Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Officiating crew is done
(01-16-2022, 03:03 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Right ThumbsUp

It was a complete BS call and only got the flag from Carr's acting job. But that call very,very much could have altered the outcome of the game.

Crickets from national media on that though.

Brees and Tirico were quick to point out it was because of the acting job and a bad call.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Sucks to suck.
Everything in this post is my fault.
Reply/Quote
Whistle TD aside the entire game was poorly called by the refs and I think it affected both teams.

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ    Yeah
Reply/Quote
(01-16-2022, 02:17 PM)MTBengalsFan Wrote: One of these days. the NFL will decide to hire refs full-time, rather than having officials who have other jobs. OTOH, that hasn't exactly paid dividends for MLB.

Agreed. And it isnt like they cant afford them full-time. One game's worth of commercials should be enough for that lol.
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

Reply/Quote
(01-16-2022, 03:25 PM)George Cantstandya Wrote: Whistle TD aside the entire game was poorly called by the refs and I think it affected both teams.

Ain't that the truth!
Reply/Quote
(01-16-2022, 03:09 PM)magikod Wrote: Yeah on this other forum I'm on people are saying that the Bengals only won because of shitty refs, etc.

Chiefs?
#WhoDey
#RuleTheJungle
#TheyGottaPlayUs
#WeAreYourSuperBowl

Reply/Quote
(01-16-2022, 02:15 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: Lmao this is what the league always does. Something goes wrong, the game ends, then rule changes or punishments are handed out after the fact.

How about get it right before things have a chance to go bad

To be fair it's kind of bad form to dole out punishments before something bad happens..  Cool The exception was my dad...He'd swat me across the head (not hard) and say, "That's for nothing. Wait'll you do something."  You're suggesting maybe the NFL should adopt a similar policy?
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
By next week pretty much no one will care about the whistle play. The national media is playing it up because they have nothing else to talk about with how much of a blowout the Bills game was.

If you look at most of the chatter about the play the vast majority of people (including Raiders fans) don't think the play was a big deal or that the whistle changed how the play would have gone. Obviously the refs made the wrong call (twice) but most realize TD should and would have happened without the refs messing it up. Plus it was really early in the game compared to something like the Saints missed PI or other terrible ref mess ups.

If you go to the Raiders forum and look at their post game chat hardly anyone is bringing up the messed up TD and addressing the 5-10 other areas that lead to their loss. 
Reply/Quote
(01-16-2022, 03:35 PM)TheFan Wrote: By next week pretty much no one will care about the whistle play. The national media is playing it up because they have nothing else to talk about with how much of a blowout the Bills game was.

If you look at most of the chatter about the play the vast majority of people (including Raiders fans) don't think the play was a big deal or that the whistle changed how the play would have gone. Obviously the refs made the wrong call (twice) but most realize TD should and would have happened without the refs messing it up. Plus it was really early in the game compared to something like the Saints missed PI or other terrible ref mess ups.

If you go to the Raiders forum and look at their post game chat hardly anyone is bringing up the messed up TD and addressing the 5-10 other areas that lead to their loss. 

I don't even know if a ref actually blew a whistle.. it's not impossible to smuggle a whistle into a game as a fan.. It couldn't been someone looking for their kid..  Tongue
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
I learned a long time ago as a young cop that when my senses told me something wasn't right, something wasn't right. In all my years watching the NFL, I don't think I've seen them come out and bash a ref crew like this publicly. I said during the game day thread when I popped in, I would be interested if the ref who blew the early whistle had gambling debts, or if they got the call from New York. When I take that call, add in the BS roughing the passer call which put LV in position to score, and now the NFL publicly saying these refs will not be allowed to ref any more playoff games, I think it's pretty clear NY called and told the refs to make sure LV won. They didn't, now they can't ref any more games. Prove me wrong.
Reply/Quote
Boyd may not have caught it before whistle blew, you cant conclusively say Boyd wasn't touching it when whistle blew either. 3rd and 4 we can bleed clock and eventually get same result regardless score different it may affect 4th down call later. we can play the what if game until we are blue in the face.
Reply/Quote
(01-16-2022, 03:40 PM)Sled21 Wrote: I learned a long time ago as a young cop that when my senses told me something wasn't right, something wasn't right. In all my years watching the NFL, I don't think I've seen them come out and bash a ref crew like this publicly.  I said during the game day thread when I popped in, I would be interested if the ref who blew the early whistle had gambling debts, or if they got the call from New York. When I take that call, add in the BS roughing the passer call which put LV in position to score, and now the NFL publicly saying these refs will not be allowed to ref any more playoff games, I think it's pretty clear NY called and told the refs to make sure LV won. They didn't, now they can't ref any more games. Prove me wrong.

I was really hoping a Bengals win would finally help some people get over their pathetic "the league is against the Bengals" takes. 

Refs from the wild card games usually don't continue to move on reffing in the later play off rounds. Also, anyone in the world who watched this game could objectively say these refs were terrible, regardless of the whistle play. 

Just like in the regular season refs are graded after games and it was obvious to everyone they sucked and shouldn't continue reffing in this post season. There's less games next week so why would they not take this crew out who was obviously already a lower graded one. 
Reply/Quote
(01-16-2022, 03:41 PM)Bengalfan4life27c Wrote: Boyd may not have caught it before whistle blew, you cant conclusively say Boyd wasn't touching it when whistle blew either. 3rd and 4 we can bleed clock and eventually get same result regardless score different it may affect 4th down call later. we can play the what if game until we are blue in the face.

Sure you can.  Replay has the whistle loud and clear and the ball is not yet to the receiver.

The thing is, even if they screwed up further and called it a loss of down instead of a replayed down, we were in FG position.  So change the 7 point victory to a 3 point victory and the Bengals still outscored the Raiders.
Reply/Quote
(01-16-2022, 03:40 PM)Sled21 Wrote: I learned a long time ago as a young cop that when my senses told me something wasn't right, something wasn't right. In all my years watching the NFL, I don't think I've seen them come out and bash a ref crew like this publicly.  I said during the game day thread when I popped in, I would be interested if the ref who blew the early whistle had gambling debts, or if they got the call from New York. When I take that call, add in the BS roughing the passer call which put LV in position to score, and now the NFL publicly saying these refs will not be allowed to ref any more playoff games, I think it's pretty clear NY called and told the refs to make sure LV won. They didn't, now they can't ref any more games. Prove me wrong.

Fixed it.

But yeah, "inadvertent whistles" are dangerous because a few blown here and there can alter the outcome of a game. I think when the ball is released by the QB before the whistle it should be considered a continuation until it is touched/caught or hits the ground/out with no advancement.
#WhoDey
#RuleTheJungle
#TheyGottaPlayUs
#WeAreYourSuperBowl

Reply/Quote
(01-16-2022, 03:47 PM)TheFan Wrote: I was really hoping a Bengals win would finally help some people get over their pathetic "the league is against the Bengals" takes. 

Refs from the wild card games usually don't continue to move on reffing in the later play off rounds. Also, anyone in the world who watched this game could objectively say these refs were terrible, regardless of the whistle play. 

Just like in the regular season refs are graded after games and it was obvious to everyone they sucked and shouldn't continue reffing in this post season. There's less games next week so why would they not take this crew out who was obviously already a lower graded one. 
 It's pretty clear Goodell and the rest of the owners do not like Mike Brown. 
Reply/Quote
(01-16-2022, 03:47 PM)jfkbengals Wrote: Sure you can.  Replay has the whistle loud and clear and the ball is not yet to the receiver.

The thing is, even if they screwed up further and called it a loss of down instead of a replayed down, we were in FG position.  So change the 7 point victory to a 3 point victory and the Bengals still outscored the Raiders.

Wouldn't they have just kicked a field goal and tied the game to go to OT...?
Reply/Quote
(01-16-2022, 03:48 PM)Interceptor Wrote: Fixed it.

But yeah, "inadvertent whistles" are dangerous because a few blown here and there can alter the outcome of a game. I think when the ball is released by the QB before the whistle it should be considered a continuation until it is touched/caught or hits the ground/out with no advancement.

It would not surprise me one bit to see a rule change in the offseason to address this situation.  I would think that there would be verbiage added to the rules to state the condition you describe, with a caveat to say that if the whistle is to blow the play dead as a no play scenario (a TO was called, enforce a false start, etc.) then the play was indeed dead.
Reply/Quote
(01-16-2022, 03:51 PM)TheFan Wrote: They would have just kicked a field goal and tied the game to go to OT...?

Or the officials enforce the bomb to Chase and the Bengals go on to score another TD?
Reply/Quote
(01-16-2022, 02:34 PM)jfkbengals Wrote: Those weren't officiating issues.  Multiple camera angles clearly showed the Raiders receiver catching the ball, and the fact the Raiders were starting to huddle allowed the replay official to quickly see it was a catch and notify the referee.  The second play looked like a catch and fumble live, and the Raiders raced to the line to snap the ball so it could not be reviewed.  Thus Zac threw the challenge flag to force a replay review to overturn the play.  The system 100% worked on those two sequences, and the were among the rare times things were done correctly last night.

I kinda disagree with this. Yes, multiple camera angles showed the Raiders receiver catching the ball. But only after watching them multiple times was that clear. I think that New York called it complete because it was obvious it didn't hit the ground as the receiver was reaching out and catching the ball. But if you continue with the play, then when the receiver flipped over, the ball seemed to come out and hit the ground. I had to watch that multiple times to determine the receiver had completed the catch. 

Yet, New York decided right away that it was a complete catch. I felt they should have allowed the challenge. I'm not sure that the Raiders would have even challenged the play, because they already had used a time out. 

On the other hand, the Bengals had to use a challenge in a play that the announcers immediately said did not look like a complete catch. 

If New York is going to get involved, they should only get involved in 100% obvious plays, like whether a receiver had two feet down in bounds, not plays that look iffy on first look.
Reply/Quote
(01-16-2022, 03:53 PM)jfkbengals Wrote: It would not surprise me one bit to see a rule change in the offseason to address this situation.  I would think that there would be verbiage added to the rules to state the condition you describe, with a caveat to say that if the whistle is to blow the play dead as a no play scenario (a TO was called, enforce a false start, etc.) then the play was indeed dead.

I'm honestly just as or more confused about the TO they randomly gave to the Raiders after an entire play came and went with 0 whistles blown or anything called by the refs. Literally every single person/ref on the field thought the play was live except for the Raiders player trying to call the TO.

Just because you signal for TO doesn't mean it's instantly granted and the ref did absolutely nothing to indicate he gave it to them.
Reply/Quote