Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Our Running Game Against The 31st Rushing Defense Today
Rewatching the game on gamepass coaches film....so far the big issues in the run game: Poor WR blocking, center missing blocks, running into the strength of the defense. Hill just dove into a pile instead of the cutback lane that was there.....twice now. Finally a legit bad play. Pulling a guard on the GL...not always the best call when everyone is going to crash inside. Finally got our first touchdown.
Reply/Quote
Tight trips. 2 WR and a TE. Play is zone. Gio reads the defense crashing hard inside. Prepares to bounce it off tackle. The safety comes crashing to fill the gap, we have a free blocker in Sanu ready to take him on.
[Image: idf0ns.png]
[Image: r1rJoucf.png:large]

Finally what you get is Sanu missing Tartt and Tartt stopping what would have been Gio one on one on the outside with a CB. Sanu makes his block and it's a big gain or even 6
[Image: 2ykb71u.png]
Reply/Quote
(12-20-2015, 11:44 PM)milksheikh Wrote: 4 sacks, although most of it was on Macaroni holding ball too long..

Still uncharacteristic.

A couple of those were unblocked pass rushers...would've had to be quick indeed to get rid of the ball on those. 

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Second half now, so far two big missed blocks by the TE. Other than that blocking up front is fine. Sack #1. Play action and the throw isn't there and AJ is ran OOB when bails on a clean pocket. Navarro Bowman is just having a crazy good game. He was blowing everyone up. Just tip your cap to him. Still bad blocking from the center. Hewitt was not good this week.
Ate up here by the LB who sheds him and makes the stop for only 1.
[Image: 153nxu9.png]
Reply/Quote
Second sack, all on AJM failing to see the overload and adjust. Have to call out of this look.
[Image: mx1t3n.png]

Hill again misses the chance to cut left going right into traffic.
[Image: 34o4iyq.png]

Eli Harold runs down Gio from behind displaying crazy speed. Impressive defensive play.
TE misses another block, loss of yards.
Last two sacks:
AJ held it wayyyy too long. Nearly 5 seconds in the pocket before he was touched for the sack.
sack from the free rusher and AJM isn't athletic enough to do anything other than protect the ball and go down.
Reply/Quote
(12-22-2015, 07:24 PM)RoyleRedlegs Wrote: Second half now, so far two big missed blocks by the TE. Other than that blocking up front is fine. Sack #1. Play action and the throw isn't there and AJ is ran OOB when bails on a clean pocket. Navarro Bowman is just having a crazy good game. He was blowing everyone up. Just tip your cap to him. Still bad blocking from the center. Hewitt was not good this week.
Ate up here by the LB who sheds him and makes the stop for only 1.
[Image: 153nxu9.png]

Looks like he's prime for a cutback, behind Zeitler, and open field for 6-8 yards before contact.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(12-22-2015, 07:41 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Looks like he's prime for a cutback, behind Zeitler, and open field for 6-8 yards before contact.

Never gets the chance. LB gets him. 

Overall the OL wasn't the real problem. TE, WR and FB was. Several big plays were missed because of them. 
There were enough chances for big plays. We missed them. 
Reply/Quote
(12-22-2015, 07:47 PM)RoyleRedlegs Wrote: Never gets the chance. LB gets him. 

Overall the OL wasn't the real problem. TE, WR and FB was. Several big plays were missed because of them. 
There were enough chances for big plays. We missed them. 

To be fair, the SF LBs played like their hair was on fire.  Bowman impressed me, on a couple of plays.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Goes to show exactly how much Andy Dalton does in the game. Even before his huge step up in terms of play this year, he was always known for being a big presnap guy. He adjusts protections and gets everyone doing their job. Then when the ball does snap, he's consistently been the second fastest release in all of the NFL.

Those two things have a much bigger effect on the OL play than I think most realize/want to admit.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(12-22-2015, 07:50 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: To be fair, the SF LBs played like their hair was on fire.  Bowman impressed me, on a couple of plays.

(12-22-2015, 07:53 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Goes to show exactly how much Andy Dalton does in the game. Even before his huge step up in terms of play this year, he was always known for being a big presnap guy. He adjusts protections and gets everyone doing their job. Then when the ball does snap, he's consistently been the second fastest release in all of the NFL.

Those two things have a much bigger effect on the OL play than I think most realize/want to admit.

Bowman had our number. When AJM was making calls, so was he and he was never out of position. Man possessed on Sunday. Gotta just tip your cap to him. He wasn't getting stopped by anyone. Boling is one of the best pulling/2nd level guys in the league. Bowman went to school on him. NEVER see that. 
Reply/Quote
(12-22-2015, 07:50 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: To be fair, the SF LBs played like their hair was on fire.  Bowman impressed me, on a couple of plays.

(12-22-2015, 07:58 PM)RoyleRedlegs Wrote: Bowman had our number. When AJM was making calls, so was he and he was never out of position. Man possessed on Sunday. Gotta just tip your cap to him. He wasn't getting stopped by anyone. Boling is one of the best pulling/2nd level guys in the league. Bowman went to school on him. NEVER see that. 

Bowman has been very good for awhile now, doesn't surprise me.

Love the still looks BTW RRL. Great job and reps.
Reply/Quote
(12-22-2015, 06:11 PM)RoyleRedlegs Wrote: He apparently won them over in interviews. 

Andrew Whitworth, Kevin Zeitler (everyone wanted DeCastro, myself included but Z has been better) Clint Boling, Kyle Cook, Anthony Collins....

He's done very well. Everyone has their misses. He just has to bear all the weight of his. 

His hits outweigh his misses. By a fairly good amount too. 

I guess i am still miffed about PA starting Livings who was a turnstyle over Mathis who outplayed him
pretty much everytime. That one still is in my craw, but when he has talented players like Whit, Zeitler,
Boling and Andre Smith his O-lines looks pretty damn good.

But i guess every OL coach would have similar success.

I think McNally has helped him out too.

Sorry RRL, might have to keep it up to get me to like PA. I have had my problems with him for awhile.
Reply/Quote
(12-22-2015, 06:08 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: I am all for bringing in more scouts for all the positions, i just don't know if MB is.

That is the problem.

Still, the Bodine pick speaks volumes on PA's OL scouting. You know much better than me and you have
stated that Bodine does not have much upside and you have been correct so far. Cannot believe an OL
coach cannot see what you see or the scouting department.

We seem to be hitting home runs at other positions in the later rounds.  For Pete's sake and let me repeat, this line has three FIRST Round picks and TWO second round picks and PA cannot coach any better than this?  After awhile someone needs to be held accountable for the lackluster O line player.
Reply/Quote
(12-22-2015, 08:45 PM)Bronxbengal Wrote: We seem to be hitting home runs at other positions in the later rounds.  For Pete's sake and let me repeat, this line has three FIRST Round picks and TWO second round picks and PA cannot coach any better than this?  After awhile someone needs to be held accountable for the lackluster O line player.

Preachin to the choir here brother.

We need another 1st or 2nd rounder now to make PA accountable.
Reply/Quote
(12-22-2015, 08:45 PM)Bronxbengal Wrote: We seem to be hitting home runs at other positions in the later rounds.  For Pete's sake and let me repeat, this line has three FIRST Round picks and TWO second round picks and PA cannot coach any better than this?  After awhile someone needs to be held accountable for the lackluster O line player.

Smart guy, did you read any of what I wrote? The OL wasn't the problem. 
It's clear to anyone who knows dick about OL play, 4 of the 5 guys are very good the vast majority of their snaps. 
One guy isn't. 

WR missed blocks, TE missed blocks, FB missed blocks.

More missed blocks from them than the OL. 
Reply/Quote
(12-22-2015, 08:24 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: I guess i am still miffed about PA starting Livings who was a turnstyle over Mathis who outplayed him
pretty much everytime. That one still is in my craw, but when he has talented players like Whit, Zeitler,
Boling and Andre Smith his O-lines looks pretty damn good.

But i guess every OL coach would have similar success.

I think McNally has helped him out too.

Sorry RRL, might have to keep it up to get me to like PA. I have had my problems with him for awhile.

Mathis was a piece of shit here. He was lazy at practice. 

Boling was a 4th rounder.
Rich Braham was a throw away.
Kyle Cook was a UDFA.
Bobbie Williams became an All-Pro caliber RG under him.
Anthony Collins 4th rounder.

People need to get this notion that teams pull a ton of quality OL out of the back end of the draft. 
For every OL success out of the back end, there's two dozen failures. 
Reply/Quote
I went back and watched the game and just like I thought our O line got used and abused way more often than not.
Reply/Quote
The weak link is Center, and unfortunately there are no real "can't miss" Center prospects in this draft.
Reply/Quote
(12-23-2015, 04:18 AM)bengalfan74 Wrote: I went back and watched the game and just like I thought our O line got used and abused way more often than not.

Any specific plays? 
Because outside of Bodine, I saw plenty of good. 
Reply/Quote
(12-23-2015, 11:43 AM)RoyleRedlegs Wrote: Any specific plays? 
Because outside of Bodine, I saw plenty of good. 

How about Andre Smith getting shoved right into J. Hill, helping to cause a fumble?

How about Whit completely missing a corner blitz?

How about Boling and Zeitler failing to sustain blocks on LBs, repeatedly all game long?

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote