Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Officially Signed: Sheldon Rankins
Not to mention a couple of weeks ago posters were saying we should not re-sign Reader because of his injury and he most likely would not be able to start the season. Now, it's "We need to sign Reader or FA is a bust." (FWIW I want Reader back as well)
Reply/Quote
I want Reader back.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I don't think Dehner is right. I think a 3T was always in the plan because of the need for interior pass rush. Rankins was probably one of their top two choices especially after the cap skyrocketed, causing the top names to get resigned. Reader is a NT and yes I'd love to have him back but I expect they also have a Plan B there also - they aren't coming off Free Agency without a run stopping NT.
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2024, 10:34 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: How much cap space do the Texans have? They're trying to sign everyone.

They had more than us from the beginning.

Reply/Quote
(03-14-2024, 10:01 AM)ochocincos Wrote: Paul Dehner Jr tweeted out this:

I'm glad they got Rankins, but from what Paul says, he was not part of their original plan.

that is a writers opinion, nothing to really back it up... Rankins is a solid move regardless
Reply/Quote
We all know what this move was for

We just don’t wanna admit it

Reader is gone. Well roll with BJ, Sheldon and whatever roomie we draft

May even get Tuopu back just in case we can’t get a rookie we like
-Housh
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2024, 01:10 PM)Housh Wrote: We all know what this move was for

We just don’t wanna admit it

Reader is gone. Well roll with BJ, Sheldon and whatever roomie we draft

May even get Tuopu back just in case we can’t get a rookie we like

I don't see that at all. They wanted Rankins to swap in and out with Hill, next to Reader.... ie, our Ogunjobi 2.0
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2024, 01:03 AM)casear2727 Wrote: Click watch on YouTube to see Rankins highlights.

Man, Rankins just abused Cappa and Karras a couple times there. What stands out to me is how athletic he looks out there for a 300
pound man. Moves extremely well, not as big and lumbering as BJ Hill, more explosive off the snap and seems like he has more length
when comparing the two 3-techs we now have.

Love this pickup.
Reply/Quote
(03-13-2024, 11:33 PM)casear2727 Wrote: With this free agency I think it is safe to guess that we are going OT at #18.  They are guaranteed a Top 6 OT which is the magic number Tobin mentioned at the combine. 

That's interesting. I have my own meaningless Top 5. I think most draftniks have the same: Alt, Olu, Fuaga, JCL, Mims. I guess who their sixth is is the question. It's probably Fautanu, although I'm not sold on him yet myself. Never been the biggest fan of asking rookies to switch sides. I have the same reservation around Olu and Alt, tbh.  

Either way, it bugs me if we're settling for #6 of whatever pos group in the middle of the first round. But I guess we'll cross that bridge when we get to it. 
Reply/Quote
Anyone else listen to the press conference?

Dude does not lack confidence...that is for damn sure lol

He also made it sound like he's going to be a direct replacement for Reader which I found interesting...
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
Welcome to the Jungle get this man some Cheese Coneys
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2024, 12:58 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: that is a writers opinion, nothing to really back it up... Rankins is a solid move regardless

I don't get why people think a huge space eater as a starting every down guy at DT is critical to stopping the run. Do they need space eaters on the roster? YES, of course. But there are a lot of ways to construct a D line and have it be successful. I think the draft will have to be where any kind of long term DT solution comes from and I'm excited for that.

These mid level or higher priced vets are not worth it long term. DJ Reader included. I LOVE DJ Reader, but 26 year old DJ and his 2 good legs aren't coming through that door this FA period & the Bengals need to complete their roster. It is what it is at this point.
Reply/Quote
(03-18-2024, 12:02 PM)PDub80 Wrote: I don't get why people think a huge space eater as a starting every down guy at DT is critical to stopping the run. Do they need space eaters on the roster? YES, of course. But there are a lot of ways to construct a D line. I think the draft will have to be where any kind of long term DT solution comes from. These mid level or higher priced vets are not worth it long term. DJ Reader included. I LOVE DJ Reader, but 26 year old DJ and his 2 good legs aren't coming through that door this FA period & the Bengals need to complete their roster. It is what it is at this point.

They still need more depth regardless of who's starting at where. Rankins and Hill aren't enough. Reader and Hill weren't enough.
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
Sign Tart sign Howard.
go Latham Fuaga or Mims in 1 trade tee to Arizona for pick 37 and 71.
Take Mitchell or Franklin in two at 37 and then sweat at 49. Boom.
Our problems are solved
Reply/Quote
We'll sign a NT as well. Rankins is a 3T like Hill and gives us back the missing interior pass rush component.
Reply/Quote
(03-18-2024, 01:17 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: They still need more depth regardless of who's starting at where. Rankins and Hill aren't enough. Reader and Hill weren't enough.

100% correct.

It's a question as to how you want to solve the problem?

I LIKE the fact that the Bengals want to rotate Sam, Murphy, Rankins, Hill, Sample, Carter around at DT. They can draft a guy high(ish), make a cut or two & get him into that rotation. I'm happy with that plan over signing 30+ year old, one legged DJ Reader for a TON of money.
Reply/Quote
(03-18-2024, 01:54 PM)Joelist Wrote: We'll sign a NT as well. Rankins is a 3T like Hill and gives us back the missing interior pass rush component.

Rankins is going to play Readers spot
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
(03-18-2024, 12:02 PM)PDub80 Wrote: I don't get why people think a huge space eater as a starting every down guy at DT is critical to stopping the run. Do they need space eaters on the roster? YES, of course. But there are a lot of ways to construct a D line and have it be successful. I think the draft will have to be where any kind of long term DT solution comes from and I'm excited for that.

These mid level or higher priced vets are not worth it long term. DJ Reader included. I LOVE DJ Reader, but 26 year old DJ and his 2 good legs aren't coming through that door this FA period & the Bengals need to complete their roster. It is what it is at this point.

Rankins will replace Reader
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
(03-18-2024, 11:55 AM)WeezyBengal Wrote: Anyone else listen to the press conference?

Dude does not lack confidence...that is for damn sure lol

He also made it sound like he's going to be a direct replacement for Reader which I found interesting...

Of course he believes he is replacing Reader.  He didnt sign a 13 million dollar per year contract thinking he is coming to Cincinnati to backup BJ Hill.
Reply/Quote
(03-18-2024, 02:43 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: Rankins is going to play Readers spot

Maybe on pass rushing downs/situations but there was a reason we still hosted Tart and we are still looking at NT's in the draft from what I have been told by someone who is close to another NFL team. I do think it is likely Rankins starts and Hill plays more of a back up to him though at the 3T.
Reply/Quote