Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Uniform Video
(04-20-2021, 02:52 PM)tms Wrote: I know you were asked to be a cheerleader and I don’t have anything against Chase, he's just a kid. He'll be a good pro, I'm glad he's living his dream and he finna get PAID. But this is one of the biggest hype jobs of all-time.

Go back 12 months. See what they were saying about Sewell then. Better yet, go back four months and what they were saying about both guys then. Sewell = Top 2, maybe Top 3 if there’s a run on QBs. (Remember: “We better not beat HOU/PIT if we plan to land Sewell!”) Chase = Top 10... likely WR1, but that means less than it used to seeing as there's been one Top 10 spent on a WR over the past five years (Corey Davis).  

Nary a game has been played since then. Just measurements and draft hype to the t!ts, fans ascribing value to metrics that mean nothing when games are being played. For example, I don't care how Sewell measured or what he did to prepare for his pro-day. That's a completely separate topic. All I know is that he is a massive man on the field who plays even BIGGER. Please show me where they measured "tenacity" and "GTD" (Get Things Done) on his RAS card. Because his play tells me it would've been through the roof. 

And we’re not even being fair to Chase. He’s anything but a generational talent and shouldn’t be forced to live under that scrutiny. Penei isn’t either, for that matter. Nobody is among the 2021 class imo, not even Trevor. Chase is not Megatron- it’s absurd to say that he is. I fear that we use that label just to hide the myriad of questions around him- namely his size, his reliance on physicality to avoid getting jammed at the LOS (which may not translate to the pros when up against bigger faster older more experienced men), his limited body of work, his one-dimensional route tree as the X alongside the most powerful offense in history, and the fact that we already have two fine WRs and nobody was crying for a third last year. In fact, we kicked Ross, Ericsson and AJ to the side of the road because their skills and speed were “so important” to us.

It’s one of the main reasons I’m appalled by the rumor mill these days. Nonsense is being spun around the clock. It happens every year but this is off the chain. Nobody was talking like this at the end of 2020, much less 2019. We have no memory. Sewell has been consistently perched atop the big board for over a year. It’s only now that people are trying to poke holes in his armor and revise history. And not surprisingly, the vast majority of those "people" have never played the game or worked in the game- because those who have are almost unanimously still behind Sewell, shrugging their shoulders and saying, "Don't overthink this one, Bengals..."

For someone like myself who’s been around the draft game for a long time, you know exactly what you’re seeing. It’s partly prospect fatigue but partly “something else”. Nothing to do with football. You're preaching to the choir in terms of having fun with the draft- that's always been my mantra and I'm a massive draft nerd. But this here is just bad vibes and I can't wait till it's over. Pick Chase, win the press conference and sell the new jerseys so we can go back to actually improving the team. Just my 2c.

- You know I was asked to be a cheerleader? That's news to me. By whom? I understand you disagreeing with me, but to take a shot at my integrity is weak.

- I too follow the draft religiously. As a life long Bengals fan, it's my favorite time of the year because it replenishes my hope.

- A lot of hyperbole being thrown around in your post. Sewell is NOT a massive man. Not by NFL O linemen standards. He's not big at all. Ben Cleveland? Now THAT is an huge dude. Andrew Whitworth? Huge dude at 6'7". Sewell... 6'4" with short arms for an OT. He's more guard like in proportions.

- The problem with a lot of what you wrote is that it isn't 12 months ago. And, it's not 4 months ago. A lot of information has come out since then. 4 months ago Sewell was listed at 6'6". Hell, HE STILL IS on Google. But, as more and more information comes out... we learn that he isn't. By not playing, Penei Sewell was able to become Paul Bunyan. Mythical in proportion and size. Today, it turns out he's more of a guard prospect going by measurables. The Bengals taking a G at 5 is nuts to me.

Sewell also beat up on a dumpy Pac12 while Chase lit a gasoline fire on NFL CBs and defenses in the SEC. So, I appreciate you pointing out that games haven't been played since then.... only, they have. In the NFL where guys Chase lit up were top draft picks last year and had good first years. And where O linemen got college seasons in the books, improved, and closed the gap between themselves and Sewell. No one has overtaken Chase or Sewell as the top prospect at their position. Although, Slater is drumming up some hype lately where he may go before Sewell.

We'll just have to agree to disagree. I think Penei Sewell is an awesome draft prospect, just not for the Bengals in this specific draft. I laid out why and compared him to guys in this draft class available in later rounds and why Chase is clearly more ahead of his draftmates at WR than Sewell is other O linemen. Nothing you wrote dissuades or disproves that. At least not for me.
Reply/Quote
(04-20-2021, 03:01 PM)MileHighGrowler Wrote: Oy.  Every single thread... 

I didn't start it!!!!  
Reply/Quote
(04-20-2021, 03:05 PM)tms Wrote: Yeah, I know. I'm sure your pops is a strong man too. Knees, hips... we all face the same fate. It just looks like a mistake on a guy who's in his physical prime like Joe. But that's the nature of football. What can you do. < Nah, I'll just leave that out. Don't want to ruffle any feathers. Wink 

That's the nature of football.

The scar from the screws in my ankle look like the incision was done with a chainsaw... Plus Burrow's is still pretty damn fresh. It'll fade over the years.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote