Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
PFF Grades vs 49ers
(11-02-2023, 10:26 AM)Joelist Wrote: Are those sack % numbers this season or career?

This year but it's consistent throughout his career. Low 20s with a high of 26 in 2021. 

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(11-02-2023, 10:39 AM)KillerGoose Wrote: Assuming you're talking about pressure-to-sack% above, it is this season. However, it is still Mahomes by a wide margin. He has the lowest pressure-to-sack % in the NFL since he came into the league. Here are the percentages and relative rankings for Burrow/Mahomes since they came into the league...

Mahomes - 8.5% (1st)
Burrow - 21.3% (25th)

Mahomes - 9.8% (1st)
Burrow - 22.9% (31st)

Mahomes - 13.4% (5th)
Burrow - 26.9% (39th)

Mahomes - 9.6% (2nd)
Burrow - 21.2% (31st)

Mahomes - 11.6% (4th)

Mahomes - 13.3% (4th)

Mahomes is the hardest QB in the league to sack. Burrow has had some very nice, flashy escapes like over the weekend but he isn't as consistent at escaping and keeping things alive as Mahomes is. The thing with Mahomes is he also creates pressure for himself. His playstyle allows defenses to pressure him easier, but it works because he is able to escape it so well. On the flip side of that, Burrow rarely creates pressure for himself, but still struggles to escape when pressure is put on him. 

I think a lot of Burrows sack percentage on pressures has to do with his O-line.  If you play behind a great offensive line like Mahomes you might have one defensive guy on any play that beats an offensive lineman so when you are escaping you just need to evade that one defender.  In Burrows case where he has played behind some mediocre to bad offensive lines, many times its no just one defender that beats the O-line.  Burrow often times has to evade pressure from multiple defenders.  Its not the same standing behind a bad offensive line trying to evade pressure verses standing behind a good offensive line trying to evade pressure.
Reply/Quote
Weird request but do they have Trayveon Williams’s grade? Feel like he had that one good rush and a couple good kick returns

Kinda showed us what the coaches have seen everyday in practice

Good runner and blocker
-Housh
Reply/Quote
if anyone is saying Burrow is bad at escaping pressure because his whatever percentage isnt great, you arent actually watching this guy year after year

It's because you are of such profound wisdom, Frank Booth. - SunsetBengal
Reply/Quote
(11-02-2023, 04:03 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: if anyone is saying Burrow is bad at escaping pressure because his whatever percentage isnt great, you arent actually watching this guy year after year
That escape he had in San Francisco was something else, wasn't it? Dude looked like he was sacked 3-4 times, manages to escape it and make a positive play. Unbelievable!
Reply/Quote
(11-02-2023, 03:05 PM)007BengalsFan Wrote: I think a lot of Burrows sack percentage on pressures has to do with his O-line.  If you play behind a great offensive line like Mahomes you might have one defensive guy on any play that beats an offensive lineman so when you are escaping you just need to evade that one defender.  In Burrows case where he has played behind some mediocre to bad offensive lines, many times its no just one defender that beats the O-line.  Burrow often times has to evade pressure from multiple defenders.  Its not the same standing behind a bad offensive line trying to evade pressure verses standing behind a good offensive line trying to evade pressure.

Definitely part of it. I do think Mahomes is just flat out better at escaping pressure than Burrow is, but Burrow is often under more pressure and it can be more difficult to escape. I think Burrow is good at improvising and buying time, I just don't think he is as good as Mahomes. 
Reply/Quote
(11-02-2023, 04:39 PM)KillerGoose Wrote: Definitely part of it. I do think Mahomes is just flat out better at escaping pressure than Burrow is, but Burrow is often under more pressure and it can be more difficult to escape. I think Burrow is good at improvising and buying time, I just don't think he is as good as Mahomes. 

its exactly because mahomes gets pressured way less. Burrow's percentage would be astronomically better if he played with those lines of chiefs past 

Reply/Quote
(11-02-2023, 04:44 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: its exactly because mahomes gets pressured way less. Burrow's percentage would be astronomically better if he played with those lines of chiefs past 

Mahomes does not get pressured way less. He gets pressured more. However, it is a playstyle difference and just from watching them both, Burrow often deals with more suffocating pressure. Mahomes creates pressure on himself due to his playstyle, like the way he moves in the pocket etc. You can see this on both PFR and PFF. 
Reply/Quote
Not a lot of statistics to back it up but it seems like in quite a few instances the sack comes from a clean blitzer being unblocked due to line miscommunications. It’s hard for any QB to avoid those.
"I'm not going to accept losing"

-- Joe Burrow
Reply/Quote
(11-01-2023, 01:08 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: he had a good game for his standards. Good run blocking per usual. Pass blocking is still poor

Dude you have no credibility on o-line play since you constantly praise Paul Alexander who was a horrible coach.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Reply/Quote
(11-02-2023, 09:48 PM)Bronxbengal Wrote: Dude you have no credibility on o-line play since you constantly praise Paul Alexander who was a horrible coach.  

you're absolutely confusing me with someone else

Reply/Quote
(11-02-2023, 07:10 PM)chrisball96 Wrote: Not a lot of statistics to back it up but it seems like in quite a few instances the sack comes from a clean blitzer being unblocked due to line miscommunications. It’s hard for any QB to avoid those.

I know I have seen this quite a few times this year, this needs to get cleaned up. These are the inexcusable sacks IMO.

(11-02-2023, 09:57 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: you're absolutely confusing me with someone else

Yeah, I have never seen you praise PA...
Reply/Quote
(11-02-2023, 04:51 PM)KillerGoose Wrote: Mahomes does not get pressured way less. He gets pressured more. However, it is a playstyle difference and just from watching them both, Burrow often deals with more suffocating pressure. Mahomes creates pressure on himself due to his playstyle, like the way he moves in the pocket etc. You can see this on both PFR and PFF. 

Having a top IOL also helps QB's evade a greater % of pressures simply by being able to step up in the pocket.  We saw how Pittsburgh prioritized IOL for years because Rapist was so good at making the first man miss.
Reply/Quote
(11-02-2023, 10:39 AM)KillerGoose Wrote: Assuming you're talking about pressure-to-sack% above, it is this season. However, it is still Mahomes by a wide margin. He has the lowest pressure-to-sack % in the NFL since he came into the league. Here are the percentages and relative rankings for Burrow/Mahomes since they came into the league...

Mahomes - 8.5% (1st)
Burrow - 21.3% (25th)

Mahomes - 9.8% (1st)
Burrow - 22.9% (31st)

Mahomes - 13.4% (5th)
Burrow - 26.9% (39th)

Mahomes - 9.6% (2nd)
Burrow - 21.2% (31st)

Mahomes - 11.6% (4th)

Mahomes - 13.3% (4th)

Mahomes is the hardest QB in the league to sack. Burrow has had some very nice, flashy escapes like over the weekend but he isn't as consistent at escaping and keeping things alive as Mahomes is. The thing with Mahomes is he also creates pressure for himself. His playstyle allows defenses to pressure him easier, but it works because he is able to escape it so well. On the flip side of that, Burrow rarely creates pressure for himself, but still struggles to escape when pressure is put on him. 

Guess Burrow just takes too many sacks to even be in the picture

He does seem very hard to sack when he can actually see the pressure coming.

I’d imagine Chiefs interior line gives up less sacks than ours too and when the pressure comes from the interior it’s almost impossible to get out of those
-Housh
Reply/Quote
(11-03-2023, 04:16 PM)Housh Wrote: Guess Burrow just takes too many sacks to even be in the picture

He does seem very hard to sack when he can actually see the pressure coming.

I’d imagine Chiefs interior line gives up less sacks than ours too and when the pressure comes from the interior it’s almost impossible to get out of those

That is why we need to add a 3-tech that just rushes the passer. Love BJ Hill but he isn't a great pass rusher, just a good one.

Need a Geno around here again, or even a shadow of a Geno...
Reply/Quote
(11-02-2023, 04:51 PM)KillerGoose Wrote: Mahomes does not get pressured way less. He gets pressured more. However, it is a playstyle difference and just from watching them both, Burrow often deals with more suffocating pressure. Mahomes creates pressure on himself due to his playstyle, like the way he moves in the pocket etc. You can see this on both PFR and PFF. 

This is exactly right. 

The play Mahomes got hurt against the Jags last year in the playoffs is a prime example of this. Every KC fan wanted to burn Orlando Brown at the stake for getting Mahomes hurt. In all reality, OBJ actually won his rep. Mahomes just hung on to the ball and tried to extend the play for ENTIRELY too long. 

I'd absolutely hate to play on the OL in front of Mahomes. Wouldn't shock me if it was one of the reasons why OBJ left. 
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
Both Mahomes and Burrow like to hold the ball and try to extend - that play style naturally leads to more sacks/pressures.
Reply/Quote