Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Our inept FO strikes again...
(02-04-2021, 12:17 AM)bfine32 Wrote: Who was this elite player they could have signed in 2018?

What’s up with the Fred pic btw?
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
(02-04-2021, 12:17 AM)bfine32 Wrote: Who was this elite player they could have signed in 2018?

WTF are you talking about? This thread is about not signing Shaq Barrett in the 2019 season is it not?
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(02-04-2021, 02:34 AM)J24 Wrote: WTF are you talking about? This thread is about not signing Shaq Barrett in the 2019 season is it not?

Talking about Shaq was not an elite player after the 2018 season. He was an UDFA having a mediocre career
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(02-04-2021, 12:10 AM)J24 Wrote: Who cares what the rest of the league does? 
The Bengals could have signed a player that would have absolutely helped our defense on a steal of a deal and failed. They should be taking responsibility for it instead of making excuses everytime they get something wrong.

(02-04-2021, 02:44 AM)bfine32 Wrote: Talking about Shaq was not an elite player after the 2018 season. He was an UDFA having a mediocre career

I changed the wording of J24’s post a bit (I know how hung up folks here get on wording), does that make it a pretty fair statement now?

Reply/Quote
LOL at getting hung up on whether Shaq was/is elite or not. The point is our inept medical staff apparently can't read an MRI. All of the players that were good to go after a few weeks then were sidelined for months or an entire season, this latest Shaq revelation coupled with the Trae Waynes debacle? This MD staff are ***** incompetent. It reeks of Budget-ville, just like the rest of the FO.
Reply/Quote
(02-03-2021, 03:37 PM)Synric Wrote: Shaquil Barrett's 2019 was misleading. He had 19 sacks but didnt create much more pressure besides those sacks.

I know people are gonna be say but but but he got sacks what he didn't do was created consistent pressure. His 2020 season is alot more realistic representation of what you will get consistently from Barrett.

According to PFF he led all EDGE players in pressures this season...

This is where the interesting discourse starts, though. Many people believe Barrett’s play has fallen off. After all, he went from 19.5 sacks during the 2019 regular season to just 8.0 in 2020. However, we know better than this — pressures predict sacks better than sacks predict sacks, and Barrett’s pressure numbers in 2020 have been on par with his 2019 totals, leading all edge players in quarterback pressures during the regular season (77).

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-shaquil-barrett-tampa-bay-buccaneers-franchise-tag-contrast-2021-offseason

Reply/Quote
(02-04-2021, 04:02 AM)Older Than You Too Wrote: LOL at getting hung up on whether Shaq was/is elite or not. The point is our inept medical staff apparently can't read an MRI. All of the players that were good to go after a few weeks then were sidelined for months or an entire season, this latest Shaq revelation coupled with the Trae Waynes debacle? This MD staff are ***** incompetent. It reeks of Budget-ville, just like the rest of the FO.

“That’s a bingo”

Reply/Quote
(02-04-2021, 04:07 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: “That’s a bingo”

You just say "Bingo."

*prepares to scalp the next homer*
Reply/Quote
Hey, did you guys hear the Bengals almost traded for Shaun Rogers?
Reply/Quote
(02-04-2021, 04:49 AM)PDub80 Wrote: Hey, did you guys hear the Bengals almost traded for Shaun Rogers?

While we did already know they had brought Barrett in and then not signed him, he’s just now (in Super Bowl week interviews) disputing the Bengals claim of a shoulder injury. Hence the story. And as you can clearly see by the dates it’s definitely not from 2 years ago.

https://www.si.com/nfl/bengals/news/shaq-barrett-explains-why-the-bengals-passed-on-him-in-free-agency

https://www.cincyjungle.com/2021/2/3/22261045/buccaneers-news-bucs-shaq-barrett-bengals-super-bowl-2021-nfl-free-agency

https://theathletic.com/2359855/2021/02/01/shaq-barrett-was-all-for-signing-with-the-bengals-heres-why-he-didnt/

Reply/Quote
(02-04-2021, 12:10 AM)J24 Wrote: Who cares what the rest of the league does? 
The Bengals could have signed an elite player on a steal of a deal and failed. They should be taking responsibility for it instead of making excuses everytime they get something wrong.

He wasn't even a starter at the time......
Reply/Quote
(02-04-2021, 04:02 AM)Older Than You Too Wrote: LOL at getting hung up on whether Shaq was/is elite or not. The point is our inept medical staff apparently can't read an MRI. All of the players that were good to go after a few weeks then were sidelined for months or an entire season, this latest Shaq revelation coupled with the Trae Waynes debacle? This MD staff are ***** incompetent. It reeks of Budget-ville, just like the rest of the FO.

The fact that only 2 teams, Cincinnati and Dallas, even have their own MRI machines.... yeah, budgetville.  Whatever
Reply/Quote
(02-04-2021, 09:23 AM)Sled21 Wrote: The fact that only 2 teams, Cincinnati and Dallas, even have their own MRI machines.... yeah, budgetville.  Whatever

When you swindle the county for one of the worst stadium deals in pro sports I would hope you spend at least a little bit of money on such things. How many teams don’t have their own indoor practice facility? In 2021. In a cold weather city...

Ridiculous.

Reply/Quote
(02-04-2021, 09:32 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: When you swindle the county for one of the worst stadium deals in pro sports I would hope you spend at least a little bit of money on such things. How many teams don’t have their own indoor practice facility? In 2021. In a cold weather city...

Ridiculous.

Absolute inability to say anything good....
Reply/Quote
(02-04-2021, 10:00 AM)Sled21 Wrote: Absolute inability to say anything good....

That’s not even close to being true. I’m much more complimentary of the players themselves, as opposed to the FO, but I will give them credit when they make a good draft pick, FA signing, etc. But the way they run the franchise overall deserves all the criticism.

Reply/Quote
(02-04-2021, 08:38 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: While we did already know they had brought Barrett in and then not signed him, he’s just now (in Super Bowl week interviews) disputing the Bengals claim of a shoulder injury. Hence the story. And as you can clearly see by the dates it’s definitely not from 2 years ago.

https://www.si.com/nfl/bengals/news/shaq-barrett-explains-why-the-bengals-passed-on-him-in-free-agency

https://www.cincyjungle.com/2021/2/3/22261045/buccaneers-news-bucs-shaq-barrett-bengals-super-bowl-2021-nfl-free-agency

https://theathletic.com/2359855/2021/02/01/shaq-barrett-was-all-for-signing-with-the-bengals-heres-why-he-didnt/

I had read an article discussing the attempted signing after last off-season where Barrett had 19.5 sacks. The article a year ago stated the Bengals didn't clear him due to peeceived medical.

Since he had just racked up 19.5 sacks, I figured there wasn't anything wrong with him or he had learned to play through it. So, the player coming out and saying he is fine shouldn'treally blow minds. Needless to say, I have already been through my grieving period over it. Maybe I'm being insensitive to others who couldn't connect the dots to 19.5 sacks in 2019 = NO serious injury from 2018.
Reply/Quote
(02-04-2021, 01:01 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: What’s up with the Fred pic btw?

Wondering the same thing.  Very strange.

Where is Fred anyways?  Is he suspended for the umpteeth time?  Is Fred actually Bfine?  If Finkle Einhorn?  So many questions...
Reply/Quote
(02-03-2021, 07:11 PM)Sled21 Wrote: And maybe I am a homer, I'll own that, but that's just to counter all you so called Bengals fans who act more like Steelers fans in Smack Talk when it comes to discussing this team. it's actually quite amazing the Administrators and Moderators don't enforce the "Fans only" in Jungle Noise on some of you considering some of the comments made here.

Fwiw, I don't think reading any single post on here has bothered me more than this one right here. 

Sure, there's been numerous times where someone's (singular) fandom has been called into question.  And there's been countless innuendos and insinuations that there are some ways to be a better a fan than others.  But you really laid all out on the line here didn't you?  Called out a sizeable group of people, and made it clear as day that you don't even think they belong on JN.

BS!!!!  Some (a lot) of fans actually want to talk about everything that surrounds their team.  The good, the bad, and the ugly.  Nothing is off limits.  And some (a lot) of fans are extemely passionate about their teams, to the point of having absolutely no issue with venting, questioning, or outright ripping certain moves.

I swear, some people (people like you) must live in this bubble of world where they're not at all exposed to what makes up sports in general, or their respective fanbases.  It's like you've cut yourself off from anything that isn't Bengals.com, an AP article, ESPN, or team focused material.

You must be completely oblivious to what makes up New York fans, Boston fans, Philly fans, Chicago fans, any Euro foutbol club's fans .  Actually, scratch all that, and just replace those names with "ALL FANS".

This is how sports work.  None of the complaints you see, or the type of opinions held on this site are unique to Bengals fans.  Hell, they're not even unique to NFL fans, or American fans.  Like I said, this is how it works.

So, while you question if many should even be on here, because to you they resemble "Steelers fans in Smacktalk"  (dumbest take ever), I question whether you should be on here.

Maybe this isn't the place for you.  Maybe having rational conversations, where often warranted criticism occurs is too much for you.  Maybe you're just not the type of fan that can engage in or enjoy those conversations.  Maybe you're not looking to talk about a lot of what a forum offers.  And that's ok.  You just need to find another outlet.  Could be the Bomb Squad, could be with friends, could be a lot of places.  But it's pretty clear a message board isn't the place for you.

Let's be honest, you take a lot of offense to what you read.  You also offer very little in terms of discussion.  So why exactly are you here?  To just run around and correct the perceived wrongs?  That's gotta be pretty boring.

Truthfully, Jungle Noise is one of the more positive sports related boards I've seen.  The fact you find it to be littered with frauds and non-fans says so much about you and your experience.  Do me a favor, go check out pretty much any losing teams message board.  ANY of them.  Here, I'll even give you one:  Go to BearcatJournal and read some of the posts on the basketball forum, and come back here.

Go to reddit, go twitter, go to Michigan's 247 football page.  Seriously, do it.  Then tell us all if JN truly has a problem with their "so called fans" or tell me if you have a problem with being an overly sensitive homer.  Or better yet, just leave and don't come back.

/rantover
Reply/Quote
(02-04-2021, 12:23 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: Fwiw, I don't think reading any single post on here has bothered me more than this one right here. 

Sure, there's been numerous times where someone's (singular) fandom has been called into question.  And there's been countless innuendos and insinuations that there are some ways to be a better a fan than others.  But you really laid all out on the line here didn't you?  Called out a sizeable group of people, and made it clear as day that you don't even think they belong on JN.

BS!!!!  Some (a lot) of fans actually want to talk about everything that surrounds their team.  The good, the bad, and the ugly.  Nothing is off limits.  And some (a lot) of fans are extemely passionate about their teams, to the point of having absolutely no issue with venting, questioning, or outright ripping certain moves.

I swear, some people (people like you) must live in this bubble of world where they're not at all exposed to what makes up sports in general, or their respective fanbases.  It's like you've cut yourself off from anything that isn't Bengals.com, an AP article, ESPN, or team focused material.

You must be completely oblivious to what makes up New York fans, Boston fans, Philly fans, Chicago fans, any Euro foutbol club's fans .  Actually, scratch all that, and just replace those names with "ALL FANS".

This is how sports work.  None of the complaints you see, or the type of opinions held on this site are unique to Bengals fans.  Hell, they're not even unique to NFL fans, or American fans.  Like I said, this is how it works.

So, while you question if many should even be on here, because to you they resemble "Steelers fans in Smacktalk"  (dumbest take ever), I question whether you should be on here.

Maybe this isn't the place for you.  Maybe having rational conversations, where often warranted criticism occurs is too much for you.  Maybe you're just not the type of fan that can engage in or enjoy those conversations.  Maybe you're not looking to talk about a lot of what a forum offers.  And that's ok.  You just need to find another outlet.  Could be the Bomb Squad, could be with friends, could be a lot of places.  But it's pretty clear a message board isn't the place for you.

Let's be honest, you take a lot of offense to what you read.  You also offer very little in terms of discussion.  So why exactly are you here?  To just run around and correct the perceived wrongs?  That's gotta be pretty boring.

Truthfully, Jungle Noise is one of the more positive sports related boards I've seen.  The fact you find it to be littered with frauds and non-fans says so much about you and your experience.  Do me a favor, go check out pretty much any losing teams message board.  ANY of them.  Here, I'll even give you one:  Go to BearcatJournal and read some of the posts on the basketball forum, and come back here.

Go to reddit, go twitter, go to Michigan's 247 football page.  Seriously, do it.  Then tell us all if JN truly has a problem with their "so called fans" or tell me if you have a problem with being an overly sensitive homer.  Or better yet, just leave and don't come back.

/rantover

I guess a little bit of truth touched a nerve eh?
Reply/Quote
I would never disagree with "the Bengals' FO is inept", and I'm sure have called them that myself in a few posts. But the OP is just not a particularly compelling example of the FO's abundant reserves of ineptitude.

One, considering the middling career that Barrett had in his first two years in the league, I can't fault the team for pulling the offer. Considering that not many teams pursued him, perhaps the Bengals just got spooked enough by an MRI, not to take a risk. While I have some doubts about the medical staff, especially from reading posts in this forum about how short term injuries turn into season enders, I'm not so sure I want to trust Barrett's words here. Not saying that he has an agenda but not saying that he couldn't have one either.
Setting the medical staff aside, I simply don't see why this non signing needs to be owned up to as a mistake when given the odds, the chances of a 7 sack DE (in 2 years) becoming a league leader in sacks or even among the top 10 is just not that high. Going by the odds, it would have been more likely a meh signing than a home run. And we haven't even taken into consideration that Barrett may not have produced nearly close numbers in sacks with the Bengals' DLine compared to Tampa Bay. IMO, Tampa just got lucky.
Reply/Quote