Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Outcoached?
(09-12-2023, 01:21 PM)reuben.ahmed Wrote: what would ZT's record be without Joe burrow?

If we think JB brings a wins above replacement of 2-3 at least we miss playoffs ever year.

Nothing burger as Belichick under .500 w/o Brady. Saban failed at the Dolphins w/o a QB. Lombardi w/o Starr. Dabo w/o Lawrence or Watson. Coach O w/o Joe. Reid had no QB when he got fired at Philly
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
(09-12-2023, 01:18 PM)Mickeypoo Wrote: I will say this.  My son is a TE/WR on JV.  I have more than once thrown passes to him for practice in the pouring rain and I have never had an issue gripping or throwing the football.  35-40 yards is all my old arm has left in it, but I could hit him on go routes at those distances with no issues.  Again, in the pouring rain.  Yes, that is completely anecdotal, but something was up with Burrow imo and not just a wet football.

I saw a rumor today that he banged his thumb up pretty good at the start of the game. If true, that would explain it. Then again, Watson was struggling too.

"Better send those refunds..."

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(09-12-2023, 01:18 PM)Mickeypoo Wrote: I will say this.  My son is a TE/WR on JV.  I have more than once thrown passes to him for practice in the pouring rain and I have never had an issue gripping or throwing the football.  35-40 yards is all my old arm has left in it, but I could hit him on go routes at those distances with no issues.  Again, in the pouring rain.  Yes, that is completely anecdotal, but something was up with Burrow imo and not just a wet football.

[Image: girl-sure-jan.gif]

'cause, you know, your physiology, hand size, skin reaction to water, etc. is IDENTICAL to Joe... and I'm sure Joe put on a glove because something was up and not the sheets of rain pouring down...
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
It was odd to me to see them go for it on that 4th down with so much time left in the 4th.

I get that the offense did nothing all day, but IIRC it was still just 16-3 at that point. It's not likely, but if they punted and didn't basically give the Browns guaranteed points, a TD on the next drive gets them within a score and a prayer. It also puts more pressure on the Browns offense, something they didn't deal with all day. The defense really got put in a hole after that failed 4th down, and that's gotta be a tough thing to deal with when they were the only thing keeping the game manageable all afternoon.

At any point in this game, the team was a touchdown away from changing the entire complexion of the score right up until then. For them to give up and yank Burrow that quick told me that their expectations in this game were not high. it was a very live and fight another day move.
Reply/Quote
(09-12-2023, 05:24 PM)samhain Wrote: It was odd to me to see them go for it on that 4th down with so much time left in the 4th.  

I get that the offense did nothing all day, but IIRC it was still just 16-3 at that point.  It's not likely, but if they punted and didn't basically give the Browns guaranteed points, a TD on the next drive gets them within a score and a prayer.  It also puts more pressure on the Browns offense, something they didn't deal with all day.  The defense really got put in a hole after that failed 4th down, and that's gotta be a tough thing to deal with when they were the only thing keeping the game manageable all afternoon.

At any point in this game, the team was a touchdown away from changing the entire complexion of the score right up until then.  For them to give up and yank Burrow that quick told me that their expectations in this game were not high.  it was a very live and fight another day move.

I want to know why they punted on the one 4th down when they were in FG range. I'm not saying go for the FG (it would've been a long one and in those conditions all but guaranteed to miss), but keep the offense out there and go for the 1st down. What makes it especially strange is that I think it's the kind of 4th down that Zac previously usually went for the 1st down.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote

Are you sure you're throwing an NFL sized football? It's bigger than a high school and grade school football. Not saying are aren't but most people, especially with kids, aren't throwing with a real sized football because it too big for kids to throw right. 
Reply/Quote
(09-12-2023, 05:24 PM)samhain Wrote: It was odd to me to see them go for it on that 4th down with so much time left in the 4th.  

I get that the offense did nothing all day, but IIRC it was still just 16-3 at that point.  It's not likely, but if they punted and didn't basically give the Browns guaranteed points, a TD on the next drive gets them within a score and a prayer.  It also puts more pressure on the Browns offense, something they didn't deal with all day.  The defense really got put in a hole after that failed 4th down, and that's gotta be a tough thing to deal with when they were the only thing keeping the game manageable all afternoon.

At any point in this game, the team was a touchdown away from changing the entire complexion of the score right up until then.  For them to give up and yank Burrow that quick told me that their expectations in this game were not high.  it was a very live and fight another day move.

considering he had yet to have 100 yards in offense and our defense seemed wore down , the odds of us either scoring two more times after punting and holding the Browns was not good.. seemed logical to maybe take a chance there and go for it, maybe we get some momentum getting a 1st down.. 
Reply/Quote
(09-12-2023, 05:47 PM)PhilHos Wrote: I want to know why they punted on the one 4th down when they were in FG range. I'm not saying go for the FG (it would've been a long one and in those conditions all but guaranteed to miss), but keep the offense out there and go for the 1st down. What makes it especially strange is that I think it's the kind of 4th down that Zac previously usually went for the 1st down.

well considering Mac went on and missed a 51 yarder later in game, probably was smart not to kick one, weather at that time was worse than wen he missed the 51 yarder
Reply/Quote

[Image: ?u=https%3A%2F%2Fmedia1.tenor.com%2Fimag...ipo=images]
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
Players are bored playing with each other, time to make some shocking trades... rejuvinate the team...
Reply/Quote
(09-12-2023, 02:12 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: Nothing burger as Belichick under .500 w/o Brady. Saban failed at the Dolphins w/o a QB. Lombardi w/o Starr. Dabo w/o Lawrence or Watson. Coach O w/o Joe. Reid had no QB when he got fired at Philly

Belichick with Burrow would be working on his 3rd Bengals' Super Bowl this year. 
Reply/Quote
(09-12-2023, 07:39 PM)LSUfaninTN Wrote: Belichick with Burrow would be working on his 3rd Bengals' Super Bowl this year. 

I spit out my wine.
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
(09-12-2023, 07:39 PM)LSUfaninTN Wrote: Belichick with Burrow would be working on his 3rd Bengals' Super Bowl this year. 

If Zac Taylor had been the LSU coach the last 3 years they would have 3 more titles and not be a crappy 21-16

Reply/Quote
(09-12-2023, 04:10 PM)Wyche Wrote: I saw a rumor today that he banged his thumb up pretty good at the start of the game. If true, that would explain it. Then again, Watson was struggling too.

I remember the play where he banged it up.
Reply/Quote
I don't think there is one thing you can point to as the reason we did so bad on offense. There were a lot of contributing factors:

Burrow's injury and lack of practice.
The Browns pass defense is pretty damn good--great coverage, great pass rush.
Vanilla play calling.
Field conditions.

I would love to see more crossing routes, slants, etc. utilized against the Browns.
You have to do something to scheme some guys open.
Typically when we aren't moving the ball well, it's my opinion that the playcalling isn't great.
That said, the past couple years the biggest reason for failure has been Burrow having no time to throw.

The Browns are good on defense. Their DC is good.
I'm reserving judgement until I see what happens these next couple weeks.
We should get some questions answered in terms of Burrow's health and the state of the offense.
One game isn't enough to get me to pannick about this team.
It's inexcusible and we need to play and coach better. But one game is one game.
If this turns into 2 or 3 games there is reason for concern.
I'm not pannicking yet by any means.
Reply/Quote
Our coaching staff is solid... Zac makes some bad play calls but over all he is solid.
Reply/Quote
(09-12-2023, 10:45 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: If Zac Taylor had been the LSU coach the last 3 years they would have 3 more titles and not be a crappy 21-16

OU fan eh?? I’m sensing some nervousness about the pending SEC move… you nervous? Next season, baby! Be afraid………

I don’t know if they’d have 3 titles but you’ll get no argument from me that I’d prefer a 3 year old to Ed Orgeron. 
Reply/Quote
(09-13-2023, 11:59 AM)LSUfaninTN Wrote: OU fan eh?? I’m sensing some nervousness about the pending SEC move… you nervous? Next season, baby! Be afraid………

I don’t know if they’d have 3 titles but you’ll get no argument from me that I’d prefer a 3 year old to Ed Orgeron. 

We’ve beat Texas overwhelmingly the last 10 years and they proved it’s a piece of cake. We ready lol.

Reply/Quote
Fair warning... I only read the first post and didn't watch the game. Reason I didn't watch the game was I had my kids soccer games to go to and I felt Joe with limited practice against a team that has just shut us down under current regime wasn't going to be fun.

But Cleveland coaching staff has had this coaching staff's number for the last 4 years. Not saying our coaching staff is that bad but sometimes another coaching staff identifies what you're going to want to do on offense and exploit your game plan on defense. Cleveland seems to put it to us under Zac. Zac seems to put it to the rest of the league though
Reply/Quote
(09-11-2023, 11:33 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Miami's OL isn't great, or even particularly good, I don't believe...

[Image: pass-chart_TAG620344_2023-REG-1_1694392617472.jpeg]
What a I watched of the game, Tua had waaaay more time to throw than Burrow has ever had.
Reply/Quote