Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Open Coaching Positions
Technically the Bengals still have several open jobs now.

QB Coach
DL Coach
DB Coach

Kevin Coyle is obviously a name thrown around for DB coach, but it isn't official yet.

Any other ideas for QB and DL?
Reply/Quote
(01-17-2016, 03:50 PM)RoyleRedlegs Wrote: Technically the Bengals still have several open jobs now.

QB Coach
DL Coach
DB Coach

Kevin Coyle is obviously a name thrown around for DB coach, but it isn't official yet.

Do teams sometimes have a coordinator double as a position coach? I could see Zampese staying the QB coach as well. What about Tomsula or is he more of a 3-4 guy/product of JSmith?
[Image: what%2Bday%2Bis%2Bit.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(01-17-2016, 03:53 PM)MrRager Wrote: Do teams sometimes have a coordinator double as a position coach? I could see Zampese staying the QB coach as well. What about Tomsula or is he more of a 3-4 guy/product of JSmith?

Tomsula is a 3-4 guy.

Some coaches have but it's not always the best move as there's a lot to do as a coordinator. 
Very rarely do you see coaches double dip. 
Reply/Quote
(01-17-2016, 03:50 PM)RoyleRedlegs Wrote: Technically the Bengals still have several open jobs now.

QB Coach
DL Coach
DB Coach

Don't know any names to put out there, but I gotta think all those jobs would be pretty coveted.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
Hopefully we find some quality guys to bring up. Who knows, we are losing coordinators like crazy lately. One of these new hires could be our OC or DC within a few years.
[Image: 1jKEzj4.png]
Formerly known as Judge on the Bengals.com message board.
Reply/Quote
(01-17-2016, 03:55 PM)McC Wrote: Don't know any names to put out there, but I gotta think all those jobs would b pretty coveted.

Yep and I think each one will be carefully picked.
Part of the reason I think we didn't extend Hayes (especially) was the lack of production from young DL "talent"
Thompson, Still, Hunt, Clarke, Moch....some quality draft picks invested in the DL with little to no return. 
Reply/Quote
(01-17-2016, 03:57 PM)RoyleRedlegs Wrote: Yep and I think each one will be carefully picked.
Part of the reason I think we didn't extend Hayes (especially) was the lack of production from young DL "talent"
Thompson, Still, Hunt, Clarke, Moch....some quality draft picks invested in the DL with little to no return. 

Yep.  I wonder if we'll ever get the why's of these lateral coaching moves.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

Reply/Quote
(01-17-2016, 03:59 PM)McC Wrote: Yep.  I wonder if we'll ever get the why's of these lateral coaching moves.

Doubtful. We seem to try and not burn coaching bridges.
Likely just get a "it was the right time" 
Reply/Quote
Seems like the Bengals coaching staff is the hottest place right now in the NFL to hire your new head coach, or assistant coaches.
[Image: 1jKEzj4.png]
Formerly known as Judge on the Bengals.com message board.
Reply/Quote

QB Coach
DL Coach
DB Coach

Where do I send in my application?
#WhoDey
#RuleTheJungle
#TheyGottaPlayUs
#WeAreYourSuperBowl

Reply/Quote
(01-17-2016, 04:02 PM)RoyleRedlegs Wrote: Doubtful. We seem to try and not burn coaching bridges.
Likely just get a "it was the right time" 

I'm sure you're right.  Also, wouldn't really be PC either.

Maybe some good candidates are still coaching their teams right now.  What do you think?  You're looking at guys with expired contracts or Ass't position coaches, maybe.

Reply/Quote

QB Coach
DL Coach
DB Coach

Lap was on the radio talking about it a bit the other day: Link (about 10 minutes long)

Some things he mentioned:

-It might make sense for Urban to slide over to QB coach (which he did in Philly before joining the Bengals). That leaves a WR coach, which Dave says is easier to find a competent, young, hungry guy for that job.

-Robert Livingston might have a shot at the junior DB coaching spot (was a scout for Bengals, then elevated to a quality control spot on Defense and ST).

-Tim Lewis maybe for lead DB coach.

-Haslett and Guenther have ties.
Reply/Quote

QB Coach
DL Coach
DB Coach

Wild concept here for QB coach: Peyton Manning if he retires. His football brain would be welcome on my team anytime he would want. I probably couldn't be less realistic with this though. And great players don't always make great coaches, but with Peyton, I can't imagine him not becoming a great coach if he chose to go in that direction. Ken Anderson crosses my mind, but he's got Steeler cooties on him ...... Otherwise, I wonder whose contract is up on teams still in the playoffs - like Greg Knapp. Then there are coaches like Nick Sirianni, Mike Neu, etc that have worked with good QBs ?? Any potential out of the college ranks?

DL coach: Tim Krumrie has been out for several years now, and I've always wondered what happened why. Someone like him, that has his football mentality, would be my first choice possibly. Getting the most out of the bottom 4 or 5 has to be a requirement for sure (actually upgrading our bottom 4 or 5 first). Filling this open spot is huge.

I like Kevin Coyle a lot, but not if he's only taking it as a job while biding his time to move on elsewhere as soon as he could. Greg Jackson might be a better long-term fit. And I say this knowing a lot of position coaches have aspirations of moving up. My first choice is to have someone good, and happy, at what they do.
Some say you can place your ear next to his, and hear the ocean ....

[Image: 6QSgU8D.gif?1]
Reply/Quote
(01-17-2016, 04:11 PM)McC Wrote: I'm sure you're right.  Also, wouldn't really be PC either.

Maybe some good candidates are still coaching their teams right now.  What do you think?  You're looking at guys with expired contracts or Ass't position coaches, maybe.

I'd be looking for a young DL who can relate and motivate the incoming guys
Reply/Quote
(01-17-2016, 04:19 PM)gobobro Wrote: Lap was on the radio talking about it a bit the other day: Link (about 10 minutes long)

-It might make sense for Urban to slide over to QB coach (which he did in Philly before joining the Bengals). That leaves a WR coach, which Dave says is easier to find a competent, young, hungry guy for that job.

-Robert Livingston might have a shot at the junior DB coaching spot (was a scout for Bengals, then elevated to a quality control spot on Defense and ST).

-Tim Lewis maybe for lead DB coach.

-Haslett and Guenther have ties.

Good post.

Lap didn't happen to offer any theories for the coaching shake up, did he?  I know it really impacts nothing but I am curious as hell about this thing.

Reply/Quote
One would think they would be lining up for these jobs knowing that all our coaches get catapulted into better slots quickly it seems.

Although it should have happened quicker for Zimmer.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(01-17-2016, 04:43 PM)McC Wrote: Good post.

Lap didn't happen to offer any theories for the coaching shake up, did he?  I know it really impacts nothing but I am curious as hell about this thing.

Said Koetter was Marvin's college roommate, that they're all friends, and Jay probably went to help a friend. 
Reply/Quote
(01-17-2016, 04:19 PM)gobobro Wrote: Lap was on the radio talking about it a bit the other day: Link (about 10 minutes long)

-It might make sense for Urban to slide over to QB coach (which he did in Philly before joining the Bengals).
That leaves a WR coach, which Dave says is easier to find a competent, young, hungry guy for that job.

Honestly, I was hoping Urban would take over that job when we hired him.

All he did in Philly is coach Mike Vick to the best season of his career and McNabb to his best season in 3 years.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
As far as DL coach...there are some interesting asst's that they could look at, like veteran coach Jim Washburn, or others like Clyde Simmons (StL) and Dwaine Board (Sea).
Reply/Quote
(01-17-2016, 05:12 PM)gobobro Wrote: Said Koetter was Marvin's college roommate, that they're all friends, and Jay probably went to help a friend. 

Thanx.  So, no sense of firings  or jumping ship or anything like that.

Reply/Quote