For what it is worth injury update

Smith should be ok for Sunday
Jordan is out for at least a week

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
(09-16-2019, 04:00 PM)pally Wrote: For what it is worth injury update

Smith should be ok for Sunday
Jordan is out for at least a week

If Glenn doesn't play, you have to wonder whether they will go Jerry-Price, Smith-Jerry, or Smith-Price.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(09-16-2019, 04:03 PM)ochocincos Wrote: If Glenn doesn't play, you have to wonder whether they will go Jerry-Price, Smith-Jerry, or Smith-Price.

Probably Smith at Tackle, Jerry at Guard.
Reply/Quote
(09-16-2019, 03:08 PM)samhain Wrote: Wouldn't hurt.  I guess that would be a H-Back TE?  There's no fullback on this team.  Kyle J. (can't spell his last name) was pretty effective for the 9ers yesterday.  Maybe the concept shouldn't be dismissed.  

Also, for being our most used TE, Uzomah was whiffing on blocks out there yesterday.  I'd like to see our monster blocking rookie TE out there more.

Pats seem to be doing OK with Bengal cast off James Devlin. 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(09-16-2019, 04:10 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Probably Smith at Tackle, Jerry at Guard.

That's my thought too, but it would be good to get Price snaps to find a spot for him. Right now, he's sitting in swing OL limbo. Not great for a 21st overall pick.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(09-16-2019, 04:10 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Probably Smith at Tackle, Jerry at Guard.

Jerry before Price would really be saying something about Price.

Either way look for the Bills much improved DLine to dominate at will.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(09-16-2019, 04:15 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Pats seem to be doing OK with Bengal cast off James Devlin. 

Cedric Peerman was better

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
(09-16-2019, 04:18 PM)ochocincos Wrote: That's my thought too, but it would be good to get Price snaps to find a spot for him. Right now, he's sitting in swing OL limbo. Not great for a 21st overall pick.

Unfortunately Price's natural position appears to be laying on his back on the ground.
Reply/Quote
(09-16-2019, 03:04 PM)bfine32 Wrote: We need to try a lead blocker. I was told we were going to see Gio and Mixon on the field together. I don't think we've seen that yet

Which is kind of a dead give-away as to your plan unless they have the ability to fool people, something the Bengals have not been very good at over the years..
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
This is just a random thought, but I thought Jerry did fairly well at LT week 2 against 49ers in the limited time there. Smith is better at run blocking or I at least remember this about him coming out of college.

Why not try Jerry-Smith-Hopkins-Miller-Hart until Glenn plays? Hasn't the Bengals played Smith at guard position in his prior stints with the Bengals?

I feel like a broken record but Price is the only O-Line Player that gets real push at the line. I guess his pass-pro is a problem. I feel bad for the kid, I hope he gets it together.
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
(09-16-2019, 03:22 PM)ochocincos Wrote: To be fair, I believe those predictions were made back when people thought the OL was going to have Jonah Williams and Clint Boling.
As much of a disaster as the OL is right now, part of the reason is due to injuries.
Another is that the Bengals still have $14.5 mill in cap space.

I’ll give you that but even with that, they were still thin. The LB position needed addressed too. The best players aging has to be factored in too. Key players are gonna be hurt for every team, this team is just paper thin. I get what you’re saying though.
Reply/Quote
(09-16-2019, 05:53 PM)Circleville Guy Wrote: I’ll give you that but even with that, they were still thin. The LB position needed addressed too. The best players aging has to be factored in too. Key players are gonna be hurt for every team, this team is just paper thin. I get what you’re saying though.

Completely agree. There were a lot of conditions with getting to a winning season.
Mainly it was the starters being completely healthy.
Another was the development of younger players (which could still happen).
Unfortunately, there were just too many players to replace this year.
I think even some of the younger players this year won't be on the team next year unless they take a step forward.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
Question for the group: Let’s say Jonah when he comes back, lives up to expectations. How does that help the group as a whole? (Honesty asking, not rhetorical.) Curious of what his impact at the position would be. Andy gets an extra 2-3 critical completions a game?
Reply/Quote
(09-16-2019, 05:40 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: This is just a random thought, but I thought Jerry did fairly well at LT week 2 against 49ers in the limited time there.  Smith is better at run blocking or I at least remember this about him coming out of college.  

Why not try Jerry-Smith-Hopkins-Miller-Hart until Glenn plays? Hasn't the Bengals played Smith at guard position in his prior stints with the Bengals?  

I feel like a broken record but Price is the only O-Line Player that gets real push at the line.  I guess his pass-pro is a problem.  I feel bad for the kid,  I hope he gets it together.

Yeah Smith was terrible at Guard.
Reply/Quote
(09-16-2019, 06:01 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Completely agree. There were a lot of conditions with getting to a winning season.
Mainly it was the starters being completely healthy.
Another was the development of younger players (which could still happen).
Unfortunately, there were just too many players to replace this year.
I think even some of the younger players this year won't be on the team next year unless they take a step forward.

Honestly, what position is playing better this year than last year?

We've upgraded nowhere. And coaching is arguably worse.
Reply/Quote
(09-16-2019, 09:54 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Honestly, what position is playing better this year than last year?

We've upgraded nowhere. And coaching is arguably worse.

RG is better. C is better. RT is about the same. LG and LT are worse.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(09-16-2019, 09:55 PM)ochocincos Wrote: RG is better. C is better. RT is about the same. LG and LT are worse.

Just watch as teams get tape on us. They're going to keep attacking us like the 49ers did.
Reply/Quote
(09-16-2019, 09:56 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Just watch as teams get tape on us. They're going to keep attacking us like the 49ers did.

But that’s not what you asked. You asked what upgrades were there, and I answered. Given C and RG were in the low-mid 50’s last year, it’s pretty logical to see there’s improvement without needing to be elite at those positions. Appreciate that they improved.

You should want Hopkins and Miller to keep it up. That way there’s fewer spots to worry about next offseason.

Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(09-16-2019, 10:00 PM)ochocincos Wrote: But that’s not what you asked. You asked what upgrades were there, and I answered. Given C and RG were in the low-mid 50’s last year, it’s pretty logical to see there’s improvement without needing to be elite at those positions. Appreciate that they improved.

You should want Hopkins and Miller to keep it up. That way there’s fewer spots to worry about next offseason.

Can we say the line is better when we totally can't run the ball?

I do agree that Hopkins is better than Price/Hopkins last year.

Miller in pass pro is an upgrade to what Redmond last year?
Reply/Quote
(09-16-2019, 10:27 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Can we say the line is better when we totally can't run the ball?

I do agree that Hopkins is better than Price/Hopkins last year.

Miller in pass pro is an upgrade to what Redmond last year?

Last year (2018):
Glenn-Boling-Price-Redmond-Hart
That line led to the AFC leader rusher but I do not think pass-pro was all that good and Redmond and Hart were penalty machines.  4.7 ypc.

This Year during the preseason:  
Glenn-Jerry-Price-Miller-Hart

I forget when Glenn was injured but I thought he played most preseason games and I know preseason has so many variables like rotation of players, and limited talent sample pool.  Nevertheless, Bengals had 227 total rushing yards at 3.0 ypc.  Price was the only lineman I saw get any push.  Constant from 2018 was Glenn-Price-Hart.

So now in regular season:
Jerry/Smith-Jordan-Hopkins-Miller-Hart 

59 TOTAL Yards rushing in two games at 1.8 ypc.  I know Hopkins is top rated center but I do not see evidence that he is good at line push.  The only constant between 2018 and 2019 regular season thus far is Hart.  

Maybe Pollack was a better coach than Turner.  I don't know.    This line is worse than it was in 2018 and we are talking about 2018 Hart and Redmond...
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote