Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ogbuehi Benched
Are there any instantly-IR-ed centers we can draft in 2017 to replace him?
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(10-17-2016, 05:44 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Clint Boling is the second best OT on this team. I'd like to see him move to RT and Westerman, Winston or Fish at LG

No disrespect intended, but facepalm...

The whole point was to retool the OL building it strong from the inside, moving outward.  Anthony Collins is a good pass protector, with agile feet.  Put him at LT, and run the DE around the back.  Whit, Boling, and Zeitler (when he's on his game) are all good anchors, and drive well, when asked to do it.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(10-17-2016, 05:01 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Liked the move for once.

Og is very talented he just doesn't have it yet. Hopefully he watches some film on how he has been engaging defenders.

Winston played well fortunately.

I am for bringing back Anthony Collins, he is not a good run blocker of course but he is very good in pass protection.

How can anyone say OG is talented?  What has he done. Played one year at LT at A&M was a garbage. Was okay at guard but that was college. Unless the Bengals are participating in the Olympics soon , OG n Hunt are kinda worthless as far as football players
Reply/Quote
(10-17-2016, 07:23 PM)Socal Bengals fan Wrote: How can anyone say OG is talented?  What has he done. Played one year at LT at A&M was a garbage. Was okay at guard but that was college. Unless the Bengals are participating in the Olympics soon , OG n Hunt are kinda worthless as far as football players

Ogbuehi has talent, just not 1st round, start right off the gun talent.  He should have been allowed to fall to the 3rd or 4th round, where the expectations would have been lower, allowing him the 2 to 3 years that he needs to fully develop.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(10-17-2016, 12:28 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Perhaps Ogbuehi has just been miscast at RT for the NFL.

While he was better at RT than LT in college, his strengths and weaknesses indicate he is likely a better fit at LT for the NFL, as he has very good reflexes, speed, and athleticism to handle speed rushers. His primary weakness mentioned in multiple scouting reports was that he needed more strength to handle anchoring and getting push in the ground game. It's also mentioned that his technique could use some work.

With that said, Fisher isn't a prototypical RT either. So maybe we see a prototypical RT drafted in the 2017 draft (unfortunately).

Again the Bengals' drafting success is way over hyped. At least with this batch of dbag coaches the players selected are not doing well at all..
Reply/Quote
My biggest concern isn't that Ogubehi was benched, even though it was well deserved.

My thing is, where was Fisher? You drafted two offensive tackles back to back. Winston has gotten his reps. It's time to see what Fisher has already.

Plus, I like Fisher at RT more than Ogubehi at RT.

Actually. I like Fisher more than Ogubehi. Always have. Ogubehi was not a good pick in any way. Had one good season and then terrible the next.
Check out my YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/AndWeGiveUp

[Image: Mx7IB2.png]
Reply/Quote
(10-17-2016, 07:23 PM)Socal Bengals fan Wrote: How can anyone say OG is talented?  What has he done. Played one year at LT at A&M was a garbage. Was okay at guard but that was college. Unless the Bengals are participating in the Olympics soon , OG n Hunt are kinda worthless as far as football players

He has great athletic ability, but people forget that he has never really had an NFL training camp.  He was rehabbing last year and got hurt early and couldn't do anything this year, either.  He shouldn't be starting, by any stretch, but you can't write him off yet, either.
Reply/Quote
(10-17-2016, 06:56 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Are there any instantly-IR-ed centers we can draft in 2017 to replace him?

Bodine has to get his 6-year, $48 million extension first.
Reply/Quote
(10-17-2016, 11:58 AM)WeezyBengal Wrote: For a 40 year old vet.

Im still not 100% sure Ogbuehi was ever healthy this year, that is honestly the only explanation I can come up with for his poor play.

If not, then this is a big deal...

32.. 40... the same thing right...
Reply/Quote
(10-17-2016, 12:28 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Perhaps Ogbuehi has just been miscast at RT for the NFL.

While he was better at RT than LT in college, his strengths and weaknesses indicate he is likely a better fit at LT for the NFL, as he has very good reflexes, speed, and athleticism to handle speed rushers. His primary weakness mentioned in multiple scouting reports was that he needed more strength to handle anchoring and getting push in the ground game. It's also mentioned that his technique could use some work.

With that said, Fisher isn't a prototypical RT either. So maybe we see a prototypical RT drafted in the 2017 draft (unfortunately).

Only way I see this is if Zeitler moves on and they plug Fisher in at RG. But to my knowledge, they drafted both so they could be their starting offensive tackles in the future. You need to let your young players play. They made this bed, now they have to lay in it.
Check out my YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/AndWeGiveUp

[Image: Mx7IB2.png]
Reply/Quote
(10-17-2016, 11:01 PM)Whatever Wrote: He has great athletic ability, but people forget that he has never really had an NFL training camp.  He was rehabbing last year and got hurt early and couldn't do anything this year, either.  He shouldn't be starting, by any stretch, but you can't write him off yet, either.

^ this... dude is a rookie with no off season work, almost exactly what I expected out of him. 
Reply/Quote
(10-18-2016, 04:20 AM)wolfkaosaun Wrote: Only way I see this is if Zeitler moves on and they plug Fisher in at RG. But to my knowledge, they drafted both so they could be their starting offensive tackles in the future. You need to let your young players play. They made this bed, now they have to lay in it.

Disagree.  I've seen teams plug random UDFA or late round guys in, shuffle their lines around, do all sorts of crazy things, and sometimes it works.  Sometimes the line still looks bad, but that is the risk that you should probably take if your line looks subpar.
Reply/Quote
They should have re signed Andre. Who knew Andre Smith and Reggie Nelson were the keys to our recent success. I didn't like Og when we drafted him. These small athletic spread tackles dont seem to work out often. We need a big drive blocker over there.
Reply/Quote

How can anyone say what you just said?

He is very talented evidence being he would of been a top 10 1st round pick if not for the injury.

Rare athleticism for a guy that big.

Plus Hunt has looked pretty good this year, sounds like you already gave up on both of these guys.
Reply/Quote
(10-17-2016, 10:50 PM)wolfkaosaun Wrote: My biggest concern isn't that Ogubehi was benched, even though it was well deserved.

My thing is, where was Fisher? You drafted two offensive tackles back to back. Winston has gotten his reps. It's time to see what Fisher has already.

Plus, I like Fisher at RT more than Ogubehi at RT.

Actually. I like Fisher more than Ogubehi. Always have. Ogubehi was not a good pick in any way. Had one good season and then terrible the next.

Keep in mind that Fisher was going to be the pick if Ced was gone in 2015. The team has said that's how much they loved Fisher.

I'd give him a shot at RT, but something is clearly up with him. You have to wonder if his injury from the preseason never fully healed. Something I'm noticing is that if our RT isn't some big mauler, they play like crap. Willie was amazing to watch, Andrew actually looked good in 2007 before turning his brain off in 2008. Andre had 2-3 good years in there as well. However, Collins struggled when he was playing 09. Roland may have been 325, but he was so tall and lanky that he didn't look like a bruiser. Now we get an athletic and finesse RT in there and he's just struggling.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
The problem with Fisher is he can't settle into one position. He has played left tackle, right tackle, fullback, tight end, and has practiced at both guard and center. He's had a lot thrown at him.
Reply/Quote
Not sure if it's been mentioned, but in a cincinnati.com article about the benching, there were numerous quotes from o-linemen talking about how they struggled early. One quote from Boling was pretty interesting. He mentioned that he struggled one year and pretty much had to rough his way through the whole season. Then Paul Alexander was able to point out some things that helped him greatly after the season ended. Boling said that Alexander can't really coach guys up while the season is going.

I would be interested to know why. Seems like it'd be easy to coach a guy up and make a couple tweaks to his technique during the season, instead of letting him continually get killed through the year.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(10-18-2016, 05:14 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Not sure if it's been mentioned, but in a cincinnati.com article about the benching, there were numerous quotes from o-linemen talking about how they struggled early. One quote from Boling was pretty interesting. He mentioned that he struggled one year and pretty much had to rough his way through the whole season. Then Paul Alexander was able to point out some things that helped him greatly after the season ended. Boling said that Alexander can't really coach guys up while the season is going.

I would be interested to know why. Seems like it'd be easy to coach a guy up and make a couple tweaks to his technique during the season, instead of letting him continually get killed through the year.

WTH

Guess he's too busy playing Piano to do his job 
Reply/Quote
(10-18-2016, 05:14 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Not sure if it's been mentioned, but in a cincinnati.com article about the benching, there were numerous quotes from o-linemen talking about how they struggled early. One quote from Boling was pretty interesting. He mentioned that he struggled one year and pretty much had to rough his way through the whole season. Then Paul Alexander was able to point out some things that helped him greatly after the season ended. Boling said that Alexander can't really coach guys up while the season is going.

That's a good question and just something I assumed happened throughout the season. Maybe not after every game, but at least every couple looking through what a guy is doing that's working and what he's doing that's not. If games are the best time to see that info, considering how few games you get in a season, it seems like it would be a nearly constant process.
Reply/Quote

Hard to coach with your mouth full the entire season:

[Image: fried-turkeydude.jpg]
Reply/Quote