Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
One injury away from possible disaster
(07-15-2021, 05:30 PM)SadFaceBengal15 Wrote: Bringing in Sewell over chAse wouldn’t have changed the depth lmao.  Ur telling me if the bengals added Sewell it would t change there depth I’m lol literally

I can't tell if you had a stroke typing this or what, but I'll answer what I think you meant to ask.

No, it wouldn't have because he'd of likely been playing guard his rookie season or they wouldn't have signed Reiff, ergo our depth (i.e: not starters) would still be bad.

Call an ambulance if you smell toast.
Reply/Quote
(07-15-2021, 05:30 PM)SadFaceBengal15 Wrote: Bringing in Sewell over chAse wouldn’t have changed the depth lmao.  Ur telling me if the bengals added Sewell it would t change there depth I’m lol literally

(07-15-2021, 06:25 PM)BigPapaKain Wrote: I can't tell if you had a stroke typing this or what, but I'll answer what I think you meant to ask.

No, it wouldn't have because he'd of likely been playing guard his rookie season or they wouldn't have signed Reiff, ergo our depth (i.e: not starters) would still be bad.

Call an ambulance if you smell toast.

I thought maybe SFB's post was one of those chain posts where everyone tries to finish the words...

Lets try it.. finish the word and and start a new word.

Mike Brown is a p...
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(07-15-2021, 03:47 PM)Joelist Wrote: The Depth Chart on OL is VERY different this season than from last Season.

C: Hopkins - Price - Hill

G: Spain - Carman - XSF . Hill - Jordan

T: Williams - Reiff - Johnson - Smith - Prince

Obviously this will shake out a bit because we aren't going to keep 12 OL.

Very true.  It is not only different, but BETTER.  Especially at the guard position.  I may be alone on this island, but I would consider releasing (trade?) XSF to release some funds for another veteran tackle.  Prince will most likely be a PS guy again, but I think they will keep Smith, given his fourth round selection status and length.  
Reply/Quote
You know your team is not deep when you’re already discussing WD-40, bailing wire, and duct tape solutions before the season even starts. This seems to me to be a Front Office issue which has persisted for decades. Other teams seem to “get“ this so why can’t Cincinnati?

How many times, for example, do we see a player from Pittsburgh or New England go down for injury and their backup comes in and plays nearly as well? Lots, and I am sick of it, but the Steelers have this down to a science. “Coming in for the injured David DeCastro is Guardy Noname from the Billings Junior College for Girls where he majored in basket weaving and played one season.” What happens? Guardy Noname pancakes Geno Atkins on the next play and LeVeon Bell blows through the hole for yet another first down.
Reply/Quote
(07-18-2021, 08:27 AM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: You know your team is not deep when you’re already discussing WD-40, bailing wire, and duct tape solutions before the season even starts. This seems to me to be a Front Office issue which has persisted for decades. Other teams seem to “get“ this so why can’t Cincinnati?

How many times, for example, do we see a player from Pittsburgh or New England go down for injury and their backup comes in and plays nearly as well? Lots, and I am sick of it, but the Steelers have this down to a science. “Coming in for the injured David DeCastro is Guardy Noname from the Billings Junior College for Girls where he majored in basket weaving and played one season.” What happens? Guardy Noname pancakes Geno Atkins on the next play and LeVeon Bell blows through the hole for yet another first down.

Bengals make a move for Guardy Noname in the offseason, he comes to Cincinnati and what does he do?! Get pancaked and injured by week 5.
Reply/Quote
We're pretty much where we were at the start of last season.

We need starters at several OL positions and we've got ... lots of guard competition.
Reply/Quote
(07-15-2021, 03:47 PM)Joelist Wrote: The Depth Chart on OL is VERY different this season than from last Season.

C: Hopkins - Price - Hill

G: Spain - Carman - XSF . Hill - Jordan

T: Williams - Reiff - Johnson - Smith - Prince

Obviously this will shake out a bit because we aren't going to keep 12 OL.
I view it different, we have roughly 80%   of players still on roster from last year bad Oline , we added just 1 FA and only drafted one Oline out of our first 5 pics in this past draft. Tackle still looks very concerning
Reply/Quote
(07-19-2021, 05:36 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: I view it different, we have roughly 80%   of players still on roster from last year bad Oline , we added just 1 FA and only drafted one Oline out of our first 5 pics in this past draft. Tackle still looks very concerning

We might be around 80% holdovers if you count the PS guys.  Realistically, they will be at 60% holdovers assuming they keep 10 and Reiff and the draft picks make it.  40% turnover is realistic for a position group overhaul in one off-season.

I'm not opposed to upgrading, but there aren't any really good options available right now.  Okung is probably the best and had a 73 grade last year, but has only played 13 games die to injury the past two years and made $13 mil last year.  His recent comments were that several teams had interest, but he wasn't dropping his price tag.
Reply/Quote
Since 1990 this team seems like it ALWAYS finds a way to shoot themselves in the foot. Most talking heads predicting 5-12.
Reply/Quote
"King of the Jungle, Ma!"

[Image: 390b65d9f6585b7504e0aa3a446b81e4--king-l...e-book.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(07-12-2021, 11:19 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: Anyone else starting to become very concerned about our lack of depth at Offensive tackle?  our backup tackles have a total of six starts plus a 4th round rookie who played one game last season in college add in the injury history of Williams we really need to make a move before opening day for a veteran or Burrow could be in real trouble if either Reiff/Williams  go down.

If I have a major concern it is lack of depth at OT and WR. Behind Reiff and Jonah we have Prince ugh.

Carman helps OT though as he can swing out to OT if someone goes down.

Love our starters at WR, might be the best in the NFL, but after them we got Tate, Thomas and Taylor.

I guess I like our UDFA Morgan but still would like to better off as far as depth at both of these positions.
Reply/Quote
(07-13-2021, 03:01 PM)plantmanky Wrote: My biggest complaint with the offseason was that they didn't address backup QB.  Specifically I thought they should have made a run for Alex Smith.  I know he has his leg issue and more than likely going to retire regardless, but an experienced backup QB could help Burrow a lot.  If Burrow goes down, or has to miss early in season, this team is done before we start.  I think it is something that needs addressed, and maybe it will be when camp cuts happen.

I was afraid this might be an issue.
Reply/Quote
(08-05-2021, 03:10 PM)plantmanky Wrote: I was afraid this might be an issue.

Brandon Allen has been play well though and Alex Smith was going to retire anyways.

At least one of my concerns that I had doesn't seem as bad right now in WR depth. 

Sounds like both Taylor and Tate have been playing very well.

OL depth is still the biggest weakness, we will see if we add another guy and Pollack can coach up our depth.

As we saw with Reiff going down and putting Jordan, Price and D'Ante Smith in there, it could be bad, real bad.
Reply/Quote
(07-23-2021, 02:35 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: If I have a major concern it is lack of depth at OT and WR. Behind Reiff and Jonah we have Prince ugh.

Carman helps OT though as he can swing out to OT if someone goes down.

Love our starters at WR, might be the best in the NFL, but after them we got Tate, Thomas and Taylor.

I guess I like our UDFA Morgan but still would like to better off as far as depth at both of these positions.

I actually like our depth at WR.. Veterans that also can add to special teams... I prefer veteran backups not a few rookies 
Reply/Quote
(08-05-2021, 07:30 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: I actually like our depth at WR.. Veterans that also can add to special teams... I prefer veteran backups not a few rookies 

Yeah, like I said above this concern has definitely eased since I said that months back. 

I like what Trent Taylor and Auden Tate have been doing.
Reply/Quote
(07-12-2021, 11:27 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: Or linebacker, or defensive end, or QB….

When you’re a bottom of the barrel team injuries can be devastating. We’ve lacked depth for years.

Right but the solution is to sign some guys....GOOD guys
Reply/Quote
(07-12-2021, 11:27 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: Or linebacker, or defensive end, or QB….

When you’re a bottom of the barrel team injuries can be devastating. We’ve lacked depth for years.

^^^^ This. 
Reply/Quote
I'd like to see what things look like once the offense goes off script and can call plays.
Reply/Quote
(07-16-2021, 09:02 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: Very true.  It is not only different, but BETTER.  Especially at the guard position.  I may be alone on this island, but I would consider releasing (trade?) XSF to release some funds for another veteran tackle.  Prince will most likely be a PS guy again, but I think they will keep Smith, given his fourth round selection status and length.  

Bengals are still sitting on $19m in cap space, they don't need to release some funds. There's only 5 OL in all of football making more per year than the Bengals currently have available.

The crazy thing is if they had signed Corey Linsley and Joe Thuney and cut Hopkins, Price, and XSF (who you wouldn't need if you signed those two)... they'd only be roughly $900k over the cap. So basically just don't sign Ricardo Allen or Samaje Perine and you're golden.

Just such a wasted FA period.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(08-05-2021, 11:59 PM)Joelist Wrote: I'd like to see what things look like once the offense goes off script and can call plays.

Yeah, we are in installation mode on Offense right now.
Reply/Quote