Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Oh For The Love Of God, Get This Right Mike!
(12-31-2018, 06:57 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: I can buy that.

By too loyal...you see most teams fire a coach after 3-4 years of no playoff wins. Some coaches get 1 year.

Marvin did atleast make us competitive. But 0-7 in the playoffs is just insane. We should have won 1 by accident.

Yeah, no doubt the playoff losses hurt ML.

But, 2 losses were with a back up QB, one loss was when our franchise QB Palmer went out on the 2nd offensive play of the game.  I can think of one playoff game we were favored to win, the Chargers at home. We lost 2 at Houston who was much better than us.

Point being, we all need some luck too and come playoff time, ML was unlucky. Almost 50% of his playoff appearances, he played with a back up QB.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(12-31-2018, 07:04 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: Yeah, no doubt the playoff losses hurt ML.

But, 2 losses were with a back up QB, one loss was when our franchise QB Palmer went out on the 2nd offensive play of the game.  I can think of one playoff game we were favored to win, the Chargers at home. We lost 2 at Houston who was much better than us.

Point being, we all need some luck too and come playoff time, ML was unlucky. Almost 50% of his playoff appearances, he played with a back up QB.

And the McCarron one...the Steelers were without Bell...and we had the lead late and lost due to unprecedented lack of discipline.

And the SD loss, we were healthy...we beat SD in SD a few weeks before and SD limped into the playoffs and beat us.

Those 2 were ones we should have won. There was no excuse for losing to SD.

You can slice and dice 0-7 in the playoffs and put perfume on it...but it's still bad.

Then there is the ownage the Steelers have over us. No really way to spin that.

And the primetime woes. The playoff failures are just a continuation of the primetime woes.
Reply/Quote
(12-31-2018, 06:02 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Sorry, I just can't get on board with that line of thinking.  Looking at this logically, Hue Jackson chose to jump ship and go coach a division rival, when it was said that he had already been contingently offered the Bengals HC position, upon Marvin's retirement.  Now, Mike Brown has shown to be stubborn and hard headed indeed, but the one quality that he seems to value above all others is loyalty.  If anyone thinks that Mike Brown is just itching to hand Hue Jackson the keys to the castle, after he chose to jump ship to a rival, then you might not have as much insight into this organization as you might think.

Hue Jackson is Marvin Lewis' friend, not Mike Brown's friend.  I'd almost be willing to bet my entire next year's pay, that Bringing in Hue Jackson, after he was canned by the Browns was completely Marvin's idea.  And, it might have been a part of what ultimately led to Mike and Marvin parting ways today.  When the cocky, rookie QB of your in-State rival is trolling your bench up and down the sideline because you brought the loser that jumped ship right on back into the fold, it's just not a good look.

God I hope you’re right.
Reply/Quote
(12-31-2018, 06:30 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Well, I went to the gym, about an hour or so after the news broke, this morning.  I do some of my best thinking when I'm training, and alone with my thoughts.

It shows, it shows.

Loving us interviewing Zac Taylor and Waldren, McDaniels isn't a terrible thought i just don't think he is HC material
from what he has shown. But still, checking the boxes with young innovative coaches is exactly what we needed.
Reply/Quote
(12-31-2018, 08:07 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: It shows, it shows.

Loving us interviewing Zac Taylor and Waldren, McDaniels isn't a terrible thought i just don't think he is HC material
from what he has shown. But still, checking the boxes with young innovative coaches is exactly what we needed.

Yeah, giving Hue and the other internal guys interviews was just a courtesy.  Helps them to keep their interviewing skills current, and shows that the team is willing to look at internal candidates.  But yeah, I'm pretty excited about the growing list of younger, up and coming coaches that the team is requesting interviews with.

If Mike Brown has a strong desire to get a Lombardi Trophy before his days are done, he's definitely going about setting up the interview list the right way. 

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Criminy. What's next, a GM? Practice bubble?
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(12-31-2018, 06:02 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Sorry, I just can't get on board with that line of thinking.  Looking at this logically, Hue Jackson chose to jump ship and go coach a division rival, when it was said that he had already been contingently offered the Bengals HC position, upon Marvin's retirement.  Now, Mike Brown has shown to be stubborn and hard headed indeed, but the one quality that he seems to value above all others is loyalty.  If anyone thinks that Mike Brown is just itching to hand Hue Jackson the keys to the castle, after he chose to jump ship to a rival, then you might not have as much insight into this organization as you might think.

Hue Jackson is Marvin Lewis' friend, not Mike Brown's friend.  I'd almost be willing to bet my entire next year's pay, that Bringing in Hue Jackson, after he was canned by the Browns was completely Marvin's idea.  And, it might have been a part of what ultimately led to Mike and Marvin parting ways today.  When the cocky, rookie QB of your in-State rival is trolling your bench up and down the sideline because you brought the loser that jumped ship right on back into the fold, it's just not a good look.

You might be onto something there Sunset. I really hope you are anyways !
Reply/Quote
(12-31-2018, 08:18 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: You might be onto something there Sunset. I really hope you are anyways !

From what I've seen/read so far, I feel like I'm on the right track.  Looking like the internal interviews are more of a courtesy than anything else.  The growing list of interview requests for up and coming younger, offensive minded coaches tells me that they are looking to make a complete change of direction.  No formerly associated folk on that list.  The real test will be in weather the front office is willing to adapt a modern management philosophy, in order to land one of those future coaching greats.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(12-31-2018, 03:49 PM)bengals67 Wrote: This team is not a quality roster right now and is behind Steelers, Ravens and Browns. The current roster is average at best even with no injuries.  The Bengals' roster will remain behind the three division opponents next year regardless of draft and traditional third tier free agent or two. 

If they hire an "internal" guy with no other changes, they will lose twice to the Steelers next year, won't make playoffs and lose most of  their fan base forever.

Doing the safe thing means implosion next year and poor teams for the following 4 to 5 years. It won't be pretty at the end when taxpayers refuse to build a new stadium and Bengals follow the Art Rooney model and take off for $$$ greener pastures.

This is a make or break decision for the franchise and its future in Cincinnati.
Agreed. They need a complete staff overhaul.  
Reply/Quote

This didn't occur to me but you may be right.  
Reply/Quote
(12-31-2018, 04:54 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Hey man, even Marv wasn't a lazy hire, just quit crying and celebrate brother.

No need to hurry this hire, take our time and evaluate the best guys out there.

Ok lets look at Mikes history. Shula..well nothing needs to be said about that. Bruce Coslet hired as HC after Shula resigns. Lazy. After Coslet resigns guess what Mike does? Yup hires LeBeau as HC. Then after two lazy moves he puts some effort in and hires Marvin who took so much wind out of him he waits 16 years to fire him.

Is it so far fetched he would be lazy with replacing Lewis? Im just reading what the news is saying and not thinking its so ridiculous of a theory.

That being said Im elated Lewis is gone, Im just hoping Brown makes the most of this and puts the best person in a position for our team to succeed, not make another comfortable move.
Reply/Quote
(12-31-2018, 09:34 PM)GodFather Wrote: Ok lets look at Mikes history. Shula..well nothing needs to be said about that. Bruce Coslet hired as HC after Shula resigns. Lazy. After Coslet resigns guess what Mike does? Yup hires LeBeau as HC. Then after two lazy moves he puts some effort in and hires Marvin who took so much wind out of him he waits 16 years to fire him.

Is it so far fetched he would be lazy with replacing Lewis? Im just reading what the news is saying and not thinking its so ridiculous of a theory.

That being said Im elated Lewis is gone, Im just hoping Brown makes the most of this and puts the best person in a position for our team to succeed, not make another comfortable move.

Cannot argue with you at all here man. Be happy, just be happy.

Happy New Year GodFather, i didn't think we would move on from Marv this year. Actually blew my mind.

To be interviewing a young, innovative coach like Zac Taylor just is making me grin. Pay this guy.

Better than i expected, similar to Pollack over PA but cannot count our eggs yet of course.
Reply/Quote
(12-31-2018, 10:18 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Cannot argue with you at all here man. Be happy, just be happy.

Happy New Year GodFather, i didn't think we would move on from Marv this year. Actually blew my mind.

To be interviewing a young, innovative coach like Zac Taylor just is making me grin. Pay this guy.

Better than i expected, similar to Pollack over PA but cannot count our eggs yet of course.

If you would have told me at 7 AM this morning Marvin would be fired before noon I would have said yeah right. And pigs are gonna fly.
Reply/Quote
(12-31-2018, 10:35 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: If you would have told me at 7 AM this morning Marvin would be fired before noon I would have said yeah right. And pigs are gonna fly.

We are riding the same pig plane lmao! Hilarious
Reply/Quote
(12-31-2018, 10:18 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Cannot argue with you at all here man. Be happy, just be happy.

With 8 coaching vacancies, they had better not drag their feet too long.
Reply/Quote
(12-31-2018, 10:48 PM)Beaker Wrote: With 8 coaching vacancies, they had better not drag their feet too long.

Yep. The Rams guys are going to be hot commodities...and if one of them leaves they may promote the other to keep him.

I'd like to see us bring in a couple more hot external candidates.

I don't really see McDaniels as a viable candidate that would actually come here.
Reply/Quote

I am happy buddy, excited to see what happens next year and cant wait! Happy New Year my friend to you and your family! 

It will be very exciting next year to see what comes out of the locker room and Im sure this board will be rocking with anticipation!
Reply/Quote
I think it's a good sign that they seem to be targeting young, offensive coaches.

The Bengals have a way of pushing us to the brink of not caring...then pull us back in.
Reply/Quote
(01-01-2019, 01:12 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: I think it's a good sign that they seem to be targeting young, offensive coaches.

The Bengals have a way of pushing us to the brink of not caring...then pull us back in.
Gee, where have I heard that before?
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(12-31-2018, 06:39 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: I would like the search to include hot college prospects for the HC vacant position for the Bengals.

1-Pat Fitzgerald
2-Jim Harbaugh
3-Riley
4-Dabo Swinney

Current NFL Coaches
1-Zac Taylor (QB coach for Rams)
2-Vic Fangio (Bears DC)
3-Eric Bieniemy (OC Kansas)

I think they should draft Haskins if he is there and let him sit a year behind Dalton.

I could see Vance J as DC and Hue as OC.  Don't want it but I could see it.
I really like Fangio of the Bears
Reply/Quote