Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Our Running Game Against The 31st Rushing Defense Today
(12-21-2015, 12:19 AM)RoyleRedlegs Wrote: Oh look the local Paul Alexander basher is in the hizzouse!
Ninja

No surprise that with one bad game in 14 you needed to pounce lol.

Hardly the OL fault. Hard to run block when the other team doesn't respect your QB. They had no fear of AJ throwing on them. Especially when AJ Green left. 
They sold out on the run

(12-21-2015, 12:51 AM)Shake n Blake Wrote: I agree on the run, but 4 sacks in 21 pass attempts? It does look like those quick release times from Dalton make the pass pro look better.

Yup.....but let's be honest....our run game hasn't been much all season long. ThumbsUp

.....and Royle....I've been on Anderson pretty much since I joined the boards, this year included. Wink

"Better send those refunds..."

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(12-21-2015, 01:05 PM)Wyche Wrote: Yup.....but let's be honest....our run game hasn't been much all season long. ThumbsUp

.....and Royle....I've been on Anderson pretty much since I joined the boards, this year included. Wink

Gio is averaging 4.9 yards per carry. 
Hill is averaging 3.2 yards per carry.
Maybe, it isn't the OL.

49ers just had their salad tossed by the Browns. 
We had AJ McCarron at QB. 
They paid no mind to the QB and pass game
Reply/Quote
(12-21-2015, 12:32 PM)kevin Wrote: You to Brutus....really......49ers were in the box all day long in run defense because of our pretty much a rookie QB in his first game....Bengals won the game and clinched play-offs and did not throw the kid QB to the wolves but instead had HUe and Dalton coach him up all game on sidelines and yes, they didn't ask out of him what would be asked of a veteran QB.....they are trying to build his confidence and get the 2 time college championship QB ready for NFL play-offs. 

I can't believe all the negativity after wnning and clinching play-offs....We have the # 4 offense and the # 2 defense....We have a SUPER BOWL DEFENSE and still many weapons on offense.....Negative Grinches will not steal my CHristmas....This is a day to be happy, WE Won. 

It's not necessarily negativity.  I'm happy we were able to come out of the 49ers game with a win considering it was our back up QB's first NFL start.  However, I am not happy with the way the offensive line played and like many others, have simply pointed out that they are going to have to play better to beat Denver.

This is not a time to rest on our laurels that we made the playoffs and beat the 49ers.  We need to keep trying to improve.
[Image: PApinhead-Sig-1_2.png]

Sig compliments of ExtraRadiohead
Reply/Quote
(12-21-2015, 12:32 PM)kevin Wrote: You to Brutus....really......49ers were in the box all day long in run defense because of our pretty much a rookie QB in his first game....Bengals won the game and clinched play-offs and did not throw the kid QB to the wolves but instead had HUe and Dalton coach him up all game on sidelines and yes, they didn't ask out of him what would be asked of a veteran QB.....they are trying to build his confidence and get the 2 time college championship QB ready for NFL play-offs. 

I can't believe all the negativity after wnning and clinching play-offs....We have the # 4 offense and the # 2 defense....We have a SUPER BOWL DEFENSE and still many weapons on offense.....Negative Grinches will not steal my CHristmas....This is a day to be happy, WE Won. 

Sometimes seeing the "Way" your team wins/loses is indicative of whats to come later if its not addressed now.

(12-21-2015, 02:09 PM)PApinhead Wrote: It's not necessarily negativity.  I'm happy we were able to come out of the 49ers game with a win considering it was our back up QB's first NFL start.  However, I am not happy with the way the offensive line played and like many others, have simply pointed out that they are going to have to play better to beat Denver.

This is not a time to rest on our laurels that we made the playoffs and beat the 49ers.  We need to keep trying to improve.

^This times a thousand!  ThumbsUp 
Reply/Quote
(12-21-2015, 08:44 AM)reuben.ahmed Wrote: So, just because you win, you have nothing to improve on? Seriously. The only time you can make this point is when the Superbowl was won. Complacency in life gets you nowhere. Jordan should have stopped at 1 championship. Actually he should have stopped before the first championship, he was GOAT without it.

There is a HUGE difference between complacency and the people on here acting like this team is doomed and the season is over. Is there places that need to be improved, of course there is, that's every NFL team after every game, every week. It's the people acting like this team has zero chance of winning when it just got done winning a game. Style points don't matter, wins do.

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

Reply/Quote
(12-21-2015, 01:31 PM)RoyleRedlegs Wrote: Gio is averaging 4.9 yards per carry. 
Maybe, it isn't the OL.

Gio is a shifty, slippery kinda runner that can easily get lost in traffic due to his size.  Hill is a north/south bullish kinda guy that needs decent holes opened up for him.  Those holes aren't there.  It's really pretty simple.  When Hill had his success, there were injuries everywhere, and we used a lot of Hewitt, and some unbalanced sets to spring him.  Now, I realize you want to keep weapons on the field, so if you're going to do that, you better be able to dominate the trenches.  I'm not so sure we can.

Reply/Quote
(12-21-2015, 12:19 AM)RoyleRedlegs Wrote: Oh look the local Paul Alexander basher is in the hizzouse!
Ninja

No surprise that with one bad game in 14 you needed to pounce lol.

Hardly the OL fault. Hard to run block when the other team doesn't respect your QB. They had no fear of AJ throwing on them. Especially when AJ Green left. 
They sold out on the run

This isn't the first game where the O-line has been bad.   Both Steelers games but the first games was a win because of the defense and in spite of the O line's inability to run block.  The Texans game the O-line played like garbage.  The O-line has played well at times this year.  What really bothers me and it is a trend for the past umpteen years is this line cannot play well against a top tier defense. I do believe Andre Smith needs to go this year and use his salary cap money on Marvin Jones.  I also believe they need to finally find a center in the top of the draft, but that doesn't mean anything.  This unit has three number one draft picks and two second round.  They should be better, but I blame that on the Maestro and his "UNIQUE" blocking schemes.  This unit should be lights out and they are not.
Reply/Quote
(12-22-2015, 10:55 AM)Bronxbengal Wrote: This isn't the first game where the O-line has been bad.   Both Steelers games but the first games was a win because of the defense and in spite of the O line's inability to run block.  The Texans game the O-line played like garbage.  The O-line has played well at times this year.  What really bothers me and it is a trend for the past umpteen years is this line cannot play well against a top tier defense. I do believe Andre Smith needs to go this year and use his salary cap money on Marvin Jones.  I also believe they need to finally find a center in the top of the draft, but that doesn't mean anything.  This unit has three number one draft picks and two second round.  They should be better, but I blame that on the Maestro and his "UNIQUE" blocking schemes.  This unit should be lights out and they are not.

I think Andre needs to go too, but we should use his salary cap money on George Iloka.
Reply/Quote
(12-21-2015, 01:31 PM)RoyleRedlegs Wrote: Gio is averaging 4.9 yards per carry. 
Maybe, it isn't the OL.

All that is true.  But Lap said that they had trouble when they just had 7 in the box.  

Lap said what appeared to happen is that SF jumped right on our O-line with a vengeance, 8 in the box and a different defensive scheme.  He said our O-line responded with tentativeness (which would be natural) and that was like blood in the water for the SF DL.  We never really recovered.

My concern is that we didn't make tactical and emotional adjustments at half time.

Then again not passing it once in the 4th quarter was sort of setting the line up.  And the decision worked, though it got dicey towards the end.  And San Francisco has generally done well defensively at home this year.

They'll have to have a different game plan for Denver, though.   And I expect them to.   The O-Line should be revved up to redeem themselves. 

Could be a heck of a game.
Reply/Quote
(12-22-2015, 10:55 AM)Bronxbengal Wrote: This isn't the first game where the O-line has been bad.   Both Steelers games but the first games was a win because of the defense and in spite of the O line's inability to run block.  The Texans game the O-line played like garbage.  The O-line has played well at times this year.  What really bothers me and it is a trend for the past umpteen years is this line cannot play well against a top tier defense. I do believe Andre Smith needs to go this year and use his salary cap money on Marvin Jones.  I also believe they need to finally find a center in the top of the draft, but that doesn't mean anything.  This unit has three number one draft picks and two second round.  They should be better, but I blame that on the Maestro and his "UNIQUE" blocking schemes.  This unit should be lights out and they are not.

One guy had a bad game in both of those games. One. Guy. 

That's not the entire OL fault but it shows how important having a strong unit across the board is. 

We have 3 guys who are among the best at their positions. One guy who has been in stretches.  We have one guy who is one of the worst at his position among full time starters.

If you watch when we struggle and where those struggles start, it is from the center position. We are weak there and teams attack it (well, smart teams do) and it puts strain on every other player to be perfect. 
Reply/Quote
(12-22-2015, 03:31 PM)3wt Wrote: All that is true.  But Lap said that they had trouble when they just had 7 in the box.  

Lap said what appeared to happen is that SF jumped right on our O-line with a vengeance, 8 in the box and a different defensive scheme.  He said our O-line responded with tentativeness (which would be natural) and that was like blood in the water for the SF DL.  We never really recovered.

My concern is that we didn't make tactical and emotional adjustments at half time.

Then again not passing it once in the 4th quarter was sort of setting the line up.  And the decision worked, though it got dicey towards the end.  And San Francisco has generally done well defensively at home this year.

They'll have to have a different game plan for Denver, though.   And I expect them to.   The O-Line should be revved up to redeem themselves. 

Could be a heck of a game.

Stacking the box isn't the only way you play the run over the pass.
The touchdown to Kroft is the perfect example. We keep extra blockers in when teams show blitz. SF didn't really stack but they showed blitz and the LBs had been playing hard downhill all game. So when they blitzed, we ran play action and released Kroft. The LBs were way over-aggressive on the run fake and the DB never saw Kroft release. 
You can play the run hard with 7 in the box just by how you react. The LBs were going downhill all day. There was no fear of being beat by a pass. 
Reply/Quote
(12-22-2015, 05:08 PM)RoyleRedlegs Wrote: One guy had a bad game in both of those games. One. Guy. 

That's not the entire OL fault but it shows how important having a strong unit across the board is. 

We have 3 guys who are among the best at their positions. One guy who has been in stretches.  We have one guy who is one of the worst at his position among full time starters.

If you watch when we struggle and where those struggles start, it is from the center position. We are weak there and teams attack it (well, smart teams do) and it puts strain on every other player to be perfect. 

Need a Center 1st Round next Draft.
Reply/Quote
(12-22-2015, 05:21 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Need a Center 1st Round next Draft.

Unfortunately you can't do that, not after 1/2 OT last year.
You need to be a smart team and find talent in the mid to late rounds (Evan Boehm)
Reply/Quote
(12-22-2015, 05:25 PM)RoyleRedlegs Wrote: Unfortunately you can't do that, not after 1/2 OT last year.
You need to be a smart team and find talent in the mid to late rounds (Evan Boehm)

Well i guess that works too, i take it Boehm has upside unlike Bodine eh?
Reply/Quote
(12-22-2015, 05:36 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Well i guess that works too, i take it Boehm has upside unlike Bodine eh?

Gotta find a position coach to coach up those late round gems first..... Ninja

Reply/Quote
(12-22-2015, 05:36 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Well i guess that works too, i take it Boehm has upside unlike Bodine eh?

Yes. 

(12-22-2015, 05:45 PM)Wyche Wrote: Gotta find a position coach to coach up those late round gems first..... Ninja

Well it's less about coaching more about our lack of a scouting department. 
If you're depending on a coach to be scout and coach, that's a problem.
You can't coach up nothing. 
Reply/Quote
(12-22-2015, 05:45 PM)Wyche Wrote: Gotta find a position coach to coach up those late round gems first..... Ninja

Haha right on my fellow PA hater.

(12-22-2015, 05:57 PM)RoyleRedlegs Wrote: Yes. 

Well it's less about coaching more about our lack of a scouting department. 
If you're depending on a coach to be scout and coach, that's a problem.
You can't coach up nothing. 

I think Duke Tobin has done a great job scouting and Drafting players for us.

PA wanted Bodine, that is why they traded up in the 3rd to get him, Bodine was PA's guy.
Reply/Quote
(12-22-2015, 06:01 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Haha right on my fellow PA hater.

I think Duke Tobin has done a great job scouting and Drafting players for us.

PA wanted Bodine, that is why they traded up in the 3rd to get him, Bodine was PA's guy.

Because he has no one with authority to say "Paul, no. This is not the guy we need."

If you have a guy who scouts OL and voices a dissenting opinion, then maybe you get somewhere. 
But when one guy is essentially it, when he's wrong he's REALLY wrong.
Reply/Quote
(12-22-2015, 06:03 PM)RoyleRedlegs Wrote: Because he has no one with authority to say "Paul, no. This is not the guy we need."

If you have a guy who scouts OL and voices a dissenting opinion, then maybe you get somewhere. 
But when one guy is essentially it, when he's wrong he's REALLY wrong.

I am all for bringing in more scouts for all the positions, i just don't know if MB is.

That is the problem.

Still, the Bodine pick speaks volumes on PA's OL scouting. You know much better than me and you have
stated that Bodine does not have much upside and you have been correct so far. Cannot believe an OL
coach cannot see what you see or the scouting department.
Reply/Quote
(12-22-2015, 06:08 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: I am all for bringing in more scouts for all the positions, i just don't know if MB is.

That is the problem.

Still, the Bodine pick speaks volumes on PA's OL scouting. You know much better than me and you have
stated that Bodine does not have much upside and you have been correct so far. Cannot believe an OL
coach cannot see what you see or the scouting department.

He apparently won them over in interviews. 

Andrew Whitworth, Kevin Zeitler (everyone wanted DeCastro, myself included but Z has been better) Clint Boling, Kyle Cook, Anthony Collins....

He's done very well. Everyone has their misses. He just has to bear all the weight of his. 

His hits outweigh his misses. By a fairly good amount too. 
Reply/Quote