Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
One injury away from possible disaster
(07-14-2021, 07:24 AM)BigPapaKain Wrote: Point stands.

albeit irrelevant
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
OL has been the worst unit for seasons on this team which stands to reason that the back-ups on the team are going to be really bad (since you'd have to hope the coaches would see the back-up out playing the starter at practice and make a move).

The line is still an issue, hence the depth is still an issue. When they get 5 quality guys up front they can count on for all 16 games, then they can start drafting for depth. The team suffers from missing on several picks across several drafts and that isn't a quick fix.

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

Reply/Quote
(07-13-2021, 02:19 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Yeah. I think anyone with a lick of sense would(should) believe a healthy team could win 9+. Only problem is, how long has it been since we've seen a really healthy Bengals team. 2015?

I honestly am not highly confident a healthy Bengals team would win 9+ games.
That's how little I think of Zac Taylor's and Lou Anarumo's play calling.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(07-14-2021, 12:15 PM)Sled21 Wrote: And when Chase is lighting it up this season, all the incessant whining about "should have drafted Sewell" will look even more silly. 

You know you're the second person to respond like this....i was being HIGHLY sarcastic because Essex was one of the biggest Sewell backers and doom throwers/whiners on the forums after we didn't draft him.  How quickly people forget.
Reply/Quote
(07-13-2021, 02:22 PM)TJ528 Wrote: When's the last time this team had any quality depth to handle injuries to those areas?  2015?  Maybe? 

Right now, we have legit NFL starts on offense and defense.  However, what's behind them...ehhh not so much in a lot of cases at some positions.  

Their depth at most positions is pretty bad.

Entire OL
QB
TE
DL
LB
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(07-14-2021, 01:39 PM)Stewy Wrote: You know you're the second person to respond like this....i was being HIGHLY sarcastic because Essex was one of the biggest Sewell backers and doom throwers/whiners on the forums after we didn't draft him.  How quickly people forget.

My post wasn't pointed at you, rather along the same lines. I wanted Sewell and I wanted Chase. Would have been fine with either, but in the last few weeks went on the Chase train. I think he will make very happy we did not go OT and all the hand wringing over the pick will seem ludicrous.
Reply/Quote
(07-13-2021, 12:41 AM)bfine32 Wrote: Like most teams we're in trouble if one of our bookends goes down; but we've got options:

Rief can play LT

Jackson can play OT

Johnson is much better at OT than inside

Spain can play on the exterior

Isaiah Prince has a couple starts under his belt

The undersized rookie has talent.

Stop making sense. You'll incite a riot.
Reply/Quote
(07-14-2021, 01:02 PM)bfine32 Wrote: albeit irrelevant

You'd know.
Reply/Quote
(07-12-2021, 11:19 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: Anyone else starting to become very concerned about our lack of depth at Offensive tackle?  our backup tackles have a total of six starts plus a 4th round rookie who played one game last season in college add in the injury history of Williams we really need to make a move before opening day for a veteran or Burrow could be in real trouble if either Reiff/Williams  go down.

I was concerned at the end of last year & I'm still concerned.
Reply/Quote
(07-12-2021, 11:19 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: Anyone else starting to become very concerned about our lack of depth at Offensive tackle?  our backup tackles have a total of six starts plus a 4th round rookie who played one game last season in college add in the injury history of Williams we really need to make a move before opening day for a veteran or Burrow could be in real trouble if either Reiff/Williams  go down.

Yep, it is a concern. Especially when you consider that Williams has only played 10 out of the last 32 games.

Carman could move outside to play LT,  but then who plays inside? One of last year's failures!

If I ran the front office, I'd have done more during the off season, and more last season and the year before. It would not be the team weakness that it is. It's a choice and the team made theirs.

Reply/Quote
(07-14-2021, 01:40 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Their depth at most positions is pretty bad.

Entire OL
QB
TE
DL
LB

I feel like the depth at DL is much better now. We shouldn’t have to trot out guys like Amani Bledsoe, Kahlil McKenzie, Cristian Covington, and Freedom Akinmoladun, anymore. Not with the additions of Ogunjobi, Shelvin, Sample, Ossai, etc.

Reply/Quote
(07-14-2021, 09:41 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: That is at tackle?  

Ya. Both tackle spots. Now...i can't guarantee that he started and stayed there for each game without going to GamePass and checking and i don't have time for that right now. For all the games he's listed as "S" (started) at tackle, they're 3-1. There are 2 losses where he's listed as "P" (played) at tackle and those are 46 and 62 snap games.

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(07-14-2021, 01:19 PM)ochocincos Wrote: I honestly am not highly confident a healthy Bengals team would win 9+ games.
That's how little I think of Zac Taylor's and Lou Anarumo's play calling.

In critical situations, moreso with the D (ala, the Cleveland game in Cincy last year), i would agree. The style they play could more easily lead to a loss. On offense, i'm not so concerned. I think Burrow has enough of a grasp that he can lead the offense as long as good enough skill guys are there. 

They definitely have enough skill on both sides of the ball to be competitive and .500ish +/- a couple games. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(07-14-2021, 07:50 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: I feel like the depth at DL is much better now. We shouldn’t have to trot out guys like Amani Bledsoe, Kahlil McKenzie, Cristian Covington, and Freedom Akinmoladun, anymore. Not with the additions of Ogunjobi, Shelvin, Sample, Ossai, etc.

I see Sample as more of a tweener. A Frostee Rucker or Jon Fanene type.
He might do alright.
Shelvin is a pure NT.
I'd like a better interior pass rusher than what the Bengals have.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(07-14-2021, 10:04 PM)ochocincos Wrote: I see Sample as more of a tweener. A Frostee Rucker or Jon Fanene type.
He might do alright.
Shelvin is a pure NT.
I'd like a better interior pass rusher than what the Bengals have.

Ogunjobi should get back to being a 5+ sack guy this season. Especially with Reader next to him eating up double teams. He’s obviously not going to be prime Geno, but our IDL should be much better than it’s been the last couple years.

Reply/Quote
(07-12-2021, 11:19 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: Anyone else starting to become very concerned about our lack of depth at Offensive tackle? our backup tackles have a total of six starts plus a 4th round rookie who played one game last season in college add in the injury history of Williams we really need to make a move before opening day for a veteran or Burrow could be in real trouble if either Reiff/Williams go down.

Hey but at least we went jamar chase round 1
Reply/Quote
(07-14-2021, 08:58 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Ya. Both tackle spots. Now...i can't guarantee that he started and stayed there for each game without going to GamePass and checking and i don't have time for that right now. For all the games he's listed as "S" (started) at tackle, they're 3-1. There are 2 losses where he's listed as "P" (played) at tackle and those are 46 and 62 snap games.

Ok, that is at least a little closer to what I thought.  3-1 as a starter is best on the team.  Kind of funny.  Still, I think they need a veteran swing tackle as I would rather not mess with Carman his rookie season if we can avoid it.  Maybe the team is more confident in D'Ante Smith, but I would really much rather have a veteran there.  
Reply/Quote
(07-13-2021, 11:05 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: You figure Fred Johnson is the first tackle off the bench.  I know he was awful last year, but I am giving him a pass because he wasn't suited to play guard and I think he, like many others, was caught by surprise that there was actually a season and was not in shape.  

I don't have the numbers to back this up (and this would be a GREAT bar bet), but I believe the games he has started for the Bengals at Tackle, they are 4-0.  That may not be correct, but I think I heard that on one of the podcasts.

He is at least a solid backup.  Losing Adeniji really hurts, though, and I could see the team signing one more veteran before the season.  I have no idea if Smith is ready to come in and play as I know very little about him.  

I personally would like to avoid Carman moving to tackle and hope he develops in to a stalwart at RG.  

I suppose it shows that they can win with (despite?) him.
Reply/Quote
The Depth Chart on OL is VERY different this season than from last Season.

C: Hopkins - Price - Hill

G: Spain - Carman - XSF . Hill - Jordan

T: Williams - Reiff - Johnson - Smith - Prince

Obviously this will shake out a bit because we aren't going to keep 12 OL.
Reply/Quote
(07-13-2021, 01:39 PM)BigPapaKain Wrote: Wouldn't have changed the lack of depth the Bengals have at OL.

It's been said before already but it is worth reiterating - most teams OL depth isn't great; Cincy doesn't have a unique problem here. Except that our starters are a huge question mark.

Bringing in Sewell over chAse wouldn’t have changed the depth lmao. Ur telling me if the bengals added Sewell it would t change there depth I’m lol literally
Reply/Quote