Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
PFF OL grades after Week 2
Price is an absolute dumpster fire at this point. When you come in and your first play is a hold after getting punked out and straight flattened on what should have been a good play... You STINK.

What's the difference between big Ced and Billy Price? One's here and one isn't. Where's jake Fisher when you need him? Lets go interrupt his eating of Bison meat and get him Price's uni.
Reply/Quote
(09-16-2019, 12:37 PM)ochocincos Wrote: PFF has updated their grades from yesterday's games.

Good news:
Trey Hopkins is still the #1 C in the league at 76.3 (73.3 pass, 77.5 run)
John Miller has really boosted his ranking. He's now 70.5 (79.1 pass, 61.5 run)
Bobby Hart is still above 60. He's at 61.6 (62.0 pass, 56.8 run)

Bad news:
Michael Jordan down to 43.4 (52.4 pass, 39.1 run)
Andre Smith down to 53.3 (60.4 pass, 49.0 run)

so what you are saying is that we traded off problems on the right side of the line for problems on the left

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
I think if you told anyone that Bobby Hart would be hovering around a 60 after we overpaid him, most of us would be take it. Of course, that was before all of the injuries and Boling retiring happened. You can get away with a 60 if your other players are good. No one imagined he'd be our 3rd best OL right now unless Jim Turner went into his Madden ratings and edited him.

MJ is definitely struggling but that doesn't mean he's a bad player. He's still just a 4th round pick that needed seasoning to begin with but we had no other options. Boling didn't look good his rookie year either.

John Miller is indeed the best FA signing we've had in a minute. We'll have to stick with him despite his poor run blocking since Price is clearly not going to be the answer for now.

Getting Glenn back will help for Dalton. I think Mixon is still screwed no matter what though.
Reply/Quote
(09-16-2019, 01:25 PM)Daddy-O Wrote: I sure as heck noticed him on the touchdown the Boyd touchdown that got called back.  He got reverse pancaked, absolutely destroyed, just like in his first game as a pro in Indy last year.  It was embarrassing and very reflective of the whooping both lines took yesterday.

I know what a pancaking is, but what's a reverse pancaking?
Reply/Quote
The fact that Hart isn't as bad as can be is surprising really wish we could get a healthy Glenn out there at LT.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
To be fair the left side problems are the result of a string of really unfortunate events. Not sure the team could have predicted Jonah would go down, Boling would retire, and then Glenn would be out a month for a concussion. Maybe you can wish they had more contingencies but not sure anyone else in the league has gotten hit as hard at O line as us.
Reply/Quote
(09-16-2019, 12:50 PM)fredtoast Wrote: People?

You were the one who said he would not start for any other team in the league.

Geeez.. I really hate to be considered a member of people. Sing along if ya know the words! "Up, up with people...You meet em wherever you go..Up, up with people. They're the best kind of folks we know...except when evaluating football players then people kind of suck.."  (Note: That last part isn't actually part of the lyrics.. I just made it up.)  ThumbsUp
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
2 games in and they need 3 starters on the line. This is putrid management. This is another year that 90% of the fans could see the unaddressed holes. The fans that were predicting 9 or 10 Wins this year, what were you thinking? It’s cool to be optimistic but doesn’t realism have to play a part too?
Reply/Quote
(09-16-2019, 12:46 PM)bfine32 Wrote: When PS started most thought the LS of our Oline would be good (Williams/Glenn/Boling) and our RS would be garbage (Hart/Miller/Hopkins). Turns out the RS is going decent and the guy we had as backup RG is grading out as the best Center in the league. The LS has been decimated by injury

It doesn't seem to play out on the field with regard to the right side.  If those guys were so, uh, "adequate plus", I guess?  Then you'd think we'd be able to make some run plays work to that side of the line.  I'd say the same for the center rating.  There's just nowhere for anyone to go and opposing DL are in the backfield almost right away.  

SF and Seattle have legit d-lines, I'd say really good ones.  The only hope I have for this OL is that fact being the main issue in the first 2 games.  
Reply/Quote
(09-16-2019, 03:03 PM)samhain Wrote: It doesn't seem to play out on the field with regard to the right side.  If those guys were so, uh, "adequate plus", I guess?  Then you'd think we'd be able to make some run plays work to that side of the line.  I'd say the same for the center rating.  There's just nowhere for anyone to go and opposing DL are in the backfield almost right away.  

SF and Seattle have legit d-lines, I'd say really good ones.  The only hope I have for this OL is that fact being the main issue in the first 2 games.  

We need to try a lead blocker. I was told we were going to see Gio and Mixon on the field together. I don't think we've seen that yet
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(09-16-2019, 12:41 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: John Jerry is 66.6 overall. He came in and played decent at Tackle.
Billy Price 54.5. Played bad at Guard in 15 snaps.

Jerry is at 76.5 pass and 49.9 run, specifically.
For Price, he was 7.1 pass (not a typo) and 71.7 run. With that said, Price only played in two run snaps.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
Also, we need Cordy back in the worst way. Probably wouldn't hurt to scour the waiver wire, either. Wisenewski and Kalil aren't what they used to be, but if available might be able to provide some relief.

Maybe with a week of prep at LG, Billy Price can be ready to look a bit more like he belongs on a NFL field?
Reply/Quote
Did no one watch that game? hahaha
Reply/Quote
(09-16-2019, 03:04 PM)bfine32 Wrote: We need to try a lead blocker. I was told we were going to see Gio and Mixon on the field together. I don't think we've seen that yet

Wouldn't hurt.  I guess that would be a H-Back TE?  There's no fullback on this team.  Kyle J. (can't spell his last name) was pretty effective for the 9ers yesterday.  Maybe the concept shouldn't be dismissed.  

Also, for being our most used TE, Uzomah was whiffing on blocks out there yesterday.  I'd like to see our monster blocking rookie TE out there more.
Reply/Quote
(09-16-2019, 03:08 PM)samhain Wrote: Wouldn't hurt.  I guess that would be a H-Back TE?  There's no fullback on this team.  Kyle J. (can't spell his last name) was pretty effective for the 9ers yesterday.  Maybe the concept shouldn't be dismissed.  

Also, for being our most used TE, Uzomah was whiffing on blocks out there yesterday.  I'd like to see our monster blocking rookie TE out there more.

Paging Ryan Hewitt...
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
Its so frustrating because this division is wide open.Lamar Jackson more than likely won't last the season. Browns have a head coach who seems overmatched and Steelers have a middling offense with a leaky defense.
Reply/Quote
(09-16-2019, 02:15 PM)TJHoushmandzadeh Wrote: I know what a pancaking is, but what's a reverse pancaking?

It is when the woman is on top. Wink
Reply/Quote
(09-16-2019, 02:55 PM)Circleville Guy Wrote: 2 games in and they need 3 starters on the line. This is putrid management. This is another year that 90% of the fans could see the unaddressed holes. The fans that were predicting 9 or 10 Wins this year, what were you thinking? It’s cool to be optimistic but doesn’t realism have to play a part too?

To be fair, I believe those predictions were made back when people thought the OL was going to have Jonah Williams and Clint Boling.
As much of a disaster as the OL is right now, part of the reason is due to injuries.
Another is that the Bengals still have $14.5 mill in cap space.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(09-16-2019, 02:45 PM)Au165 Wrote: To be fair the left side problems are the result of a string of really unfortunate events. Not sure the team could have predicted Jonah would go down, Boling would retire, and then Glenn would be out a month for a concussion. Maybe you can wish they had more contingencies but not sure anyone else in the league has gotten hit as hard at O line as us.

I don't think Boling came completely out of the blue. Paul Dehner Jr had been talking about a Boling-less future before Free Agency. Don't think he knew the details but he seemed to be expecting them to sign a LG. In the end they traded up to draft one. I surmise that they knew there was at least a possibility.

Not predictable that Glenn would be out for a month with concussion but predictable that Glenn would miss a couple of games? Absolutely. When was the last time he played a full season?

It wasn't necessarily predictable that Jonah would be injured but even if he wasn't injured we could expect some rookie struggles.

I think they've been unfortunate with all the injuries but I think they've also been fortunate that those injuries create convenient excuses for a line that was likely to struggle anyway.
Reply/Quote
I think the best OL for this year with Jonah being out will be:
LT - Glenn
LG - Jerry
C - Hopkins
RG - Miller
RT - Hart

I'd like to see Jonah in at LT once he's back. Swing Glenn inside if the team really wants to keep him as a starter.
I'd like to see Jordan and Price competing for LG if/when the Bengals are out of playoff contention.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote