Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Oline starters
It will be interesting to see what they do in game 5 when Redmond is back. Does he unseat Miller at RG?
Reply/Quote
(08-25-2019, 11:03 PM)Synric Wrote: Flanker is the receiver lined up off the line. While yes it interchanges from right to left side...the flanker is usually on the right why? Most QBs are right handed so it gives that side an easier release.

I know what a flanker is and i know where he lines up. 

AJ Green lines up at both positions, and occasionally he lines up in the slot depending on the play and what the coaches want to do. 

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(08-25-2019, 11:53 PM)Sled21 Wrote: It will be interesting to see what they do in game 5 when Redmond is back. Does he unseat Miller at RG?

I see zero chance that this happens.  Miller is no superstar, but he's better than Redmond by a lot.  If Hopkins holds it down at center, I see Price getting the spot over Redmond.  Hell, I wouldn't be shocked if Alex Redmond wasn't a Bengal when final cuts come down.
Reply/Quote
(08-25-2019, 11:48 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Yeah but those o-line whiffs have cost us 3 seasons (and counting) of losing. That's the bottom line. 

Tobin definitely needs to reevaluate how he looks at centers.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
(08-25-2019, 11:06 PM)Nately120 Wrote: This has me scratching my head a bit, too.  If Marvin benched a 2nd year guy for a scrapheap vet wouldn't we be on his case for refusing to allow young guys to develop?

The big complaint against Marvin was that he didn't give young players a chance.  Price had a chance last year, and he didn't play well.  He was given a fair opportunity to start this year and while he showed improvement, he was beaten out.  Most fans want the best players to play.  With Marvin, it always felt like there was a pecking order, and once a guy was anointed the starter,he remained the starter until his contract expired. People are just excited to see there is a definite competition and guys have to earn their starting jobs.
Reply/Quote
(08-26-2019, 12:44 AM)Bengal Dude Wrote: Tobin definitely needs to reevaluate how he looks at centers.

It's interesting that when Price was drafted, Pollack was lauded for beating his fist on the table for him.  Now that he's a disappointment, it falls on Tobin, apparently.

The reality is that they let Bodine walk and didn't have a viable replacement.  They went into the draft hoping Ragnew would be there, and he wasn't, so they reached for the next best C out of need.  Stuff like this is why you don't reach for need and don't go into the draft absolutely having to draft X position unless you're in the Top 5.
Reply/Quote
I am not ready to 100% write off Price but it is very telling that he lost his job to Hopkins. No offense to Hopkins but he is not very good. Last year, Price was quite possibly the worst starting center in the entire league but he had a whole host of injury issues so that played a part. It sounds like he is still dealing with injury issues, but I’m fearful that we have whiffed on center again.

I still remember all of the tOSU fans telling me he was going to be an absolute monster and anchor for years to come. Hopefully it still comes true but it’s morbidly funny to think about now. He didn’t even last a full season.
Reply/Quote
(08-26-2019, 12:56 AM)Whatever Wrote: It's interesting that when Price was drafted, Pollack was lauded for beating his fist on the table for him.  Now that he's a disappointment, it falls on Tobin, apparently.

The reality is that they let Bodine walk and didn't have a viable replacement.  They went into the draft hoping Ragnew would be there, and he wasn't, so they reached for the next best C out of need.  Stuff like this is why you don't reach for need and don't go into the draft absolutely having to draft X position unless you're in the Top 5.

I praise Tobin for his success and lay into him for his failures. We've been told that he's the de facto GM, and that became crystal clear in the 2017 draft. 

The Price pick was just another example why this team needs to stop being frugal in free agency. Everyone in the world knew we were going for a center, so I knew it was unlikely we were going to get Ragnow. The Bengals convinced themselves that Price was just as good, I personally preferred James Daniels over Price.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
Something kind of overlooked a bit about Hopkins was his broken leg his first season. I really didn't expect to see him back in the lineup after that busted up leg, but perseverance man.. Perseverance.. How many undrafted offensive linemen break their legs their first season and end up as starters a few short years later?
I'm happy for him.
I'm very excited about Willis as well and hope he just rips up the league. I can't think of the last time this team had an UDFA from a small school just walk in to replace a stud player like AJ? (even if it was due to an unexpected injury) and Jordan..I liked the pick from day 1 and hope he really shines with the team, the division and the league.
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(08-26-2019, 01:06 AM)Bengal Dude Wrote: I praise Tobin for his success and lay into him for his failures. We've been told that he's the de facto GM, and that became crystal clear in the 2017 draft. 

The Price pick was just another example why this team needs to stop being frugal in free agency. Everyone in the world knew we were going for a center, so I knew it was unlikely we were going to get Ragnow. The Bengals convinced themselves that Price was just as good, I personally preferred James Daniels over Price.

Agree. Being Frugal in free agency combined with having shitty drafts leads to poor seasons. We have been awful lately how does Tobin still have a job. I don’t get.
Reply/Quote
(08-25-2019, 05:07 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: ZT is manipulating. Grab the popcorn and watch it unfold. It's gonna be a good year.

I hope you're right.  I guess this could be about changing the culture. ZT sending a message that you don't have a guaranteed spot just because you're a veteran or a high draft pick.  
Reply/Quote
(08-25-2019, 09:06 PM)Joelist Wrote: I still am going to say I trust ZT - if in his judgement Hopkins was the best choice right now than so be it.

I do wonder a bit if the screwup in directional blocking in the Giants game where Price blocked his man sideways into the passing lane causing a tipped pass is part of this? The coaches do seem to be emphasizing everywhere the importance of technical play - do your job correctly (block at the correct angle, run the correct route and break it correctly, be in your assigned spot on defense etc. ).

That was on Miller, not Price!
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(08-26-2019, 12:46 AM)Whatever Wrote:
The big complaint against Marvin was that he didn't give young players a chance.
  Price had a chance last year, and he didn't play well.  He was given a fair opportunity to start this year and while he showed improvement, he was beaten out.  Most fans want the best players to play.  With Marvin, it always felt like there was a pecking order, and once a guy was anointed the starter,he remained the starter until his contract expired. People are just excited to see there is a definite competition and guys have to earn their starting jobs.

Some fans perception was ML didn't give young players a chance, but it has pointed out in numerous threads and posts that is not reality (true). Bates started last year for example. Phillips played in 2018. Just 2 recent examples. I believe ML put the players on the field he felt gave team best chance to win. I think ZT will put the players on the field he feels gives team the best chance to win. 

Fans are excited for a new HC and a perceived new way of doing things. The reality will hit once games begin, if we win games then fans will love ZT, if we lose games FO and fans will eventually hate ZT (after some grace period for being new). It was time for change and I hope ZT is next BB, his decisions in time will result in wins and losses, his accountability and not ML's past as to ZT and the Bengals ML is no longer relevant. 

ML and every head coach is trying to make decisions to win games as that is how they job security and a new contract. To suggest ML was making decisions to not try and win is silly (not saying you are saying that) as quickest way to be unemployed and unemployable is to consistently lose 10+ games a year.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(08-25-2019, 04:52 PM)BonnieBengal Wrote: I do not understand.  Hopkins sucks.

No he doesn't.  He has outperformed Price every time given the opportunity at center, period.

Draft position does not earn you a spot under a good coaching staff.

Take it you're an OSU fan?
Reply/Quote
(08-26-2019, 01:02 AM)KillerGoose Wrote: I am not ready to 100% write off Price but it is very telling that he lost his job to Hopkins. No offense to Hopkins but he is not very good. Last year, Price was quite possibly the worst starting center in the entire league but he had a whole host of injury issues so that played a part. It sounds like he is still dealing with injury issues, but I’m fearful that we have whiffed on center again.

I still remember all of the tOSU fans telling me he was going to be an absolute monster and anchor for years to come. Hopefully it still comes true but it’s morbidly funny to think about now. He didn’t even last a full season.

I remember that too and I remember people telling me I was nuts that I liked Daniels more.

At the time of the draft I had it as Ragnow > Daniels > Price and I believe most analyst had it the same way. 
Reply/Quote
(08-25-2019, 02:15 PM)TSwigZ Wrote: Taylor did add that the foot injury sucked and they’ll count on billy in the future but damn. How about him announcing Damien Willis as a starter already and saying he’ll sit during 4th preseason game this is the opposite of Marv

Zac Taylor is the anti-Marv.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(08-25-2019, 03:46 PM)impactplaya Wrote: Taylor is starting the best at their positions.
It's black and white.
No one is being handed jobs anymore.
Jobs are earned in this new era.

Yep, the days of Marvin's Club Med for underachieving veterans are over. 

Reply/Quote
(08-25-2019, 04:52 PM)BonnieBengal Wrote: I do not understand.  Hopkins sucks.

Well, he graded out better than Price last season, by 10 or more points if I remember right, and he's graded out higher during the preseason this year.

Reply/Quote
(08-26-2019, 09:35 AM)Luvnit2 Wrote: Some fans perception was ML didn't give young players a chance, but it has pointed out in numerous threads and posts that is not reality (true). Bates started last year for example. Phillips played in 2018. Just 2 recent examples. I believe ML put the players on the field he felt gave team best chance to win. I think ZT will put the players on the field he feels gives team the best chance to win. 

Fans are excited for a new HC and a perceived new way of doing things. The reality will hit once games begin, if we win games then fans will love ZT, if we lose games FO and fans will eventually hate ZT (after some grace period for being new). It was time for change and I hope ZT is next BB, his decisions in time will result in wins and losses, his accountability and not ML's past as to ZT and the Bengals ML is no longer relevant. 

ML and every head coach is trying to make decisions to win games as that is how they job security and a new contract. To suggest ML was making decisions to not try and win is silly (not saying you are saying that) as quickest way to be unemployed and unemployable is to consistently lose 10+ games a year.

That's the big thing, there...it's all about winning or losing and then it's just deductive reasoning after that.  Right now we are brimming with optimism so the idea that ZT would play his guys over the high picks the FO made looks like a bold move that excites us and shows a shift in this crusty organization's doings.  With that being said, if we don't have success with this model it might start some friction between the FO and the HC and that is something that would certainly be the inverse of the Marvin Lewis era (insofar as Marvin had given up, mostly).

It's like getting hired for a manager position with a new company and telling your boss that you don't want the guys he hired before you got there...you want to bring in your own team.  Once you do that, you had better hit your numbers or you're in deep doo doo (to use an industry, term).

I'm on the optimism train (for the most part) but we have to realize right now that everything ZT looks great while he is 0-0.  Right now ZT could fart and we'd be discussing how much more inspiring it was than any of Marvin's lackluster gas expulsions. Let's face it...Marvin farts like a loser.

(08-26-2019, 10:33 AM)Wyche Wrote: Zac Taylor is the anti-Marv.

This is what is so interesting and exciting about the whole thing.  It's like we've just gotten divorced from a bland but reliable woman we were with for decades and now we are taking our 19 year old gf to PTO meetings and explaining to people how we've finally seen the light and found someone who gets us.  Sorry, is my toupee crooked?
Reply/Quote
(08-26-2019, 01:02 AM)KillerGoose Wrote: I am not ready to 100% write off Price but it is very telling that he lost his job to Hopkins. No offense to Hopkins but he is not very good. Last year, Price was quite possibly the worst starting center in the entire league but he had a whole host of injury issues so that played a part. It sounds like he is still dealing with injury issues, but I’m fearful that we have whiffed on center again.

Well, like in a lot of threads, there is a whole lot of revisionist history going on in this thread. Price, Daniels and Ragnow were rated very close in the draft. Price was injured from the combine throughout the end of the season. Ragnow, meanwhile, did not even play center in Detroit, he played Guard. So this year Price is still dealing with a foot injury and Ragnow is out with a sprained ankle. Meanwhile, Hopkins did a very good job last year, and fans were wanting him to play over Price. Now, when he ups his game and gets the starter nod, people are still not happy. This is for all intents and purposes, Price's 1st year with a training camp and being able to hit the weight room. He'll crack his way back into the starting lineup. And maybe this wake up call is exactly what he needs....
Reply/Quote