Thread Rating:
  • 6 Vote(s) - 3.67 Average
***Official Bengals Free Agency Thread***
Dodged a bullet there. Veteran WRs don’t ever work out with fantastic results do they? At least not on those giant top of the market contracts
Hopefully with Golladay signing we can commit to making some other moves.
(03-20-2021, 06:04 PM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: Dodged a bullet there. Veteran WRs don’t ever work out with fantastic results do they? At least not on those giant top of the market contracts

The hip injury is especially a concern.  OBJ has lost a step since his.  For a one year prove it type deal, I would have been ok with it, because he's the downfield threat we need at WR, but not for that contract.  

I would look at Larry Warford and/or Trai Turner at G, Melvin Ingram or Jadaveon Clowney at edge, and Hilton or Conley at WR.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Turner is only 27. Younger that I thought he was.
As for Trai Turner, I went to some Chargers message boards and no one seems upset he’s gone. One comment in particular was that he has physically “hit the wall.” There was a reason Carolina traded him and he was even worse for the Chargers a year later. I also read he gave up 6 sacks. We all hated Bobby hart, did he give up that many? Find someone else please.

Chris Reynolds was my original thought for WR. Then Tyrell Williams was available for a split second. I saw the Curtis Samuel love here, then he was my favorite. Then the GollaDEY stuff. I knew that was a leverage play, so I didn’t get my hopes up. I also like Perriman. He had a great end to 2019 after both Evans and Godwin went down (and helped me win my league in fantasy). So Reynolds or Perriman please!

I hope they keep an eye on Kwon Alexander’s rehab. Clowney or Suh would be cool. I know it’ll never happen. I want Eifert back. I don’t think Sewell will be there at 5. I’d like to have Chase, but they gotta take Pitts, if Sewell is gone.
Trai Turner has been in the league for 7 years, 27 years old. HAS BEEN TO FIVE PRO BOWLS. He's had nagging injuries the past year or so but if the coaches and medical team thinks he is a fit, lets do it. This dude is a top is a top 5/10 guard when he is healthy. He will come relatively cheap and he should easily be priority #1 right now. These are the kind of signings the Steelers and Ravens always make and end up killing us all year long. Buy low on a 5 year all pro who's biting at the bits to prove the league wrong and that he is elite when healthy. SIGN ME UP!!!
(03-20-2021, 07:17 PM)Dean_Gilberry95 Wrote: As for Trai Turner, I went to some Chargers message boards and no one seems upset he’s gone.  One comment in particular was that he has physically “hit the wall.”  There was a reason Carolina traded him and he was even worse for the Chargers a year later.  I also read he gave up 6 sacks.  We all hated Bobby hart, did he give up that many?  Find someone else please.  

https://www.pff.com/nfl/players/trai-turner/8727

Pff says he gave up 1 sack.
(03-20-2021, 07:34 PM)pookdogg7 Wrote: https://www.pff.com/nfl/players/trai-turner/8727

Pff says he gave up 1 sack.

I’m all for a former Pro Bowler, but look at his overall Grade from the very same site. 34.8. Michael Jordan graded out better. Plus their own fans say how he fleeced the Organization. I guess for the right price, maybe. Two teams gave up on him rather quickly, doesn’t hurt to kick the tires.
(03-20-2021, 07:47 PM)Dean_Gilberry95 Wrote: I’m all for a former Pro Bowler, but look at his overall Grade from the very same site.  34.8.  Michael Jordan graded out better.  Plus their own fans say how he fleeced the Organization.  I guess for the right price, maybe.  Two teams gave up on him rather quickly, doesn’t hurt to kick the tires.

The Panthers traded him after 5 straight pro bowls, they didn't really give up on him quickly. The Chargers got him and he was dealing with injuries all season, they definitely gave up on him quickly. I'm willing to consider last year a wash with the injuries.

He'll probably want a one year deal and won't break the bank and if we get the '15-'19 version we'll be adding a pro bowler for a year.
(03-20-2021, 04:43 PM)Fulcher_33 Wrote: We can move on from the Golladay talk. Giants sign him to 4yr 72m

This is a sign that the dark cloud is moving away from Cincinnati. No way, no how do you pay that guy 18 mil a year for 4 years. Looks like the Giants will continue to suck and now hopefully the Bengals go after Sammy Watkins. 
[Image: 442477217_947289567407463_69894548258261...e=6657196A]

(03-20-2021, 02:49 PM)Joelist Wrote: I would also like to see a Guard or two so that we go into the draft without being pegged into a particular pick.

That said, I did some research into what we've done so far and really I like these signings better than some.

Hendrickson for example I rate better than PFF and its secret formula (which usually yields results contrary to what my eyes show me). He's basically Lawson with the advantage of actually finishing the play in pass rush.

Ogunjobi is the big wild card in the class - if he delivers on pass rush like he has flashed before then the D suddenly has an interior QB pressure ability it has lacked for a while. Not being asked to play in the wrong role will help (like the Stains did last year). The ENTIRE D had 17 sacks last year - Hendrickson and Ogunjobi had 16 themselves.

Then there is Hilton who has quietly become an A List slot corner and is also A List in pass rush capability. Again he adds a missing element to the defense. Awuzie I think is the team betting that fully recovered and in a different scheme he will look like he did in 2019. Also they are getting Waynes back and ANY move that means we don't get stuck with Leshaun Sims on the field again is a plus in my book.

Reiff is such an obvious upgrade it goes without saying.

Nice post Joelist. Have to agree that this FA is looking better by the minute. It just took the signing of Reiff to really see it.
Also would like Trai Turner here if he is 100%. Throw last year out the window, dealing with 2 injuries.

Yes, the Giants totally overpaid for Golladay. Coming off a hip injury and you pay him that? Crazy shit man.
(03-20-2021, 08:06 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: This is a sign that the dark cloud is moving away from Cincinnati. No way, no how do you pay that guy 18 mil a year for 4 years. Looks like the Giants will continue to suck and now hopefully the Bengals go after Sammy Watkins. 

Exactly, and their OL isn't much better. They get Solder back this year who opted out, but he wasn't good in 2019. A.Thomas struggled as a rookie, so does he take the jump in year 2? and after moving to RT with Solder back? Plus their IOL is a mess as well. Yet they paid a guy who never had more than 70 catches in a season and one solid year with 11 Tds. and coming of a season with a hip injury that saw him play 5 games? No thanks. Not for 18m per with a lot off other holes to fill..
(03-20-2021, 05:07 PM)pookdogg7 Wrote: The Bengals have reached out to five-time Pro Bowl guard Trai Turner according to NFL reporter Malik Wright.

Sick

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
(03-20-2021, 09:57 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Sick

Let that happen and I might drop my franchise-long pessimism!
(03-20-2021, 05:50 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Trai is one I've wanted since giddy up. Given he was part of a trainwreck oline last year but I heard Solomon Wilcots and David Deihl talk about him and they absolutely love him. Deihl says he's the strongest off the point of attack (not 100% what that means; maybe fires off quickly) in the NFL and Solly said he is perfect for our scheme. Gimme Trai, draft Sewell, and I'm a happy fan. 

I think that means that 3rd and 2 is a rushing down, when the play is called to his side.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
I think Brett Jones would be a solid depth signing. Has experience at C and G. Played in this same blocking scheme and former teammate of Reiff. He would be cheap also.
(03-20-2021, 08:41 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Also would like Trai Turner here if he is 100%. Throw last year out the window, dealing with 2 injuries.

Yes, the Giants totally overpaid for Golladay. Coming off a hip injury and you pay him that? Crazy shit man.

He's been hurt each of the last 4 years and missed at least 3 games in each of those years. Durability doesn't normally go up with age. If you throw last year out the window, you're going to regret it.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Here are Turner's PFF scores & snap counts by year:

2020: Chargers: 34.8, 536
2019: Panthers: 63.9, 888
2018: Panthers: 67.9, 762
2017: Panthers: 72.6, 844
2016: Panthers: 67.0, 1,098
2015: Panthers: 79.1, 1,079
2014: Panthers: 72.5, 660

Our guards last 3 years:

XSF:
2020: Bengals: 59.1, 293
2019: Cowboys: 60.1, 307
2018: Cowboys: 44.1, 494

Jordan: all Bengals
2020: 55.7, 731
2019: 43.7, 648
2018: n/a

Spain:
2020: Bills/Bengals: 56.7, 720
2019: Bills: 55.4, 1,063
2018: Titans: 67.7, 856

Redmond: all Cincy
2020: 61.5, 448
2019: 50.6, 189
2018: 60.8, 928

The last year Turner had that was significantly better than the guys we have (who were being coached by Turner), was 3 years ago.

Not saying it is not worth a shot, but I wouldn't spend much, nor expect much. Certainly would not pencil him in as a solution, or even a starter.

My draft preference would still be:
1) OT
2) WR
3) IOL
(03-20-2021, 02:41 PM)impactplaya Wrote: I guess your saying Callahan.and Taylor are totally narrow minded and so set they cant incorporate 12 personal 
In the playbook?
BTW Pitts was running a great deal of the route tree last year
He has the most dynamic skillset of all skill.players in this draft
Hes more WR than TE

Yes, that's what I'm saying. Taylor will not draft Pitts and change his whole philosophy for 1 TE. If AJ was still AJ, and Mixon didn't get hurt, and Burrow didn't get hurt, Taylor's offense would've averaged 27 to 30 points per game. Taylor is sticking with his 11 personnel most of the time, and it works if he has the right personnel. (And, will be Top 5 in the league if they add someone like Chase to it). 
His whole coaching career has been 3WR, 1RB plain and simple. 

He's more Dynamic than JaMar Chase??? Please go back and look at his stats first, then watch him DOMINATE everyone in the SEC at the age of 19 WITH Burrow AND win a National Title. That's Dynamic! That's all you should need to know. 

He's not more WR than TE. He's a 6'6 250 lb TE who has limited blocking experience. He won't be on the field on blocking downs (like Kelce and Kittle are) , Sample or Uzomah would be. He doesn't have the speed to be on the outside and run polished routes against #1 DBs in the NFL. 

I'm not saying he won't be a Top 10 pick, b/c he will. He may even go #2 to the Jets. But, he doesn't fit the scheme or philosophy for Taylor's offense, where Chase or Smith do as #1 WRs. And, I'm taking Sewell over him as well for protection for Burrow.