Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Bench AJ start Ross
(10-07-2020, 10:34 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: 4th qtr, Bengals down by 5 on the 35yd line. Hut hut, Burrow drops back, scans the field. Ross is a step ahead of the receiver heading to endzone and Joe throws the ball. Do you have confidence he comes down with it? Games 1 & 2 says no.

My confidence in Ross will be set after 3 plays are run for him. That's about all it takes to see if you've got good Ross or bad Ross. 

Mix in a run and a couple primary routes and you know about where his head is. 

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(10-07-2020, 03:21 PM)KillerGoose Wrote: What you’re saying simply isn’t true. The Saints are a perfect example of this. Drew Brees has only completed 1 pass that traveled over 35 yards in the air since 2017. Working the intermediate game, working the seams is much more important than hitting 45+ yard throws.

Most teams don’t have their quarterbacks throw a ton of deep balls. It is typically short and intermediate passes.

But “BUrroW cANt HIt THe dEEp bALL!!!”

Reply/Quote
(10-07-2020, 09:28 AM)Sled21 Wrote: Enough with the Ross should be starting over Erickson. Erickson plays WR and Special teams. He returns punts and is a gunner on the other side. Ross has one job, and he can't do it. It doesn't matter how fast he is if he can't catch. This is not a track meet.

Let's be positive now... we can use Ross to challenge our cheerleaders to some sprints on the sidelines to see who's the fastest. Maybe have ROSS vs the ENTIRE cheerleader squad with cheerleaders at every 5 yard intervals.. Wub

Gotta be creative to make him worth the 5 million puppies he's getting.
Reply/Quote
(10-07-2020, 11:26 PM)Bengalitis Wrote: Let's be positive now... we can use Ross to challenge our cheerleaders to some sprints on the sidelines to see who's the fastest. Maybe have ROSS vs the ENTIRE cheerleader squad with cheerleaders at every 5 yard intervals.. Wub

Maybe 3yds. A few of those hoes may be dragging. Ninja 

Reply/Quote
If Ross doesn't play another snap in a bengals uniform I would not be upset. Dude sucks. At least AJ commands the top corner leaving boyd and co with scrubs guarding them.

Sent from my BV9600 using Tapatalk
Reply/Quote
We are 1-0-1 with him deactivated why change a positive thing
Reply/Quote
(10-04-2020, 06:03 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Did I really just say that ?

Seriously as bad as I hate it, I think AJ is done. Yes I know he had a DPI or two on his plays today but it's not just those plays. He's lost a step and a half and just can't get back in the saddle.

You fail to see that the Marvin Era top draft picks of Ross and Price stink and both have been benched by Coach Taylor.  Sometimes Ross is a healthy scratch meaning Taylor considers him not talented enough to suit up for game.  Not only will they not bench AJ Green for Ross, they will not bench Erickson, Tate, and others for Ross.   

We have to accept this franchise made many bad top pick draft choices.   Ross can not catch.  Price can not block.  Ogbuehi could not block.  Fisher could not block.  Coach Taylors job is to Rebuild this team, and that means Good Bye and Adios to some picks Mike Brown, Duke Tobin and Marvin Lewis made. 

Ross stinks, and so does Price.  In all fairness they had major injuries and maybe those injuries keep them from being the players they were in college.  Still, others have taken Ross and Price job.  If AJ Green was not here, Ross still does not play because many others have moved ahead of him.  We need to stop living on the Draft Hype that came with Ross and Price, and accept they are close to not being in the NFL at all. 

Bengals ate the bad pick of Ogbuehi, and will have to eat the bad picks of Ross and Price. The best thing they can do is get rid of Ross and Price also in The NEW DEY Rebuild.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
(10-07-2020, 09:09 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: No one on here will admit that Ross would have more production if he had those same targets.  He at LEAST generates separation that others don't and can take the top off defenses.  

....and then drops the ball, or quits on the route. No thanks. I think it's time to ship his ass.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(10-07-2020, 06:43 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: And frankly, this information is why they are 1-2-1 instead of perhaps 3-1.  

They need to change this up rather quickly if they are to have a shot against Baltimore.  I sincerely hope they do and we aren't disappointed with another "we just need to play better" post game analysis.

Regarding Ross, I get what you are saying, but you could design 20 plays (I am sure they have them already) where even if he doesn't get the ball he can make a positive impact.  That impact is above and beyond what the rest of the WR corps can offer.  If they can't teach him the proper routes, etc, then that is largely on them IMHO.  Ross may not have the football acumen of a Green but he is a ridiculous talent.  We have seen that in flashes when he is healthy.  

We usually agree, but not here. Why is that on the coaches? He couldn't learn under Marvin either. He's an epic bust. That's pretty much it.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(10-04-2020, 08:45 PM)Bengalitis Wrote: I'll go with your comment on this one. 

Green is no longer a deep threat but still can catch. Use him wisely and we will dominate. Higgins and Thomas will be shinning along soon.

The issue is that using him wisely probably means using him in the slot (in recent years he was enjoying a lot of his success from the slot anyway) which will affect the usage of our best receiver, Boyd. What we need is an outside receiver who can stretch the field. This seems to be a big reason why Burrow hasn't had a successful throw more than 20 yards in the air. Ross can't catch, Green can't separate, Tate can't separate, Higgins is work in progress, Boyd is better on intermediate than deep routes.

I can see a 3rd round pick being spent on WR next year which is some ways crazy when many considered WR our deepest position this year and we spent a 2nd last year but I don't think the balance is quite right between different styles of receivers and it's getting to the stage where it would be a surprise if either of the former 1st round picks returned. Maybe there will be someone in FA instead - the draw of working with Burrow might open up a few more possibilities than usual.
Reply/Quote
(10-09-2020, 05:17 AM)Wyche Wrote: We usually agree, but not here. Why is that on the coaches? He couldn't learn under Marvin either. He's an epic bust. That's pretty much it.

I think the leash this season was incredibly short for him.  The worst I think he looked was the crossing route where he was open and the ball hit him in the hip because he wasn't looking.  Green has earned a lot more equity than Ross, but topping out at 15 MPH (according to the next gen stats) on a critical third down play was pathetic.  At least Ross still hits 21 MPH and maybe he and Burrow could build a deep threat.  Either something is wrong with Green or this is what he is now.  Ross could at least help draw coverage deep and open up the middle.

I know I am the vast minority here, but it just seems like this year they gave up on him very quickly. 
Reply/Quote
This is Zac Taylor's Bengals.... best players play. If Ross wants back in the lineup, he needs to step it up in practice, stop making excuses (he's ill again) and take his position back, just like Carlos. No more playing time based on draft position or what you did years ago.
Reply/Quote
Ross has done nothing to earn any playing time. He's done in Cincy. He's just injury insurance at this point.
Reply/Quote