Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 2.33 Average
Okay is everyone done crying and moaning?
Bitching and cheering is the core of the Gameday thread. The last 3 seasons bitching has dominated. What's really cool is that whatever direction if goes, it goes in unison. ha!
Reply/Quote
(07-01-2019, 11:02 PM)Nately120 Wrote: I'm certainly interested in seeing what he can do and I'm very glad we finally had a coaching shake-up.  With that being said, I can also admit that getting a QB coach to be HC while other teams are going for offensive-minded OC's to be HC is sort of like waking up on Christmas morning and finding a Tubro Grafix-16 when everyone else got a Sega Genesis or a Super Nintendo.  Hey, maybe it's just as good, and hey maybe it'll even be better than those systems with the fancier resumes.

As for the crying and moaning, as I pointed out we may as well cool it now because if the o-line looks bad in 2019 and our offense isn't awesome in spite of it, we are going to be right back to not being able to fairly judge ZT and his system or Dalton because "Even Tom Brady wouldn't be able to succeed with this line!"

Hey... If that's what happens, we can always call Taylor's second season as HC his rookie campaign. Outside of Sample, he didn't have his guys.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(07-02-2019, 12:02 AM)Bengalitis Wrote: Bitching and cheering is the core of the Gameday thread.   The last 3 seasons bitching has dominated. What's really cool is that whatever direction if goes, it goes in unison. ha!

Exactly! 
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(07-01-2019, 09:35 PM)OSUfan Wrote: Great post and great idea...time to move on. It is what it is and no amount of griping will change it.

Ironically, no amount of whining about the whining will change the amount of whining. It is what it is. Time to move on.

Quote:Looks like we get an immediate insight into how this staff will handle adversity.

Gee, I thought they would probably play an injured player's back up just like every other coach. Ever.

Do you think these coaches have a different plan than that?
Reply/Quote
(07-02-2019, 12:02 AM)Bengalitis Wrote: Bitching and cheering is the core of the Gameday thread. The last 3 seasons bitching has dominated. What's really cool is that whatever direction if goes, it goes in unison. ha!

No we haven’t all been sitting around crying
Reply/Quote
(07-01-2019, 08:58 PM)t3r3e3 Wrote: U
And the Bengals stand to suck at at least two of those three positions.  This is looking like a 50-60+ sack season.  If the team plays from behind a bunch it’s going to get ugly.

LG should be the most solid, as one of Boling, Jerry, or Westerman should cover that spot.
RG should be a near-guaranteed upgrade from last year.
If Price can live up to his draft stock, C will be solidified.
If Glenn can return to his Buffalo form, LT will be solid.
The only real truly glaring concern is RT. With that said, if the new scheme helps mask Hart's weaknesses, even that might not end up being a poor spot.

I realize that there are multiple "if"s in there, but that's the truth. Certain players have to get to a certain level (again) in order for the OL to be solid again.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(07-02-2019, 09:25 AM)BonnieBengal Wrote: No we haven’t all been sitting around crying

Weren't they thinking of keeping Marvin or making Hue the HC until the fan reaction was so amazingly negative they thought better of it?

I guess we will never know for sure, but I wouldn't underestimate the power of a consumer base to tell the business when their product is disappointing. 
Reply/Quote
(07-02-2019, 09:34 AM)ochocincos Wrote: LG should be the most solid, as one of Boling, Jerry, or Westerman should cover that spot.
The only real truly glaring concern is RT. With that said, if the new scheme helps mask Hart's weaknesses, even that might not end up being a poor spot.

I realize that there are multiple "if"s in there, but that's the truth. Certain players have to get to a certain level (again) in order for the OL to be solid again.

I believe this is something many overlook. 

We're used to seeing our Oline look bad, mostly, with the old coaches, old play calling, old scheme. Who knows what it's gonna look like under new circumstances ? 

I'm not saying it's going to morph into an All World line. However it may become much better with plays and game plans designed to mask its deficiencies, or at least appear so.
Reply/Quote
I see a lot of "he's a QB coach, and didn't do well at UC".....but people keep ignoring the fact that the last HC to lead us to a SB was a QB coach, that didn't do so hot at IU. Mellow

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(07-02-2019, 09:46 AM)bengalfan74 Wrote: I believe this is something many overlook. 

We're used to seeing our Oline look bad, mostly, with the old coaches, old play calling, old scheme. Who knows what it's gonna look like under new circumstances ? 

I'm not saying it's going to morph into an All World line. However it may become much better with plays and game plans designed to mask its deficiencies, or at least appear so.

All indications too are that the Bengals are going to become a run-oriented team. Price and Hart are both better in the run game than the pass game. Plus, being able to run the ball really well should set up playaction better and (hopefully) get the receivers more open (especially Ross).

It sucks that we have to wait another month before we see anything.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(07-02-2019, 09:46 AM)bengalfan74 Wrote: I believe this is something many overlook. 

Could be...but it's also possible we are going to be blaming the o line for making the new system look bad, too.  If things don't go right this year Id be floored if the o line doesn't get the most blame. 
Reply/Quote
It's not like we were going anywhere this year anyway.
[Image: 43325991030_4d39723a8f.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(07-02-2019, 09:51 AM)Wyche Wrote: I see a lot of "he's a QB coach, and didn't do well at UC".....but people keep ignoring the fact that the last HC to lead us to a SB was a QB coach, that didn't do so hot at IU. Mellow

Wyche was a head coach at IU not an assistant like Taylor.
Reply/Quote
(07-02-2019, 09:43 AM)Nately120 Wrote: Weren't they thinking of keeping Marvin or making Hue the HC until the fan reaction was so amazingly negative they thought better of it?

I guess we will never know for sure, but I wouldn't underestimate the power of a consumer base to tell the business when their product is disappointing. 

Right, because no fans were complaining after the 2017 season when they gave Marvin a multi year extension.   Rolleyes
Reply/Quote
(07-02-2019, 10:51 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Right, because no fans were complaining after the 2017 season when they gave Marvin a multi year extension.   Rolleyes

That was the setup for the knockout. 
Reply/Quote
(07-02-2019, 10:48 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Wyche was a head coach at IU not an assistant like Taylor.

And, what was Wyche's job before the season at IU?

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(07-02-2019, 10:09 AM)Nately120 Wrote: Could be...but it's also possible we are going to be blaming the o line for making the new system look bad, too.  If things don't go right this year Id be floored if the o line doesn't get the most blame. 

Oh I get it. I'm not expecting a juggernaut this coming season running roughshod over all comers. There's most likely going to be some growing pains and yes the oline will have a target on it's back.

What I do expect is a fire in their eyes we've been missing lately. 
Reply/Quote
(07-02-2019, 11:51 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: And, what was Wyche's job before the season at IU?

I don't know.  My point was that Taylor has never been a head coach at ANY level.  So you can't really compare him to Sam Wyche.
Reply/Quote
(07-02-2019, 12:45 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I don't know.  My point was that Taylor has never been a head coach at ANY level.  So you can't really compare him to Sam Wyche.

He was QB Coach and Passing Game Director with the 49ers.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(07-02-2019, 09:34 AM)ochocincos Wrote: LG should be the most solid, as one of Boling, Jerry, or Westerman should cover that spot.

I hope Boling gets healthy; rumblings on the inter webs indicate that might not happen. Westerman is an enigma. He never plays yet we hear how talented the guy is. RG should be better this year, hard to be worse. The guys we signed are just guys though. Price should hopefully improve with an NFL offseason and conditioning under his belt. The big issue is tackle. Glenn can’t stay healthy, Hart is a backup at best, and there is zero depth behind them. Hard to look at this line and not see another bottom 5 unit. Turner is better known for Bullygate than his coaching prowess. We shall see, but hard to be optimistic given that the line, with LB, were the biggest team weakness and the FO half-assed the improvement at both position groups. The Achilles Heel last year will likely be the Achilles Heel this year.
Through 2023

Mike Brown’s Owner/GM record: 32 years  223-303-4  .419 winning pct.
Playoff Record:  5-9, .357 winning pct.  
Zac Taylor coaching record, reg. season:  37-44-1. .455 winning pct.
Playoff Record: 5-2, .714 winning pct.
Reply/Quote