Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Oline starters
(08-25-2019, 04:52 PM)BonnieBengal Wrote: I do not understand.  Hopkins sucks.

No he doesn’t. He’s been consistently better than Price.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
Quote:Also Sunday, wide receiver John Ross planned to practice for the first time this preseason in the hopes that his hamstring injury allows him to play in the opener. Asked if he can get back in two weeks without playing in a game, Ross said, “We’ll find out. I’ve never missed this much camp.”

Maybe I'm wrong, but I somehow get the feeling Ross just didn't want to put out the effort in training camp. Now that camp's basically over, his hamstring is fine....right.
Reply/Quote
To my eyes, Price played better compared to last year, and out played Hopkins thus far this preseason. Price is the only O-Line player getting any push at LOS. Price may be having difficulties identifying defensive player sets at pre-snap, which apparently Hopkins is better. I think Price has some difficulties identifying priorities at the second level and missing some assignments.

I would not read too much into this starting line-up as ZT et al. seems to have a fluid system. This sends a clear message to vets that no job is safe and the coaching staff will play the best players regardless of salary, draft status.
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
(08-25-2019, 04:33 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Yes, it is refreshing and of all the WR's to replace AJ, Willis is the one that fits what AJ does the best.

Big, tall, fast and goes up for the ball extremely well. Perfect X.

Z AJ is the flanker X is the split end.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
Props to Taylor no props to Tobin who keeps striking out in the draft. Even though I did like the Jonah Willians n Price picks. Too too bad we missed out on Risner n Ford. We could use them.
Reply/Quote
(08-25-2019, 06:15 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: No he doesn’t. He’s been consistently better than Price.

No he hasn't, at all.

Hopkins was better than Price V Chefs. (Hopkins played with the 2s)
Price was SIGNIFICANTLY better than Hopkins V 'skins. (Price played with the 2s)
Price was better than Hopkins V Gigants (Price played with 1s)

I'm with Pally; first sign of a screw-up or poor play from Hopkins, Price will be in.
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote

How long you been an OSU homer?

BTW: I need a sig update. Out with Dennard and Price and in with Bates and Jordan
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(08-25-2019, 07:17 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: No he hasn't, at all.

Hopkins was better than Price V Chefs. (Hopkins played with the 2s)
Price was SIGNIFICANTLY better than Hopkins V 'skins. (Price played with the 2s)
Price was better than Hopkins V Gigants (Price played with 1s)

I'm with Pally; first sign of a screw-up or poor play from Hopkins, Price will be in.

Why is Hopkins starting then? Maybe, just maybe he also looks better in practice, and not just the “eye test” of a few snaps by some here...

Reply/Quote
(08-25-2019, 07:22 PM)bfine32 Wrote: How long you been an OSU homer?

BTW: I need a sig update. Out with Dennard and Price and in with Bates and Jordan

I don't like OSU at all.  I'm an FSU and Alabama fan.  

Hopkins was terrible during preseason.  Price got more push than Hopkins.
Reply/Quote
(08-25-2019, 02:31 PM)fredtoast Wrote: If the injury was an issue I don't think Price would the first guy off the bench at any interior position like Taylor indicated.

Not bashing Hopkins, but the improvement of Price was one of the big factors I was counting on to improve the O-line.  Hopkins may have outplayed Price last year, but he was not impressive at all.  And Hopkins has been in the league 4 years.  He is not going to suddenly improve dramatically this season.

Yep. Honestly, people in this thread are like 'Marvin wouldn't do this. Performance matters'. Then, they also say he didn't play young guys.

Benching Price for a limited veteran is EXACTLY the move that people bashed Marvin for.

Hopkins was TERRIBLE at Guard 2 years ago. He was below average at Center. Price has a chance to become an above average to good center...IF they play him.

Price has to be looking pretty bad for the coaches to make this move.
Reply/Quote
(08-25-2019, 07:49 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Why is Hopkins starting then? Maybe, just maybe he also looks better in practice, and not just the “eye test” of a few snaps by some here...

My alerts said you quoted me three times and I was a bit perplexed lol.

You're right; I was going to, but neglected to mention, that they do see what goes on in practice more and we don't see any of that.
Reply/Quote
(08-25-2019, 02:45 PM)leonardfan40 Wrote: Love the Willis news. That has to resonate with the players, current and future. It’s not about experience, not about draft position, it’s about what you earn. Having a rookie undrafted WR starting week one cannot be a common thing around the league ( feel free to correct me if I’m wrong Fred or any of the other stat junkies out there).

I love how Zac has come in from day one with a clear vision of what he wants to build. From the tiniest details to the major decisions, he seems to know what he wants. May work, may not, but it is definitely enjoyable to watch and a nice change of pace

Honestly, who else would they have started Week 1?

Ross hasn't practiced ALL preseason. Core and Malone aren't starters. Erickson is a 4 or 5 WR on a normal roster. Tate is hurt.

Without AJ Green, we have Boyd and a bunch of #4 and 5 WR's.
Reply/Quote
I'm a Bengals fan 1st and foremost everything else is a sideshow.

It's good to see that ZT and Co. are putting in who they deem best suited for the job. And not the highest draft pick, paid, seniority, and so on. I'm hoping this really is a new day.
Reply/Quote
(08-25-2019, 02:34 PM)Joelist Wrote: Well I’ll trust the coaches on this one because every time I saw Price in there he was very good and meanwhile Hopkins was not so good at times (like against the Skins).

So  now we have a 1st rounder (Price) who cant crack starting lineup and beat by a FA nd another 1st rounder (Williams) out for yr...add in Ross (who is ..lets be honest....a bust  for where he was picked) I pray for some better drafts in future ZT lead seasons. Price was ML legacy guy but damn..he was a HIGH pick. We are striking out so much in the 1st round we should just start trading out and getting more 2, 3rd and mid rounders 
Reply/Quote
(08-25-2019, 08:04 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Yep. Honestly, people in this thread are like 'Marvin wouldn't do this. Performance matters'. Then, they also say he didn't play young guys.

Benching Price for a limited veteran is EXACTLY the move that people bashed Marvin for.

Hopkins was TERRIBLE at Guard 2 years ago. He was below average at Center. Price has a chance to become an above average to good center...IF they play him.

Price has to be looking pretty bad for the coaches to make this move.

(08-25-2019, 08:09 PM)kalibengal Wrote: So  now we have a 1st rounder (Price) who cant crack starting lineup and beat by a FA nd another 1st rounder (Williams) out for yr...add in Ross (who is ..lets be honest....a bust  for where he was picked) I pray for some better drafts in future ZT lead seasons. Price was ML legacy guy but damn..he was a HIGH pick. We are striking out so much in the 1st round we should just start trading out and getting more 2, 3rd and mid rounders 

Price may take over midway through the first game and not relinquish the position for the rest of the year; he's far from a bust and there very well could be an issue in regards to his foot.
Reply/Quote
(08-25-2019, 08:07 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: I'm a Bengals fan 1st and foremost everything else is a sideshow.

It's good to see that ZT and Co. are putting in who they deem best suited for the job. And not the highest draft pick, paid, seniority, and so on. I'm hoping this really is a new day.

I think any coaching staff puts in who they think is the best. The thing is...it's not like we have Pro Bowl lineman. Player A is bad. Player B is below average.
Reply/Quote
(08-25-2019, 08:09 PM)kalibengal Wrote: So  now we have a 1st rounder (Price) who cant crack starting lineup and beat by a FA nd another 1st rounder (Williams) out for yr...add in Ross (who is ..lets be honest....a bust  for where he was picked) I pray for some better drafts in future ZT lead seasons. Price was ML legacy guy but damn..he was a HIGH pick. We are striking out so much in the 1st round we should just start trading out and getting more 2, 3rd and mid rounders 

We've got very little contribution on 1st Round picks recently and our drafts have generally been bad outside of a few gems. That's why you don't make the playoffs for several seasons.
Reply/Quote
(08-25-2019, 07:50 PM)BonnieBengal Wrote: I don't like OSU at all.  I'm an FSU and Alabama fan.  

Hopkins was terrible during preseason.  Price got more push than Hopkins.

I thought Price did better as well. But the bottom line is I'm for whoever is best ! They believe it's Hopkins so be it, I'm onboard. 

However it wouldn't surprise me at all if our opening day Oline and week 2,3, whatever down the line isn't the same as the 1st game. And I don't mean due to injuries.

I'd bet the changes are just beginning.
Reply/Quote

He held his own last year and imo played well when Price was out, injured. 
Reply/Quote
(08-25-2019, 08:21 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: I thought Price did better as well. But the bottom line is I'm for whoever is best ! They believe it's Hopkins so be it, I'm onboard. 

However it wouldn't surprise me at all if our opening day Oline and week 2,3, whatever down the line isn't the same as the 1st game. And I don't mean due to injuries.

I'd bet the changes are just beginning.

I hope you're wrong. An oline needs chemistry going into the season with thoughts of changing it up is not good. Let's just ride with the Soul Train. 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote