Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
PFF Grades - Week 15
Jonah and Volson switching and dominating..

Reply/Quote
(12-19-2022, 02:53 PM)WychesWarrior Wrote: So, seeing as how Jonah has started to regain his form the last several weeks, and Volson continues to grow beside him.....what is your guys' opinion on keeping him around?

Since they’ve already picked up his 5th year option he’ll have an entire season to prove he should be paid like a top LT. He will have to be much more consistent.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Reply/Quote
(12-19-2022, 02:52 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: Jonah W.  had a good game but Collins although better than some prior Bengals in the past, is upgradable.  Flowers has found his niche with the team and does it very well.  I remember TE use to destroy Bengals, not any longer.  

Jonah pancaked 2 guys on a stunt when Volsen let a guy by him yesterday

We gotta keep him
Reply/Quote
(12-19-2022, 02:45 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: Cappa barely gets talked about, but he's been one of the best players on offense this year.

I was somewhat skeptical that Cappa and Karras would do well in this offense, but they've been pretty good.
I do think changing up the run blocking scheme has attributed to their success too, though.

Jonah hasn't allowed a sack since CAR game, and only 2 hits and 5 hurries since then as well.
Volson not too far behind him with 1 sack, 3 hits, 7 hurries.

La'el Collins since the CAR game, on the other hand...
3 sacks
2 hits
12 hurries

Collins has been the weak link since the Bye, for sure.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote

Reply/Quote
(12-19-2022, 03:00 PM)Anarumo_Savant Wrote: Jonah pancaked 2 guys on a stunt when Volsen let a guy by him yesterday

We gotta keep him

Jonah looked physical for once, and I think he earned his 5th year.  I don't know if the team gives him another deal however.  Collins has been disappointing for me thus far with exception of one other game he looked studly.  
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
(12-19-2022, 02:57 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: Jonah is here next year whether we like it or not. They picked up the option on him. 

He's still super young and is capable. I'd be OK giving him an extension if he continues to improve next year. 

Overall, I think the OL has played decent this year. I do think they have really struggled when defenses throw extra guys at them on blitz pickups. 

Yes, I know they picked up the option, I should've been more clear. I'm going back to discussion on here beyond the option. There were a lot of doubts about keeping him beyond that, and I can be included in the doubt camp. He looked bad early, then got hurt. I did applaud the kid for hanging in there after suffering a dislocated kneecap though.

Good point about his age, I think that's something you really have to consider with him. I've liked his progress up until early this year. He had me worried, but it seems he's settling in nicely for the stretch run. I'd like to keep him too, even if he's as good as he's going to be. At a fair price, of course. 

(12-19-2022, 02:59 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Since they’ve already picked up his 5th year option he’ll have an entire season to prove he should be paid like a top LT. He will have to be much more consistent.

Agreed. If he doesn't improve any more than what he is now, I'd have a tough time inking him for big cash. Now if he comes at a decent price tag playing at his current level, I think I'd be ok with that as well. LT killed us for a few years until he got here and started playing. I'd rather have solid than a turnstile.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(12-19-2022, 02:57 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: Jonah is here next year whether we like it or not. They picked up the option on him. 

He's still super young and is capable. I'd be OK giving him an extension if he continues to improve next year. 

Overall, I think the OL has played decent this year. I do think they have really struggled when defenses throw extra guys at them on blitz pickups.

One thing that’s been a massive improvement though is their ability to pass off stunts and twists this season. Night and day difference from last year. Having smart vets like Karras and Cappa obviously goes a long way with that, but Pollack and Frazier deserve some credit, too.

Reply/Quote
(12-19-2022, 03:00 PM)casear2727 Wrote: <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Man, that was nice!

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
I don't pay PFF, so I cannot get detail, but would love to see the grades for Hill, CTB, & Apple last week.

Year to date:

Offensive starters:
Burrow: 88.9
Mixon: 76.7
Chase: 83.9
Higgins: 80.6
Boyd: 72.3
Hurst: 66.2
Williams: 61.6
Volson: 53.2
Karras: 63.2
Cappa: 68.4
Collins: 57.7
--------------
Reserves (most snaps first, 50 min):
Wilcox: 57.0
Perine: 73.9
Irwin: 65.8
Asiasi: 45.8
Taylor: 53.7
Adeniji: 63.5
Morgan Jr: 67.0

Defensive starters:
Hendrickson: 81.4
BJ Hill: 68.9
Reader: 86.5
Hubbard: 72.9
L. Wilson: 70.9
Pratt: 80.4
Awuzie: 69.9
Apple: 53.3
Hilton: 70.6
Bell: 63.5
Bates: 72.4
---------
Reserves (most snaps first, 50 min)
CTB: 52.4
Carter: 29.5
C. Sample: 54.2
Ossai: 48.7
Tupou: 55.6
ADG: 60.2
Flowers: 59.5
Tufele: 49.8
D. Hill: 57.9
Bailey: 70.9
J. Davis: 60.4
------------
Reserves (under 50 snaps, we may see more of)
Gunter: 42.3
George (PS): 60.4
Reply/Quote
(12-19-2022, 03:03 PM)casear2727 Wrote:

But that’s just Perine running hard! Ninja

Reply/Quote
(12-19-2022, 03:11 PM)Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 Wrote: I don't pay PFF, so I cannot get detail, but would love to see the grades for Hill, CTB, & Apple last week.

I haven’t seen Apple’s grade from yesterday, but that season grade seems low. He’s been really good since Chido went down.

Reply/Quote
(12-19-2022, 03:11 PM)Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 Wrote: I don't pay PFF, so I cannot get detail, but would love to see the grades for Hill, CTB, & Apple last week.

Dax:
Browns: 60  (one play)
Bucs: 50.4   69.9 Run, 44.9 Coverage

CTB
Browns: 52.3   43.0 Run, 54.8 Coverage
Bucs: 53.8   64.8 Run, 51.4 Coverage

Apple
Browns: 57.5  40.2 Run, 60.4 Coverage
Bucs: 57.5   69.9 Run, 53.9 Coverage

Reply/Quote
(12-19-2022, 02:44 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: He ends up on the ground WAY too much. Thankfully the FO was really smart how they structured his contract. They can get out of it after this season with very little dead money.

I could definitely see them going OT in the 1st if they don’t go CB or DE.

I think OT is the #1 need this off season. Jonah is going into his 5th year that we picked up and Collins looks...let's just say he isn't what we expected him to be. His "no one's touching you" quote is not aging well.

So, both our starting tackles are in some form of flux. I think we'll ultimately re-sign Williams unless he just has a dominant 5th year to put him out of our price range. I think Collins will stay on the team next year but hopefully as the starter until his replacement is ready to take over.

I think we still have the flexibility to draft for BPA early, but maybe with a lean towards OT if there are equivalent prospects at several positions available.
Reply/Quote
I will say that outside of Cappa, most of our OL graded out poorly, even Williams, mostly due to poor run blicking grades. The exception being Collins, who is better run blocking than pass.

Jonah is gonna be back next year. He is an average LT. He'll have next year to prove his worth. At $12 plus (what he makes next year), I'd pass on a long term deal. But it is gonna be hard to find a replacement where we draft. But since Collins has been disappointing, we should be on alert for OTs in the draft. RT's can be found for value later.

We are in better shape inside, despite the Carman whiff. At least with the starters. But Sharping is a FA and Carman trending bust. I could see a mid round IOL pick. Especially with G/C versatility.

Whatever has the best value. CB/DE/OT has to be where we look first.
Reply/Quote
La'el Collins just flat out stinks. He's gonna have a hard time against a guy like Joey Bosa if they meet in the playoffs
Reply/Quote
(12-19-2022, 02:44 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: He ends up on the ground WAY too much. Thankfully the FO was really smart how they structured his contract. They can get out of it after this season with very little dead money.

I could definitely see them going OT in the 1st if they don’t go CB or DE.

Or 2nd/3rd. Cody Mauch/Darnell Wright. 

Would love to see the run blocking grades, to get the full picture. I suspect Cappa tops, then Collins, with Jonah struggling. 
Reply/Quote
(12-19-2022, 03:43 PM)Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 Wrote: Or 2nd/3rd. Cody Mauch/Darnell Wright. 

Would love to see the run blocking grades, to get the full picture. I suspect Cappa tops, then Collins, with Jonah struggling. 

Mauch is a beauty!

[Image: Cody_Mauch_2022_NDSU_FB_Headshot_Crop.jpg]

Reply/Quote
(12-19-2022, 02:53 PM)Wyche Wrote: So, seeing as how Jonah has started to regain his form the last several weeks, and Volson continues to grow beside him.....what is your guys' opinion on keeping him around?

He'd have to put together a full season of being consistent before I'd consider going in on a long-term contract. The lows can still be really low, but we will see how it plays out next season. Wish he had the same fire as Karras, but Jonah's last game of 2020 was the infamous fight game with the Dolphins where the camera showed the OL just lounging on the bench while everyone else was out mixing it up. No one from that line should still be around with that lack of heart in them.

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

Reply/Quote