leading Bengals receiver? So brutal.

I wasn't on them that early in the '90's, but I was on several in the mid-late '90's.  Pretty fun times, actually.  A lot more joking around and a lot less passive aggressive rants.  Lots of organizing raids to troll other team's boards.
(03-17-2021, 03:09 PM)Fulcher_33 Wrote: Yeah I can't even imagine what Message boards would have looked like then.

Few can.  99% of normal males were immediately taking that Prodigy disk that came in the mail, and spending the entirity of the free trial waiting 20 minutes at a time for some titty pic to download.
(03-17-2021, 03:11 PM)jj22 Wrote: So far 1 for Lawson (4th round)

https://overthecap.com/compensatory-picks/

Hearing another 4th for WJIII

Nick Korte

@nickkorte

This signing adds a 4th round 2022 compensatory pick on the board to the Bengals.

Quote Tweet

Adam Schefter

@AdamSchefter
· 16h
WFT giving William Jackson a three-year, $42 million deal, per source. twitter.com/adamschefter/s

I wish the NFL would make the compensatory forumula public and easy to digest.

Don't are signings offset these somewhat?  I thought it was an "in vs. out" type of calculation?
Don't bag on Jeff Query. He was the only receiver that made David Klingler look like a semi-decent QB.
Only users lose drugs.
:-)-~~~
(03-17-2021, 10:15 AM)Schmitbuck Wrote: Sure it did. He was complaining that the Bengals were hypocritical for not following their philosophy of signing their own drafted players like it was a black and white issue. Maybe google what nuance means. There could be multiple reasons why they didn't want to sign those two players. One could be that Jackson doesn't have the skill set that coaches are looking for their defense. Maybe the current staff wouldn't have drafted him in the first place. 

If he wants the Bengals to extend their players, them extending Hubbard & Bates should make him happy. 

It’s a little bit more nuanced than that.
(03-17-2021, 03:32 PM)Forever Spinning Vinyl Wrote: Don't bag on Jeff Query. He was the only receiver that made David Klingler look like a semi-decent QB.

No one made Klingler look like a QB lol  That dude was slower than molasses.

When the Bengals drafted him I knew it was the beginning of the end.  

Guy had a big arm just couldnt harness it. 

(03-17-2021, 03:29 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: Few can.  99% of normal males were immediately taking that Prodigy disk that came in the mail, and spending the entirity of the free trial waiting 20 minutes at a time for some titty pic to download.

Floppy and Commodore 64 homie!! LOL
(03-16-2021, 10:06 PM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: Well it’s good to see Hobson is still right on cue.

From his latest

“ The Bengals paid the price for being active early in free agency. The three deals are worth about $106 million and took up nearly all of the $20 million under this year's salary cap they had allotted for new players. ”

Lolz

So that's why we signed Hendrickson instead of Lawson then. Had we signed Lawson, that would've totally messed up the master plan. Mellow

(03-17-2021, 03:05 PM)TecmoBengals Wrote: Can you imagine hopping on The Bengals Board in 1993 with the intention of discussing Jeff Query as the leading Bengals receiver? So brutal.

Wes Mantooth: We need to upgrade Jeff Query with a quality free agent.

FredToast: jEfF qUeRy wAs 7tH iN tEh LeAgUe iN aDjUsTeD yAc yArDs pEr tArGeT aMoNg wRs 6 fEeT oR sHoRtEr wItH a LaSt nAmE tHaT sTaRtS wItH Q
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
(03-17-2021, 03:12 PM)Whatever Wrote: Does it really matter if we were the 2nd highest bidder or the 32nd highest bidder?  He wasn't coming here with that kind of an offer from KC.

If we made a "competitive" offer, people would just complain that he just used us for leverage.

Seriously, are we complaining about not getting moral victories in FA?

And we do not know what the offer was, if there even was one, and if he had any actual interest in coming here.  What we have is supposed 4th or 5th hand information from someone claiming to know his sister.  

Yes we already do know they lowballed both on yearly and on guaranteed and yes it matters - to the player and therefore to their agent. It harms us going forward because we get a bad reputation. And reputation is everything. A major reason we have terrible problems retaining out best players as well as signing primo Free Agents is the reputation we have of always looking for financial bargains instead of looking at winning first. 
As to the 90s; the big Bengals forum was on AOL in those days with posters like Umadogg. And it was pretty funny a lot of the time because everyone knew we sucked and no one expected anything.
I'm glad my Jeff Query reference sparked good conversation. Who Dey!

We sign any OL yet?
(03-17-2021, 03:48 PM)Joelist Wrote: Yes we already do know they lowballed both on yearly and on guaranteed and yes it matters - to the player and therefore to their agent. It harms us going forward because we get a bad reputation. And reputation is everything. A major reason we have terrible problems retaining out best players as well as signing primo Free Agents is the reputation we have of always looking for financial bargains instead of looking at winning first. 

I think if we are going to use the terms, there should be definitive definitions of "lowballed" and  "Overpaid"
(03-17-2021, 03:31 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: I wish the NFL would make the compensatory forumula public and easy to digest.

Don't are signings offset these somewhat?  I thought it was an "in vs. out" type of calculation?

I thought they would since the players we signed were free agents and not cut.

Maybe these would have been 3rd round picks if we hadn't made the signings. They should make it public and transparent. No reason to hide it if it's a legit formula (not saying it isn't legit).

(03-17-2021, 03:46 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: So that's why we signed Hendrickson instead of Lawson then. Had we signed Lawson, that would've totally messed up the master plan. Mellow

I think it was interesting he said the 20m we had allocated for new players as in the remaining was allocated for WJIII and Lawson. But they are long gone. So now how is he going to spin the disappearance of the other 20M. Rolled over for a Bates extension? 

(03-17-2021, 03:57 PM)jj22 Wrote: I think it was interesting he said the 20m we had allocated for new players as in the remaining was allocated for WJIII and Lawson. But they are long gone. So now how is he going to spin the disappearance of the other 20M. Rolled over for a Bates extension? 

Wouldn't be the worst way to spend it.
(03-17-2021, 03:58 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Wouldn't be the worst way to spend it.

If we actually re-sign him. I think we will tag him (which for a safety is a reasonable amount) then let him walk. MB isn't paying premium for Safety. 

(03-17-2021, 03:50 PM)TecmoBengals Wrote: I'm glad my Jeff Query reference sparked good conversation. Who Dey!

We sign any OL yet?
Soon, Soooooon :)

BTW Tecmobowl, and Super Tecmobowl were the shit in the 90s (since we've been on a 90s kick). My Friends and I would have leagues and binge play seasons a weekend at a time...LOL was so fun