Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.67 Average
Ohio approves recreational marijuana
They are trying to neuter Issue 2 at the statehouse.
They are trying to remove the home grow aspect (increasing sales and tax revenue), lower THC content (forcing more sales to reach higher THC levels), increasing the tax percentage by 5% (I believe), and forbidding smoking in public (which I don't have a problem with).

Regardless of the shenanigans, my wife has studied and prepared for the field. She is now a Master of Cannabis with the following certifications.

Master of Cannabis Certificate
Cannabis Business Pro Certificate
Indoor Marijuana Growing Pro Certificate
Outdoor Marijuana Growing Pro Certificate
Cannabis Cooking Pro Certificate
Cannabis Extraction Pro Certificate
Cannabis Dispensary Pro Certificate
Medical Marijuana Pro
Cannabis Budtender Certificate
Marijuana 101 Certificate

Sent from my SM-S515DL using Tapatalk
Reply/Quote
(12-05-2023, 08:53 PM)Rotobeast Wrote: They are trying to neuter Issue 2 at the statehouse.
They are trying to remove the home grow aspect (increasing sales and tax revenue), lower THC content (forcing more sales to reach higher THC levels), increasing the tax percentage by 5% (I believe), and forbidding smoking in public (which I don't have a problem with).

Regardless of the shenanigans, my wife has studied and prepared for the field. She is now a Master of Cannabis with the following certifications.

Master of Cannabis Certificate
Cannabis Business Pro Certificate
Indoor Marijuana Growing Pro Certificate
Outdoor Marijuana Growing Pro Certificate
Cannabis Cooking Pro Certificate
Cannabis Extraction Pro Certificate
Cannabis Dispensary Pro Certificate
Medical Marijuana Pro
Cannabis Budtender Certificate
Marijuana 101 Certificate

Which party is it leading the charge trying to take away what Ohio voters just voted for last month?
Reply/Quote
(12-05-2023, 09:48 PM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: Which party is it leading the charge trying to take away what Ohio voters just voted for last month?
I'm sure you know that answer.
The same that rebuked redistricting.
The party I'm currently a part of, yet I am shaking my head at.

Reply/Quote
(12-05-2023, 09:56 PM)Rotobeast Wrote: I'm sure you know that answer.
The same that rebuked redistricting.
The party I'm currently a part of, yet I am shaking my head at.

That wouldn’t be the party whose former house speaker is now in jail for 20 years? The same party that just endorsed the guy who tried to over throw the American government in 2020? The same party who now has a governor with possible links to the same crime that has the former party leader in prison for 20 years?

Yea.
Just had to prod you on that.
Because I have no idea how anyone who pays attention to politics can back this stuff.

Unless you hate democracy, then I guess I could understand.
Reply/Quote
(12-05-2023, 10:15 PM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: That wouldn’t be the party whose former house speaker is now in jail for 20 years? The same party that just endorsed the guy who tried to over throw the American government in 2020? The same party who now has a governor with possible links to the same crime that has the former party leader in prison for 20 years?

Yea.
Just had to prod you on that.
Because I have no idea how anyone who pays attention to politics can back this stuff.

Unless you hate democracy, then I guess I could understand.

Did you know I ran against that house speaker guy (as a Libertarian) who is now in jail for 20 years ?
The Licking County BOE was blocking anyone from running against him. I worked with the Secretary of State's office to remedy that, and 4 write-in candidates ran to raise awareness about LH and HB6.

I also planted "Repeal HB6" signs around the state.

Oh, I'm not a Trump guy. I voted Gary Johnson in 2016 and for my friend Jo Jorgensen in 2020.

I became a Republican after Ohio ceased to recognize the Libertarian Party as a minor party in 2020.

Sometimes, it seems like you can only change the machine from the inside.
[Image: 519e83e527afbe9bc3f642eb6115f6e5.jpg]

Reply/Quote
(12-06-2023, 12:19 AM)Rotobeast Wrote: Sometimes, it seems like you can only change the machine from the inside.

And before you say that cannot happen...
I helped convince my local Republican Party to endorse the Democratic candidate for Law Director over a scumbag Republican candidate this past election.
It's possible.

Reply/Quote
Good stuff. Good on you. I see what you mean doing it from the inside. And apparently if Perry county is where you are you picked the right party to have the right letter next to your name.

I had to get to looking after seeing that Householder sign there in that pic you posted. Good to know they went ahead and elected the son Derek to county commissioner months after his father Larry was arrested for racketeering and bribery. lol wow. I mean how could you?

Oh your Dad was just arrested a few months prior for being a crooked politician and screwing over the whole state to enrich himself? Well hell, let’s get you a job in government too son. I saw your LinkedIn profile. Speedway and GameStop customer service rep. Sounds like you’re well qualified for the county commissioner job. Ffs.

And the potentially crooked governor has a son on the state Supreme Court...

So yea. I can see it. If you’re getting in to state politics because of how screwed up they are and you want to fix them. That’s good.
Reply/Quote
(12-06-2023, 12:19 AM)Rotobeast Wrote: Oh, I'm not a Trump guy. I voted Gary Johnson in 2016 and for my friend Jo Jorgensen in 2020.

I became a Republican after Ohio ceased to recognize the Libertarian Party as a minor party in 2020.

You're friends with Jo Jorgensen?  Slick!

I'm in PA and my wife and I both had to switch to democrats to vote for local school board stuff.  What a racket.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(12-06-2023, 11:44 AM)Nately120 Wrote: You're friends with Jo Jorgensen?  Slick!

I'm in PA and my wife and I both had to switch to democrats to vote for local school board stuff.  What a racket.
Not good friends, mind you.
Just a couple back and forth conversations on hockey and bourbon. We're friends on Facebook (big whoop...lol). I was supposed to have dinner with her and her husband when she was in Columbus (Oct. 2020), but I got sick and had to cancel.

Reply/Quote
Guess they didn't actually fully pass any changes in time, so at least for now it is as originally proposed.

The Senate did pass a bill last night, though, to send to the House (who won't vote on it until next week) and while changed is vastly different from the proposed neutering they were thinking about before....

-They reduced the number of plants you can grow in a household (was 6 plants per adult in household, max of 12 plants, now just a flat 6 plant maximum).
-Would approve current medical dispensaries for immediate commercial sale approval (much better than the original multiple months they were allowed to set up recreational sales permits).
-Provides a system to expunge past convictions of marijuana possession on request.
-Increases the sales tax on it from 10% to 15%.
(I have also seen conflicting reports that it either makes the THC limit 1/2 of the medical limit, or it doesn't change it from the proposed limits at all.)

Interesting thing is the House version of the bill the only thing they wanted to change was to add a 10% tax to wholesalers. So that should be interesting to see what the house thinks of the Senate's version.

It's also just weird as hell that there are things that are now legal as of today that might not be legal a week from now if they decide it isn't anymore. Also you can own and use, but currently can't buy.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
The state of Illinois passed legalization for recreational marijuana in May 2019, which was three months before I moved here. The first dispensaries opened in January, 2020. In the first couple of years, 25% tax rates were "built into" the price for edibles or whatever the consumer wanted to buy. Nowadays, they are charging taxes on the back end, too. Either way, the state must be making fat stacks off of it and Ohio will, too.

Mostly, I would take edibles to help me sleep or as an alternative to a couple of drinks to help me wind down. The dispensary has a slick website with lots of product ratings, which always helped me know which ones to buy. Soon, other markets opened up including one just a couple of blocks from my apartment. They had edibles in smaller packages for lower prices, but they did not have the ratings and feedback on them, and the guy in the store couldn't even tell me the percentages of THC in them.

Which turned out to be a bad thing because I ended up taking way more of a crystal clear gummy bear edible than I should have (the whole bear) and wound up in scary brain fog for a day. A friendly and helpful nurse on the "ask-a-nurse" line for my health insurance just said to ride it out, try to go to sleep or whatever. Overall, legalization is a good thing. Something few people mention is that widespread legalization will legitimize widespread cultivation of the wonder plant, hemp. It can be used in everything from biodegradable plastics to building materials, and the hemp plant needs little fertilizer or insecticide and can grow in all 50 states.
Reply/Quote
So do they have field sobriety testing for all the other legal drugs that can mess you up and make you a danger to others while driving?

I just feel like that is one issue Dewine will really push for, and as much as I can smell it coming out of other cars while driving on the road, I don’t see it as a very big problem.

Lot of terrible drivers in Cincinnati. And most of the time I’d wager they aren’t even high.
Reply/Quote
(12-08-2023, 02:01 AM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: So do they have field sobriety testing for all the other legal drugs that can mess you up and make you a danger to others while driving?

I just feel like that is one issue Dewine will really push for, and as much as I can smell it coming out of other cars while driving on the road, I don’t see it as a very big problem.

Lot of terrible drivers in Cincinnati. And most of the time I’d wager they aren’t even high.

Distracted driving and oppositional defiant driving are as much problems as impaired driving, but that's a whole other issue.  As I understand from a friend who keeps up with the marijuana news, the ability to on the spot test for level of marijuana currently in a person's system is there, it's just a matter of devising a way to make it cost efficient for mass use. 
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(12-08-2023, 08:59 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Distracted driving and oppositional defiant driving are as much problems as impaired driving, but that's a whole other issue.  As I understand from a friend who keeps up with the marijuana news, the ability to on the spot test for level of marijuana currently in a person's system is there, it's just a matter of devising a way to make it cost efficient for mass use. 

Phones are far more of a danger than weed.  Nobody wants to make a big deal about it, because so many people are guilty of it, but the evolution of the mobile phone and our addictions to it have made driving infinitely more dangerous.
Reply/Quote
(12-08-2023, 10:19 PM)samhain Wrote: Phones are far more of a danger than weed.  Nobody wants to make a big deal about it, because so many people are guilty of it, but the evolution of the mobile phone and our addictions to it have made driving infinitely more dangerous.

Hell, walking on the side walk too.
Reply/Quote