Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Officiating crew is done
(01-16-2022, 03:25 PM)Millhouse Wrote: Agreed. And it isnt like they cant afford them full-time. One game's worth of commercials should be enough for that lol.

I don't think the league is the problem, as they added several full time officials a few years ago.  I think the problem is the officials themselves not wanting to lose their lucrative primary careers.  Most of these guys are doctors and lawyers pulling in hefty salaries in those jobs.  They want to continue to double dip with the NFL being their part time side gig.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-16-2022, 03:58 PM)TheFan Wrote: I'm honestly just as or more confused about the TO they randomly gave to the Raiders after an entire play came and went with 0 whistles blown or anything called by the refs. Literally every single person/ref on the field thought the play was live except for the Raiders player trying to call the TO.

Just because you signal for TO doesn't mean it's instantly granted and the ref did absolutely nothing to indicate he gave it to them.

Yeah, officials screw that up all the time (not awarding the TO prior to the snap) and let the play stand, even though a player or coach (in this case both) were clearly trying to call for one.  They often due award the TO, but there is CLEARLY an official trying to blow the play dead or stop everyone prior to the snap, and that absolutely did NOT happen here.  Personally, I think this was the make up call for awarding the TD after the errant whistle.
Reply/Quote
(01-16-2022, 03:49 PM)Sled21 Wrote:  It's pretty clear Goodell and the rest of the owners do not like Mike Brown. 

Bengals have been on the the NFL Competition Committee for some time.  The committee is selected by the commissioner.  Seems odd if Goodell does not like Mike Brown that he would pick Mike Brown to be on the committee and most recently Katie.

Edit: Also there was very recently about a weeks worth of posts here where people stalked the Chiefs forums and made fun of them for talking about the NFL rigging the game.

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ    Yeah
Reply/Quote
I really don't think the whistle play was that egregious. I know I'm biased but the whistle blew what fractions of a sec before Boyd caught the ball. Easily to be mistaken by the officials that he may have already caught the ball. If no whistle blows it's still a touchdown the only thing you could possibly argue is that a defender coming across could've hit Boyd and attempted to dislodge it. But I really don't think anyone was even in position to do that. I think that rule really applies to a play where the players have time to truly give up on the play and affect the outcome. While the letter of the rule might have called it dead and replayed the down it had no effect and would've been more egregious to the Bengals if was handled that way.
Reply/Quote
(01-16-2022, 04:06 PM)George Cantstandya Wrote: Bengals have been on the the NFL Competition Committee for some time.  The committee is selected by the commissioner.  Seems odd if Goodell does not like Mike Brown that he would pick Mike Brown to be on the committee and most recently Katie.

MB is often times the only voter who goes against all the other owners in votes. Being on the competition committee doesn't mean anything, they make the rules before the season, but they don't enforce them in the games. Being a long time Bengals fan, it's the old "We know a thing or two because we've seen a thing or two." We've all seen the Bengals suffer at critical times due to horrendous calls..... like the Bengals being flagged for Joey Porter being in their huddle. 
Reply/Quote
(01-16-2022, 04:12 PM)Sled21 Wrote: MB is often times the only voter who goes against all the other owners in votes. Being on the competition committee doesn't mean anything, they make the rules before the season, but they don't enforce them in the games. Being a long time Bengals fan, it's the old "We know a thing or two because we've seen a thing or two." We've all seen the Bengals suffer at critical times due to horrendous calls..... like the Bengals being flagged for Joey Porter being in their huddle. 

OK, it's rigged, the NFL wants the Bengals to lose and they hate Mike Brown.  :)

Like I edited above, people here spent the better part of a week stalking the Chiefs message board and making fun of them for claiming the game was rigged after the Bengals win.  

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ    Yeah
Reply/Quote
(01-16-2022, 04:12 PM)Sled21 Wrote: MB is often times the only voter who goes against all the other owners in votes. Being on the competition committee doesn't mean anything, they make the rules before the season, but they don't enforce them in the games. Being a long time Bengals fan, it's the old "We know a thing or two because we've seen a thing or two." We've all seen the Bengals suffer at critical times due to horrendous calls..... like the Bengals being flagged for Joey Porter being in their huddle. 

Would it be accurate to say you've probably seen at least 10x as many Bengals games as other teams? Therefore it's highly more likely you've seen more calls go against the Bengals then any other team. 

Not to mention you're highly biased so even questionable plays you will lean as being against us. Ask ANY franchise and they think the refs/league are against them. Refs suck and will have terrible calls go for you and terrible calls go against you. It's not some huge conspiracy.
Reply/Quote
(01-16-2022, 04:21 PM)TheFan Wrote: Would it be accurate to say you've probably seen at least 10x as many Bengals games as other teams? Therefore it's highly more likely you've seen more calls go against the Bengals then any other team. 

Not to mention you're highly biased so even questionable plays you will lean as being against us. Ask ANY franchise and they think the refs/league are against them. Refs suck and will have terrible calls go for you and terrible calls go against you. It's not some huge conspiracy.

Trust me, I'd like to not believe it, it's just a lingering suspicion reinforced over and over.
Reply/Quote

I don't want to go down the rabbit hole. But I do think its strange that the NFL even made the statement that the Ref crew won't do anymore playoff games. Kind of saying they messed up and with that being the biggest play in question. When every NFL fan has seen way more egregious calls and the only statement the NFL makes is to double down and say the call was correct.

The paranoid fan in me worries about next weeks game. No matter who we play it will be a tough game to win. The last thing we need is the Refs looking to correct they're perceived mistake.
Reply/Quote
(01-16-2022, 02:25 PM)ochocincos Wrote: I see a handful of national media people complaining about not replaying the down.
Yes, technically the rule would be to replay the down if there's a preemptive whistle, but the whistle shouldn't have been blown in the first place.
The call on the field to award the TD was the correct call.

Like I've been saying to all the whiners and complainers on PFT: Would you rather get it right? Or have an official mistake change the outcome of a playoff game? Normally that's the last thing people want, but now we WANT officials goofing up the true result?
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(01-16-2022, 04:23 PM)NUGDUKWE Wrote: I don't want to go down the rabbit hole. But I do think its strange that the NFL even made the statement that the Ref crew won't do anymore playoff games. Kind of saying they messed up and with that being the biggest play in question. When every NFL fan has seen way more egregious calls and the only statement the NFL makes is to double down and say the call was correct.

The paranoid fan in me worries about next weeks game. No matter who we play it will be a tough game to win. The last thing we need is the Refs looking to correct they're perceived mistake.

The NFL literally created a new rule due to the refs screwing the Saints with the missed PI vs the Rams. They also came out and said the call was wrong like they have for a number of all really bad calls. 

We had other calls go our way in the Raiders game as well as against us. 
Reply/Quote
(01-16-2022, 04:24 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Like I've been saying to all the whiners and complainers: Would you rather get it right? Or have an official mistake change the outcome of a playoff game? Normally that's the last thing people want, but now we WANT officials goofing up the true result?

Now Charles Woodson is making the ridiculous claim that the game would be tied if not for that call: "So really, this is actually a tied ball game right now today. They should go back, take the seven points off the board, and we got to play this game … maybe Wednesday. We can’t keep getting these kind of calls like that."
Reply/Quote
(01-16-2022, 04:28 PM)Nepa Wrote: Now Charles Woodson is making the ridiculous claim that the game would be tied if not for that call: "So really, this is actually a tied ball game right now today. They should go back, take the seven points off the board, and we got to play this game … maybe Wednesday. We can’t keep getting these kind of calls like that."

Charles Woodson is about as unbiased as Sled lol
Reply/Quote
(01-16-2022, 04:28 PM)Nepa Wrote: Now Charles Woodson is making the ridiculous claim that the game would be tied if not for that call: "So really, this is actually a tied ball game right now today. They should go back, take the seven points off the board, and we got to play this game … maybe Wednesday. We can’t keep getting these kind of calls like that."

I mean, Woodson is a raider through and through, so of course he said that.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(01-16-2022, 04:23 PM)NUGDUKWE Wrote: I don't want to go down the rabbit hole. But I do think its strange that the NFL even made the statement that the Ref crew won't do anymore playoff games. Kind of saying they messed up and with that being the biggest play in question. When every NFL fan has seen way more egregious calls and the only statement the NFL makes is to double down and say the call was correct.

I don't know that the league made an official statement.  I think it was reported by one of the insiders, Mort, Schefter, etc.
Reply/Quote
(01-16-2022, 02:15 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: Lmao this is what the league always does. Something goes wrong, the game ends, then rule changes or punishments are handed out after the fact.

How about get it right before things have a chance to go bad

It sometimes doesn’t work out that way. If you have ever officiated any sport at any level will understand this

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Reply/Quote
Until someone explains to me a timeout without a ref attempting to make any signal, shut up about a whistle nobody near the ball heard and that impacted nothing. Also it was like 3rd and 4 or something I believe. Bengals didn’t need a TD. Assuming a FG is utterly ridiculous. Maybe the Bengals go for it on 4th and inches and eventually score a TD if the score is different
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
Wow, Bengals fans squealing about the NFL conspiracy against them the day after we get a wrong call in our favor.  You may not agree with the rule, but an inadvertent whistle means replay the down.

Every fan of every NFL team will be able to tell you a time they were "robbed" by the refs.  But, like a lot of Bengal fans, they forget the ones that went in their favor.

It is called "implicit bias".
Reply/Quote
(01-16-2022, 04:49 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Wow, Bengals fans squealing about the NFL conspiracy against them the day after we get a wrong call in our favor.  You may not agree with the rule, but an inadvertent whistle means replay the down.

Every fan of every NFL team will be able to tell you a time they were "robbed" by the refs.  But, like a lot of Bengal fans, they forget the ones that went in their favor.

It is called "implicit bias".

Personally I think if the NFL wanted any team out it would be the Raiders. They keep talking about overcoming adversity but look at what that adversity was. A player killing a young woman and discovering a coaches awful emails.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
(01-16-2022, 04:24 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Like I've been saying to all the whiners and complainers on PFT: Would you rather get it right? Or have an official mistake change the outcome of a playoff game? Normally that's the last thing people want, but now we WANT officials goofing up the true result?

Agreed.
Certain media personalities all of a sudden act like it's more important to go on the technicality.
If the whistle had been blown, they replayed the down, and it didn't result in a TD, I'd be livid.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote