Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Officially Signed: Sheldon Rankins
(03-13-2024, 10:13 PM)Wyche Wrote: He's one of mine....but Bell and Hilton are up there for me too. The hit on Shit Schuster, and the pick six of Pig Pen were two of my favorite plays. 

I would add Bobby Williams! Bell's hit on Shuster, woke up Cincinnati!!!
Reply/Quote
(03-13-2024, 11:02 PM)bfine32 Wrote: We play a 4-man line, we don't "need" a huge NT. 

I explained this before, a 4 man line doesn’t simply remove the position of NT. Over and under fronts still utilize a NT. You don’t need a massive player but you need someone who is actually a NT and their skill set suits it. We can add someone who is 315 to play nose but they should be an actual nose than a 3T. If we think we are going to run BJ Hill out there to play NT I would be a bit worried.
Reply/Quote
(03-13-2024, 11:03 PM)casear2727 Wrote: Brother, we play the Ravens, Steelers, and Browns twice a year, we need a solid NT.  Come on now. 

The truth.

(03-13-2024, 11:04 PM)BenZoo2 Wrote: In a passing league?  

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We beat the Chiefs using a lot of 5-2 fronts in the AFC Championship game and it confused the hell out of Mahomes.
Reply/Quote
(03-13-2024, 10:54 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Didn't know Nnadi was a Free Agent. Might want to take a look at him if Reader signs with the Lions.

Nnadi would be someone def worth checking out for sure.
Reply/Quote
(03-13-2024, 11:05 PM)Au165 Wrote: I explained this before, a 4 man line doesn’t simply remove the position of NT. Over and under fronts still utilize a NT. You don’t need a massive player but you need someone who is actually a NT and their skill set suits it. We can add someone who is 315 to play nose but they should be an actual nose than a 3T. If we think we are going to run BJ Hill out there to play NT I would be a bit worried.

And it doesn't simply mean you must play one. A 3-4 does.

I get folks have said it and it cannot be unsaid, but we don't "need" a NT (huge or otherwise). Now it's probably good to have a couple 
big-bodies for situational need. I've just heard too much "we gotta have this 325+ NT, we don't
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-13-2024, 11:00 PM)Synric Wrote: Movin' on up? 

Thanks a lot Synric, now that song is stuck in my head..... Sad
Reply/Quote
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(03-13-2024, 11:11 PM)bfine32 Wrote: And it doesn't simply mean you must play one. A 3-4 does.

I get folks have said it and it cannot be unsaid, but we don't "need" a NT (huge or otherwise). Now it's probably good to have a couple 
big-bodies for situational need. I've just heard too much "we gotta have this 325+ NT, we don't

Tart is not close to 325 but he is a natural NT.   We absolutely need a NT.

Reply/Quote
(03-13-2024, 11:03 PM)casear2727 Wrote: Brother, we play the Ravens, Steelers, and Browns twice a year, we need a solid NT.  Come on now. 

The Ravens played the Dolphins w/ their huge NT and 3-tech and won 56-19. 

Reply/Quote
Another interesting thing is that Rankins was signed for less than what the Cardinals signed Jonah Williams for, so it's still possible to get a compensation pick next year for Jonah.
Reply/Quote
(03-13-2024, 11:11 PM)bfine32 Wrote: And it doesn't simply mean you must play one. A 3-4 does.

Yes it does, Nose Tackle is a position not a weight. You HAVE to play a NT in an over or under front, it’s literally part of the scheme only in an even front would you play two 3Ts and it’s rare to run an even in the NFL today in base. A NT has responsibilities in these fronts that are different than a 3T. Thats why I just said it has nothing to do with size but skill set. Harrison Phillips and Daquan Jones are good NT but are both under 320. My point is we need an actual NT not simply a 3T we ask to play nose.
Reply/Quote
(03-13-2024, 11:14 PM)bfine32 Wrote: The Ravens played the Dolphins w/ their huge NT and 3-tech and won 56-19. 

The Dolphins had a bad defense.  They couldnt beat a team with a winning record. 

Im not sure why this is even a question?  We need a NT for the AFCN.  Not sure why you think we dont?

Reply/Quote
(03-13-2024, 10:55 PM)Synric Wrote: Trenches!!!

I wonder if BJ Hill will get up to 318ish and play more in the A gap this year.

Are you trying to tell me  3-Techs can play the A Gap. they don't have to line-up on the nose? 

Reply/Quote
(03-13-2024, 11:19 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Are you trying to tell me  3-Techs can play the A Gap. they don't have to line-up on the nose? 

No, because by definition if they are in the a gap they are playing a 1T…and are a nose tackle lol.
Reply/Quote
The reality is we struggled against the run last year. You are not improving your run defense by replacing Reader with Rankins. What you want to do is keep Reader and add Rankins to the mix which would actually improve the defense vs just swapping Rankins for Reader which does very little to improve it.
Reply/Quote
(03-13-2024, 11:22 PM)007BengalsFan Wrote: The reality is we struggled against the run last year. You are not improving your run defense by replacing Reader with Rankins. What you want to do is keep Reader and add Rankins to the mix which would actually improve the defense vs just swapping Rankins for Reader which does very little to improve it.

This
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
Solid signing
Reply/Quote
(03-13-2024, 11:22 PM)Au165 Wrote: No, because by definition if they are in the a gap they are playing a 1T…and are a nose tackle lol.

You don't need to line up over the nose to be responsible for the A Ga......

You know what...never mind roll with it. I'm playing too big of a part of distracting the premise of the OP.

Glad to have Rankins on board.

Reply/Quote
Super-exciting 3-techs in this draft. I was hoping to take a run at one of them. But this probably makes it less likely.

But even more than the football, we've taken a significant leadership loss over the past few days. First Chido and Mixon, now Jonah and Reader, with Boyd and maybe even Tee on the way out too. It's a lot to process.
Reply/Quote
(03-13-2024, 11:27 PM)bfine32 Wrote: You don't need to line up over the nose to be responsible for the A Ga......

You know what...never mind roll with it. I'm playing too big of a part of distracting the premise of the OP.

Glad to have Rankins on board.

My man you need to brush up on your football. You are thinking of a 0 technique as the only “nose tackle” alignment, which is a traditional 3-4 NT. In a 4-3 which you keep clamoring about the NT is going to line up as a 1T. A 1T positions the player to the shoulder of the center IN THE A GAP.

A 3T can’t play a 1T by definition because that designation is literally where they line up on the front. If the 3T is playing 1 or 0 they are your nose tackle on that play. The point is simply putting someone at NT does not make them one as the skill set is specific.
Reply/Quote