Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Oline starters
(08-25-2019, 03:54 PM)Synric Wrote: I wondered if Price would struggle in an outside zone. Remember he was drafted to play in an power man/inside zone scheme.

Being fair, Price did improve this offseason.  He just got outplayed by Hopkins.  Maybe with another year to develop, he'll surpass him.  It's obvious at this point that he wasn't worth a 1st round pick, but as long as he's improving, he can still become a decent player.  

Mentioned this in another thread, but they've got a tough decision next year with Hopkins being an UFA. Do they resign Trey or let him walk and hand the job to Price?

A negative out of all this is that I've seen the philosophy that with Trey on the bench, you can get away with only dressing 7 OL since he can play any position.  With him starting, we'll probably have to dress 8.  Price only has a couple of practices at G and can't play T.  Jerry can play G or T in a pinch, but can't play C.  Andre can play T or G if needed, but also can't play C.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(08-25-2019, 04:23 PM)jj22 Wrote: Ross returns and other updates on today's presser and practice notes.

https://www.bengals.com/news/quick-hits-surprise-wr-starter-willis-surprised-c-hopkins-lg-jordan-also-named-f

Thoughts on Price being benched. It would never have happened under Marvin. That's a first round pick and along with the struggles of Ross..... Got to think Tobin wanted one of them to work out.

ZT is calling the shots with the roster.

Green still in boot. No update on the timeline to return. He's in the building tho.

Jordan wins RG job.

Price must not be fully healthy.

Jordan won the LG job BTW. Miller is the RG.
Reply/Quote
(08-25-2019, 04:30 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Price must not be fully healthy.

Jordan won the LG job BTW. Miller is the RG.

Right. I'm worse than Hobson! Fixed.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(08-25-2019, 02:37 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: Probably right. This is a case of guys earning it and I love the message it sends. Billy will play hard to show he's got the stuff. It's things like this that help athletes reach the next level. Also, just because he's a backup, those guys are gonna have to fight hard to keep their jobs because Billy will be trying to regain it.

(08-25-2019, 02:45 PM)leonardfan40 Wrote: Love the Willis news. That has to resonate with the players, current and future. It’s not about experience, not about draft position, it’s about what you earn. Having a rookie undrafted WR starting week one cannot be a common thing around the league ( feel free to correct me if I’m wrong Fred or any of the other stat junkies out there).

I love how Zac has come in from day one with a clear vision of what he wants to build. From the tiniest details to the major decisions, he seems to know what he wants. May work, may not, but it is definitely enjoyable to watch and a nice change of pace

Yes, it is refreshing and of all the WR's to replace AJ, Willis is the one that fits what AJ does the best.

Big, tall, fast and goes up for the ball extremely well. Perfect X.
Reply/Quote
(08-25-2019, 04:33 PM)jj22 Wrote: Right. I'm worse than Hobson! Fixed.

Awesome.

Love how Taylor just started an UDFA because he just played the best. To me this says tons.

Perfect player to play in AJ's spot too. Things are different around here in a good way.
Reply/Quote
what IF Willis comes out and just tears it up ?
Flat out makes plays.....
When Green returns me thiinks Willis might be the 3rd WR
Reply/Quote
Under Marvin undrafted free agents believed they had a serious shot at making the roster. Looks like that tradition will continue under ZT.

Hope Ross's hamstring holds up as he makes his return to a suddenly deep wideout room.

Reply/Quote
(08-25-2019, 04:38 PM)impactplaya Wrote: what IF Willis comes out and just tears it up ?
Flat out makes plays.....
When Green returns me thiinks Willis might be the 3rd WR

The #3 job pretty much has to be up in the air due to Ross's injury.  If Willis outplays Ross, I think he'll get the #3 job, but I'm sure there will be specific packages for Ross, as well.

What's really interesting is if Willis tears it up, do they still resign AJ?
Reply/Quote
I'm really liking how Zac is going about this, he has already told the players who are starting against the seahawks so they can get a good couple of weeks practice in together.
I also did say in another thread that I thought there would be some surprises regarding the cuts and team. I think this is only the start
Reply/Quote
(08-25-2019, 02:12 PM)Socal Bengals fan Wrote: Looks like Glenn Jordan Hopkins Miller Hart are the starters. Sucks for price.  Cross our fingers now.

I do not understand.  Hopkins sucks.
Reply/Quote
If Price is injured he shouldn't have been playing with the 2/3's (if there was ever such thing this preseason). He should still be rehabbing. The injury excuse strikes me as odd given how much he played and at different spots.

Reply/Quote
(08-25-2019, 04:52 PM)BonnieBengal Wrote: I do not understand.  Hopkins sucks.

ZT is manipulating. Grab the popcorn and watch it unfold. It's gonna be a good year.

Reply/Quote
(08-25-2019, 02:31 PM)fredtoast Wrote: If the injury was an issue I don't think Price would the first guy off the bench at any interior position like Taylor indicated.

Not bashing Hopkins, but the improvement of Price was one of the big factors I was counting on to improve the O-line.  Hopkins may have outplayed Price last year, but he was not impressive at all.  And Hopkins has been in the league 4 years.  He is not going to suddenly improve dramatically this season.

Completely agree with the Hopkins assessment it’s the same way I feel with Bobby Hart. I feel like Hopkins won the job not because he is good but because Price was worse if that makes sense lol. If Price and Ross don’t workout we have to pray Johan Williams is the real deal. Give credit to Taylor for playing the most deserving.
Reply/Quote
Interesting. I think that part of Marvin wouldn’t bench some guys that weren’t playing well out of foolish pride. The players weren’t working out yet and he wanted to give them more opportunities to prove him right because he had drafted the players.
Reply/Quote
(08-25-2019, 04:38 PM)jj22 Wrote: Under Marvin undrafted free agents believed they had a serious shot at making the roster. Looks like that tradition will continue under ZT.

Hope Ross's hamstring holds up as he makes his return to a suddenly deep wideout room.

Ross is certainly being pushed.
Reply/Quote
Surprising with Trey's versatility that he isn't coming off the bench. Looks like that will be Prices's job for now. He will get better.

Willis flat out earned it.

Glad to see Coach Taylor lay out roles now.

Good news on AJ. Can't wait to see him in this offense.
Reply/Quote
(08-25-2019, 04:48 PM)Whatever Wrote: What's really interesting is if Willis tears it up, do they still resign AJ?

Absolutely, and let Ross go....
Reply/Quote
Westerman and Price are two huge disappointments this training camp. Besides AJ and Jonah hurting themselves.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(08-25-2019, 02:45 PM)leonardfan40 Wrote: Love the Willis news. That has to resonate with the players, current and future. It’s not about experience, not about draft position, it’s about what you earn. Having a rookie undrafted WR starting week one cannot be a common thing around the league ( feel free to correct me if I’m wrong Fred or any of the other stat junkies out there).

I love how Zac has come in from day one with a clear vision of what he wants to build. From the tiniest details to the major decisions, he seems to know what he wants. May work, may not, but it is definitely enjoyable to watch and a nice change of pace

Me too. What a story!! Undrafted WR from Troy, previously on Last Chance U., comes in, and an injury to AJ Green opens the door for him not only to make the 53 man roster but to start in place of Green in week 1 of the regular season.

He's earned it.
Today I'm TEAM SEWELL. Tomorrow TEAM PITTS. Maybe TEAM CHASE. I can't decide, and glad I don't have to.
Reply/Quote
Just watched Price's interview on Bengals.com. He seems pretty upset about it even if he is trying to hide it. IMO, I don't think his personality really jives with Coach Taylor.

Hopefully he shows some character and comes out better from it.
Reply/Quote