Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
One injury away from possible disaster
(07-13-2021, 11:35 AM)Stewy Wrote: Should have drafted Sewell.  Too bad you were on the Chase train....

Wouldn't have changed the lack of depth the Bengals have at OL.

It's been said before already but it is worth reiterating - most teams OL depth isn't great; Cincy doesn't have a unique problem here. Except that our starters are a huge question mark.
Reply/Quote
(07-13-2021, 01:35 AM)Essex Johnson Wrote: Well just researching our division alone, as it stands we have the least experienced backup tackles than Raven, Browns and even the Steelers which are in rebuild mode on their Oline have more experience than we do at backup tackles

My first thought of a team was the Packers. They had a big injury to their starting tackle in the playoffs last year and it cost them in the NFC championship game. My point stands that there are more teams that have an issue if a starting tackle goes down than don't. I'm not saying it wouldn't be nice to get more depth, but I'm just calling it as I see it. It's rare to find a team with (3) legit offensive tackles. Most teams have (1) or (2) at the most. I think we have (1) with Reiff and Jonah could prove to be a 2nd in his third season. We've got developmental depth behind with some experience. Losing Adeneji hurts, but it is what it is. It'd be nice to have Sewell in there and have (3) legit tackles, but I can't argue with what Chase brings to the table.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(07-13-2021, 11:09 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: Evans has a lot of NFL experience and has been a solid contributor when called upon.  Bailey was an absolute stud in college and if he is now 100% recovered from his injury, he could be a real find. 

You have to give the LBs a bit of a pass, as I did our secondary for the last several years due to poor defensive line play.  It seems like defensive line was this year's focus.  Getting Reader back, adding Ogunjobi and Hendrickson, and drafting the likes of Shelvin, Ossai, and Sample should go a long way to keeping the LBs clean and allowing them to flow and make plays.  One thing you can't say about our LBs is that they are slow and not athletic.  If the defensive line does its job, you might get to see them make some plays. 

You sure do give a lot of passes. Mellow

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(07-13-2021, 11:05 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: You figure Fred Johnson is the first tackle off the bench.  I know he was awful last year, but I am giving him a pass because he wasn't suited to play guard and I think he, like many others, was caught by surprise that there was actually a season and was not in shape.  

I don't have the numbers to back this up (and this would be a GREAT bar bet), but I believe the games he has started for the Bengals at Tackle, they are 4-0. That may not be correct, but I think I heard that on one of the podcasts.

He is at least a solid backup.  Losing Adeniji really hurts, though, and I could see the team signing one more veteran before the season.  I have no idea if Smith is ready to come in and play as I know very little about him.  

I personally would like to avoid Carman moving to tackle and hope he develops in to a stalwart at RG.  

3-3

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(07-13-2021, 11:45 AM)TJ528 Wrote: shhhshhh dont say this too loud.  I got call out for being "negative" instead of looking at real issues with the team.  

I mean you should be all about optimism right now Essex.  lol 

Anyway, back to the topic at hand.  I've said since the draft this team needs more veteran depth on the OL, LB, and WR. 

If and when the Bengals have injuries, we'll see if our depth is there enough to handle the missing pieces. 

The reason I took under 6.5 wins from Vegas is because I don't believe this team can remain healthy all season.  

A healthy Bengals team I think could win 8 or 9 games with Burrow at the helm.  A team with injuries is in the 5-6 win range. 

Yeah. I think anyone with a lick of sense would(should) believe a healthy team could win 9+. Only problem is, how long has it been since we've seen a really healthy Bengals team. 2015?

Reply/Quote
(07-13-2021, 02:19 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Yeah. I think anyone with a lick of sense would(should) believe a healthy team could win 9+. Only problem is, how long has it been since we've seen a really healthy Bengals team. 2015?

When's the last time this team had any quality depth to handle injuries to those areas?  2015?  Maybe? 

Right now, we have legit NFL starts on offense and defense.  However, what's behind them...ehhh not so much in a lot of cases at some positions.  
Reply/Quote
My biggest complaint with the offseason was that they didn't address backup QB. Specifically I thought they should have made a run for Alex Smith. I know he has his leg issue and more than likely going to retire regardless, but an experienced backup QB could help Burrow a lot. If Burrow goes down, or has to miss early in season, this team is done before we start. I think it is something that needs addressed, and maybe it will be when camp cuts happen.
Reply/Quote
(07-13-2021, 03:01 PM)plantmanky Wrote: My biggest complaint with the offseason was that they didn't address backup QB.  Specifically I thought they should have made a run for Alex Smith.  I know he has his leg issue and more than likely going to retire regardless, but an experienced backup QB could help Burrow a lot.  If Burrow goes down, or has to miss early in season, this team is done before we start.  I think it is something that needs addressed, and maybe it will be when camp cuts happen.

I think Brandon Allen showed he is perfectly capable of stepping in if Burrow goes down.  I also don't think Burrow is the type of QB that NEEDS a veteran QB. 
Reply/Quote
Wait! When has disaster ever struck the Bengals at the wrong time? It's always been perfect timing..
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(07-13-2021, 01:39 PM)BigPapaKain Wrote: Wouldn't have changed the lack of depth the Bengals have at OL.

It's been said before already but it is worth reiterating - most teams OL depth isn't great; Cincy doesn't have a unique problem here. Except that our starters are a huge question mark.

Starter. Singular. Reiff is not a question mark.

Reply/Quote
(07-13-2021, 10:19 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Starter. Singular. Reiff is not a question mark.

Still leaves 4 of them that are. Which means our starters with one exception are question marks. And even Reiff is only because we don't know how much of a change in scheme Reiff is dealing with and how it'll affect him.
Reply/Quote
(07-13-2021, 10:45 PM)BigPapaKain Wrote: Still leaves 4 of them that are. Which means our starters with one exception are question marks. And even Reiff is only because we don't know how much of a change in scheme Reiff is dealing with and how it'll affect him.

This thread is about our OT’s…

Reply/Quote
Yeah I have that concern but what team doesn't especially at Tackle?
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
I think we can all agree that: "Could be a disaster if injury..." is an upgrade to what we've had for a few years.

Our tackles are not terrible, our back ups have starter experience, and we have a couple you prospects..
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
One injury away from disaster?

Not with Frank Pollack on the payroll
Reply/Quote
(07-13-2021, 10:52 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: This thread is about our OT’s…

Point stands.
Reply/Quote
(07-13-2021, 11:09 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: Evans has a lot of NFL experience and has been a solid contributor when called upon.  Bailey was an absolute stud in college and if he is now 100% recovered from his injury, he could be a real find. 

You have to give the LBs a bit of a pass, as I did our secondary for the last several years due to poor defensive line play.  It seems like defensive line was this year's focus.  Getting Reader back, adding Ogunjobi and Hendrickson, and drafting the likes of Shelvin, Ossai, and Sample should go a long way to keeping the LBs clean and allowing them to flow and make plays.  One thing you can't say about our LBs is that they are slow and not athletic.  If the defensive line does its job, you might get to see them make some plays. 

I expect Bailey to make a huge jump this year. He definitely has the smarts and the speed. 
Reply/Quote
(07-13-2021, 02:14 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: You sure do give a lot of passes. Mellow

I always make my opinion known when and where I feel the club needs to improve.  They will most likely add another offensive lineman with Adeniji out for the year.  I feel that will be the best usage of their cap space (and still trying to extend Bates and Hubbard).  The LB corps, while young, all (except Bailey) got valuable experience last year and should be ready to go this season.  

I don't consider that giving anyone a pass.  They drafted 3 LBs in 2019 to address a major need.  They got younger and faster.  I'm sure you understand the importance of a strong line in front of your LBs.  That has been massively upgraded.  I think they have done a good job building that unit.  If you disagree and feel they should do something else, I am all ears.  
Reply/Quote
(07-13-2021, 02:17 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: 3-3

That is at tackle?  
Reply/Quote
(07-13-2021, 11:35 AM)Stewy Wrote: Should have drafted Sewell.  Too bad you were on the Chase train....

And when Chase is lighting it up this season, all the incessant whining about "should have drafted Sewell" will look even more silly. 
Reply/Quote