Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Other O-Line options in round 1
If we're looking to trade back in the first round then we need to be talking about Vera-Tucker.

Whilst most think he'll be a G there are some who think he may be able to stick at LT - his comparison is Isaiah Wynn.

It might be unconventional to go G in the first round and T in the 2nd but if we concentrate on D in free agency (say extending Bates, re-signing or replacing Lawson and WJIII) and then seek to trade back (say Chase was gone and someone like SF was after a QB) then I'd be on board with Vera-Tucker in the first and Cosmi in the second - although I'm not sure if two rookies on the O-line is optimal.
Reply/Quote
(02-24-2021, 12:03 PM)TJHoushmandzadeh Wrote: If we're looking to trade back in the first round then we need to be talking about Vera-Tucker.

Whilst most think he'll be a G there are some who think he may be able to stick at LT - his comparison is Isaiah Wynn.

It might be unconventional to go G in the first round and T in the 2nd but if we concentrate on D in free agency (say extending Bates, re-signing or replacing Lawson and WJIII) and then seek to trade back (say Chase was gone and someone like SF was after a QB) then I'd be on board with Vera-Tucker in the first and Cosmi in the second - although I'm not sure if two rookies on the O-line is optimal.

Not sure if you meant to imply this, but I'd really be nervous about only getting OL upgrades in the draft. As others have said in other threads, the draft is more of a crapshoot, so it's easy to miss on a prospect. I don't want to gamble completely on draft picks coming in and upgrading the OL. I'd like to add a good, established FA or two.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(02-24-2021, 12:29 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Not sure if you meant to imply this, but I'd really be nervous about only getting OL upgrades in the draft. As others have said in other threads, the draft is more of a crapshoot, so it's easy to miss on a prospect. I don't want to gamble completely on draft picks coming in and upgrading the OL. I'd like to add a good, established FA or two.

Yeah, it wouldn't be more my first choice strategy as I wouldn't want to be pencilling in two rookies starting on the O-line. A combination of rookie learning curves and not fully knowing what you're getting. But we don't know how free agency will play out. It looks likely that Moton will be tagged and Scherff extended. Maybe some of the potential cap casualties don't get released either as the cap shifts upwards - all of a sudden you could be faced with a situation where you have to pay silly money for the one or two quality remaining O-line options whilst bargains abound at other positions of need.

Or maybe they get Thuney but decide to upgrade the other G position anyway. I think the most likely scenario is they sign a vet who could hold the position down for a year or two but wouldn't preclude them from upgrading in the draft.
Reply/Quote
(02-24-2021, 01:23 PM)TJHoushmandzadeh Wrote: Yeah, it wouldn't be more my first choice strategy as I wouldn't want to be pencilling in two rookies starting on the O-line. A combination of rookie learning curves and not fully knowing what you're getting. But we don't know how free agency will play out. It looks likely that Moton will be tagged and Scherff extended. Maybe some of the potential cap casualties don't get released either as the cap shifts upwards - all of a sudden you could be faced with a situation where you have to pay silly money for the one or two quality remaining O-line options whilst bargains abound at other positions of need.

Or maybe they get Thuney but decide to upgrade the other G position anyway. I think the most likely scenario is they sign a vet who could hold the position down for a year or two but wouldn't preclude them from upgrading in the draft.

I'd love to get a top-tier guy like Moton, Thuney, or Scherff.
However, I still think there will be a handful of other FAs in the next tier that are still better than what the Bengals have, as the Bengals have a lot of low-tier guys starting.
Some guys I'd consider in that next tier: Daryl Williams, Rick Wagner, Larry Warford, Austin Blythe, Matt Feiler among others.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(02-24-2021, 01:42 PM)ochocincos Wrote: I'd love to get a top-tier guy like Moton, Thuney, or Scherff.
However, I still think there will be a handful of other FAs in the next tier that are still better than what the Bengals have, as the Bengals have a lot of low-tier guys starting.
Some guys I'd consider in that next tier: Daryl Williams, Rick Wagner, Larry Warford, Austin Blythe, Matt Feiler among others.

I think the youngest amongst those next tier down will be 29 so maybe they combine them with someone who will need a bit of development time like James Hudson.
Reply/Quote
(02-24-2021, 12:29 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Not sure if you meant to imply this, but I'd really be nervous about only getting OL upgrades in the draft. As others have said in other threads, the draft is more of a crapshoot, so it's easy to miss on a prospect. I don't want to gamble completely on draft picks coming in and upgrading the OL. I'd like to add a good, established FA or two.

How about we sign Thuney and trade our #5 to New Orleams for Ramcyzk and #28. Then at 28 we take  Tucker to play RG??
Reply/Quote
(02-24-2021, 04:38 PM)pulses Wrote: How about we sign Thuney and trade our #5 to New Orleams for Ramcyzk and #28. Then at 28 we take  Tucker to play RG??

Ramczyk is in the final year of his deal and will cost $11 mill against the cap this year.
Thuney is probably going to cost $12-15 mill APY.
Will Bengals have the money to pay $23-26 mill toward just two OL, especially if they pay Lawson and/or WJ3?
Also, what if Ramczyk decides to walk after this year? You'd essentially go from Pick 5 to 28 for just a 1-year rental.
Is that a risk you want to take?
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(02-24-2021, 05:00 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Ramczyk is in the final year of his deal and will cost $11 mill against the cap this year.
Will Bengals have the money to pay $23-26 mill toward just two OL, especially if they pay Lawson and/or WJ3?
Also, what if Ramczyk decides to walk after this year? You'd essentially go from Pick 5 to 28 for just a 1-year rental.

No. I wouldn’t. I remember that draft I was pounding the table that our pick was a little to high to take Ramczyk. Raises hand and admits I was wrong. I so wish we have taken him then

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply/Quote
(02-24-2021, 05:00 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Ramczyk is in the final year of his deal and will cost $11 mill against the cap this year.

I wouldn't do the trade UNLESS he signs an extension and I don't believe we will sign WJ3 he is going elsewhere for more money than we will be willing to pay. WE can draft a CB this year sometime and sign someone to help this year and then draft a CB in the 1st next yr
Reply/Quote
(02-24-2021, 07:57 PM)pulses Wrote: I wouldn't do the trade UNLESS he signs an extension and I don't believe we will sign WJ3 he is going elsewhere for more money than we will be willing to pay. WE can draft a CB this year sometime and sign someone to help this year and then draft a CB in the 1st next yr

Can you put a clause like that in a trade agreement to sign an extension post-trade? I don't think you can. 
You'd probably have to have an agreement with the Saints to sign Ramczyk to the extension you want, and then trade him to you (like sign-and-trade in NBA).
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(02-24-2021, 08:04 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Can you put a clause like that in a trade agreement to sign an extension post-trade? I don't think you can. 
You'd probably have to have an agreement with the Saints to sign Ramczyk to the extension you want, and then trade him to you (like sign-and-trade in NBA).

That'd be fine too, however we would have to do it to get the deal done. And I think NO would consider a deal like this. They are another team that drafts OL really well and they need cap space and a new QB. I'm thinking they would like Trey Lance.
Reply/Quote
(02-24-2021, 12:04 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: I’m a happily married straight man, but he floats my boat Big Grin

[Image: Eu2hNNHVcAADHkP?format=jpg&name=900x900]

Well he does have dreads. I'm sure I'll have him in one of my mocks

Who's the guy in the middle that makes Slim Reaper look like he has tree trunks?
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(02-22-2021, 05:08 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: We absolutely do need a WR though. Whatever has posted the numbers several times now as far as where Burrow ranked in having to throw to covered WR’s, and it ain’t pretty. I don’t know why folks are choosing to ignore that when it’s being laid out for them to see in black and white. It’s not as simple as just saying “we already have 2 good WR’s.” Fact is they just don’t get open though. Aren’t you guys sick of watching our opponents constantly have guys running wide open, and our receivers have to fight for every inch and every ball? I am.

We have Arguably the best slot in the game and maybe offensive rookie of the year in higgins if Burrow doesn’t go down. I don’t think getting open is a problem guy... protecting Burrow is our biggest problem. If u don’t believe me ask Joe Burrow.
U say ur sick of seeing opponents wrs running wide open against us lol bruh aren’t u sick of seeing our QBs get destroyed lol. If I see opponents wide outs running wide open against us I think we need to play better defense or get better corners (which also is a bigger need than wide receiver) but what I don’t think is man we need better receivers lol
Reply/Quote
(02-24-2021, 11:56 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Well he does have dreads. I'm sure I'll have him in one of my mocks

Who's the guy in the middle that makes Slim Reaper look like he has tree trunks?

Justin Jefferson. Not sure I agree Smith looks any bigger though. They both look like high schoolers next to Chase lol

Reply/Quote
(02-25-2021, 12:21 AM)SadFaceBengal15 Wrote: We have Arguably the best slot in the game and maybe offensive rookie of the year in higgins if Burrow doesn’t go down. I don’t think getting open is a problem guy... protecting Burrow is our biggest problem. If u don’t believe me ask Joe Burrow.
U say ur sick of seeing opponents wrs running wide open against us lol bruh aren’t u sick of seeing our QBs get destroyed lol. If I see opponents wide outs running wide open against us I think we need to play better defense or get better corners (which also is a bigger need than wide receiver) but what I don’t think is man we need better receivers lol

Tee as a potential OROY? That’s certainly a hot take. He had absolutely no chance even if Burrow had played the entire season. Not with guys like Herbert, Jefferson, and Wirfs playing out of their minds the way they did. Tee had a nice rookie season, but c’mon...

Reply/Quote
(02-22-2021, 04:10 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Great, so we might end up with the 3rd best olineman in a year we had a top 5 pick. That sounds like an absolute disaster to me.

If the 3rd best OL were the 3rd best prospect overall you'd be thrilled.  Darrishaw and Slater are solid prospects, but just options if they do trade down. I'm opposed to taking them at 5 with the "they weren't going to be there when we picked next" theory. 

The bigger issue is this draft is ripe with QB prospects and teams will pony up to trade up. It takes two, but those deals will be there.  Sewell is the 2nd best prospect and top option for me, regardless of signing a OT and not wanting to move William's you take him unless you're bowled over.  Ive actually got trade as 2nd option. If it's a few spots I'd rather stack capital and still land one of Smith, Slater, Darrishaw, Pitts or even a defensive BPA.  Chase is my 3rd option based on potential and chemistry with Burrow.  
Reply/Quote
(02-24-2021, 01:23 AM)pulses Wrote: The best Guard in round 2 if he is there would be Tucker.

I am assuming Vera-Tucker is taken in the first...
Reply/Quote
I just don't get why people think we are going to spend 12 to 15 million a year on Thuney/ guard. It's like i don't know you people
Reply/Quote
(02-25-2021, 06:42 PM)yang Wrote: I just don't get why people think we are going to spend 12 to 15 million a year on Thuney/ guard.  It's like i don't know you people

Seems far fetched I know, but it is what we have been hearing. That our FO is interested in Thuney and he is interested.

I think Warford is more likely if he isn't out of shape. Will be much cheaper if we are going for a Guard.
Reply/Quote
(02-25-2021, 05:44 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: I am assuming Vera-Tucker is taken in the first...

I proposed the other day of trading #5 to NO for Ramcyzk and 28. saving them cap space and they could grab a QB. We could then take the best OL at 28. We would have to sign Ramcyzk to extension before the trade tho.
Reply/Quote