Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Outcoached?
(09-11-2023, 06:57 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Only 4 pass attempts past the line of scrimmage in the middle 70-80% of the field, 0 of them deeper than 6 yards.

[Image: pass-chart_BUR679731_2023-REG-1_1694380513610.jpeg]

And then you see how McDaniel uses Tyreek…

[Image: F5vvj6pXQAAzH7q?format=jpg&name=large]
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
It's unimaginable and I can't see a an actual NFL team doing it, but what if the staff decided to punt on this game? I don't mean outright try to lose. I mean put a limit on what your qb can do in live reps and live with the results.

They play these guys again at the end of the year I what could be a very meaningful game. The quarterback had been hurt for a month. The starters have seen little to no preseason action.

It's a dangerous thing to do IMO, as that kind of approach gets guys hurt. I just can't really come up with a logical answer for the play of the qb, the offensive play calls, and the undeniable listlessness they showed. This is especially true on offense.

To boot, none of them seemed a bit concerned in post-game interviews. The body language and approach were just strange for an actual NFL game.
Reply/Quote
(09-11-2023, 06:46 PM)impactplaya Wrote: Emerson and Newsome are lengthy CBs. Yet Joe was trying to heave 50/50 balls to Tee. Well MJ Emerson
Isn't 5'8 Marcus Jones. Those throws become 75 25 .The Browns CB knew what routes Chase and Tee were running. Plus every throw was to the
Boundary. Helloooo Burrow and Zac..the Boundary is like a 12th man. JB tried a back shoulder throw to Chase which Emerson easily defended

6'3 Delpit was on Tee multiple plays as well.

Reply/Quote
(09-11-2023, 06:53 PM)bfine32 Wrote: JB had about 3 days of practice this Preseason. How exotic could we be?

This is Burrows 4th year in this offense.  He doesnt know the offense by now?  Did they suddenly switch to a new offense in training camp that Burrow is not familiar with?
Reply/Quote
I've never liked Taylor's/Callahan playcalling. I just feel that Taylor is an elite players coach and roster builder it covers up a lot of the poor offensive play calling. I mean I don't remember any playoff game other than the Bills I thought the offense played to its potential.
Reply/Quote
(09-11-2023, 09:52 PM)007BengalsFan Wrote: This is Burrows 4th year in this offense.  He doesnt know the offense by now?  Did they suddenly switch to a new offense in training camp that Burrow is not familiar with?

There is a difference in knowing and executing, how many reps you think he got in 3 days?   Dismissing his lack of practice is extremely odd and doesnt make sense.  

Reply/Quote
(09-11-2023, 08:18 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: After watching the game I am solidly convinced Joe Burrow is still injured and badly so.  Usually his right foot “plant and push off” technique is the best in the league but yesterday Joe couldn’t set his feet to throw.  Yes, part of this was the effect of the pass rush but even when he had time his technique was clearly different; tentative, even.

If Burrow is badly injured, he needs to be sitting on the bench.  It doesnt help the team to have him come out there and play like a bad high school QB.  It doesnt help Burrow recover from an injury.  We cant have another repeat performance like that against Baltimore.  If he is injured, he needs to sit.
Reply/Quote
(09-11-2023, 09:52 PM)007BengalsFan Wrote: This is Burrows 4th year in this offense.  He doesnt know the offense by now?  Did they suddenly switch to a new offense in training camp that Burrow is not familiar with?

I don't know, do you? What I do know is dude practiced about 3 times this Preseason. We most likely could not "open up" the whole playbook. 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(09-11-2023, 09:57 PM)casear2727 Wrote: There is a difference in knowing and executing, how many reps you think he got in 3 days?   Dismissing his lack of practice is extremely odd and doesnt make sense.  
If you're every looking for entertainment tune into the gameday thread.

Our first 3 times we missed on 3rd and short, we called the following plays:

A short Pass

A run

A long pass

The same folks were yelling about how Zac made the wrong call each time. I can only assume they thought Zac shoulda called fake punt
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(09-11-2023, 10:10 PM)bfine32 Wrote: If you're every looking for entertainment tune into the gameday thread.

Our first 3 times we missed on 3rd and short, we called the following plays:

A short Pass

A run

A long pass

The same folks were yelling about how Zac made the wrong call each time. I can only assume they thought Zac shoulda called fake punt

I can only handle so much of Tony and a couple others screaming that we suck and the game is over every time we dont get a 1st down or we miss a tackle.

Reply/Quote
(09-11-2023, 10:04 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I don't know, do you? What I do know is dude practiced about 3 times this Preseason. We most likely could not "open up" the whole playbook. 

How much do you think they have changed the offense since last year?  They still run empty sets with the receivers running the same routes.  Burrow doesnt know the offense by now?  If you are going to use the excuse he only practiced 3 times, how many is he going to get before Baltimore?  If he is not ready, maybe he should sit the bench and put someone in there at QB that does know the offense.   We cant afford a repeat of this disaster against the Ravens.  If Burrow wants to think of himself as elite and be the highest paid player in the NFL, he needs to play like it.
Reply/Quote
(09-11-2023, 04:58 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: So it looked like we ran a bunch of the same routes and did a bunch of short throws. But, I didn't realize it was this bad.

Our defensive coverage was bad too...according to this. Watson just couldn't take advantage.

This chart doesn't put blame on the line like the board is. This is on playcalling/gameplanning/and guys getting open.

100%. I know you guys get sick of me ragging on ZT but what a waste of an insanely talented team. If Burrow wasn’t the highest paid player in NFL history I’d feel bad for him never having a good coach in his entire career, pro or college. I guess you could count Urban Meyer but he was riding the pine.
Reply/Quote
(09-11-2023, 09:57 PM)007BengalsFan Wrote: If Burrow is badly injured, he needs to be sitting on the bench.  It doesnt help the team to have him come out there and play like a bad high school QB.  It doesnt help Burrow recover from an injury.  We cant have another repeat performance like that against Baltimore.  If he is injured, he needs to sit.

You would be able to see him Injured,  I said before the area of concern I've had  is Joe''s ability to audible to get better match ups.
Reply/Quote
(09-11-2023, 11:19 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: You would be able to see him Injured,  I said before the area of concern I've had  is Joe''s ability to audible to get better match ups.

The reality is Burrow was just horrible yesterday.  Whatever the reason, be it injury, lack of practice, etc... if he cant play better due to whatever reason it was, he is not helping the team being out there.  Put someone else in there until Burrow is ready.
Reply/Quote
(09-11-2023, 11:08 PM)LSUfaninTN Wrote: 100%. I know you guys get sick of me ragging on ZT but what a waste of an insanely talented team. If Burrow wasn’t the highest paid player in NFL history I’d feel bad for him never having a good coach in his entire career, pro or college. I guess you could count Urban Meyer but he was riding the pine.

Have to  partly disagree, Joe has much control  in this offense , he has spoken out about that plus to audible and change also , now our coaching is not without blame but Burrow is the floor leader once he is on the field and yesterday he did not do well in game time decisions. Hopefully this week things click better.
Reply/Quote
(09-11-2023, 11:24 PM)007BengalsFan Wrote: The reality is Burrow was just horrible yesterday.  Whatever the reason, be it injury, lack of practice, etc... if he cant play better due to whatever reason it was, he is not helping the team being out there.  Put someone else in there until Burrow is ready.

He will rebound, he is too good to play that way for season , but like to see a bit more adjustments at the line , let's run Mixon a bit more maybe play action to take pressure off of him
Reply/Quote
(09-11-2023, 09:11 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: And then you see how McDaniel uses Tyreek…

[Image: F5vvj6pXQAAzH7q?format=jpg&name=large]

Miami's OL isn't great, or even particularly good, I don't believe...

[Image: pass-chart_TAG620344_2023-REG-1_1694392617472.jpeg]

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
It has to be something. Burrow is highest paid QB. We have arguably the best set of starting receivers. We threw for 86 yards.

What I don't understand is we think are receivers are so talented that our gameplan is you all go beat your man one-on-one. And then they don't and there is no plan B.
Reply/Quote
(09-11-2023, 09:19 PM)samhain Wrote: It's unimaginable and I can't see a an actual NFL team doing it, but what if the staff decided to punt on this game?  I don't mean outright try to lose.  I mean put a limit on what your qb can do in live reps and live with the results.  

They play these guys again at the end of the year I what could be a very meaningful game.  The quarterback had been hurt for a month.  The starters have seen little to no preseason action.  

It's a dangerous thing to do IMO, as that kind of approach gets guys hurt.  I just can't really come up with a logical answer for the play of the qb, the offensive play calls, and the undeniable listlessness they showed.  This is especially true on offense.  

To boot, none of them seemed a bit concerned in post-game interviews.  The body language and approach were just strange for an actual NFL game.

I am hopeful that they're plan for the game didn't really come to fruition due to the weather and how Burrow was struggling due to the conditions. I wish we would've gone in with a heavy run mindset due to the weather and Burrows missed time. I think we ran the ball better than a lot of us felt after the game and probably could've done even better if it was our main focus going in. I'm hopeful our limited route tree was due to not having a ton of opportunities and the weather mixed with Burrow throwing in said conditions. Hopefully Sunday is dry so there are no excuses and we can really assess the offense. 
Reply/Quote
(09-11-2023, 09:19 PM)samhain Wrote: It's unimaginable and I can't see a an actual NFL team doing it, but what if the staff decided to punt on this game?  I don't mean outright try to lose.  I mean put a limit on what your qb can do in live reps and live with the results.  

They play these guys again at the end of the year I what could be a very meaningful game.  The quarterback had been hurt for a month.  The starters have seen little to no preseason action.  

It's a dangerous thing to do IMO, as that kind of approach gets guys hurt.  I just can't really come up with a logical answer for the play of the qb, the offensive play calls, and the undeniable listlessness they showed.  This is especially true on offense.  

To boot, none of them seemed a bit concerned in post-game interviews.  The body language and approach were just strange for an actual NFL game.

Can't see that happening but the weather may have dictated an inability for JB to grip the ball very well due to his hand size.  I know I have smaller hands and can throw the ball fine as long as the conditions are good but once the ball is wet I have no control over it.  Just a guess, it sure didn't bother him against Buffalo in the playoffs last year.

I'm just baffled they continued to throw in those conditions when the run game was doing well.  That's on ZT.
Reply/Quote