Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ogbuehi Benched
(10-20-2016, 10:02 AM)samhain Wrote: IIRC, Ogbuehi sucked at OT but was a pretty good guard for a couple of seasons when they had Joeckel and Matthews ahead of him at the tackle spots.  Perhaps if he doesn't get his shit together a RT he team could salvage some value by moving him inside if Z leaves.

I'm skeptical about this idea.  If you're too weak to play tackle but you have great length, you could try being a blocking tight end, but not a guard.
“I’m Pacman Jones n****, what the [expletive] I got on me?”
Reply/Quote
I wish Willie Anderson would have notified someone at training camp that Ogbuehi sucks:
http://www.cincyjungle.com/2016/7/30/12312710/willie-anderson-praises-paul-alexander-lays-out-lofty-expectations
“I’m Pacman Jones n****, what the [expletive] I got on me?”
Reply/Quote
(10-20-2016, 02:19 PM)sonofstat Wrote: The guy has been our OL coach for 20+ years. I'm sure that on any evaluation of OL he has to be the biggest voice in the room. He's not some assistant they've just hired.

Also look again at the Og comments after they draft him. Alexander was positively drooling over him...he clearly loved him and to be fair to him he must have lobbied hard to get him . I don't knock him for that , but I do wonder if he was trying to be a bit clever and got infatuated.  

Also it was clear he was infatuated with Fisher too..he ran his drills at Oregon and even Peter King on SI projected him to the Bengals.

As for Bodine - again I cannot believe we trade up unless Alexander is banging the table hard for him...when have we ever traded up recently in drafts?   Mike Brown / Duke/ Marvin don't do that unless Alexander is all-in

Where I do agree the 'GM by committee' should play a role is in playing devil's advocate - tempering the position coach if they think they are over-reaching for the player, or compromising value/ picks in other need areas.

PAUL ALEXANDER

Offensive line coach
What do you like about your new guy (Ced) ?
    “I frickin’ love him. Let me tell you, there’s no way we have a chance at this guy if he doesn’t get hurt. He’s a top-of-the-draft player. There’s no question that this guy has rare feet and athleticism that you see in the very best offensive linemen in the league.”
Some critics said he plays high or has a high pad level at times. Did you see any of that?
    “I have no (reservations). Zero. Ask as many questions as you want. I’ve got zero reservations on this guy.”
Is he the best pass protector in the draft?
    “Oh yeah. Easily.”

The trade up for Bodine was actually Marvin. From what I've read, Marvin tends to write down players that he really wants on the Bengals. Whit was one of them, but he also wrote the same thing about Bodine. After round 3 of 2014, Marvin had Duke explore a trade option just in case. When the Pats took Stork, Duke called to see if the Seahawks were still on board with the trade.

We know what happened from there.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
(10-18-2016, 06:20 PM)BoomerFan Wrote:  And of course, we wouldn't have needed another WR if we had just made the deal too sweat for Marvin Jones to say no. 

Spend money and we could've been a better team this year. Instead we're worse. So very, very frustrating. 

Marvin Jones wanted to be a #1 WR.  It wasn't about the money.

Bengals have spent OVER the league cap for the last two years (thanks to rollover money).  They are not being that cheap.
Reply/Quote
(10-19-2016, 09:05 PM)wolfkaosaun Wrote: Well the thing with Ogubehi is that he was never really that good. He had one really good season at Texas A&M. But started to fall off towards the end of the year. His final season/before injury he was pretty dreadful. And still is. He is a good mover and can get in the way, but he disengages blocks too easily and quickly. He also doesn't anchor and just tries to push faster defenders off the edge rather than get in their way and block. He has poor technique and outside of quick feet and being athletic there's not much to his game tape.

I'm also wondering about Fisher's injury. I would actually prefer him over Ogubehi in every facet besides quickness. Keep Fisher at RT and I think he'll have less growing pains and actually be more of a stable player.

Curiously I wonder how bare the draft-pantry was when they took O-gu-be-hi? Surely they knew how poorly his career had been at Texas. In all seriousness I hope he blossoms into a really good NFL tackle. But unless he hires an off-season one-on-one coach he probably won't.
Reply/Quote
If Ogbuehi sucked so bad in college then why did all the draft experts have him ranked so high?
Reply/Quote
(10-20-2016, 05:48 PM)fredtoast Wrote: If Ogbuehi sucked so bad in college then why did all the draft experts have him ranked so high?

Because even the "experts" whiff on half of the players, every year.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(10-20-2016, 05:42 PM)Derrick Wrote: Surely they knew how poorly his career had been at Texas. 

He did not play for Texas.

And he was a First Team All American in 2014.
Reply/Quote
(10-20-2016, 02:52 PM)Wyche Wrote: Alexander is also assistant HC, you have to remember that aspect might be at play here....

And that begs the question why doesn't it??  Why was that necessary coming out of the chute for Lewis?
  • Quality OL coach on the cusp of moving?
  • Mike Brown prerogative?
  • Ego?...
Reply/Quote
I still don't get this organization. Og have everything you want for a LT, why delay his LT development by making him learn RT, then LT again in a year or two? Get Fischer going at RT and let him learn his position.
Reply/Quote
He sucked ball sack his senior year playing left tackle. Before the season started he was highly ranked by some and not all. Before each season they always wiff on the drart rannkings every year. Anyways he had a shitty year then tore acl then th3 Bengals drafted him in the first round based on potential because he looked great in shorts and could play a mean game of horse. As far as football skills , he looks soft like poop, looks to have zero instincts and appears as strong as a kicker. Hes as bad as an offensive lineman as a seen wearing Bengals uniform. Im just hoping we dont waste a season just to get this guys feet wet.
Reply/Quote
(10-20-2016, 06:02 PM)fredtoast Wrote: He did not play for Texas.

And he was a First Team All American in 2014.

All-American at Texas A&M, that same program that gave the NFL Johnny Football.  You remember, the same program that didn't have a "playbook", they just ran spread and the play was "check with me" by the QB... 

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(10-20-2016, 07:07 PM)3wt Wrote: And that begs the question why doesn't it??  Why was that necessary coming out of the chute for Lewis?
  • Ego?...

Obviously guessing here, but I'd say that Paul was made "assistant HC" because Marv was a first time HC. Probably an honorary title at this point. I'm sure being a Mike Brown favorite factored into it too, just as it's been a key factor on why a guy that steadily produces mediocre line play is never on the hot seat.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(10-18-2016, 05:14 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Not sure if it's been mentioned, but in a cincinnati.com article about the benching, there were numerous quotes from o-linemen talking about how they struggled early. One quote from Boling was pretty interesting. He mentioned that he struggled one year and pretty much had to rough his way through the whole season. Then Paul Alexander was able to point out some things that helped him greatly after the season ended. Boling said that Alexander can't really coach guys up while the season is going.

I would be interested to know why. Seems like it'd be easy to coach a guy up and make a couple tweaks to his technique during the season, instead of letting him continually get killed through the year.

Nah, would cut to much into Paul and Mike taking their wives to bingo, knitting class, and friends and family round the piano.  Ninja
Reply/Quote
(10-20-2016, 05:48 PM)fredtoast Wrote: If Ogbuehi sucked so bad in college then why did all the draft experts have him ranked so high?

I dunno....they're the same experts that ranked Clint Boling so high, remember? Mellow

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(10-21-2016, 10:09 AM)Wyche Wrote: I dunno....they're the same experts that ranked Clint Boling so high, remember? Mellow

No one ever voted Boling to any All American teams.
Reply/Quote
(10-20-2016, 07:07 PM)3wt Wrote: And that begs the question why doesn't it??  Why was that necessary coming out of the chute for Lewis?
  • Ego?...

I don't think that's ever been a threat. Smirk

(10-20-2016, 09:52 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Obviously guessing here, but I'd say that Paul was made "assistant HC" because Marv was a first time HC. Probably an honorary title at this point. I'm sure being a Mike Brown favorite factored into it too, just as it's been a key factor on why a guy that steadily produces mediocre line play is never on the hot seat.

Might be Shake.....but my biggest thing was and is, why do you have ANYONE leftover from a staff that produced the 2nd worst decade in all of professional sports (thanks Detroit Lions)?  People talk about a lack of accountability around this organization?  Look no further.....

Reply/Quote
(10-21-2016, 10:15 AM)Wyche Wrote: I don't think that's ever been a threat. Smirk

Might be Shake.....but my biggest thing was and is, why do you have ANYONE leftover from a staff that produced the 2nd worst decade in all of professional sports (thanks Detroit Lions)?  People talk about a lack of accountability around this organization?  Look no further.....

Yeah, look at how stupid the Steelers were to hire Dick LeBeau as DC.

Hate is more important than logic, right Wyche?
Reply/Quote
(10-21-2016, 10:18 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Yeah, look at how stupid the Steelers were to hire Dick LeBeau as DC.

Hate is more important than logic, right Wyche?

Why were they stupid to hire him as a DC?  He was DC of the '88 Super Bowl team, right?  They didn't hire him for HC, where he was an obvious failure.  Your "logic" is often hard to follow.

Reply/Quote
(10-21-2016, 10:12 AM)fredtoast Wrote: No one ever voted Boling to any All American teams.

"Boling finished his career with 49 career starts. As a senior in 2010 he was named an All-American by Pro Football Weekly"

Clapping Rolleyes

He was also All SEC.

Reply/Quote