Thread Rating:
  • 6 Vote(s) - 3.67 Average
***Official Bengals Free Agency Thread***
(03-17-2021, 05:56 PM)bengals67 Wrote: I predict the "upgrade" will be someone like XSF who can only be described as an "upgrade" because the Bengal's guards are so bad ( including XSF)

Yup.  And this time next year Fred will remind you that they tried to upgrade the OL.

"Hey, you can't say they didn't try.  They literally tried.  They signed that turd free agent for 3 million a year, and grabbed that shit sandwich in the 4th round."

"You guys are such squeelers.  You can't say the team didn't try to get better, it just didn't work."
(03-17-2021, 06:10 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: Yup.  And this time next year Fred will remind you that they tried to upgrade the OL.

"Hey, you can't say they didn't try.  They literally tried.  They signed that turd free agent for 3 million a year, and grabbed that shit sandwich in the 4th round."

"You guys are such squeelers.  You can't say the team didn't try to get better, it just didn't work."

Turd Furgeson?

"Better send those refunds..."

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(03-17-2021, 06:06 PM)J24 Wrote: What if we draft the next Kevin Zeitler and Clint Boiling in this draft? Both were pretty good guards for us and both were starters thier rookie seasons. 

We haven't been able to find them the last 5 years. 

Honestly. Using the 1st round pick on the same position/group for 3 out of 4 or now potentially 4 out of 5 years is no way to build a team. The reason our D is so bad is because we've neglected that side of the ball for Olineman so much in recent years.

I understand the approach and need, I just don't think it's good for team building to take the same position as much as we have in the 1st round. 

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
(03-17-2021, 05:39 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: I guess this question must be asked, what is it about Hudson that provoked his release?  It would seem that the Raiders would want to keep a Pro-bowl center on the team...If it is to reduce cap space, it would seem the Raiders could have looked elsewhere. Just some thoughts.  

From what I was hearing from the guys on Sirus NFL, the Raiders asked Hudson to take a pay cut, so that they could create some cap room.  He refused, so the options were to trade or release him.  Seems like the Raiders did well in picking up a 3rd round pick for him.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
(03-17-2021, 06:11 PM)Wyche Wrote: Turd Furgeson?

Haha.  Funny name.  Yeah, that's the guy.

[Image: Turd-Ferguson.jpg]

ok so Im guessing 2nd round left guard, put Hart at right guard, and keep Hopkins at C. Maybe 4th round center
When we whiff on these OL picks so many times and whiff on OL free agents also a lot, you have to start looking at......wait for it......the front office and HOW they evaluate talent. The process is clearly broken. With all the OL picks in recent years the only picks you can say we hit on are Jonah (may have been hurt but was good when in there) and Hopkins. We traded back in the first to get a headcase LT; ignoring the warning signs. And so on.

I think part of it is lack of scouts and another part is people without football knowledge (Mikey and the relatives) inserting themselves into the decision process. There also seems to be incoherence in the coaches on this stuff as evidenced by the constant flip flopping between blocking schemes - they pick a scheme but don't go out and get the right players to use the scheme or alternately pick schemes that fit the players. We've seen both.
(03-17-2021, 06:10 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: Yup.  And this time next year Fred will remind you that they tried to upgrade the OL.

This is pretty funny considering around this time last year the guys eating crow were the ones who guaranteed that the Bengals would not spend much money on outside free agents.

Of course even when we add one of the highest rated O-linr prospects in year in the draft you guys will still find some reason to keep soaking your diapers in tears over it.
Raise your hand if you expected the Bengals to not have come to an agreement with a single OL more than 48 hours into legal tampering.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

(03-17-2021, 06:28 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Raise your hand if you expected the Bengals to not have come to an agreement with a single OL more than 48 hours into legal tampering.

You'll probably see a few Horshack gif replies to this, but for myself, since we are in such dire need, DID NOT think it possible.
[Image: 442477217_947289567407463_69894548258261...e=6657196A]

(03-17-2021, 06:31 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: You'll probably see a few Horshack gif replies to this, but for myself, since we are in such dire need, DID NOT think it possible.

I honestly thought at least one OL (not necessarily Thuney) would have been acquired by now.
Heck, at minimum, Spain re-signed.
But this is really a letdown.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

(03-17-2021, 06:26 PM)Joelist Wrote: When we whiff on these OL picks so many times and whiff on OL free agents also a lot, you have to start looking at......wait for it......the front office and HOW they evaluate talent. The process is clearly broken. With all the OL picks in recent years the only picks you can say we hit on are Jonah (may have been hurt but was good when in there) and Hopkins. We traded back in the first to get a headcase LT; ignoring the warning signs. And so on.

I think part of it is lack of scouts and another part is people without football knowledge (Mikey and the relatives) inserting themselves into the decision process. There also seems to be incoherence in the coaches on this stuff as evidenced by the constant flip flopping between blocking schemes - they pick a scheme but don't go out and get the right players to use the scheme or alternately pick schemes that fit the players. We've seen both.

Scouting college players is not an exact science and even the best teams pick flops from time to time.  But we have been on an epic string of bad picks.  I think it is a combination of poor scouting and then poor coaching when we get them here.

Jonah has not looked that impressive, but you can't blame our scouts because EVERYONE had him as the highest rated O-lineman in the draft.  Maybe that is on the coaching.

Price may have been drafted a little too high, but even if he was a second round pick he should have been A LOT better than what he has shown so far.  Again, maybe that is on the coaches.

Ogbuehi was just a flop.  He has been on other NFL teams so the problem was not our coaches.

Fisher might have been our "bad luck' pick because of his health problems.

Cordy Glenn was not that bad when he was on the field, but he was a head case.
(03-17-2021, 06:28 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Raise your hand if you expected the Bengals to not have come to an agreement with a single OL more than 48 hours into legal tampering.

Cannot raise my hand here. Expected us to get at least one OL by now...

But we will see what happens in the end. FA didn't start until today.

I will wait to see what we get once all is said and done.
(03-17-2021, 06:34 PM)ochocincos Wrote: I honestly thought at least one OL (not necessarily Thuney) would have been acquired by now.
Heck, at minimum, Spain re-signed.
But this is really a letdown.

It is and your correct. It's one thing to not give a damn what the fans think, but when you have a possible future HOF'er rehabbing a shredded knee that week after week you ignored the game tape you watched over and over and doing nothing as your star QB gets slammed to the turf several times a game until the inevitable happens. And then do nothing to secure confidence in him that you give a shit about his future? That's a lame as lame can get. Not saying they won't land some mediocre upgrade in FA period, but they had a chance to make a statement but their love of Benjamin over Burrow has never shined so brightly.
[Image: 442477217_947289567407463_69894548258261...e=6657196A]

ooooooohhh tony brown!

don’t care
If you see something suspicious, say something suspicious.

(03-17-2021, 06:06 PM)J24 Wrote: He is scheduled to be back for week 1.

And AJ Green and Eifert were both projected to be back i less than 2 months.

With the offensive line as bad as it is. And with Hopkins ability level as slightly above average. And the fact he is coming back from an ACL tear and may or may not be ready at the start of the season. And his back up is Price, do you really think he can’t be upgraded to protect Burrow’s surgically repaired knee?

Because I don’t. If I had an opportunity to replace him with someone better and without an injury concern I would definitely take advantage of it.

Quite the strategy isn't it ?  Yawn
(03-17-2021, 06:44 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: And AJ Green and Eifert were both projected to be back i less than 2 months.

With the offensive line as bad as it is. And with Hopkins ability level as slightly above average. And the fact he is coming back from an ACL tear and may or may not be ready at the start of the season. And his back up is Price, do you really think he can’t be upgraded to protect Burrow’s surgically repaired knee?

Because I don’t. If I had an opportunity to replace him with someone better and without an injury concern I would definitely take advantage of it.

I agree, and I'm a little disappointed that for as far as we can tell, the team hasn't really made any serious effort to sign any of the significant OL that have signed with other teams thus far.  Then again, we don't really know the entire story.  Maybe the Bengals did reach out, maybe the players had no interest in coming to Cincinnati or maybe their agents just gave the Bengals a ridiculously high number.  Like I said, we really don't know.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
(03-17-2021, 06:12 PM)jj22 Wrote: We haven't been able to find them the last 5 years. 

Honestly. Using the 1st round pick on the same position/group for 3 out of 4 or now potentially 4 out of 5 years is no way to build a team. The reason our D is so bad is because we've neglected that side of the ball for Olineman so much in recent years.

I understand the approach and need, I just don't think it's good for team building to take the same position as much as we have in the 1st round. 

This is why you spend in free agency and bring in a tier 1 guard or tackle. If you suck at developing OL then let someone else do it. Kinda how the Reds suck at developing pitching and what do they do sign free agents.  Know your strengths and weaknesses. If we had gotten Feiler or Zeitler at guard I could lived with taking a T in the 2nd round. Now you better hope and pray a T is available who's worthy of the #5 pick.