Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Oline starters
(08-25-2019, 07:50 PM)BonnieBengal Wrote: I don't like OSU at all.  I'm an FSU and Alabama fan.  

Hopkins was terrible during preseason.  Price got more push than Hopkins.

The coaches saw something you didn't apparently. 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(08-25-2019, 08:04 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: My alerts said you quoted me three times and I was a bit perplexed lol.

You're right; I was going to, but neglected to mention, that they do see what goes on in practice more and we don't see any of that.

I deleted a couple replies and toned down my snark cause I like you. Been one of those days...

Reply/Quote
I still am going to say I trust ZT - if in his judgement Hopkins was the best choice right now than so be it.

I do wonder a bit if the screwup in directional blocking in the Giants game where Price blocked his man sideways into the passing lane causing a tipped pass is part of this? The coaches do seem to be emphasizing everywhere the importance of technical play - do your job correctly (block at the correct angle, run the correct route and break it correctly, be in your assigned spot on defense etc. ).
Reply/Quote
(08-25-2019, 08:06 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Honestly, who else would they have started Week 1?

Ross hasn't practiced ALL preseason. Core and Malone aren't starters. Erickson is a 4 or 5 WR on a normal roster. Tate is hurt.

Without AJ Green, we have Boyd and a bunch of #4 and 5 WR's.

I bet if Marvin were here it would be Core starting week one.
Reply/Quote
If Price can't even win the starting gig, I have to start thinking that Tobin should be on the hot seat.

Ogbuehi, Fisher, Price, Ross, Jonah already severely injured, etc... Those are some pretty big whiffs.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(08-25-2019, 09:55 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: If Price can't even win the starting gig, I have to start thinking that Tobin should be on the hot seat.

Ogbuehi, Fisher, Price, Ross, Jonah already severely injured, etc... Those are some pretty big whiffs.

If you are placing the blame for those players on Tobin you have to also give him credit for Boyd Mixon Bates Lawson Billings WJIII.

But the coaches also have a say in which players fit their system. It's a group effort....that's why they have a new group lol.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
I'm glad to see Jordan get the nod. Before camp, I never would have expected it. I think he needs to maybe get a little bit more strength and power, but Boling was kind of in the same spot in his first year and that eventually worked out okay. His development will be interesting to watch over the course of the season.

I also have to wonder what the Hopkins deal means for Price's future. Miller has played well enough to get the job, but I'm not sure he's got a lock on the position long-term. If, at some point Price ends up stepping in for him and playing well, then suddenly we have long-term answers at two guard spots, and that would be huge for this team.
Reply/Quote
(08-25-2019, 09:55 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: If Price can't even win the starting gig, I have to start thinking that Tobin should be on the hot seat.

Taylor's comments made it sound like Price lost the job because of his foot injury.  He stated that Hopkins was put into position and did nothing to lose it, so the job is his.
Reply/Quote
I believe ZT is sending a loud and clear message here.Especially with Damien Willis starting.I agree with his decisions.
Reply/Quote

On all but 1 team he would.

Here...there is no hot seat. The heating bill costs too much!
Reply/Quote
We know what we have in Hopkins and Hart for the most part...but how nice would it be if MJ played like a solid Guard this year?

Then when Jonah returns, we'd have 2 above average to good lineman if Jonah was solid. That's kind of how you rebuild a line.
Reply/Quote
(08-25-2019, 08:32 PM)bfine32 Wrote: The coaches saw something you didn't apparently. 

I’m fairly certain what the coaches saw was a Billy Price who wasn’t completely healed from his 2018 injury. Billy had a great preseason but I suspect Zac Taylor wants to make totally sure Billy is at full go before allowing him in the starting lineup for good. Center is one of those critical positions where the player can’t play “dinged up.”
Reply/Quote
(08-25-2019, 10:07 PM)jfkbengals Wrote: Taylor's comments made it sound like Price lost the job because of his foot injury.  He stated that Hopkins was put into position and did nothing to lose it, so the job is his.

I've seen a couple comments that Price lost the job because of injury.  That might be true, but not the way it sounds at first.  I think the disconnect is that people see that Price appears to be physically better than Hopkins in preseason and has more upside potential. Plus he was in games, so how injured could he have been?  What I suspect ZT sees is a guy (Price) who has missed a lot of reps over the past two years and therefore isn't nearly as good at recognizing defenses and making line calls as Hopkins is, YET.  If Price had been healthy all spring and summer when the offense was installed, ZT might have more confidence in him; but, for now, to make sure the offense has the best chance to succeed at the beginning of his tenure he goes with the guy who will make the fewest mental mistakes.  Hence, the injury (missed reps) is why he isn't starting.  

I expect we will see a lot of emphasis on doing things a certain way in ZT's offense; much like the early success of the West Coast offense was only partly about the particular scheme but also about the increased attention to detail.  Right now, Hopkins is better at the details than Price.  That won't last forever, or even most of this year, I'd guess.
Reply/Quote
(08-25-2019, 04:33 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Yes, it is refreshing and of all the WR's to replace AJ, Willis is the one that fits what AJ does the best.

Big, tall, fast and goes up for the ball extremely well. Perfect X.

(08-25-2019, 07:11 PM)Synric Wrote: Z AJ is the flanker X is the split end.

You guys keep doing this wrong. I keep trying to tell you that the WRs are interchangeable. 

X, Z, slot, etc etc are field designations. They're not WR designations. Any WR can line up at any of those positions at any time. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(08-25-2019, 10:52 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: You guys keep doing this wrong. I keep trying to tell you that the WRs are interchangeable. 

X, Z, slot, etc etc are field designations. They're not WR designations. Any WR can line up at any of those positions at any time. 

Flanker is the receiver lined up off the line. While yes it interchanges from right to left side...the flanker is usually on the right why? Most QBs are right handed so it gives that side an easier release.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(08-25-2019, 08:04 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Yep. Honestly, people in this thread are like 'Marvin wouldn't do this. Performance matters'. Then, they also say he didn't play young guys.

Benching Price for a limited veteran is EXACTLY the move that people bashed Marvin for.

Hopkins was TERRIBLE at Guard 2 years ago. He was below average at Center. Price has a chance to become an above average to good center...IF they play him.

Price has to be looking pretty bad for the coaches to make this move.

This has me scratching my head a bit, too.  If Marvin benched a 2nd year guy for a scrapheap vet wouldn't we be on his case for refusing to allow young guys to develop?
Reply/Quote
(08-25-2019, 10:39 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: I’m fairly certain what the coaches saw was a Billy Price who wasn’t completely healed from his 2018 injury. Billy had a great preseason but I suspect Zac Taylor wants to make totally sure Billy is at full go before allowing him in the starting lineup for good.  Center is one of those critical positions where the player can’t play “dinged up.”

It's not like Price was some great Center in the league before. He was bad last year. He hasn't looked like he improved.

He may never be a good Center in the NFL. Elflein was replaced in Minnesotta after Year 2 for instance.
Reply/Quote
(08-25-2019, 11:06 PM)Nately120 Wrote: This has me scratching my head a bit, too.  If Marvin benched a 2nd year guy for a scrapheap vet wouldn't we be on his case for refusing to allow young guys to develop?

Definitely.

People are in the honeymoon phase with Taylor so every move the Bengals make they think is new and innovative.

re: Willis starting - Malone, Core, and Erickson are #5 guys on most teams. Ross has been hurt all preseason. Willis has actually produced in games and practice. Tate is hurt.

This isn't sending a message. And having an UDFA come in and win a starting job basically shows you don't have a lot of quality depth at that position. Maybe IF Willis won the job year 2 or 3...Our WR's outside Green and Boyd were bad last year. Terrible PFF rankings.

Price was bad at C last year. Hopkins was below average. He was terrible as a starter at Guard. He's also 27. Price has the chance to develop. I doubt that Hopkins will get a lot better. IF Marvin made this move, it would be holding a young guy down. We saw this said over and over when Ross didn't play as a rookie.

MJ winning a starting job? I like it, but Westerman is apparently bad. Jerry was out of the league last year. Boling retired.

I think these moves we're seeing, while on the surface look good...they show we lack a lot of high-end talent on the roster. UDFA's don't win starting jobs as a rookie on most good teams.
Reply/Quote
(08-25-2019, 07:11 PM)Socal Bengals fan Wrote: Props to Taylor no props to Tobin who keeps striking out in the draft. 

Just stop. It sounds silly. Keeps striking out in the draft. Tell that to WJIII and Jesse Bates. Williams will be back and be a beast. Sample is on track to be a major contributor. The Draft is a crap shoot, some work out, others don't. We haven't done any worse than any other team, it just seems like it because the bad string of luck we've had with injuries to 1st rounders.
Reply/Quote
(08-25-2019, 10:01 PM)Synric Wrote: If you are placing the blame for those players on Tobin you have to also give him credit for Boyd Mixon Bates Lawson Billings WJIII.

But the coaches also have a say in which players fit their system. It's a group effort....that's why they have a new group lol.

Yeah but those o-line whiffs have cost us 3 seasons (and counting) of losing. That's the bottom line. 
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote