Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Officiating crew is done
(01-16-2022, 02:29 PM)jfkbengals Wrote: But it wasn't the correct call, because of the whistle.  There are two things that were done incorrectly from the officiating crew on that play.  First, blowing the whistle after Joe threw the ball inbounds.  Second, awarding a touchdown instead of replaying the down.

When I say correct call, I meant that the whistle shouldn't have been blown in the first place, allowing the TD.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-16-2022, 02:24 PM)magikod Wrote: I'm confused, was the bad call when Burrow was in the air and threw it for a TD, but he was out of bounds but never touched?

Or was it a different play?

Same play but due to a whistle, that happened when the ball was in the air supposedly, the play should have been dead/replayed.
Reply/Quote
(01-16-2022, 02:32 PM)WVUHomer Wrote: Same play but due to a whistle, that happened when the ball was in the air supposedly, the play should have been dead/replayed.

If they had replayed the down, it COULD have resulted in just a FG, and then the Raiders could have just kicked a FG at the end to tie and go into OT.
However, the Bengals could have just possibly scored a TD on the replay of the down, so it may not have made a difference.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(01-16-2022, 02:29 PM)ochocincos Wrote: There were plenty of officiating issues.
I found it odd that there was a call overturned in favor of the Raiders that didn't require a challenge flag, but the Bengals had to use a challenge on the same type of thing just plays later.
The roughing the passer call was BS too.

Those weren't officiating issues.  Multiple camera angles clearly showed the Raiders receiver catching the ball, and the fact the Raiders were starting to huddle allowed the replay official to quickly see it was a catch and notify the referee.  The second play looked like a catch and fumble live, and the Raiders raced to the line to snap the ball so it could not be reviewed.  Thus Zac threw the challenge flag to force a replay review to overturn the play.  The system 100% worked on those two sequences, and the were among the rare times things were done correctly last night.
Reply/Quote
(01-16-2022, 02:34 PM)jfkbengals Wrote: Those weren't officiating issues.  Multiple camera angles clearly showed the Raiders receiver catching the ball, and the fact the Raiders were starting to huddle allowed the replay official to quickly see it was a catch and notify the referee.  The second play looked like a catch and fumble live, and the Raiders raced to the line to snap the ball so it could not be reviewed.  Thus Zac threw the challenge flag to force a replay review to overturn the play.  The system 100% worked on those two sequences, and the were among the rare times things were done correctly last night.

But the refs called it as an incomplete pass. It was then ruled a catch when the NFL office in New York called it in.
I thought that unless it was inside 2 minutes of a half, there would have had to be a challenge thrown to overturn it?

Regardless, I don't give a f***. Bengals deserved that win. They played better. On to TEN/BUF.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(01-16-2022, 02:30 PM)ochocincos Wrote: When I say correct call, I meant that the whistle shouldn't have been blown in the first place, allowing the TD.

i totally agree ocho........Joey was in bounds when the ball left his hand.......any whistle after that doesnt matter..........ball is live and Tyler B makes the TD catch..........WHO DEY in the Jungle !!!!!
Reply/Quote
(01-16-2022, 02:30 PM)ochocincos Wrote: When I say correct call, I meant that the whistle shouldn't have been blown in the first place, allowing the TD.

Yeah, there's no doubt about the fact that they should not have blown it dead.  I could understand it if his foot was a fraction of an inch from being on the sideline, but the replay was clear that there was still a foot or more of green between his shoe and the sideline.
Reply/Quote
(01-16-2022, 02:36 PM)ochocincos Wrote: But the refs called it as an incomplete pass. It was then ruled a catch when the NFL office in New York called it in.
I thought that unless it was inside 2 minutes of a half, there would have had to be a challenge thrown to overturn it?

Regardless, I don't give a f***. Bengals deserved that win. They played better. On to TEN/BUF.

One of the rule tweeks this year is expanded duties to the replay official.  That is one of the things he can do is communicate that it is a catch or incomplete without stopping the game, but it has to be clear on the broadcast to do so.
Reply/Quote
(01-16-2022, 02:27 PM)ochocincos Wrote: The early whistle was blown because they thought Burrow stepped out of bounds.
Upon review, they realized he didn't step out of bounds and awarded the TD.
However, the whistle was technically blown about less than a second before the catch. The ball was in the air when it was blown.

What happens when the whistle is blown while the ball is in the air?
[Image: 1jKEzj4.png]
Formerly known as Judge on the Bengals.com message board.
Reply/Quote
I would not be surprised to see Boger retire after this season. At 66 he is already one of the oldest active officials

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
(01-16-2022, 02:45 PM)pally Wrote: I would not be surprised to see Borger retire after this season. At 66 he is already one of the oldest active officials

That ref who made that atrocious taunting call on chicago during the Steelers game just retired lol
Reply/Quote
(01-16-2022, 02:44 PM)magikod Wrote: What happens when the whistle is blown while the ball is in the air?

Play is dead.

It's not different than a returner sprinting down the sideline and they whistle because they think he stepped out, or the runner doesn't touch the ground and they blow the play dead.  The whistle has blown, so nothing after counts.  The only time it can coun't after the whistle is in the case of a fumble where there is a clear recovery after the whistle and the ruling on the field was down by contact.  A coach can challenge the runner was down, and if it is in fact determined there was a turnover and there was a clear recovery, the recovery is awarded.
Reply/Quote
The other 'play' that was a complete headscrather was the timeout given AFTER the play was completed. There was no whistle. No stoppage of play. Nothing. Chase caught the ball. Double tapped his feet and they blew a whistle. But then... timeout was given! What!?!?
To each his own... unless you belong to a political party...
Reply/Quote
(01-16-2022, 02:29 PM)ochocincos Wrote: The roughing the passer call was BS too.

This.

Everyone forgets this because of the "whistle td", but that roughing penalty was a critical call late in the 4th quarter.
Reply/Quote
(01-16-2022, 02:54 PM)EatonFan Wrote: The other 'play' that was a complete headscrather was the timeout given AFTER the play was completed.  There was no whistle.  No stoppage of play.  Nothing.  Chase caught the ball.  Double tapped his feet and they blew a whistle.  But then... timeout was given!  What!?!?

Yeah.  They got it right in the sense that the DB was CLEARLY calling for a TO before the snap, but no official had any reaction until AFTER the play was over.  We see plays around the league ALL THE TIME where they don't see the TO and the play is allowed to stand.  If they didn't whistle it dead during the play, it should've still counted.  Especially since the official in front of Chase had thrown a flag after the snap because of the 12 men on the field foul.  I have a feeling the ref was covering his ass because they allowed the ball to be snapped since the rules now say they are supposed to blow the play dead when the snap is imminent and apply the penalty at that point.
Reply/Quote
(01-16-2022, 02:56 PM)fredtoast Wrote: This.

Everyone forgets this because of the "whistle td", but that roughing penalty was a critical call late in the 4th quarter.

Right ThumbsUp

It was a complete BS call and only got the flag from Carr's acting job. But that call very,very much could have altered the outcome of the game.

Crickets from national media on that though.
Reply/Quote
(01-16-2022, 02:24 PM)magikod Wrote: I'm confused, was the bad call when Burrow was in the air and threw it for a TD, but he was out of bounds but never touched?

Or was it a different play?

That was the one.

The reason is because technically by rule once the whistle is blow the payed is dead no matter what.

The official accidently blew it while the ball was in the air negating the TD.

It's bullshit because basically people are mad the Bengals didn't get screwed because the official screwed up.

Yes technically the TD should not have counted but the whistle should never have been blown.

It's like everyone wants the a stupid loophole to effect the outcome of the game because so asshat can't do his job.
Reply/Quote
(01-16-2022, 02:49 PM)jfkbengals Wrote: Play is dead.

It's not different than a returner sprinting down the sideline and they whistle because they think he stepped out, or the runner doesn't touch the ground and they blow the play dead.  The whistle has blown, so nothing after counts.  The only time it can coun't after the whistle is in the case of a fumble where there is a clear recovery after the whistle and the ruling on the field was down by contact.  A coach can challenge the runner was down, and if it is in fact determined there was a turnover and there was a clear recovery, the recovery is awarded.

Thanks for explaining it. Refs really screwed that play up big time. 
Reply/Quote
(01-16-2022, 03:04 PM)motoarch Wrote: That was the one.

The reason is because technically by rule once the whistle is blow the payed is dead no matter what.

The official accidently blew it while the ball was in the air negating the TD.

It's bullshit because basically people are mad the Bengals didn't get screwed because the official screwed up.

Yes technically the TD should not have counted but the whistle should never have been blown.

It's like everyone wants the a stupid loophole to effect the outcome of the game because so asshat can't do his job.

Yeah on this other forum I'm on people are saying that the Bengals only won because of shitty refs, etc.

Its always  one thing or another! Screw em, I'm gonna enjoy this win and get ready for next week!

(01-16-2022, 04:37 AM)iowahwky4cincy Wrote: Could Taopu be ready by next week?

I'm hoping so we really need  him back on the D-line ASAP!  Tiger
Reply/Quote
The whistle shouldnt determine the outcome of the play in this situation, not that refs don't make mistakes when to whistle either.
Reply/Quote