Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Our inept FO strikes again...
(02-03-2021, 11:41 AM)Whatever Wrote: Never underestimate the incompetence of people in the medical field.  My mom was diagnosed with leukemia in November '19 and told she two months to live this past September.  She goes to a different hospital with different doctors and now she' got to remission last month.

Don't worry. I don't underestimate doctors.. I only go to one if I'm bleeding severely or the pain is so intense I have no other choice.. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(02-03-2021, 11:37 AM)Sled21 Wrote: I'd also point out that besides the Bengals, only Tampa Bay even gave him a look when his price tag was cheap. So if our front office is inept, what does that make the other 30 teams?

Wrong.

but I didn’t hear from anybody else about anything from the teams I visited about any shoulder injury because I never had a shoulder injury.”

Reply/Quote
(02-03-2021, 02:43 AM)coachmcneil71 Wrote: He is surounded by a ton more talent than we have on defense. JPP,Suh,White,David...those guys are pretty damn good. Odds of probability would lean towards him having success. That said, it wreaks of inept front office Bengalism and their staff of the seven dwarves.

The Bucs really spent every last dime they had into 2020. Their remaining cap is only $1.3 mill.
You mention all the stud players they got, but only 6 are making $10+ mill in 2020.
Also, they have no DBs making big money, which has allowed them to pay for Brady, Barrett, Donovan Smith, JPP, David, Jensen, Gronk, Evans, Suh, and Marpet.
They then supplemented those contracts with good performance from guys on rookie contracts - White, Howard, Vea, Wirfs, Godwin, Jones, Winfield.
Last, they actually have a proven, established HC who knows how to run a good offense in Bruce Arians.

They truly went all-in to try to win, and they don't have a single person making $5+ mill who performed poorly this year. They mostly stayed healthy too.

Meanwhile, the Bengals have the following players making $5+ mill in 2020 who didn't return the value they were expected to:
AJ Green
Bobby Hart
Geno Atkins
CJ Uzomah (hardly got to play any games)
DJ Reader (hardly got to play any games)
Trae Waynes (0 games played due to injury)
John Ross (only played 3 games, had 2 catches for 17 yards)
Joe Burrow (missed almost half the season)

Shawn Williams and Gio Bernard were also paid nearly $5 mill in 2020, but were backups. Williams had a total of 16 tackles with 0 turnovers. Bernard hasn't had 500 rushing yards in a season since 2015.

Bengals need to stay healthy and get better performance from their guys. Especially the ones making the most money.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(02-03-2021, 11:47 AM)ochocincos Wrote: The Bucs really spent every last dime they had into 2020. Their remaining cap is only $1.3 mill.
You mention all the stud players they got, but only 6 are making $10+ mill in 2020.
Also, they have no DBs making big money, which has allowed them to pay for Brady, Barrett, Donovan Smith, JPP, David, Jensen, Gronk, Evans, Suh, and Marpet.
They then supplemented those contracts with good performance from guys on rookie contracts - White, Howard, Vea, Wirfs, Godwin, Jones, Winfield.
Last, they actually have a proven, established HC who knows how to run a good offense in Bruce Arians.

They truly went all-in to try to win, and they don't have a single person making $5+ mill who performed poorly this year. They mostly stayed healthy too.

Meanwhile, the Bengals have the following players making $5+ mill in 2020 who didn't return the value they were expected to:
AJ Green
Bobby Hart
Geno Atkins
CJ Uzomah (hardly got to play any games)
DJ Reader (hardly got to play any games)
Trae Waynes (0 games played due to injury)
John Ross (only played 3 games, had 2 catches for 17 yards)
Joe Burrow (missed almost half the season)

Shawn Williams and Gio Bernard were also paid nearly $5 mill in 2020, but were backups. Williams had a total of 16 tackles with 0 turnovers. Bernard hasn't had 500 rushing yards in a season since 2015.

Bengals need to stay healthy and get better performance from their guys. Especially the ones making the most money.
The Bengals need to quit their jobs singing to the choir and get real jobs mopping floors for real teams.. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(02-03-2021, 09:43 AM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: All Bengals the last 2 years: 48 sacks (last in NFL)
Shaq Barrett the last 2 years: 27.5 sacks

Barrett had 7 sacks in 2 years before coming here. 

As to the OP: Seems a case of trying too hard. I assume no one in this thread is upset that our staff cleared Tree Waynes? 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(02-03-2021, 09:11 AM)Sled21 Wrote: Is there a link somewhere to this story?

I think this just reminds us of how risk aversive MB is (he should have been an insurance agent) . I'm guessing some small blip came up that made them question the shoulder with no real proof or 2nd opinion and just let him go.  What a major flop and I had to laugh at them saying they would have another shot at him....so instead of paying what they had him in for, it would now be double?? And good point about the team he has...
that has to add to his success in TB. 
Reply/Quote
(02-03-2021, 02:43 AM)coachmcneil71 Wrote: He is surounded by a ton more talent than we have on defense. JPP,Suh,White,David...those guys are pretty damn good

Agreed.

Not saying he wouldn't have done well here, but I dunno if he would've done as well. And tryi g to do better may have aggregated whatever they saw. Not saying we should've passed, just saying who knows how it would've turned out 
Reply/Quote
(02-03-2021, 11:44 AM)Nicomo Cosca/ Wrote: Wrong.

but I didn’t hear from anybody else about anything from the teams I visited about any shoulder injury because I never had a shoulder injury.”

Not wrong..... google is your friend. 

https://bengalswire.usatoday.com/2019/11/09/nfl-free-agency-shaq-barrett-bengals-pulled-offer/

Quote:As we’ve touched on in the past, the Cincinnati Bengals were one of only two teams to put in an offer on free agent Shaq Barrett this past offseason.

Barrett ended up going to the Tampa Bay Buccaneers and has 10.5 sacks, good for the NFL lead.
Now we know more about the free-agent pursuit by the Bengals.
Thanks to a superb in-depth piece from The Athletic’s Dan Pompei, we know the Bengals had an offer that would’ve beaten Tampa Bay’s — but the front office pulled it:
Quote:When free agency began, Shaq says the Bengals floated a two-year deal worth $14 million…
…Shaq’s first stop was Cincinnati, and he thought it was going to be his last stop. But the Bengals wanted to be sure a shoulder injury Shaq had sustained during the previous season was sufficiently healed before they proceeded. They took an MRI and didn’t like what they saw. They pulled the offer, and Shaq visited the Bucs.
Barrett is currently playing on a one-year deal worth $4 million for the Buccaneers.

Seems Shaq didn't hear anything about his shoulder from other teams, because he didn't get an offer from any other teams. 
Reply/Quote
(02-03-2021, 02:02 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Not wrong..... google is your friend. 

https://bengalswire.usatoday.com/2019/11/09/nfl-free-agency-shaq-barrett-bengals-pulled-offer/

Seems Shaq didn't hear anything about his shoulder from other teams, because he didn't visit any other teams. 

You said no other teams even “gave him a look” not made an offer. Where is your proof he didn’t meet with any other teams? Because that makes no sense unless he was referring to Tampa Bay in the plural when he said no other teams found anything wrong with his shoulder.

Reply/Quote
(02-03-2021, 02:08 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: You said no other teams even “gave him a look” not made an offer. Where is your proof he didn’t meet with any other teams? Because that makes no sense unless he was referring to Tampa Bay in the plural when he said no other teams found anything wrong with his shoulder.

He said he didn't hear anything from them about his shoulder. His shoulder is probably why he didn't hear anything from them and they passed on him.
Reply/Quote
(02-03-2021, 02:10 PM)Sled21 Wrote: He said he didn't hear anything from them about his shoulder. His shoulder is probably why he didn't hear anything from them and they passed on him.

Doubtful. There was nothing wrong with his shoulder. That’s the whole point.

Reply/Quote
(02-03-2021, 02:18 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Doubtful. There was nothing wrong with his shoulder. That’s the whole point.

Really, then why did all these supposed other teams pass on him???? 
Reply/Quote
(02-03-2021, 02:29 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Really, then why did all these supposed other teams pass on him???? 

How would I know? Why did Denver let him walk in the first place? Can you ever just admit the team did something wrong? I mean, there’s being a homer, and then there’s what you do...

He clearly didn’t have a shoulder injury in a season he put up 19.5 sacks.

Reply/Quote
IDK if I would put this on the FO. If they seen something they didn't like, they move on. Not all decisions are good ones and this is one of the bad ones in hindsight. If he didn't have a shoulder issue, then they were given bad information. Not like they are going to pass and make shit up, "We are going to pass because such player has peyronies disease and may affect his pursuit to the right side."

I guess this really goes on the medical staff. And, why wasn't there a second opinion?

Reply/Quote
(02-03-2021, 02:29 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Really, then why did all these supposed other teams pass on him???? 

I doubt he met with every single team.
But, as has been mentioned earlier by others, he never had more than 5.5 sacks in a season when he was in DEN.
So I'm assuming some teams just didn't think he was going to be as impactful as he ended up being in Tampa.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
Shaquil Barrett's 2019 was misleading. He had 19 sacks but didnt create much more pressure besides those sacks.

I know people are gonna be say but but but he got sacks what he didn't do was created consistent pressure. His 2020 season is alot more realistic representation of what you will get consistently from Barrett.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(02-03-2021, 03:37 PM)Synric Wrote: Shaquil Barrett's 2019 was misleading. He had 19 sacks but didnt create much more pressure besides those sacks.

I know people are gonna be say but but but he got sacks what he didn't do was created consistent pressure. His 2020 season is alot more realistic representation of what you will get consistently from Barrett.

His 8 sacks this season would have led our team though.

Reply/Quote
(02-03-2021, 11:41 AM)Whatever Wrote: Never underestimate the incompetence of people in the medical field.  My mom was diagnosed with leukemia in November '19 and told she two months to live this past September.  She goes to a different hospital with different doctors and now she' got to remission last month.

That is good to hear!   ThumbsUp
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
(02-03-2021, 10:27 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Maybe the medical staff ran an MRI, and saw something.  Maybe whatever they saw wasn't actually inhibiting his ability to play, but the med staff may have still seen it as a potential concern.  After all, this is the same med staff that had us thinking that AJ Green was coming back any time in 2019..  LOL

I'm picturing some sort of Three Stooges style skit where our crack team of "doctors" mistakes AJ's ankle MRI for Barret's shoulder MRI.  Well, one of you won't be playing at all in 2019 and the other is good to go....my condolences on the bad shoulder, Mr. Barrett.
Reply/Quote
Meanwhile we are still waiting on stiffs like Sam Hubbard
To actually resemble a pass rusher.
Reply/Quote